Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: De'Marquis Elkins Sentenced in 2013 GA Slaying of 13-month-old Antonio West

2 teens plead not guilty in Ga. baby slaying

Two Georgia teenagers pleaded not guilty Thursday to murdering a baby who was shot in the face during what authorities described as an attempted street robbery.

Both De'Marquise Elkins, 17, and Dominique Lang, 15, are charged as adults. Authorities say Elkins fatally shot 13-month-old Antonio Santiago in his stroller as Elkins and Lang tried to rob the child's mother March 21 on the street a few blocks from her Brunswick apartment.

They entered their pleas in writing and waived arraignment before a judge that was scheduled for Thursday morning.

Superior Court Judge Stephen Kelley has said he wants a trial before the end of the year. Prosecutors weren't allowed to consider seeking the death penalty because Georgia law prohibits it for defendants charged with crimes before age 18.

The baby's mother, Sherry West, has said she was pushing her son in his stroller a few blocks from her apartment in Brunswick along the Georgia coast when two youths approached asking for money. When she refused, she said, one of them drew a gun and shot her in the leg before shooting her baby in the face.

An indictment charging Elkins on nine counts, including malice murder, identified him as the person authorities accuse of pulling the trigger. Lang was charged with seven counts, including felony murder, as an accomplice. Both face life in prison if convicted.

Police arrested both teenagers within a day of the shooting. Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering has said information from Elkins' mother and older sister helped lead investigators to a small saltwater pond where they recovered a .22-caliber handgun suspected of being used in the slaying.

Elkins has also been charged in a second shooting and robbery attempt 10 days before the baby was killed. An indictment says Elkins pointed a gun at Wilfredo Calix-Flores while demanding his cellphone and wallet, then shot the man in the arm with the same caliber gun used to kill the baby.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...ge&ir=homepage
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Murdered baby's mom faces suspects in court

Sherry West walked into a Glynn County courtroom Wednesday and sat just few feet away from the two teenagers accused of killing her 13 month-old-boy.

"I can't wait till the trial. I am ready for a trial," she said.

Prosecutors say DeMarquise Elkins, 17, and Dominique Lang, 15, shot Antonio Santiago in March while trying to rob West as she took her son for a walk in their Brunswick neighborhood.

"I still see people walking dogs down that street and baby strollers and I fear for them. I really do," said West.

Not long after Elkins and Lang were arrested, three more members of the Elkins family found themselves behind bars. Karimah, Katrina, and Sabrina Elkins are accused of trying to cover up the crime, by either providing the suspect with an alibi, or by trying to hide the possible murder weapon.

All five defendants were in court Wednesday, basically for a housekeeping hearing. Attorneys and the judge ironed out some scheduling details. The judge once again said he'd like to see this case go to trial by August.

"The sooner they get convicted the better," said West.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...RWXFMmnYg.cspx

Potential new evidence in Brunswick baby death

There’s potential new evidence in connection with the murder of a Brunswick baby.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation test results show traces of gun residue on both parents of the murdered baby.

The mother, Sherry West, says it must have come from the struggle between the murder suspects.

The father was allegedly not at the scene.

He’s now in jail on charges related to family violence and probation violation.

West claims her baby was shot during an attempted robbery as she pushed the baby in a stroller

Demarquis Elkins and Dominique Lang were charged in the death. The trial is set for August 19th.

http://www.thecoastalsource.com/2013...ck-baby-death/

Miss Englander
    How the bloody hell does a mother cope with that happening in front of her, her baby !!! So so sadded by this and this wanna be gangster never should see the outside of a prison again!

JUSTICE FOR ANTONIO

Outraged! Murdered baby snubbed by media

Ben Kinchlow
    Exclusive: Ben Kinchlow blasts national press for ignoring black-on-white crime

I am outraged!!

An innocent victim is brutally murdered, and the killer will not get the death penalty. Have we become so calloused that the unprovoked deaths of innocents (of all people) do not merit the death penalty?

Oh, did you think I was talking about the Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman case?

That is not surprising, since it has dominated news coverage almost every day since it happened. But my outrage is not directed at a case that has been examined and re-examined from the ghetto to the newsrooms to the White House, but at an incident that you probably have not heard of.

Do the names De’Marquise Elkins or Antonio West ring a bell? Generate a vague recollection? “I seem to have heard something like that.” Well, let me refresh your memory, since apparently the national media don’t consider the story worth any major coverage.

On March 21, 2013, Antonio West was shot to death by De’Marquise Elkins. Well, that is not all that big a deal; after all, according to the Slate gun-death tracker, “Last year, there were 32,163 firearm deaths … the vast majority of these deaths are Americans killing Americans.”

And with names like De’Marquise and Antonio, they were probably black. As the statistics show, “Blacks killing blacks ain’t no big deal.” After all, almost 500 blacks have been killed in Chicago since the Martin-Zimmerman saga began to unfold (61 just during the trial period). “So what’s the big deal about some dude named De’Marquis offing another dude named Antonio?”

Apparently there is a little more to the story than that, something the national media obviously did not consider particularly newsworthy. According to several reports (not headline news, of course) which lasted about two days, the following emerges:

Antonio (Santiago) West, a 13 month old, was sitting in his stroller when De’Marquis (17) and Dominique Lang (15) accosted his mother, Sherry, and demanded money. According to Sherry, “A boy approached me and told me he wanted my money, and I told him I didn’t have any money, and he said, ‘Give me your money or I’m going to kill you and I’m going to shoot your baby and kill your baby,’ and I said, I don’t have any money and don’t kill my baby!”

The boy tried to grab her purse and then opened fire, grazing her head, when she said she tried to tell him she had no money. She said the boy then shot her in the leg.

She continued, “And then, all of a sudden, he walked over and he shot my baby in the face.”

The tragic truth is most of us are not aware of this story because since it involved blacks killing whites, the national media paid it little attention. Can you imagine the furor had Antonio been black and De’Marquise white? Oh, you’re right, we don’t have to imagine the outrage, furor and demands for the U.S. government to become involved. We have the Martin-Zimmerman case. Can you even imagine President George Bush saying “Antonio West could have been me X number of years ago”?

They have found and arrested the aforementioned teens and booked them. While we know exactly what Trayvon Martin looked like (when he was 15) and what Zimmerman looks like in a suit now (not what he looked like the night of the incident), we do not know what Antonio looks like. Nor could we pick the two assailants out of a police lineup; no media coverage or pictures of them plastered all over.

Impartial, unbiased, police work? Compare what you know about the Martin-Zimmerman case with this statement by the public information officer handling the West case: “There is no clear motive right now … this is what the mother said … we as law enforcement, we can’t go off on what anyone says. We have to thoroughly investigate the case.” Oh, you mean like since there was no one who actually witnessed the Zimmerman-Martin incident, and despite the evidence of blood and bruises on Zimmerman, you proceed to charge him with murder based on …?

But that is not the end of the story. Now they are attempting to destroy the mother’s testimony. There are allegations that she and the father had “gunshot residue” on their persons. Maybe they shot her baby in the head for the insurance money? Well of course, that would make more sense than having to believe that two black teens could actually kill a someone (a baby) in cold blood.

But, naturally, we will not get to the final resolution in that case. No more news coverage, no play-by-play, no cameras and video in the courtroom, “learned jurists” or “in-depth analysis” will be forthcoming from that trial. Such coverage would seriously damage the leftist position that whites are collectively guilty for slavery that ended almost 150 years ago.

According to this position, blacks, who are unable to compete with whites (or other minorities) on equal footing (hence affirmative action-for blacks only) are to be accorded not equal justice but “equality oriented justice.” The statue of Justice wears a blindfold for a reason.

Yes, I am outraged. America is “the land of the free and home of the brave” and should be a bastion of liberty and equal justice for all!

http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/outraged-...bbed-by-media/

Really?

Grandmother of GA teens charged in baby’s shooting death: They’re innocent

The grandmother of the teenage boy accused of the brutal murder of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago says she just hopes her grandson gets a fair trial.

Hazel Etheredge, 49, is the paternal grandma of De’Marquise Elkins, 17, who alongside a 15-year-old boy, is accused of shooting 13-month-old Antonio in the face at point blank range in a botched robbery attempt. Both boys have been charged as adults.

“I am just praying they get a fair trial,” Etheredge told theGrio in her first print media interview.

She adds that she “hopes it will help” that the trial has been moved to a different part of Georgia — 300 miles away in Marietta — because of extensive local media coverage.

In fact, the horrific murder, which occurred in March, sparked nationwide public outrage. Within the small, close-knit, coastal city of Brunswick, opinions about the killing have been sharply polarized along racial lines.

Some residents are questioning the credibility of baby Antonio’s mother or whether her story was enough evidence for police to arrest the boys. Glynn County detectives have no eyewitnesses, other than Sherry West’s version of events.

A complicated case

West reportedly has a history of mental health issues and sources tell theGrio her relationship with baby Antonio’s father was volatile, causing police to visit their home on more than one occasion.

West’s daughter, Ashley Glassey, has publicly stated in interviews that her mother is bipolar, with schizophrenic tendencies. The 21-year-old also says she is suspicious because West, who lost custody of her when she was 8-years-old, told her conflicting versions of events leading to her brother’s death.

Glassey alleges that on the night of the shooting her mother asked, “How soon do you think life insurance policy will send me a check?” She claims she has contacted police with her concerns but they have not called her back.

Still, West has always steadfastly maintained that her baby was shot in his stroller by two black teens. She identified Elkins and the 15-year-old as the ones who shot her son.

“They just need to figure out if she’s [Sherry West] crazy,” says Brunswick native, Etheredge. “He’s [Elkins] doing as well as can be expected, considering the situation. He says he’s innocent.”

In an unexpected twist it has been reported that forensic experts discovered gunshot residue on clothing belonging to both parents directly after the shooting. West claims she was alone, and that the father, Louis Santiago, was at a WalMart at the time of the shooting.

Kevin Gough, the lawyer for 17-year-old De’Marquise Elkins, told theGrio, “We remain confident that when the jurors hear all the evidence they will agree that Mr. Elkins is not guilty.”

According to local reports, the couple has separated and Santiago is now in jail, held without bond, on charges of aggravated stalking related to family violence and violation of probation.

Rev. Kenneth Adkins, the pastor of a prominent local church, says “In the aftermath of George Zimmerman trial, this case has opened up old wounds and simmering racial tension in Brunswick.

“With this new evidence people are unsure of whether these kids are involved. People want to get to the truth,” says Adkins of the Greater Dimensions Christian Fellowship.

With these revelations, comparisons are now being drawn between this case and that of Susan Smith. In 1995, Smith murdered her two sons, 3-year-old Michael Daniel Smith and 14-month-old Alexander Tyler Smith. After an intensive 9-day manhunt, it was determined that Smith lied to authorities when she said that an unknown African-American man carjacked her and kidnapped the boys.

In the case involving to two teens in Brunswick, Georgia, both boys were denied bond and have been charged as adults with first-degree murder. If convicted, neither will face the death penalty because both were younger than 18 at the time of the incident, Dist. Atty. Jackie Johnson of the Brunswick Judicial Circuit said in a statement sent by email to reporters.

The mother of Elkins, 36-year-old Karimah Elkins, and his 33-year-old aunt, Katrina Elkins, had also been jailed for allegedly giving false statements to authorities regarding the case. They claimed the boys were somewhere else when the alleged crime took place. They have subsequently been released on bond.

The case is set to go to trial August 19th.

http://thegrio.com/2013/07/29/grandm...eyre-innocent/

Passed away.
    The Grio. 'Nuff said. Did anybody else notice that Grandma had two children at ages 13 and 16?

Brunswick Baby Murder: Defense claims suspect did not have gunshot residue on him

The public defender for De'Marquis Elkins says the teen suspect did not have gunshot residue on his hands after 13-month-old Antonio Santiago was shot and killed.

Elkins attorney did not provide lab evidence to back that up. But Action News did find lab reports saying the baby's parents tested positive for gunshot residue the night after the shooting.

Action News' Jamie Smith sat down with Antonio's mother, Sherry West, and asked her how she and husband Louis Santiago could have tested positive.

"My baby was shot. I was shot near my head and of course there's going to be GSR everywhere," said West during an exclusive interview on July 15. As for her husband, West said, "He may have touched my clothes in the hospital if there was GSR."

Elkins' lawyer also says a gun recovered after the teen's arrest is not the murder weapon. Police, however, say it was the gun used to shoot baby Antonio.

Police have also charged Elkins sister and mother with trying to hide the gun.

Another teen, Dominique Lang, is also charged with the baby's murder.

http://www.wokv.com/news/news/local/...t-did-n/nY9mw/

Brunswick Baby Murder: Parents on the defense

The search for justice for baby Antonio continues. The 13-month-old boy was shot and killed back in March.

Police say two teenagers tried to rob the baby's mother.

Those teen suspects are DeMarquise Elkins, 17, and Dominque Lang, 15.

Three more people were arrested on charges they tried to cover up the crime, all members of the Elkins family.

Mom, Karimah Elkins, and sister, Sabrina Elkins, are accused of hiding the suspected murder weapon. And aunt, Katrina Elkins, is accused of lying to police by providing DeMarquise with an alibi.

In just three weeks, DeMarquise, Karimah, and Sabrina will go on trial. And with the clock ticking, attorneys on both sides have spent the last two days combing over evidence, getting their cases ready for a jury.

Louis Santiago isn't on trial, but the father of the murdered baby found himself on the witness stand Friday. Still jailed on charged he had been stalking the baby's mother, Sherry West, Santiago relived that day when his baby was killed, and when he comforted West.

"I just held her and she was just crying," said Santiago.

He said he was at Walmart at the time of the shooting. But the defense isn't convinced. It recently released a GBI report showing Santiago had gunshot residue on his hands after the murder. Evidence, the defense said, that Santiago had been around a weapon.
    Santiago said the gunshot residue could have gotten on his hands when he touched West after the shooting.

He said, "I saw a bullet hole for the first time. And I was just curious. I had to look. Like a kid."

As the defense worked to divert attention away from the Elkins family, the family sat quietly at the same table, never exchanging a look.

DeMarquise, 17, faces the most serious charges. Police say he was the one who fired the fatal shot at the baby's face. His mother and sister are accused of helping hide the murder weapon.

They are set to go on trial Aug. 19 in Cobb County, Georgia. The trial was moved to a different city because of all the pretrial publicity.

Sherry West, the baby's mother, was also subpoenaed to testify Friday. The defense has questioned her competency, saying she has mental health and drug abuse issues. She's one of two witnesses to the shooting.

The other witness is the other teenager charged with the murder, Dominique Lang, 15. He will have a trial of his own. As will Katrina Elkins.

Their trial dates have not yet been set.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...5U8447kXA.cspx

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information