Thread: Denny Sisney Gets LWOP in 2013 OK Slaying of Amber Nicole Sporleder

Jan

Denny Sisney Gets LWOP in 2013 OK Slaying of Amber Nicole Sporleder

Amber Nicole Sporleder

District attorney wants death penalty for Cushing murder

STILLWATER, Okla. — The Payne County District Attorney's office is seeking the death penalty for two men charged with stabbing a Cushing woman to death.

Justin Allen Kelley, 31, of Stillwater and Denny Sisney, 35, with no address, were charged with first degree murder Wednesday morning. District Attorney Tom Lee filed two bills of particulars arguing for them to be sentenced to death. Both men's violent criminal histories and the cruelty of the murder to warrant death were cited in the bills.

According to the district attorney's office, Kelley and Sisney lured 32-year old Cushing resident Amber Nicole Sporleder to an isolated area northeast of Cushing and stabbed her in the neck with a knife causing her to bleed to death.

Both have previous violent felony convictions. Kelley was found guilty of assault and battery and domestic abuse in the presence of a child. Sisney was convicted of domestic abuse by strangulation and assault and battery on a police officer.

Both are scheduled to appear in court June 5 with legal counsel.

A passerby discovered the Sporleder's body near Harmony Road, a half mile north or East River Bend Road, northeast of Cushing Friday morning. The Payne County Sheriff’s Office asked the OSBI to assist with the homicide investigation.

Agents developed leads throughout the day. They arrested Sisney and Justin Allen Kelleymen Friday night on complaints of murder.

http://www.stwnewspress.com/breaking...Cushing-murder

Cushing Murder Preliminary Hearing Postponed

A preliminary hearing for two convicted felons charged with first-degree murder -- that was scheduled to begin today -- in the slaying of a Cushing woman has been postponed on the request of the defense.

The body of 33-year-old Amber Nicole "Nikki" Sporleder, whose throat had been cut, was found lying alongside Harmony Road, about one-quarter mile north of Riverbend Road near Yale, at 6:48 a.m. on May 24 by a passer-by, authorities said.

Her accused killers, ex-convict Denny Allen Sisney, 35, of Cushing, and former Cushing resident Justin Allen Kelley, 31, were arrested on the day of the slaying and remain jailed without bail.

District Attorney Tom Lee is seeking the death penalty for both men accused in the fatal stabbing of the woman, who was allegedly lured to the place of her death.

In a motion for a continuance that was filed Friday, Sisney's court-appointed attorneys, Peter Astor and Cori Grayson, said that they had only recently received documents from the prosecution and had inadequate time to prepare for the preliminary hearing.

Special District Judge Katherine Thomas on Tuesday granted the defense request, to which the state did not object, court records show.

Both defendants were ordered to appear in court on Sept. 9 when a new preliminary hearing date could be set, court records show.

Kelley, who formerly lived in Cushing, but was living in Stillwater when he was arrested on May 24, "maintained he was present when Sporleder was killed, but he was only driving the vehicle," an affidavit alleged.

Sisney, an ex-convict who was arrested in Cushing on May 24 on outstanding Creek County warrants, "maintained he had been drinking tequila the previous night, had passed out, and could not remember anything after that," Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation Agent Marty Wilson wrote in an affidavit.

Payne County deputies found the body of Sporleder, whose throat had been cut, on the west side of Harmony Road after a passer-by called. Emergency personnel responded, checked her for vital signs, and determined she was deceased, the affidavit said.

"Very close to the body, a silver LG cellular telephone was found," from which several text messages had been sent that morning -- including one at 4:59 a.m. that said, "I am scared no I am not liein," the affidavit said. One sent at 5 a.m. said, "He put gloves on," the affidavit said.

In the past, emergency protective orders had been obtained against Sisney and Kelley in Payne County -- one against Sisney in 2003 and two against Kelley, one in 2006 and another in 2010, by separate women, court records show.

At the time of his arrest in connection with Sporleder's slaying, Sisney was on 10 years' probation for assault and battery on a police officer in Creek County in 2009.

Sisney served about five months of a one-year prison term for being a felon in possession of a .380 handgun in Tulsa County in 2011, state Department of Corrections records show.

Sisney also served about four months of a one-year sentence for domestic assault and battery by strangulation in Creek County in 2007, DOC records show.

At the time of his arrest, Kelley was on four and one-half years' probation for breaking into Mac's Jewelry in Cushing last year. He was ordered to serve six months in jail and pay $25,864 restitution.

Kelley's criminal record includes a domestic abuse conviction in Ripley in 2006, for which he received a one-year probationary sentence.

Kelley was also ordered to pay $4,168 restitution for punching a man in Ripley, who received a fractured jaw in 2006, court records show.

http://www.1600kush.com/story.php?id=6318&section=1
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Cushing Man Testifies Against Murder Co-defendant

By Patti Weaver
    1600kush.com

(Stillwater, Okla.) -- A Cushing woman was murdered because the woman with whom she was living believed she was stealing from her and not paying for her methamphetamine, one of two Cushing men charged in the slaying testified Friday.

Amber Nicole "Nikki" Sporleder, 33, whose throat was cut, was identified by her tattoos that had been entered into a state crime bureau database, Payne County Sheriff's Deputy Nick Myers told a judge during a preliminary hearing Friday.

"I knew she was going to be killed," said murder co-defendant Justin Allen Kelley, 32, who testified Friday that he drove the victim to a location between Cushing and Yale where she was slain by his co-defendant, Denny Allen Sisney, 36, on Harmony Road north of Riverbend Road, early on the morning of May 24.

Two days before the preliminary hearing, Kelley had pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and was given a 25-year prison term followed by probation for life, along with immunity from prosecution for other crimes -- in exchange for his testimony against Sisney.

At the close of the preliminary hearing, Special District Judge Katherine Thomas ordered Sisney to stand trial on the first-degree murder charge and a count of conspiracy to commit murder added by prosecutor Kevin Etherington Friday. He remains jailed without bail pending his trial court arraignment on April 4.

The Cushing woman with whom the victim had been living, Laurie Darlene Bacon, 41, has not yet been charged in connection with the murder. Bacon gave "the green light" to killing Sporleder, Kelley testified Friday.

Two weeks ago, Bacon was sentenced to five years in prison followed by five years of probation for twice possessing a drug near Cushing High School in 2013.

Sporleder had moved in with Bacon four or five months before she was killed, Kelley testified.

"Three days to a week (before the murder), everything unfolded about her stealing stuff," Kelley testified.

"She'd be at Laurie's house when I'd come over," testified Kelley, who said that he and Bacon had been trafficking methamphetamine for about a year together.

"If I moved, that's what I was doing," admitted Kelley, who had broken into Mac's Jewelry in Cushing in 2012, for which he was ordered to pay $25,864 restitution, spend six months in jail and serve four and one-half years of probation.

"Nikki was stealing stuff from Laurie's house. She wasn't paying her for the dope she got off her," which angered Bacon, Kelley testified.

Kelley, who said he didn't have anything against Sporleder but wanted to kill her boyfriend, testified "I told her Laurie knew she was stealing her shit, the meth, the clothes, the jewelry."

Kelley said that he was introduced six or seven months earlier to Sisney, who had a sexual relationship with Bacon, he testified.

The night of the slaying, Kelley, Sisney, Sporleder and her boyfriend were drinking at Bacon's house -- where they all used methamphetamine including Bacon, he testified.

While Sporleder and her boyfriend were in a bedroom, "Sisney said somebody needed to teach her a lesson," which Kelley testified was "to take her out and kill her."

"He (Sisney) said he would do it at Bacon's. I was just told take them to the river. Sisney carried a knife constantly -- it's a camouflage lockblade.

"That's the knife he had the night he committed murder. He was sitting in the room sharpening it. He sharpens his knife all the time," Kelley testified.

"We left in Laurie's truck after 3 or 4 a.m. We were going to take her to the river," Kelley testified. Sporleder's boyfriend -- whom Kelley wanted to kill because he had once called the police on Kelley -- disappeared before they could get him in the truck, Kelley said.

The murder victim was lured into the truck with the story that they were going fishing, Kelley testified. She was in the passenger seat of Bacon's truck, with Kelley driving and Sisney in the back seat, he testified.

"We went down to the river. I headed south on Norfolk. I stopped and acted like the truck was stuck. I tried to get her out of the truck. She said she wasn't pushing it," Kelley testified.

Again later, "I stopped the truck. She said 'I'll get out and walk.' Sisney got out behind her. I stayed in the truck. I heard them arguing. I turned the radio up. Nikki was screaming," Kelley testified.

Sisney "had blue plastic gloves on, I guess to stop from leaving fingerprints. I got them from Bacon. He threw them out after we took off. He just pitched them to right of the road. I saw him throw the knife out," Kelley testified.

"He told me to drive -- that he'd killed her. I almost lost control of the vehicle. He said I was talking with a murderer, to drive. He had blood on his arms and shirt. It was smeared blood," Kelley testified.

"We went to Laurie Bacon's. He got in the shower, threw his clothes in a trash bag, told me to get rid of them," which he later put on the side of a wash tub at his mother's house, Kelley testified.

Before she was killed, "Nikki was texting the whole time. I was supposed to get the phone before we left the river. At the house, he (Sisney) asked me if I got the phone. I didn't have the phone. He said 'we're screwed,'" Kelley testified.

Under cross-examination from Sisney's court-appointed attorney, Peter Astor -- who characterized Kelley as Bacon's enforcer or muscle -- Kelley admitted, "I made sure Laurie got paid."

Kelley testified that "money, dope, rigs (needles and spoons) were kept in a safe" that Bacon moved around to different houses since "she got paranoid."

"Pretty much wherever the safe was, that's where I would stay," Kelley testified. He said that he injected methamphetamine like most of the people he hung out with.

Kelley claimed he drank two fifths of whiskey before the killing. "When you're on meth, you're water-proof. I shot up at 1:30 a.m. or 2 a.m." Kelley testified.

Pointing out that Kelley had made different statements to investigators, Astor said, "You have so many versions out there sir, Mr. Kelley. Can you see how there would be a problem telling which one is true?" to which Kelley said, "yes."

Kelley testified that he was afraid of Sisney: "He had committed murder I and I was the only one who could put him at the scene of the crime."

Deputy Myers had testified that at 6:50 a.m. on May 24, 2013, he was sent to Phillips and Harmony Road, one mile east of Norfolk Road where a woman's body was lying on the west side of Harmony Road with a laceration to the neck.

Her shoes and cell phone were in the vicinity, he testified. Light blue gloves with a blood-like substance on them were in a ditch, he testified.

"I searched the system using tattoos I had seen," on the victim's body, the deputy testified. "I determined Amber Nicole Sporleder had similar tattoos," he testified.

Payne County Sheriff R.B. Hauf testified that shortly after he was notified at 7 a.m. of a possible homicide, he asked the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation to assist in the case.

"OSBI asked we do a shoulder-to-shoulder search of the bar ditch to see if any evidence was in the grass," which was about knee high, the sheriff testified.

"I found a camo-colored pocket knife with what appeared to be blood on it. The knife was straight west of where the body was," in a pasture that he searched, the sheriff testified.

District Attorney Tom Lee is seeking the death penalty for Sisney, an ex-convict who has been held without bail since his arrest on the day of the slaying.

Sisney "maintained he had been drinking tequila the previous night, had passed out, and could not remember anything after that," OSBI Agent Marty Wilson wrote in an affidavit.

At the time of his arrest in Sporleder's slaying, Sisney was on 10 years' probation for assault and battery on a police officer in Creek County in 2009.

Sisney served about five months of a one-year prison term for being a felon in possession of a .380 handgun in Tulsa County in 2011, DOC records show.

Sisney also served about four months of a one-year sentence for domestic assault and battery by strangulation in Creek County in 2007, DOC records show.

http://www.1600kush.com/story.php?id=6763&section=1

September 23, 2014

Sisney Admits Murdering Sporleder, Sentenced to Life without Parole

Stillwater, Okla. -- An ex-convict -- for whom the death penalty had originally been sought -- was sentenced to life in prison without parole today after pleading guilty to first-degree murder in the slaying of a Cushing woman, who was stabbed in the throat.

Denny Allen Sisney, 36, of Cushing, was given a concurrent five-year prison term today for conspiracy to commit murder by Payne County Associate District Judge Stephen Kistler.

The body of the victim, 33-year-old Amber Nicole Sporleder, was found in a ditch about 7 a.m. on May 24, 2013, on Harmony Road north of Riverbend Road near Yale, according to preliminary hearing testimony.

Payne County District Attorney Tom Lee said today that members of the victim's family were present in the courtroom and agreeable to the plea disposition for Sisney.

Laurie Darlene Bacon, 41, of Cushing, gave the "green light" to kill Sporleder, murder co-defendant Justin Allen Kelley, 32, of Cushing, testified in a preliminary hearing.

Bacon, who is serving a five-year prison term followed by five years of probation for twice possessing a drug near Cushing High School in 2013, is scheduled to have a Jan. 20 jury trial on a charge of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the slaying of Sporleder -- who had lived with her.

Kelley, who was also charged with first-degree murder in the slaying, is serving a 25-year prison term followed by probation for life in exchange for his testimony against Bacon.

Kelley testified in a preliminary hearing that he drove the victim and Sisney in Bacon's truck to the place where he said Sisney killed Sporleder, while Kelley stayed inside the vehicle with the radio turned up.

Kelley testified that the slain woman had been stealing Bacon's personal items and "not paying her dope money."

Bacon said that the victim "needed to be taught a lesson. Denny (Sisney) said he'd take care of it," Kelley testified in a preliminary hearing.

Bacon said that the victim "was the reason she got busted the first time," Kelley testified in a preliminary hearing.

At the time of his arrest in the victim's slaying, Sisney was on 10 years' probation for assault and battery on a police officer in Creek County in 2009.

Sisney served about five months of a one-year prison term for being a felon in possession of a .380 handgun in Tulsa County in 2011, state Department of Corrections records show. Sisney also served about four months of a one-year sentence for domestic assault and battery by strangulation in Creek County in 2007, DOC records show.

http://1600kush.com/story.php?id=7536&section=1

Thread Information