Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live broadcasting of murder trials

Live broadcasting of murder trials

I've been watching with interest the live streams from the 'Jodie Arias' trial & wondered what people really thought about live broadcasting of murder trials ?
    Although it's not something we have in England I personally think it's a good thing & lets justice " be seen to be done".
    For me broadcasting a trial live lets the public see why an offender is given the sentence they are & helps justify that sentence,particularly where the sentence is death.
    Justice should not depend on the size of your bank balance or colour of your skin !

I enjoy watching the trials.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

CaliHornia
    I think there is a lot of educational value in showing trials. One thing that concerns me is that in the US at least, you can't put a camera anywhere without most of the people around it sensing an opportunity for stardom.

I'm against it. To borrow CaliHornia's phrase, it encourages people who sense an "opportunity for stardom" to act in an overly dramatic manner for the camera: great for ratings, not so for the administration of justice.

Broadcasting Crown Court trials in England is something that occasionally comes under discussion but it has been fiercely and practically unanimously opposed by the judiciary. Indeed, not only are there no broadcasts of Crown Court trials, it is also a criminal offence punishable by up to two years' imprisonment to photograph or record proceedings without the prior permission of the judge:

Teenager jailed for taking photo at Luton Crown Court

A teenager from Luton has been jailed for two months for taking a photograph of a courtroom from the public gallery during a hearing.

Paul Thompson, 19, had gone to Luton Crown Court to support a friend facing a prison sentence for robbing an off-duty police officer.

He was seen taking a picture which he sent to a friend.

After his Blackberry phone was seized he admitted being in contempt of court and was jailed by Judge Barbara Mensah.

She said: "There are notices all around the court building about not taking photographs in court.

"This is a serious offence and the message must go out that people cannot take photos."

As she jailed him on Friday, Thompson said: "That's stupid, man."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-15057842
    "I have adopted the Italian way of life... I may stab you!"
    — Heidi

"You make the British Lion seem like a declawed, toothless, neutered fat tabby with the mange."
    — Weidmann1939

"Maybe you think your being clever."
    — Weidmann1939

I second JT. Trials are for jusice and not for entertainment. If you want court-entertainment you can watch Matlock or something like that.
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

...or Judge Judy.
    — Heidi

"You make the British Lion seem like a declawed, toothless, neutered fat tabby with the mange."
    — Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I second JT. Trials are for jusice and not for entertainment. If you want court-entertainment you can watch Matlock or something like that.
    Matlock? Really? German TV is way behind the times!

I love court TV.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

You΄re a voyeur...
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

You're only a voyeur if you fap to it.
    Otherwise you are an observer of the legal process. A citizen with a critical mind and desire for the truth.

Diggler

Quote Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
    You're only a voyeur if you fap to it.
    Try telling the judge that!
    — Heidi

— Weidmann1939

— Weidmann1939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information