Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: James "Whitey" Bulger

Three men indicted in connection with the prison death of Whitey Bulger

BOSTON (WHDH) - Three men have been indicted in connection with the prison death of notorious Boston gangster Whitey Bulger, the United States Attorney’s Office of the Northern District of West Virginia.

Fotios “Freddy” Geas, 55, Paul J DeCologero, 48, and Sean McKinnon, 36, were charged on Wednesday to commit first degree murder in connection with the 2018 death of Whitey Bulger while the he was incarcerated at United States Penitentiary Hazleton in Bruceton Mills, West Virginia.

Geas and DeCologero are accused of striking Bulger several times in the head, causing the 89-year-old’s death. In addition to the conspiracy charge, the two men have been charged with aiding and abetting first degree murder, along with assault resulting in serious bodily injury.

McKinnon faces a seperate charge for the murder of an inmate serving a life sentence.

https://whdh.com/news/three-men-indi...ey-bulger/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Whitey Bulger killers were tipped off about mobster’s prison arrival and murdered him within six minutes

By Rachel Sharp
    The Independent

The three men accused of murdering James “Whitey” Bulger were tipped off about the notorious mobster's arrival at the prison, plotted in advance to kill him and then bludgeoned him to death just six minutes after cell doors opened for the day, according to prosecutors.

Fotios “Freddy” Geas, 55, Paul “Pauly” DeCologero, 48, and Sean McKinnon, 36, were indicted last week on charges of conspiracy to commit first degree murder.

The charges came almost four years after the infamous leader of Boston's Winter Hill Gang was savagely beaten to death inside US Penitentiary Hazelton in West Virginia.

The three suspects were all behind bars at the prison when Bulger was transferred there on 29 October 2018.

The next morning, the 89-year-old mob boss was found by prison guards wrapped in blankets and posed to appear as if he were sleeping. He had been beaten to death and was left almost unrecognisable.

While almost four years passed with no charges brought over his death, the brutal murder has also raised questions about the failings of the Federal Bureau of Prisons to protect one of its most high-profile inmates who had a target on his back as a mobster turned FBI informant.

In court on Monday, new details emerged about the timeline of the killing and some of the evidence said to tie the three suspects to the crime.

Assistant US Attorney Hannah Nowalk said that Bulger’s killers – a former mafia hitman, a mobster involved in the murder and dismemberment of a 19-year-old girl, and a convict with no known mob ties who was released from prison just three weeks ago – somehow learned about his arrival at the prison in advance.

Then, “as soon as they saw Bulger come into the unit, they planned to kill him”, she said.

Following his death, the three suspects then allegedly confessed to carrying out the attack to other inmates in the lockup.

A jailhouse phone call between McKinnon and his mother was played to the court, revealing that the inmate had advance knowledge of Bulger’s transfer to the penitentiary.

“We’re getting ready to get another higher profile person here tonight,” McKinnon said in the call.

“No, I mean, you should know the name… Ever heard the name Whitey Bulger?”

When McKinnon told his mother who the high-profile inmate was, his mother Cheryl Prevost urged him to stay clear of him.

“Stay away from him, please,” she said.

McKinnon told his mother “Ah, I can’t”, saying that his cellmate Geas was “a henchman for a mob family out of New York and Boston”.

His mother warned him that “you get in trouble”, to which he replied: “Don’t worry. Oh, I don’t plan it.”

The call was made at around 3.30pm on 29 October 2018 – around five hours before Bulger arrived at the prison at 8.30pm that night.

Ms Nowalk said the phone call proves that the inmates knew about Bulger’s impending arrival and began immediately plotting to kill him.

It is not clear who tipped the inmates off about Bulger arriving at the penitentiary.

At 6am the next morning, all the cell doors in the prison block were unlocked and Geas and McKinnon – who were cellmates – were captured on surveillance footage meeting DeCologero in their cell.

Just six minutes later – at 6.06am – surveillance footage allegedly captured Geas and DeCologero entering Bulger’s cell.

McKinnon is accused of positioning himself at a table outside to act as a lookout.

It took just seven minutes to murder the mobster who was 89 years old and wheelchair bound at the time.

At 6.13am, Geas and DeCologero left Bulger’s cell and the three suspects returned to Geas and McKinnon’s cell, prosecutors said.

Prison guards discovered Bulger dead in his cell two hours later at 8.07am.

He had been at the prison for less than 12 hours.

Ms Nowalk told the court that three jailhouse informants had come forward to reveal that the suspects admitted to killing Bulger.

One of the informants said DeCologero told him he and Geas beat the 89-year-old to death with “a belt with a lock attached to it” while McKinnon was a lookout.

The motive for Bulger’s murder remains unclear.

One of the jailhouse informants said that DeCologero told him that Bulger was a “snitch”, according to prosecutors.

At Monday’s hearing, a federal judge ordered McKinnon to be held behind bars ahead of trial.

McKinnon had been released from prison just three weeks earlier on 27 July after serving eight years for stealing and trading guns for heroin in Connecticut.
    He had no known mob ties.

As well as the conspiracy to murder charge, McKinnon is also charged with making false statements to a federal agent.

Meanwhile, Geas and DeCologero are also charged with aiding and abetting first degree murder and assault resulting in serious bodily injury.

Geas is also facing a separate charge for murder by a federal inmate serving a life sentence.

Geas and DeCologero – who both have mob ties – are accused of striking Bulger in the head multiple times and causing his death.

Geas is still behind bars at the Hazelton penitentiary and DeCologero is currently being held at a separate federal prison facility, prosecutors said.

DeCologero was a member of organised crime gang the DeCologero Crew which reigned over the North Shore of Massachusetts and is currently serving a 25-year sentence for his part in the 1996 murder of 19–year–old Aislin Silva.

Geas is a longtime hitman and associate of the Genovese Organized Crime Family based in Springfield, Massachusetts.

He is currently serving a life sentence for the murders of mob boss Adolfo “Big Al” Bruno and mob associate Gary Westerman and the attempted murder of a union boss Frank Dabado.

At the time of his murder, Bulger was serving two life sentences for the murders of 11 people, as well as a string of other charges including extortion, money laundering and drug dealing.

During the 70s and 80s, Bulger terrorised the streets of Boston as the notorious leader of the Winter Hill Gang, while also acting as an informant for the FBI.

He famously went on the run in 1995 – one day before he was to be indicted on federal racketeering charges – and evaded justice for the next 16 years, 12 of which he was on the FBI’s Most Wanted list.

In 2011 – at the age of 81 – he was finally arrested in Santa Monica, California, and was convicted of 11 murders in 2013.

Right up until his death, Bulger continued to deny that he was ever a government informant.

Prison officials and Bulger’s own family slammed the decision to move Bulger from a safer prison in Florida to the troubled West Virginia prison known to be dangerous to snitches, where he was also placed among the general population.

In 2020, Bulger’s family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Federal Bureau of Prisons and 30 prison employees, saying that he was “deliberately placed in harm’s way”.

The suit, which sought $200m in damages, claimed that Bulger was “subjected to a risk of certain death or serious bodily injury by the intentional or deliberately indifferent actions” of prison officials.

A federal judge dismissed the lawsuit in January.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...c2bc09686915ed
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

I think it was intentional. No one with sense would send him to a prison filled with several mafia hitmen

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Maybe someone higher up in charge of transfers was paid off to send him here.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Probably someone from the FBI

Another defendant in Bulger slaying arraigned; sides mum on whether death penalty prosecution in play

Attorney General Merrick Garland would have to sign off on any bid for a capital conviction

By Matt Harvey
    WV News

CLARKSBURG, W.Va. — It’s unclear if U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland has made a decision on whether to seek the death penalty in the case of a Massachusetts mob hitman accused in the USP Hazelton prison slaying of mobster/informant James “Whitey” Bulger.

Attorneys for both the government and defense declined to discuss the matter following the initial appearance and arraignment Friday of Fotios “Freddy” Geas, 55, of West Springfield, Massachusetts.

Geas was indicted earlier this year by a federal grand jury in Northern West Virginia on charges of aiding and abetting first-degree murder, second-degree murder by a federal prisoner serving a life sentence, conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and assault resulting in serious injury.

During Friday’s hearing, Northern West Virginia District Judge Thomas S. Kleeh informed Geas that he could face either life in prison or the death penalty if convicted on either of the first two counts.

The conspiracy charge carries up to 5 years upon conviction, and the assault charge carries up to 10 years upon conviction, Kleeh told Geas.

Denver attorney Nathan Chambers entered not guilty pleas on behalf of Geas.

The court set timelines for discovery sharing and motions, but the remainder of the trial schedule is on hold pending the initial appearance and arraignment of the final defendant in the case, Paul J. “Pauly” DeCologero, 48, who’s also presumed innocent.

DeCologero is set for an initial appearance Oct. 26, nearly four years to the day since Bulger’s slaying.

first-degree murder and could face life or death if convicted on that charge.

DeCologero also is charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and assault resulting in serious injury.

The third defendant, and first arraigned, was Sean McKinnon, 36, of Florida. McKinnon is charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, and making a false statement to a federal agent (which also carries up to 5 years in prison upon conviction). Assistant Federal Defender Katy Cimino entered not guilty pleas on behalf of McKinnon.

Geas is serving his life sentence at USP Hazelton, where he’s been since March 2013, according to a statement in court Friday. However, statements in court seemed to indicate Geas may soon be on the move to a facility where attorneys Chambers and Patrick Burke, also of Denver, could more easily meet with him. The third defense attorney on the case is Belinda Haynie, of Morgantown.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Brandon Flower and First Assistant U.S. Attorney Randolph Bernard had moved to detain Geas. That was, as Flower indicated, more of a cover-all-the-bases gesture than anything else considering the defendant’s life term, and Geas agreed to waive a hearing on that matter.

A detention hearing could be more critical with DeCologero, who’s at USP Lee in Pennington Gap, Virginia, who’s scheduled to discharge that term Sept. 24, 2026. Federal prosecutions for cases that carry the potential of life in prison, or the death penalty, can last for several years.

Since USP Hazelton opened in 2004 near Bruceton Mills, Preston County, there have been several slayings and violent attacks at the high-security facility.

U.S. attorneys in Northern West Virginia, including current U.S. Attorney William Ihlenfeld during his first term, have had cases where the death penalty was in play involving Hazelton slayings. To this point, none have resulted in a death penalty verdict.

Bulger was 89 at the time of his slaying. Shortly before he was killed, he was transferred from USP Coleman II in Sumterville, Florida, to the Federal Transfer Center in Oklahoma City. Bulger had been at Hazelton only hours before he was killed while in general population.

Mass Live has reported that Geas is serving life in prison in connection with the slayings in 2003 of a mob boss and a low-level mob associate. Mass Live reported that McKinnon was Geas’ roommate at the time of the slaying of Bulger; McKinnon was released from prison to supervised release and was arrested in Florida before he was returned to face the West Virginia indictment.

DeCologero is in federal prison on convictions for racketeering and witness tampering, according to NBC.

https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/a...62bab.amp.html

At least several months before feds decide whether to seek death penalty in Whitey Bulger slaying case

Mobster/informant was beaten to death Oct. 30, 2018, at USP Hazleton in Preston County, West Virginia; indictment handed up Aug. 17

By Matt Harvey
    WV News

CLARKSBURG, W.Va. — It will be at least several months before U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland decides whether to seek the death penalty for two federal inmates accused of beating Whitey Bulger to death.

While Garland's office hasn't responded to a WV News request to comment on that aspect of the case, the timeline was laid out in a joint motion to continue filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Clarksburg.

"The defendants face charges arising from the death of inmate James "Whitey" Bulger at the United States Penitentiary in Hazelton, West Virginia on October 30, 2018," attorneys for the government and defense wrote.

"The death led to an investigation that continued for almost four (4) years before an indictment was returned. Defense counsel requires additional time to review and process the discovery and to conduct any follow-up investigation," the attorneys wrote.

"Additional time is needed for the United States to decide whether to seek the death penalty in this case," the attorneys wrote. "That decision must be made by the Attorney General [Garland] after input and recommendations from the United States Attorney [William Ihlenfeld]. The parties expect that review will take at least several more months."

The government has charged Fotios "Freddy" Geas, 55 and Paul J. "Pauly" DeCologero, 48, in a way that it could seek death penalty convictions against either or both. A third defendant, Sean McKinnon, 36, is facing lesser charges.

The case is set for a pretrial conference Dec. 2, with trial beginning Dec. 13.

The motion to continue requests a general postponement, with a status conference during or after the week of Feb. 6.

Chief Judge Thomas S. Kleeh didn't immediately rule.

DeCologero, also known as “Pauly,” was indicted Aug. 17 on charges of aiding and abetting first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and assault resulting in serious injury.

DeCologero could face death or up to life in prison on the first charge; up to 5 years in prison on the second charge; and up to 10 years on the third charge.

Geas was indicted on the same aiding and abetting and conspiracy charges as DeCologero, as well as a charge of second-degree murder by a federal prisoner serving a life sentence.

Geas could face death or up to life in prison on the latter count.

McKinnon was indicted on the same conspiracy charge. He also was indicted on a charge of making a false statement to a federal agent (up to 5 years in prison).

Kleeh has entered not guilty pleas on behalf of all three defendants.

Geas is serving life in prison at USP Hazelton. DeCologero has a release date of Sept. 24, 2026, and is at FCI Hazelton, although he’s not permitted to be in the general population due to his rating, according to a statement in court. McKinnon is in U.S. Marshals Service custody at an undisclosed location.

Since USP Hazelton opened in 2004 near Bruceton Mills, Preston County, there have been several slayings and violent attacks at the high-security facility.

U.S. attorneys in Northern West Virginia, including current U.S. Attorney Ihlenfeld during his first term, have had cases where the death penalty was in play involving Hazelton slayings. To this point, none has resulted in a death penalty verdict.

Bulger was 89 at the time of his slaying. Shortly before he was killed, he was transferred from USP Coleman II in Sumterville, Florida, to the Federal Transfer Center in Oklahoma City. Bulger had been at Hazelton only hours before he was killed while in general population.

Mass Live has reported that Geas is serving life in prison in connection with the slayings in 2003 of a mob boss and a low-level mob associate. Mass Live reported that McKinnon was Geas’ roommate at the time of the slaying of Bulger; McKinnon was released from prison to supervised release and was arrested in Florida before he was returned to face the West Virginia indictment.

DeCologero is in federal prison on convictions for racketeering and witness tampering, according to NBC.

The motion to continue was signed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Brandon Flower, for Ihlenfeld; Denver attorney Nathan Chambers, for Geas; Lexington, Kentucky, attorney Patrick Nash, for DeCologero; and Northern West Virginia Assistant Federal Defender Katy Cimino, for McKinnon.

https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/a...0c3b1.amp.html

Fed judge in Northern West Virginia postpones trial for 3 accused in slaying Whitey Bulger

By Matt Harvey
    wvnews.com

The trial for three men in connection with the October 2018 prison slaying of mobster-turned-informant Whitey Bulger has been postponed indefinitely.

The Office of U.S. Attorney William Ihlenfeld, along with counsel for defendants Fotios Geas, Paul J. DeCologero and Sean McKinnon, had jointly requested the postponement. They had cited the complexity of the case and the several months needed before Attorney General Merrick Garland makes a decision on whether to seek a death penalty prosecution against Geas and DeCologero.

Northern West Virginia Chief U.S. District Judge Thomas S. Kleeh on Tuesday granted the motion for a continuance. Kleeh set a status conference at 2 p.m. Feb. 9 in Clarksburg, around the time the sides had requested.

The trial had been set for mid-December.

“The parties write that the defendants face charges arising from the death of inmate James ‘Whitey’ Bulger at the United States Penitentiary in Hazelton, West Virginia, on October 30, 2018,” Kleeh wrote.

“Bulger’s death led to an investigation that continued for almost four years before an Indictment was returned. Defense counsel requires additional time to review and process the discovery and conduct potential follow-up investigation,” Kleeh wrote.

“Further, the United States requires additional time to decide whether to seek the death penalty. That decision is made by the Attorney General after receiving input and recommendations from the United States Attorney. This is expected to take at least several additional months. ...

In continuing the trial, the Court has considered the factors outlined in 18 U.S.C. § 3161. Due to the complex nature of the prosecution, along with defense counsel’s need for additional time to prepare for trial, and for all other reasons discussed in the second paragraph of this order, the Court finds that the ends of justice served by continuing the trial outweigh the best interests of the public and the defendants in a speedy trial,” Kleeh wrote.

“The case is so unusual and complex, due to the nature of the prosecution, that it is unreasonable to expect adequate preparation for pretrial proceedings or for the trial itself within the time limits established by the Speedy Trial Act. See 18 U.S.C. § 3161(h)(7)(B)(ii). Further, the failure to grant a continuance would deny counsel for the defendants the reasonable time necessary for effective preparation, taking into account the exercise of due diligence. ... Finally, the failure to grant a continuance would be likely to result in a miscarriage of justice. ... For all of these reasons, the resulting period of delay with respect to the trial date shall be excluded for purposes of the Speedy Trial Act,” Kleeh wrote.

Geas, 55, was indicted Aug. 17 on charges of aiding and abetting first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and assault resulting in serious injury.

DeCologero, also known as “Pauly,” 48, could face death or up to life in prison on the first charge; up to 5 years in prison on the second charge; and up to 10 years on the third charge.

Geas was indicted on the same aiding and abetting and conspiracy charges as DeCologero, as well as a charge of second-degree murder by a federal prisoner serving a life sentence.

Geas could face death or up to life in prison on the latter count.

McKinnon, 36, was indicted on the same conspiracy charge. He also was indicted on a charge of making a false statement to a federal agent (up to 5 years in prison).

Kleeh has entered not guilty pleas on behalf of all three defendants.

Geas is serving life in prison at USP Hazelton. DeCologero has a release date of Sept. 24, 2026, and is at FCI Hazelton, although he’s not permitted to be in the general population due to his rating, according to a statement in court.

McKinnon is in U.S. Marshals Service custody in another state after a federal magistrate in the Middle District of Florida ordered his detention. Assistant Federal Defender Katy Cimino has asked Kleeh to review the magistrate’s ruling, asserting that McKinnon is only alleged to have served as a lookout; that he knew he was a target of the investigation, but didn’t run; that the majority of McKinnon’s criminal history involves “theft offenses and property crimes”; and that McKinnon could stay with a relative in Ocala, Florida, on home detention, while returning to a full-time job, if released.

“This is preferable,” Cimino wrote, “as Mr. McKinnon would not have to remain incarcerated while awaiting a trial that could potentially not commence for years.” She cited statistics from the Federal Death Penalty Resource Counsel that the average time between indictment and verdict for recent death penalty cases has been almost four years.

U.S. attorneys in Northern West Virginia, including current U.S. Attorney Ihlenfeld during his first term, have had cases where the death penalty was in play involving Hazelton slayings. To this point, none has resulted in a death penalty verdict.

Bulger, confined to a wheelchair, was 89 at the time of his slaying. Shortly before he was beaten to death in his cell, he was transferred from USP Coleman II in Sumterville, Florida, to the Federal Transfer Center in Oklahoma City. Bulger had been at Hazelton only hours before he was killed while in general population.

The motion to continue was signed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Brandon Flower, for Ihlenfeld; Denver attorney Nathan Chambers, for Geas; Lexington, Kentucky, attorney Patrick Nash, for DeCologero; and Cimino, for McKinnon.

https://www.wvnews.com/statejournal/...66d13fceb.html

Prosecutors won’t seek death penalty against men charged in Whitey Bulger’s prison killing

BY ALANNA DURKIN RICHER
    The Associated Press

BOSTON — Federal prosecutors will not pursue the death penalty against two men charged with the prison killing of notorious Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger, according to court papers filed Wednesday.

Prosecutors said in a court filing that in the event Fotios “Freddy” Geas, a former Mafia hitman, and Paul J. DeCologero, a Massachusetts gangster, are convicted of murder in Bulger’s killing, they will not seek a death sentence.

Geas also faced a possible death sentence if found guilty of an additional charge of murder by a federal prisoner serving a life sentence. But prosecutors said they would not seek it in the event he is convicted of that charge either.

Geas and DeCologero were charged last August in the 2018 slaying of Bulger, who who ran the largely Irish mob in Boston in the 1970s and ’80s and served as an FBI informant who ratted on his gang’s main rival. Bulger was killed just hours after he was transferred to a prison in West Virginia from another lockup in Florida and placed in the general population.

Geas and DeCologero are accused of striking Bulger in the head multiple times while a third man, Sean McKinnon, acted as a lookout. An inmate witness told authorities that DeCologero said he and Geas used a belt with a lock attached to it to beat Bulger to death.

Geas, DeCologero and McKinnon are all charged with conspiracy to commit murder, which carries up to life in prison. McKinnon, who is charged separately with making false statements to a federal agent, did not face a possible death sentence. The men are scheduled to go on trial in December 2024 in federal court in West Virginia.

Patrick Nash, an attorney for DeCologero, called it the “correct decision by the Department of Justice.”

“We are looking forward to our day in court. We trust the system and trust the fairness of the system and will put the facts in front of the jury,” Nash said.

https://apnews.com/article/whitey-bu...cbcf5b9a95200b

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information