Thread: Sampson Blake Oguntope Sentenced to LWOP in 2012 TX Slaying of Faye Grey

Sampson Blake Oguntope Sentenced to LWOP in 2012 TX Slaying of Faye Grey

Sampson Blake Oguntope

Death penalty to be sought in two capital murder cases

Two defendants in separate pending capital murder cases in Lubbock will face the possibility of the ultimate punishment.

District Attorney Matt Powell said notices of intent to seek the death penalty have been filed in the murder of a Slaton woman last February, and the murder of a Lubbock restaurant employee in December of 2011.

Sampson Oguntope, 21, is accused of two counts of capital murder in the shooting death of 89-year-old Faye Grey. One count alleges the crime was committed during an aggravated sexual assault; the other alleges Gray was killed during the burglary of her home. A trial date for Oguntope has not been set yet.

Brian Suniga, 33, is accused of capital murder in the shooting death of One Guy restaurant employee David Rowser during the robbery of that 50th Street business.

Suniga's trial is set for September. Powell said no decision has been made on whether to seek the death penalty for the co-defendant in that case, 29 year-old Sesilio Lopez, Jr., whose trial date has not been set yet. Powell said determining whether to seek the ultimate penalty requires time to complete a thorough investigation.

"We want to make sure, especially because of the severity of the case and the severity of the punishment, we want to make sure everything is done appropriately," Powell said. "We want to make sure the defense has had ample time to do what they need to do. The labs and investigators and everybody has had plenty of time and has done everything they need to get done."

Powell said another key factor is a detailed and thorough investigation of the defendants themselves in capital murder cases.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/loc...3DwrCJ3rw.cspx
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Man accused in 2012 Slaton death ruled incompetent to stand trial

The man accused of killing an 89-year-old Slaton woman 16 months ago has been found incompetent to stand trial and has been sent to a state hospital for evaluation and treatment.

District Judge John J. McClendon III signed a commitment order April 16 for accused killer Sampson Blake Oguntope, 22, and ordered him committed to the North Texas State Hospital for no more than 120 days.

According to McClendon’s order, Oguntope is to be evaluated to determine if treatment would render him sufficiently competent to stand trial at a later date.

Oguntope was charged in the shooting death of Faye Bowen Gray in February 2012.

A month later, a Lubbock County grand jury indicted him on two counts of capital murder, alleging Gray’s death occurred while Oguntope was trying to commit two other felonies, burglary of a habitation and attempted sexual assault.

Lubbock County Criminal District Attorney Matt Powell filed notice of intent to seek the death penalty in the case. No trial date has been set.

Oguntope had been behaving in an unusual away on the morning of the murder, Slaton police said at the time.

Officers questioned him after receiving several reports he had gone to people’s homes, knocked on their doors and asked them when they planned to leave for work, how long they would be gone and when they expected to come back.

He told officers he was looking for a woman he knew but had the wrong address.

http://lubbockonline.com/crime-and-c...l#.UYOlb0r4KB8

January 10, 2014

Oguntope to have competence determined by jury trial

By KCBD Staff

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Attorneys for a Lubbock man arrested for the murder of a Slaton woman in 2012 went before a grand jury to determine his competency to stand trial on Friday.

22-year-old Sampson Blake Oguntope was found incompetent to stand trial in April 2013 and was sent to a state hospital in Vernon, TX for further observation.

Oguntope's doctor found him to be competent in August, but Oguntope's attorneys filed a motion objecting those findings. A judge considered this objection on Friday and decided the issue will be decided in a jury trial. A jury will consider Oguntope's competence later this month.

Oguntope was arrested in February 2012 for the murder of 89-year-old Faye Gray in Slaton.

Gray's caretaker, 21-year-old Megan Moore, was also shot in the altercation, but was able to escape.

The jury trial will be held later this month.

http://www.kcbd.com/story/24417927/o...-by-jury-trial

Ebola virus holds up Lubbock County capital murder trial

The Ebola virus is now impacting a Lubbock murder trial.

Defense attorneys for 23-year-old Sampson Oguntope want to delay his trial.

Oguntope is charged with the 2012 shooting of 89-year-old Fay Gray.

Gray was shot inside her Slaton home.

Gray's caretaker was also injured in the attack.

Oguntope faces the death penalty if convicted.

A tentative trial date has been set for January of next year.

But the defense says they need more time, and the Ebola outbreak in Africa is just one reason why.

Attorneys say they need to speak with Oguntope's family to investigate his background.

But his grandfather and extended family live in Nigeria.

They say travel to the country is difficult right now due to the political unrest and the spread of Ebola into that country.

The defense has asked that the trial date be moved back to a year from now and are waiting for a response to their motion filed on Friday.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Stro07's Avatar
    Now that's a creative one. BTW Nigeria is by now officially Ebola-free.

January 23, 2015

Jury selection to begin in Sampson Oguntope murder trial

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Jury selection is scheduled to begin Monday in the capital murder trial of 23-year-old Sampson Blake Oguntope.

Oguntope is charged with the shooting death of 89-year-old Faye Gray of Slaton.

Police found Gray dead inside her home from an apparent gunshot wound back in February of 2012.

Authorities say there were also signs of sexual assault.

Court documents say Gray's caretaker, 21-year-old Megan Moore was also shot, but managed to make it out of the home and run to a neighbor for help.

Oguntope was a walk-on for the Texas Tech track team, but was cut in April 2010.

Jury selection is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Monday in the 137th District Court.

http://www.kcbd.com/story/27927551/j...e-murder-trial

February 22, 2018

Sampson Oguntope Still Awaits Capital Murder Trial Six Years After Arrest

Victim's Friends Seeking Justice...

By Elizabeth Pace
    everythinglubbock.com

LUBBOCK, TX - The criminal defense attorney representing Sampson Oguntope, 27, who was indicted for capital murder delayed his trial once again after filing the fourth motion to declare the defendant is incompetent to stand trial.

Oguntope is accused of shooting and killing an 81-year-old women in her home in Slaton in 2012. Records state he allegedly broke into her home around 1 P.M. and killed "Faye Grey." The suspect also tried to assault her 21-year-old caregiver with a firearm.

She was able to escape and see help from neighbors.

"I personally was shocked," neighbor Patsy Warshaw said. "She was so gentle and so kind to have met such a violent death."

Patsy and her husband Ronnie said they were both at work when incident occurred. They came home to a blocked off street filled with Slaton Police, Lubbock County Sheriff deputies, and Texas Rangers.

"You would never think anything like this would happen in our neighborhood," Ronnie Warshaw said.

They said Texas Rangers camped out in their garage while they conducted a city-wide manhunt for the suspect.

Oguntope was later arrested in Lubbock.

An online article on the Texas Tech University Athletics website showed Oguntope was a freshmen on the Track and Field team from 2009 to 2010. He is originally from a town in the Houston area.

On the six-year anniversary of his arrest, the Warshaws said they want justice for their friend.

"Something needs to be done," Patsy said. "The family needs closure. I think this neighborhood would like to see closure, would like to see it get taken care of."

Court documents stated Oguntope changed to a new defense attorney within two years of his arrest, initially delaying his trial.

Several more months went by after his family from Nigeria could not travel overseas to testify after becoming ill from Ebola.

However, the biggest delay came after his new defense attorneys claimed the 27-year-old is not competent to stand trial. Court documents stated they have filed four motions for competency over six years.

The latest motion was filed on Monday, delaying the trial once again.

http://www.everythinglubbock.com/new...rest/987413668
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Accused killer Sampson Oguntope found competent to stand trial

District judge finds Oguntope mentally capable of standing trial more than ten years after original accusation.

By Anthony Hall
    KCBD

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - On Thursday, a district judge in Lubbock found Sampson Oguntope, previously indicted for capital murder in the death of Faye Gray, 89, in 2012, competent to stand trial.

Judge Trey McClendon found Oguntope incompetent in 2013, issuing a civil commitment order due to his mental illness. Judge McClendon reversed that finding Thursday, clearing the way for the Lubbock County District Attorney to continue pursuing charges against Oguntope.

District Attorney K. Sunshine Stanek said Thursday night she is awaiting a court date to resume those proceedings.

Slaton police found Gray shot dead on Feb. 21, 2012 in the 1400 block o West Crosby; her caretaker, Megan Moore, was also shot, but escaped to call 911. Investigators arrested Oguntope later that afternoon, reporting blood in his home may have come from the scene, as well as “more than enough” evidence to link Oguntope to the crime.

A specially-convened grand jury indicted Oguntope on two capital murder charges later that year, finding Oguntope killed Gray after sexually assaulting her. At the time, then-district attorney Matt Powell filed intent to pursue the death penalty against Oguntope.

In 2013, Judge McClendon found Oguntope incompetent to stand trial for that crime, and ordered him to undergo mental health treatment at the North Texas State Hospital. His original commitment was for 120 days.

Oguntope, now 31, was released from commitment in September 2021, and is being held in the Lubbock County Detention Center on $5 million bond.

https://www.fox34.com/2022/08/04/acc...t-stand-trial/

I'm calling it now, Oguntope is going to death row.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Man sentenced to life for capital murder of 89-year-old Slaton woman

By KCBD Staff

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - After a decade of being deemed unfit to stand trial, Sampson Oguntope has pleaded guilty to the 2012 murder of 89-year-old Faye Gray.

He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole on Friday.

Slaton police found Gray dead on Feb 21, 2012, according to reports. Both Gray and her caretaker, Megan Moore, had been shot.

Gray died from her injuries, but Moore was able to escape and call the Slaton police. The women had been shot in the 1400 block of West Crosby.

Oguntope was arrested later that afternoon after investigators found blood and other evidence in his home, according to police.

A grand jury indicted Oguntope on two Capital murder charges later that year. The jury also found that Oguntope sexually assaulted the 89-year-old before killing her.

In 2013, Oguntope was deemed unfit to stand trial by Judge Trey McClendon due to mental illness. However, the judge reversed that decision on Aug 4, allowing Oguntope to be charged.

Moore’s parents have issued statements directed at Oguntope. The statements are transcribed below the images of each letter.

Megan Moore's mother's victim statement 2(The Family of Megan Moore)Sampson Blake Oguntope

February 21, 2012 will you remember that day?
    I am Megan’s mother and I remember that day every day. You raped and murdered Faye Gray leaving her family with an unbearable loss.
    You raped, beat and shot my daughter leaving her for dead. Megan has scars physically and mentally to remind her of that day. She had to fight to live and she did. She had to overcome 3 brain surgeries, learn to feed herself and to walk again but she did. It took her 4 long years to overcome what you did to her physically. She still has bullet fragments in her head, she still gets headaches and has hearing loss and you caused that. You have caused my family so much pain and financial hardship that we did not ask for. You have caused my family to have hate, anger and fear in our hearts. The insecurities we feel and not trusting.
    You took a life and tried to take another and not once have you ever been remorseful.
    You will never have your own family, go on a picnic, go to the movies, have family at Thanksgiving or watch the kid’s faces at Christmas.
    So remember February 21, 2012 because Sampson Oguntope you caused that!

Jo Ray

8/11/2022

Megan Moore's father's victim statement(The Family of Megan Moore)8/12/22

Sampson where do I truly start with this letter that I am writing? First of all the hurt and pain you have caused will never be forgotten! You see I am Megan’s dad and as a dad you always want to protect your children. You have caused me a lot of pain knowing that I failed at that key role as a dad. You have caused not only my family pain but yours as well. Your actions on that day has created your dad and mom to never be able to enjoy the simple task of hugging your neck ever again, but for me I can! Sampson you tried your very best to take that away from me and you failed! You have caused us to question so many things in this life and you failed at that as well. As a Christian I pray for your family that they can find peace with your decision and actions you have done. We have waited for 10 years for this day of justice while you played the system to save your life. Sampson you will never know the beauty of becoming a dad, a husband, and watching a life come into this world, but you see Sampson I get to watch my Megan move forward today and put this horrible crime you did behind her, and start the healing process. So truly at the end of the day she won Sampson. Good overcame evil. May God have mercy on your soul and forgive you for the horrible deeds you have done.

Andy

https://www.fox34.com/2022/08/12/sampson-oguntope-sentenced-life-prison-capital-murder-89-year-old-slaton-woman/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information