Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Eriese Alphonso Tisdale - Florida

Following is a video link to Tisdale addressing the court before sentencing. In a post sentencing interview the States Attorney blasted Tisdale.

http://www.wpbf.com/news/eriese-tisd...ncing/39282064
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

Sgt. Gary Morales’ killer Tisdale headed to death row in Raiford

FORT PIERCE — When Eriese Tisdale arrives at his death row cell at Florida State Prison, he'll have nothing except the clothes on his back, and even those he can't keep.

Sheriff's officials won't say when Tisdale, 28, will be transferred from the Martin County Jail to the prison in Raiford, but it could be in days after a judge on Friday ordered him to be executed for the Feb. 28, 2013 shooting death of Sgt. Gary Morales.

For security reasons, Tisdale has been at the Martin Jail since his arrest, but the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office must transport him to death row, said Maj. Pat Tighe who operates the St. Lucie County Jail.

To do that, Tighe said they must first make an appointment to deliver Tisdale.

"We are working on that right now," he noted, "while we wait on the (commitment) papers."

He said Tisdale must give up any property he has in jail now, such as a radio, clothes or books.

"When an inmate gets sentenced to (prison) you become the property of the state," Tighe said. "The Florida State Prison will not accept anything ... they walk in with nothing. They'll give him their uniform and we get ours back."

In October, a jury convicted Tisdale of the first-degree murder of a police officer. The same jury voted 9 to 3 in favor of the death penalty.

At trial, prosecutors showed that Tisdale, then 25, was armed with a Glock handgun when he fired seven times at Morales during a traffic stop in Fort Pierce, striking the veteran sergeant in the head, neck and arm.

Morales, 35, was found dead inside his patrol car on Naylor Terrace, south of Edwards Road.

His family members, his parents, wife and brothers who packed into the courtroom with dozens of uniformed police officers, declined to comment after court.

As the Morales family left the courthouse, the sidewalk was lined with solemn officers donning crisp dress uniforms who saluted as the group passed.

After court, Chief Assistant State Attorney Tom Bakkedahl, who urged Circuit Judge Dan Vaughn to impose a death sentence, said he was "pleased" with the court's rulings.

"I think in light of the procedural posture this case is in, that's probably one of the most well-reasoned and well-written sentencing orders I've seen written in 25 years," he said. "I commend him; he got it right. As far as the law is today, I have no doubt they will continue to change the rules as this winds its way through the system, so we'll have to deal with that."

DEFIANT DEFENDANT

Tisdale's initial sentencing was delayed in January after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the state's death penalty sentencing system. Since then, the state passed a new death penalty law, something Vaughn referred to several times as he read aloud a 27-page order that sentenced Tisdale to death.

In his order, Vaughn noted that Tisdale's jury, and not the court, unanimously found him guilty of two felonies that provide the legal reasons, or aggravators required by law to impose a death sentence.

Tisdale, who refused to rise as Vaughn convened court, also was ordered to serve 35 years in prison for aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer, being a felon in possession of a firearm and fleeing and eluding police.

During a disjointed speech a shackled Tisdale delivered at a podium before Vaughn pronounced his sentence, the former rapper ranted about his life, his punishment and other cases involving young men and police run-ins. At one point, he turned to the Morales family and said he was sorry for their pain, but he never apologized for the killing.

"I know that no matter what happens my future will always be in God's hands and no matter what, one day I will walk free and that's by the grace of God," he said. "I want to say to the Morales family that I am truly regretful to be responsible for the pain that they have today ... and I want to say that I am truly sorry and truly regretful as a man to be able to sit here in this position — to be the man with the finger pointed at, to be responsible for this situation. But ... no man was there to know my heart. No man was there to know what I had in my eyes and the feeling that I had in my chest on Feb. 28, 2013."

CLOSURE

Later, an emotional St. Lucie County Sheriff Ken Mascara expressed relief that Vaughn rejected the defense's bid to punish Tisdale with a life prison term.

"I applaud the judge for taking the jury's recommendation in this ... he was eloquent in his defense of why he imposed the death penalty in this case," Mascara said. "And no matter what happened today, whether it was a new trial or a life sentence or a death sentence, Sgt. Morales will never be back and we will always have that void. But we have some closure today for us and God bless the Morales family and everyone who was affected by this tragedy."

Public Defender Diamond Litty, who had a team of four lawyers represent Tisdale, said his sentence was not a shock, but she wouldn't elaborate.

"Despite the court's decision," Litty said, "we still respect the court and the criminal justice system."

Her office will draw up papers, she said, that will start Tisdale's automatic appeal filed directly to the Florida Supreme Court.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/crime/st-...377648801.html

Tisdale entered Florida's death row on May 2, 2016.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/activeinma...hrowroster.asp

ERIESE ALPHONSO TISDALE v STATE OF FLORIDA

In today's Florida Supreme Court opinions, the court vacated Tisdale's death sentence and remanded his case to the trial court for a new penalty phase pursuant to Hurst.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

State to seek death penalty again for the man who killed a St. Lucie County Sheriff's deputy

Man's original death sentence overturned

By WPTV Webteam

The man convicted of killing a St. Lucie County sheriff's deputy in 2013 could once again be facing the death penalty.

The state intends to seek the death penalty when Eriese Tisdale is resentenced, according to court documents.

Tisdale was convicted of killing Sgt. Gary Morales during a traffic stop and was sentenced to death following a nine to three recommendation by jurors.

Just days before sentencing the United States Supreme Court declared "Florida's sentencing scheme" unconstitutional. The law now says that a death sentence requires a unanimous jury recommendation for a judge to impose it.

A resentencing date has not been set.

https://www.wptv.com/news/region-st-...heriffs-deputy
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information