Thread: States that Abolish executions

Senior Member Frequent Poster stixfix69's Avatar

States that Abolish executions

Will states that are abolishing executions for capital murder, will they not open themselves up for more serial killings, as they will know the worst that can happen is LWOP????

I donīt think so. I think LWOP is not much more attractive than the DP. The problem is that the state loses an appropriate punishment for the worst of the worst.
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

Most "serial killings" aren't done by those who even generalize punishment in their actions, so whatever punishment is on the books for the state does not cross their minds. Look at Washington, a death penalty state, and the list of serial killers who have come from there. It's a psycological defect in these individuals that bring about these behaviors. I think murder in general is going to happen regardless of what crime is on the books. Look at Texas, a state that does not shy away from execution, yet there is still a high murder rate in Houston, and Dallas has it's share of violent crime. I really hate the whole Capital Punishment as a deterrent argument. Most murders are committed in a heated act, whether it be during a burglary, robbery, carjacking, or rape. It's an afterthought of an original crime.

Senior Member CnCP Legend JimKay's Avatar
    "Most 'serial killings' aren't done by those who even generalize punishment in their actions, so whatever punishment is on the books for the state does not cross their minds."

"Big deal. Death always went with the territory. I'll see you in Disneyland." -- Richard Ramirez

Thread Information