Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Governor Scott Execution Warrant Discussion

bem17356
    I confess I've not looked into this. Is there a chance that Florida has a drug shortage, as this might at least help explain why Governor Scott has such a case of the slows when it comes to setting dates. I do not think this is a case of dithering on the part of Governor Scott. There is also talk of "The Liberal Media" kicking up a fuss about executions.....well that's just par for the course. If the Governor can't take the heat from Liberal Media, then he should find a new job in the private sector.
    Last edited by bem17356; 09-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Theres no drug shortage. The Governor just doesn't want to clog the Florida Supreme Court with emergency D.P appeals. It's Governor Crist's fault theres such a backlog right now with over 92 death elegible inmates ready to be executed. I believe the Governor is targeting the oldest cases first as stated. That's not a bad thing, just wish they wouldn't let scum like Guy Gamble sit there for 6 years with no appeal

I ran into Bill McCollum about 3 years ago at a Wendy's in Miami. He was running for Governor and Crist for US Senate at the time. I asked him since he was the AG, why Crist didn' t follow through with a lot of warrants once Baze was decided.

I caught him off guard and he was sort of confused. I opined that since Crist was seeking the Senate seat, he didn' t seem concerned with death row anymore. I suggested to him to change the statute to have the circuit court where the inmate was sentenced set the execution dates upon request from the AG. I told him and his aide several states perform it that way. McCollum said he would look into it and thanked me for my input. McCollum lost to Scott in the primary and nothing ever happened. Go figure.

I wonder how Bill McCollum would have done signing death warrants. I still believe Governor Scott is doing quite a good job.Like you stated, it was previous Governor Charlie Crist that created this backlog of death row inmates who are elegible for execution.

Governor Scott's still been awfully slow. With the backlog as bad as it is, he really can't sign multiple death warrants or, say, two a month? Other states have been able to handle executions on consecutive days (or even multiple ones on the same day). Of course, nobody in the press has really probed into this, which is somewhat surprising given what a hot-button topic capital punishment is.

We can look at this way. True, Scott has signed 5 in the last 14 months. But, he took 6 months to sign his first one and just took a 5 month break until Ferguson's. It adds up to inconsistency and uncertainty.

In my opinion, the large numbers of eligible inmates are too much stress for a Governor. Like I said before, with Crist running for US Senate and the amount of warrants he would have to sign made him hesistant.

The Florida statute should be changed to be similar the one in Texas where the state district judge orders the execution. Takes the politics out of the Governors mansion. There would be a clemency hearing as well by the board and Governor.

I'm not gonna lie to you, I actually wrote to a couple Florida Legislators a little over 1 year ago pushing for the exact same thing. Executions to be scheduled by the State district Judge. It's to much for the Governor to handle. PA Governor's have been doing well in signing off warrants. I see no reason why Florida Governors have been slow as molasses.
    Last edited by Moh; 09-11-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: No vulgarity - click on the forum rules at the bottom of the page

I suggested this to Jeb Bush many years ago and a couple of local legislators as well. I have received an impression throughout the years that it is not important to them. None of the persons would engage me in a conversation about it.

It just amazes me that Florida spends so much money and the time it takes to handle the seemingly endless appeals only to have it stonewalled at the Governor' s office.

Manuel Valle, Oba Chandler, Robert Waterhouse, David Gore and John Ferguson all had no pending litigation in state or federal court when their death warrants were signed by Governor Scott. Waterhouse went 6 years without an appeal. I know the Governor looks at each case individually but all inmates who have been through state and federal court but have pending successive postconviction motions I highly doubt will see a warrant signed on them. For example, Bryan Jennings or Etheria Jackson.. Inmates like Ian Lightbourne, Eddie Davis and Elmer Carroll I believe are at the top of the Governors list right about now... 2 of them being child killers with no pending appeals for years

I guess they have to be ready for it but it seems odd that there would be any legitimate filings after 2 years of nada.[/QUOTE]

Theres numerous inmates who havent filed appeals in 2+ years. GUY GAMBLE is one and needs to be executed a.s.a.p. Guy Gamble needs a death warrant and I keep pressuring the Gov to just sign off on this dirtbag already. William Lee Thompson, John Marquard, Eddie, Davis, Elmer Carroll, Ian Lightbourne, Louis Gaskin, and several other inmates all have been without appeal;s for several years. Its ashame the Gov is taking such a slow time in carrying out the sentences

He just signs off on one warrant at a time but he seems to do it consistently after each execution... thats minus the 5 month lapse he let happen after the execution of David Gore

Scott has never had two warrants active at once so I wouldn't expect anything soon if ever in his term. The way he is going, he is never going to be re-elected.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information