Thread: Andrew Lancaster - California

Andrew Lancaster - California

Facts of the Crime:

Witnesses, primarily his two accomplices, testified that Andrew Lancaster kidnapped and shot Michael Taylor on April 23, 1996 in a dispute over a transmitter and other equipment for a planned microwave radio station. Taylor, 45, was a former homeless resident of Los Angeles and an African-American activist who had hosted “Community Forum” on KPFK, a left-leaning FM station. After leaving KPFK, he had planned to start an unlicensed radio station with two friends, Robert Marston and Tyrone Floyd, the pair testified.

Marston and Floyd explained that Lancaster, who also went by Hodari Lumumba but took the name Mustafa Ibn Talib after converting to Islam while in custody, was an associate of Mzee Shambulia, an activist who supposedly had offered to help fund the “people’s radio station.”

Marston said he and Taylor became concerned that Shambulia really did not want to work with them, and also that he wanted to start a commercial operation rather than a donor-financed, independent station, so they decided not to deliver any equipment to Shambulia’s group. When Shambulia sent Marston a $220 money order in April 1996, Marston returned it.

Taylor, Marston testified, told him that Lancaster had called him and threatened that “things would get rough” if they did not produce the equipment. A couple of days later, Taylor disappeared; a witness who heard gunshots called police, who found his body.

Lancaster was sentenced to death on September 16, 1998 in Los Angeles County.

On May 24, 2007, the California Supreme Court affirmed Lancaster's sentence on direct appeal.

http://scocal.stanford.edu/opinion/p...ancaster-33730

On January 7, 2008, the US Supreme Court denied his certiorari petition.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/07-7054.htm

On July 19, 2007, Lancaster filed a habeas petition before the California Supreme Court. It has been fully briefed since July 30, 2013.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...5TICAgCg%3D%3D

Petition for writ of habeas corpus denied by the California Supreme Court on June 10, 2020.

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....5TICAgCg%3D%3D
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

The court actually remanded the case to the trial court on an ineffective assistance of counsel claim relating to the penalty phase. The rest of Lancasters claims were denied.

From the above link

"The Secretary of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation is ordered to show cause in the Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles, when the matter is placed on calendar, why the relief prayed for should not be granted on the ground that trial counsel provided ineffective assistance during the penalty phase, as alleged in Claim 5. The return is to be filed on or before July 10, 2020. All remaining claims in the petition are denied on the merits."

On July 1, 2022, death sentence vacated by a Los Angeles trial court on an ineffective counsel claim.

https://documents.deathpenaltyinfo.o...2022-07-01.pdf
    Last edited by Moh; 07-19-2022 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added date.

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Thread Information