Thread: Jeremy Lee Moody - Georgia Death Row

Jeremy Lee Moody - Georgia Death Row

Witnesses describe bizarre behavior in sentencing trial

By Marcus K. Garner
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The death sentence hearing for a man convicted of killing two College Park teens after raping one in 2007 was put on hold Tuesday because he injured himself, authorities said.

“The reason we were delayed in starting yesterday is because Mr. (Jeremy) Moody injured himself,” Fulton County Superior Court Judge Christopher Basher said Wednesday morning before the hearing resumed.

The judges statement came before witnesses testified about bizarre behavior Moody has exhibited since being arrested for killing 15-year-old Delarlnova “Del” Mattox and 13-year-old Chrishondra Sierra Kimble, witnesses testified Wednesday.

Moody suffered several injuries to his arms Tuesday while at the Fulton County Courthouse and had to be taken to Grady Memorial Hospital for treatment, court officials said. Jail officials would not specify how the injuries happened.

The 35-year-old pleaded guilty last week to murder, rape, kidnapping and a host of other charges in connection with the spring of 2007 killings.

Six charges – two each for murder, felony murder and kidnapping – carry maximum penalties of death by lethal injection.

But since his arrest, witnesses said Moody has been constant trouble.

“He told me when he got finished with me … killing me … I better hope that the authorities and my mother would be able to find my thumb,” his ex-girlfriend, Tameka Wright said Moody told her in a letter after she turned him in to police for the murders.

Fulton County Jail employees, who have worked around Moody for the six years he has been in jail, told stories from the stand of his outrageous and sometimes frightening behavior.

“He ran out of his cell during meal time with a big metal shank,” detention officer James Atkins said, holding his hands more than a foot apart to describe the illegal blade he said Moody attacked jail workers with. “It was just very stressful working with him because you never knew what he was going to do. Whether he was going to cut himself or hang himself.”

Jail employees also reported that Moody set himself on fire in January 2010.

Defense attorney Maurice Kenner pointed out that Moody took medicine to combat frequent seizures, and asked Fulton detention officer Ricardo Rucker, a former Georgia Department of Corrections officer, if the inmate would have gotten better medical attention in a state facility as opposed to the Fulton jail.

Testimony will continue on Thursday.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-l...encing-/nXPrB/

Death sentence for man who killed College Park teens

By Marcus K. Garner
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Fulton County jury has sentenced Jeremy Moody to death by lethal injection.

Moody pleaded guilty last week to killing 15-year-old Delarlnova “Del” Mattox and 13-year-old Chrishondra Sierra Kimble after raping Kimble in April 2007.

The teens were reported missing after they walked from their home to an Old National Highway store to buy snacks on April 5, and were subsequently found stripped of their clothes and stabbed multiple times around their heads and necks.

Police determined that Moody had used a screwdriver in an attempt to rob the teens.

Six of the charges against him – two each for murder and kidnapping – carried death as the maximum penalty. Other charges included rape, aggravated assault and armed robbery.

The jury found for death in each of the murder charges.

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Christopher Basher ruled on non-death-penalty charges, adding three consecutive life sentences plus 40 years to the two death sentences.

Pete Johnson, the Fulton County assistant district attorney who prosecuted the case, said prosecutors sought the death penalty in this case because the circumstances of the murders fit the state’s criteria for capital punishment cases — if the murder occurs during another capital felony, in this case the rape of Kimble.

Johnson also said the killings were carried out in a manner that was considered torture, and reflected an abandoned heart or a depraved mind on Moody’s part — more state-mandated criteria for death penalty consideration.

“The fact that 13-year-old Chrisondra Kimble was stabbed approximately 17 times in the head and neck with a screwdriver and raped at the same time … while her 15-year-old cousin “Del” Mattox, Jr. was stabbed almost 40 times in the head and chest with a screwdriver, impaling his skull and going into his brain would qualify for a death penalty case,” Johnson said.

Although Moody, 35, was arrested a day after the teens disappeared, it took prosecutors six years to bring the case to trial because, they say, he continued to intentionally injured himself in the Fulton County jail.

Still, the victims’ grandmother, Vivian Mattox, told Channel 2 Action News that her family’s patience paid off with a favorable outcome.

“We just knew justice was going to be served,” Mattox said.

Moody pleaded guilty on the first day of the trial, and the jury was held over to determine his punishment.

During sentencing, defense attorneys attempted unsuccessfully to paint Moody as an unstable drug abuser who was the product of growing up around drug-addicted parents.

“We were saddened that (jurors) didn’t give the mitigation evidence as much consideration as we thought it warranted,” defense attorney Maurice Kenner told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “We plan on filing an appeal or motion for a new trial within the next week. We think there are some areas of error.”

This is the fifth Fulton County death penalty ruling since in 13 years.

Gregory P. Lawler was sentenced to death in March 2000 for killing Atlanta Police Officer John Sowa. In July 2008, Demetrius G. Willis was sentenced to death for fatally shooting his ex-girlfriend, her boyfriend and 3-year-old son in Atlanta, and shooting, but not killing, two other children.

Cleveland Clark was convicted as the hitman in a racially-motivated murder-for-hire scheme that left Union City mother Sparkle Rai, at the behest of her father-in-law Chiman Rai. A Fulton County jury sentenced him to death in June 2009.

And De’Kelvin Martin fatally stabbed his girlfriend’s grandparents and her 12-year-old son in a fit of rage, leading a jury to rule in October 2010 that he should be executed by lethal injection.

Each of these men remain on death row at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson.

On Tuesday, relatives of Kimble and “Del” Mattox said they were thrilled with the jury’s verdict.

“We’re so ecstatic about the jury’s decision as to the death penalty,” cousin Shana Long told Channel 2. “We couldn’t ask for any less than that. We are just thankful for the turnout.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-l...ark-tee/nXWpZ/

Conviction and death sentence affirmed on direct appeal.

https://law.justia.com/cases/georgia.../s23p0046.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Distributed for conference 1/5/24.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/23-5857.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Petition for certiorari denied.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Georgia
    Case Numbers: (S23P0046)
    Decision Date: May 16, 2023
    Rehearing Denied: June 21, 2023

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/23-5857.html

Thread Information