Thread: Kim Jackson - Florida

Kim Jackson - Florida

Georgia prison inmate guilty in Jacksonville 2004 murder case

A Jacksonville jury found a Georgia prison inmate guilty late Wednesday of brutally stabbing a woman to death in 2004.

Now convicted, Kim Jackson, 43, could face the death penalty for murdering Debra Joyce Pearce, 49.

Jackson, who was not arrested until 2008, slashed Pearce’s throat and stabbed her in the chest with such force that the 8-inch blade ended up nicking a bone in her back, prosecutors said.

But defense attorneys argued that the prosecution only proved that Jackson was in the house at some point, not that he killed her. They also argued that Pearce, who sold drugs out of her house, had a lot of people who wanted her dead.

The case was broken after DNA evidence from the scene was matched to Jackson, who was incarcerated at Washington State Prison in Davidsboro, Ga., on a robbery charge at the time of his arrest.

When Jackson was first interviewed about the murder in 2004, he denied knowing Pearce and said he’d never been in her house. But a bloody fingerprint of Jackson and DNA from him was later found in the kitchen, where Pearce’s body was found.

“His DNA and his fingerprints are as good as a signed confession,” Assistant State Attorney Theresa Simak said.

Assistant Public Defender Michael Bateh acknowledged that his client lied to police but said it was because Jackson was afraid of the police, not because he was guilty.

“Just because he lied to police and is a convicted felon does not equate to him being a murderer,” Bateh said.

People were coming in and out of Pearce’s house all the time to buy drugs, and there were a lot of people with motives, he said.

The same jury will return April 26 to make a recommendation on whether Jackson should get life without parole or death. Circuit Judge James Daniel will make the final decision.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz2QnKtPj7x
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Jury recommends death in 2004 murder

A jury has recommended the death penalty for a 43-year-old Jacksonville man convicted in a 2004 murder.

The jury voted 8-4 that Kim Jackson be sentenced to death for killing Debra Pearce. Last week, Jackson was convicted by the same jury on a first-degree murder charge.

While the jury has recommended the death penalty for Jackson, Judge James Daniel will make the final decision on his sentence. The next hearing in the sentencing phase is June 11.

In October 2004, Jackson slashed Pearce's throat and stabbed the 49-year-old in the chest at her Bennington Drive home.

The crime went unsolved until 2007, when a DNA test on evidence matched Jackson.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/jury-re...8/-/index.html

Georgia man gets sentenced to Death Row for 2004 Jacksonville killing

By Larry Hannan
    The Florida Times-Union

It took Jacksonville police four years to arrest Kim Jackson for the 2004 murder of 49-year-old Debra Pearce.

Tuesday it took Circuit Judge James Daniel about two minutes to put him on Death Row. Jackson showed no emotion as the death sentence was announced.

Daniels sentenced Jackson, 43, to death after he was convicted of slashing Pearce’s throat and stabbing her in the chest with such force that the 8-inch blade ended up nicking a bone in her back. Jackson’s reason for killing Pearce is unknown. Drugs were being sold out of Pearce’s Bennington Drive house, and that may have been a factor.

Daniels was brief in his decision from the bench. But in a 49-page written ruling he found that Jackson’s previous criminal record and the brutality of Pearce’s murder justified a sentence of death.

Jackson had two previous violent felony convictions in Georgia. He was convicted of armed robbery for robbing a Days Inn at gunpoint in 2005 and was convicted of aggravated assault after he pulled a gun on a undercover agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigations in 1992.

Jackson was incarcerated at the Washington State Prison in Davidsboro, Ga., on the armed robbery charge when DNA evidence from the scene of Pearce’s murder was found to be a match with him. He was on probation for the assault charge when the killing occurred.

“Allowing for the time the defendant spent in jail after the 1992 conviction, and the fact that the defendant has been incarcerated since his 2005 arrest, the court cannot conclude that the defendant led a comparatively crime-free life between 1992 and his arrest in this case,” Daniels said.

The judge also said both of Jackson’s previous convictions illustrate his “penchant for violence as a means to further his criminal ends.”

Jackson will get an automatic appeal to the Florida Supreme Court.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz2gUQEzwv6

KIM JACKSON v STATE OF FLORIDA

In today's opinions, the Florida Supreme Court AFFIRMED Jackson's conviction and sentence of death on direct appeal.

No. 15-8444 *** CAPITAL CASE ***
    Title:
    Kim Jackson, Petitioner
    v.
    Florida
    Docketed: March 7, 2016
    Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Nos.: (SC13-2090)
    Decision Date: August 27, 2015
    Rehearing Denied: December 18, 2015

~~~Date~~~ ~~~~~~~Proceedings and Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mar 1 2016 Petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis filed. (Response due April 6, 2016)
    Apr 6 2016 Brief of respondent Florida in opposition filed.
    Apr 20 2016 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of May 12, 2016.
    May 16 2016 Petition DENIED.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....es/15-8444.htm

Petition for writ of habeas corpus denied by the Florida Supreme Court.

https://law.justia.com/cases/florida...sc19-1624.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On October 18, 2022, Jackson filed a habeas petition in federal district court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/fl...cv01119/406851
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information