Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Evans Sentenced in 2012 TX Slaying of Mother and Sister

Jake Evans Sentenced in 2012 TX Slaying of Mother and Sister

October 05, 2012

Jake Evans 911 Call: Texas Teen Who Gunned Down Mother And Sister Was 'Planning On Killing'

A chilling recording of a 911 call captured a 17-year-old Texas boy telling the operator in a calm, monotone voice that he had just shot his mother and sister multiple times.

Jake Evans, 17, has been charged with capital murder in the deaths of his mother and 15-year-old sister and remained jailed Friday without bond.

The double slaying in the family's upscale home in Aledo, about 20 miles west of Fort Worth, happened while Evans' father was out of town on business and his two older sisters were not home. The motive remains "a big mystery," Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler said Friday.

During a 25-minute call to a 911 operator that started about 12:30 a.m. Thursday, Evans calmly says he just shot his mother and sister with a .22 revolver. He answers "yes" when asked if he's sure they are dead.

"It's weird," he says as the operator continues asking questions. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

He adds that he could have shot "pretty much anybody." When asked why, he says first that he doesn't know but then says he doesn't like people's attitudes.

Evans tells the Parker County 911 operator that his mother and sister were rude, but he also says his sister, Mallory, had a really sweet side.

"This is probably selfish of me to say, but to me, I felt like they were suffocating me in a way," he says. "Obviously, you know, I'm pretty – I guess – evil."

Evans describes shooting his mother several times and then, as his sister screams, shooting her in the head three times. He recalls apologizing to her and telling her to "hold still ... that, you know, I was just going to just make it go away."

Toward the end of the call but before deputies arrive at his house, Evans tells the operator that he's "going to be messed up." He says he's worried about having nightmares and asks if there's medication to treat that.

"I don't mean to sound like a wimp or anything, but this is – wow. I've never done anything violent in my life, you know?" he says. Later, he's heard taking deep breaths, as the operator has instructed. "I just thought it would be quick, you know? I didn't want them to feel any pain. That's why I used a gun, but it's like everything just went wrong."

Fowler said Evans was the only suspect in the deaths.

Evans and his sister Mallory were being home-schooled. Evans had played on the golf team before withdrawing from Aledo High School in January. He played football in middle school.

Mallory Evans "was a sweet child that will be missed by her friends and school family," Aledo schools superintendent Doug Manning said in a statement.

Jami Evans, 48, was an elementary teacher and assistant principal for the Aledo school system for 15 years, and "her dedication to her students and her love of learning was an inspiration to all who knew her," Manning said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1943623.html

Capital murder charge will stand against teen accused of killing mom, sister

The capital murder charge against the Parker County teen who confessed to killing his mother and sister will stand, despite his lawyer's argument to lessen it.

Jake Evans' attorney contends that the charge should be dropped, because the U.S. Supreme Court has already ruled that 17-year-olds can't be executed or held for life without parole. Under Texas law, those are the only punishment options for capital murder.

"The state is in a situation where they don't have a punishment they can apply to him," said Larry Moore, Evans' defense attorney.

He pleaded his case in a Weatherford courtroom Wednesday. Judge Graham Quisenberry declined to consider that motion, but did agree to set bail for Evans at $750,000.

Jacob, who goes by Jake, appeared skinny and pale, wearing a checked shirt and baggy blue pants. He said nothing. He's accused of killing his mother Jami and his 15-year-old sister Mallory in October at their Parker County home.

Jacob's father, Darryl Evans, briefly testified for the defense, but said he would not use his personal assets to guarantee bond.

Moore said the capital murder question will get an expedited hearing in an appeals court before Evans' case goes to trial several months from now.

Prosecutors say the Texas legislature is working on a bill to fix the problem, which stems from a Supreme Court decision last year. But Moore says any legislative solution can't be retroactively applied to Jake Evans.

He said other capital murder cases in Texas also could be affected. If the charge against Evans is reduced to murder, attorneys say he would face 40 years in prison before becoming eligible for parole.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Teen-...188086371.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Hollywood Movie ‘Halloween’ Inspired Me To Kill My Mother And Sister, Says Teen

A teenager suspected of brutally murdered his mother and sister claims the 2007 horror flick Halloween inspired the grisly slaying, according to his shocking confession released by a Texas judge.“While watching it I was amazed at how at ease the boy was during the murders and how little remorse he had afterword [sic]. I was thinking to myself it would be the same for me when I kill someone,” 17-year-old Jake Evans wrote in the confession that was made public on Thursday by Parker County Judge Graham Quisenberry, reported the Huffington Post.

The high schooler turned real life horror character allegedly murdered his mother, Jamie Evans, 48, and his 15-year-old sister, Mallory, at their opulent home in Aledo, Texas, in October 2012. Just hours after his arrest, police say that he wrote a four-page confession revealing how he watched the Rob Zombie Halloween remake three times a week.

A prequel of John Carpenter’s 1978 slasher movie, Halloween tells the story of the early years of fictional serial killer Michael Myers, who as a 10-year-old, butchers several people, including his older sister, his sister’s boyfriend and his mother’s boyfriend.

“After I watched the movie I put it back in the case and threw it in the trashcan so that people wouldn’t think that it influenced me in any way,” Evans wrote, according to police.

On the day of the murders, the troubled teen watched his favorite movie, played golf, and then contemplatedmurdering his family. “My plan was to kill my sister and my mom at my house and then go over to my grandparents and kill my oldest sister, Emily, and my two grandparents. Then I was going to wait until morning and kill my other sister, Audrey, because she was visiting from college,” the confession reads.

According to his confession, he initially planned to use a folding knife so they would feel excruciating pain, but then decided to shoot his victims with a .22 revolver he had stolen from his grandfather so they wouldn’t “feel anything.”

It was 11.30 pm by the time Jamie went through with his deadly plan and enter his sister’s bedroom. “I shot her in the back and then in the head. I ran down to the study and shot my mom three times,” he revealed.

Afterward, he began to empty the gun when he heard noises and realized his sister was not dead; he yelled out he was sorry then shot her again. Police said he then went back to his mother’s body and fired another shot into her head.

“Very shocked and scared, I placed the gun on the kitchen counter and walked into the living room to dial 911,” said Evans.

He has been charged with one count of capital murder and two counts of murder. Judge Quisenberry approved a request for $750,000 bond but the boy’s father, who was out of town on business at the time of the murders, said he would not bail out his son.

A trial date has not yet been set.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=964_1...449&comments=1

Nah, it wasn't the movie. It was the golf. All that time alone doing something pointless. It was the golf.
    As he came from a good family I hope the jail he goes to has a decent course.

Diggler
    Diggling is a serious matter. Trust me. I diggle.

Jake Evans' older sister loves him, despite accusations that he killed mother, sister

Ever wonder about unconditional love?

Like, how can someone continue to love a child accused of a horrific crime inflicted on his own family?

Consider 17-year-old Jake Evans, jailed on suspicion of killing his mother and little sister nearly four months ago in Parker County.

On Thursday, court officials released his handwritten confession in which he described the deaths. He also admitted that he considered killing other family members.

His father testified Wednesday that the family wouldn’t pay Jake’s bail. It’s hard to imagine the painful dilemmas this family endures.

But Jake’s older sister, Audrey, gives you a glimpse in a statement to the Star-Telegram.

The killings, she said, “taught me that God was completely right with the fact that we all need EACH OTHER.”

"As far as my brother goes, I love him."

Read her entire statement here.

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/crime...of-murder.html

As Jake Evans Trial Looms, Texas Has No Way to Punish 17-Year-old Capital Murderers

In October of last year, at around 11:15 p.m., 17-year-old Jake Evans placed a 911 call from his upscale home in Aledo, a tony suburb just outside of Weatherford.

"It's weird," he said, his voice eerily calm as he spoke with the operator. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

According to his written confession, he knocked on sister Mallory's bedroom door and told her their mother had asked for her. He allegedly shot her in the head and in the back when she opened the door, then ran downstairs to the study, where he said he shot his mother, Jamie, three times. Evans says he began to empty the .22 revolver, but heard his 15-year-old sister's moans. He yelled out, "I'm sorry," returned to her bedroom and shot her once more.

"My plan was to kill my sister and my mom at my house and then go over to my grandparents and kill my oldest sister, Emily, and my two grandparents," he wrote. "Then I was going to wait until morning and kill my other sister, Audrey, because she was visiting from college."

He said he lost his taste for killing, though, as he watched his family die.

If convicted, Evans would obviously be the kind of killer best kept off the streets for a very, very long time. The law in Texas virtually assures this. Capital murder carries with it either a death sentence or life imprisonment without parole. And because Evans is 17, he can be charged as an adult. Yet in the eyes of the U.S. Supreme Court, he's a minor. Either punishment, the high court ruled, is unconstitutional.

This legal limbo for 17-year-old capital killers in Texas places courts in a precarious spot, because technically there is no legal punishment for them; prosecutors have no choice but to charge them with a lesser crime and risk putting them back on the streets. And a piece of legislation that would have addressed this constitutional gap in the criminal code failed to meet the legislature's deadline Tuesday night.

A bill proposed by state Senator Joan Huffman of Houston would have injected a little flexibility into state sentencing guidelines. It wouldn't apply retroactively to Evans' case, but it could establish a life sentence with the possibility of parole for capital offenders. At a January hearing, the judge declined to rule on whether Evans can be tried on charges for which no punishment exists. The case is set to go to trial July 22.

The Texas District and County Attorneys Association wants the issue resolved this session

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...d_in_sente.php

Aledo teen accused of killing his mom and sister is in capital murder limbo

Jake Evans, the Parker County teenager accused of killing his mother and sister last fall and then calmly calling 911 to report what he had done, was indicted on a capital murder charge in December and remains in jail.

But because Evans was 17 at the time, his case is in legal limbo.

Under Texas law, 17-year-olds are adults and thus subject to adult criminal penalties. In a Texas capital murder case, there are only two possible sentences: death or life in prison without possibility of parole.

But the U.S. Supreme Court sets adulthood at age 18. In two cases, the high court has ruled that defendants younger than 18 may not be executed or sentenced to life without parole.

That means that Parker County prosecutors may take Evans to trial on the capital murder charge, but if he is convicted, then what? There is no sentence to assess.

There are 24 other cases of 17-year-old capital murder defendants pending in Texas, according to the Texas District and County Attorneys Association, which went to the Legislature hoping to get the law changed to get Texas in line with the Supreme Court ruling.

In North Texas in addition to Evans, Dallas, Ellis and Collin counties have one case each. Harris County has 12.

The prosecutors association supports a capital murder sentence for 17-year-olds of life with the possibility of parole in 40 years.

“This is the sentence that is already in place for juvenile offenders under the age of 17,” Parker County prosecutor Jeff Swain said. “What this law would do is match the 17-year-old offender’s punishment to those who are younger than him rather than those who are older than him.”

During the regular session of the Legislature, bills to establish such sentencing sailed through the Senate but were derailed in the House. The bills were revived in the special session, and last week, the Senate again unanimously approved the new punishment of life in prison with the possibility of parole after 40 years.

On Wednesday, the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee passed a similar bill 7-2 and sent it to the full House, which is expected to vote before the end of the 30-day special session next week.

But its future there is uncertain. Some representatives said they will try to amend the law to make it harsher. But there is only a week left in the session.

Stopped by chubbing

In the regular session, Sen. Joan Huffman, R-Houston, introduced Senate Bill 187 to establish the punishment. The bill passed Senate and House committees and was approved unanimously by the full Senate.

But it didn’t make it through the House.

“There was a long calendar of bills that day and the calendar was taken in order,” said Rep. Phil King, R-Weatherford. “When SB187 was near the top, just 10 bills away from a vote, the bill to require drug testing of welfare recipients came up for final vote.”

King said Democrats filibustered the drug-testing bill, a practice called chubbing, until time ran out at midnight and the bill calendar died.

Swain said that 16 Texas district attorneys wrote Gov. Rick Perry a letter asking that he put the issue on the agenda for the special session. King said he delivered a letter from Parker County District Attorney Don Schnebly to Perry making the same request. And King filed a bill for the special session.

Last week, Perry added the issue to the special session agenda.

Again, Huffman’s bill authorizing the new punishment moved smoothly through the Senate, which approved it 27-0 on Friday night.

On Tuesday, the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee had a hearing on the bill. Some members said they felt conflicted about approving the proposed punishments, The Associated Press reported.

Rep. Stefani Carter, R-Dallas, said she was “really torn here because we do only have eight days” to pass legislation.

Rep. Terry Canales, D-Edinburg, said that the Senate-approved bill is a short-term solution to a broader problem. “Closing the gap doesn’t solve the problem to me,” Canelas said. “It sounds like we have a problem with the law altogether.”

Canelas filed a bill that to let judges sentence 17-year-olds in a range from 25 to 99 years.

Harris County Chief Public Defender Alex Bunin told the committee that the state already has the tools to appropriately punish a 17-year-old who commits murder. He pointed out that a jury could sentence such a teen to 99 years in jail.

“We have not restricted the prosecutors’ tools,” Bunin said. But “right now they want a sledgehammer.”

On Wednesday, after approving the Senate bill, House members clarified that they will amend it on the House floor to include harsher sentences, such as life without parole, The Associated Press reported.

Committee Chairman Abel Herrero, D-Robstown, said such punishment should be kept as an option “especially for those heinous crimes.” Other lawmakers echoed the sentiment.

“I'm voting aye, with the understanding that we are going to put life without parole back on the table. … That would allow the most heinous criminals to be put away forever,” said Rep. Matt Schaefer, R-Tyler. “But also to satisfy Supreme Court concerns.”

Supreme Court cases

The relevant Supreme Court cases were Roper v. Simmons, decided in 2005, and Miller v. Alabama, decided in June 2012.

“The Roper case held that it was unconstitutional to apply the death penalty to juvenile offenders,” Swain said. “Miller held that it was unconstitutional to have a mandatory sentence for a juvenile offender of life without the possibility of parole.”

Opponents of the proposed new Texas punishment argue that it does little to address the court’s key concerns in the Miller case, one of which was the mandatory nature of capital sentences. The court wrote, “The mandatory penalty schemes at issue here, however, prevent the sentencer from considering youth and from assessing whether the law’s harshest term of imprisonment proportionately punishes a juvenile offender.”

Lauren Rose, a juvenile justice policy associate at the nonprofit advocacy organization Texans Care for Children, said the court opinion indicates that juries and judges ought to have more latitude in deciding sentences for young offenders. They should be able to consider whether factors such as age, home environment, peer pressure and other influences mean that an offender should receive a lesser sentence than life. They should also be able to weigh the greater likelihood of a young person to be rehabilitated, she said.

“Individualized sentencing, I think, is really necessary to address the crux of the Miller decision,” Rose told The Texas Tribune.

This report includes material from The Associated Press, The Texas Tribune and the Star-Telegram archives.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06...#storylink=cpy

Bill clears hurdle for prosecuting Jake Evans, but critics predict problems

The Texas House of Representatives has passed SB to overcome a legal impasse that has blocked the prosecution of 17-year-old defendants accused of capital crimes — including Aledo teenager Jake Evans, who has been in jail since October of 2012 after being charged in the killing of his mother and sister.

SB23 would create a new sentencing option for 17-year-old capital defendants, establishing a punishment of life with the eligibility of parole after 40 years in prison.

But some lawmakers said the House invited further legal problems by allowing judges and juries to also consider life without parole in “mitigating circumstances.”

Read more here: http://blogs.star-telegram.com/crime...#storylink=cpy

Pre-trial appeal denied for accused killer Jake Evans

A Texas appeals court has rejected a pre-trial appeal for teen Jake Evans, whose lawyers argued that it was unconstitutional to keep him in jail on capital murder charges in the slayings last October of his mother and sister.

Evans, now 18, has been held at the Parker County Jail since Oct. 4, 2012. He is accused in the slayings of mother Jami Evans, 48, and 15-year-old sister, Mallory.

He was 17 during the killings at the family’s upscale home in the Parker County community of Annetta South.

In his appeal hearing in January, Evans’ legal team asserted that his incarceration for capital murder was unconstitutional because of his age at the time of the killings.

Seventeen-year-olds are considered adults in Texas and faced the same penalties for capital murder — death or life in prison without possibility of parole.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that 17-year-olds are juveniles and that both punishments are unconstitutional for juveniles.

However, the state Legislature last month amended capital murder sentencing statues so that defendants under age 18 can now be punished with life in prison with parole possible after 40 years, instead of the death penalty or life with out possibility of parole.

Therefore, the Second District Court of Appeals in Fort Worth on Thursday rejected the appeal and affirmed the bond amount of $750,000.

Evans remained in jail on Friday. His lawyer has 30 days to file a request for a review before the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, said Jeff Swain, Parker County assistant district attorney.

He added that this high court “is not required to consider the appeal, but has the discretion to do so.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/08...#storylink=cpy

Evans’ attorneys appeal to high court

Defense attorneys for teen capital murder suspect Jacob Ryan Evans, accused of killing his mother and younger sister last year at the age of 17, are appealing an appellate court’s decision last month that allows prosecutors to move forward with a capital murder case.

Evans’ attorneys filed a petition for discretionary review in the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, asking that the state’s highest criminal court consider the case.

Authorities say Evans repeatedly shot his mother, 48-year-old Jami Evans, and sister, 15-year-old Mallory Evans, on Oct. 4 at their Annetta South residence before calling 911 and confessing to the double homicide.

Last month a state appeals court rejected an appeal by Evans, who is arguing that his incarceration on a charge of capital murder is unconstitutional.

Evan’s court-appointed defense team appealed to the Second Court of Appeals regarding a decision in January by 415th District Judge Graham Quisenberry to deny a request to release Evans on the capital murder charge he is facing.

Attorneys for Evans, who was also indicted on two counts of first-degree felony murder, argued that he should not be held on the capital murder charge because he was 17 years old at the time of the alleged offense. The U.S. Supreme Court had previously ruled the only two punishments allowed for capital murder under Texas law at that time – death or life imprisonment without the possibility of parole – are unconstitutional for those under 18.

After Quisenberry’s decision, Gov. Rick Perry signed a bill into law July 22 that amends sentencing rules to require that a defendant found guilty of capital murder as a 17-year-old be sentenced to life with the possibility of parole after 40 years. The legislation is expressly intended to apply to offenses committed prior to that date.

Though Evans’ defense argued that the law cannot be constitutionally applied retroactively, the Second Court of Appeals panel of judges declined to consider that argument in their decision, leaving Quisenberry’s order standing.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has the discretion on whether to consider Evans’ appeal.

http://weatherforddemocrat.com/newst....qoR0rvn3.dpuf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information