Thread: Robin Lee Archer - Florida

Robin Lee Archer - Florida

Summary of Offense:

On January 26, 1991, Robin Lee Archer, through the acts of his cousin and three accomplices, murdered the victim, Billy Coker. The victim was shot to death. Archer was fired from his job at an auto parts store in March 1990. The following January, he convinced his 17-year-old cousin, James Patrick Bonifay, to kill the clerk he blamed for his having been fired. Bonifay testified that Archer told him to rob the store to conceal the motive for the killing and also told him the location of the store’s cash box and emergency exit. Bonifay asked a friend to borrow a gun. Bonifay was not home when his friend brought the gun, so he gave it to Archer who, in turn, gave it to Bonifay. Bonifay talked two friends into helping him, and the trio went to the parts store on the night of January 25, 1990. Bonifay, however, could not go through with the plan, and they left. The following morning Archer chastised Bonifay for not killing the clerk and the three went back to the store that night. Bonifay and Clifford Barth each shot the clerk from outside the store. They then crawled into the store through the parts window. After opening the cash boxes, Bonifay shot the clerk twice in the head execution-style as he lay on the floor begging for his life. Archer later refused to pay Bonifay because he had killed the wrong clerk. Bonifay confessed to several people, one of who informed the authorities. Archer, Bonifay and Bonifay’s two friends were arrested. The defendants were tried separately. Archer’s jury convicted him of first-degree murder. He was sentenced to death.

James Patrick Bonifay, in a separate trial, also was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to death in 1991. His appeals history resembles Archer’s. The Florida Supreme Court in 1993 affirmed his conviction, but remanded the sentence. A new jury resentenced Bonifay to death in 1994. The Supreme Court affirmed the sentence in 1996. Bonifay's sentence was eventually commuted to life imprisonment because he was 17 years old at the time of the murder.

Clifford Barth in 1991 received a life sentence for his role in the murder.

Factors Contributing to the Delay in the Imposition of the Sentence:

Archer’s 1991 death sentence was remanded for resentencing, which renewed the appeals process. He was resentenced to death in 1994. Archer’s 3.850 Motion was pending for nearly six years in the State Circuit Court.

Case Information:

Archer filed a direct appeal with the Florida Supreme Court in 1991. The defendant argued that the jury should not have been instructed on the heinous, atrocious or cruel aggravator because that aggravator did not apply to him. The Supreme Court agreed and in 1993 affirmed the murder conviction, but remanded the sentence. The defendant’s request for a rehearing was denied that same year.

The trial court resentenced Archer to death in 1994. The Supreme Court affirmed the decision in 1996, and denied a request for a rehearing that same year.

The defendant then petitioned the United States Supreme Court for a Petition for Writ of Certiorari in 1996, which the court denied in the same year.

The defendant filed a shell 3.850 Motion in the State Circuit Court in 1997 and an amended motion in March 2000. The motion was denied 02/25/04.

Archer filed an appeal in the Florida Supreme Court on 03/19/04, citing the following issues: newly discovered evidence, as well as Giglio and Brady claims. On 06/29/06, the FSC affirmed the denial of the motion.

Archer filed a Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus with the Florida Supreme Court on 04/22/05, citing ineffective assistance of counsel claims. On 06/29/06, the FSC denied the petition.

On 07/18/06, Archer filed a Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus with the United States District Court, Northern District, which was amended on 11/06/06. This petition was denied on 03/03/08. Archer filed an appeal with the United States Court of Appeals on 05/14/08. This appeal was denied on 10/17/08.

On 05/11/09, Archer filed a Petition for Writ of Certiorari with the United States Supreme Court that was denied on 10/05/09.

On 11/30/10, Archer filed a 3.851 motion in the Circuit Court. That motion is pending.

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Archer's certiorari petition arising out of the denial of his state habeas petition.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Nos.: (SC13-1949)
    Decision Date: June 26, 2014
    Rehearing Denied: November 25, 2014

http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.a...es/14-9490.htm

Robin Lee Archer v. State of Florida

In today's opinions, the Florida Supreme Court affirmed the denial of Archer’s successive Rule 3.851 motion.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Distributed for conference February 19, 2021.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-6043.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Archer's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Numbers: (SC19-841)
    Decision Date: April 23, 2020
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Legend

Robin Archer is a perfect example of my problem with Florida’s death penalty. He exhausted appeals in 2009 and went 12 more years without ever receiving a warrant before dying of natural causes. In my opinion execution warrants should not be on the plate of one person
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information