Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hernandez Kills Himself

Or maybe he paid off the jury with season tickets. Have to watch those Patriots!

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Dude is broke; Baez did this pro bono.

And now an apparent suicide

Aaron Hernandez, former NFL player, found dead in prison cell, officials say

Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots star who was convicted of murder in 2015, killed himself in his prison cell Wednesday morning, officials said.

Hernandez, 27, was found hanging in his cell by corrections officers around 3:05 a.m. at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center, Massachusetts Department of Correction officials said in a statement.

He was pronounced dead an hour later.

Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population housing unit and hanged himself with a bed sheet attached to his cell window. He also tried blocking his door from the inside with various items, officials said.

An investigation was ongoing.

Hernandez was not on a suicide watch and authorities had yet to find any suicide note in his cell, The Boston Globe reported. Officials said Hernandez had given no indication he might try to take his own life.

“If he had made any kind of statement, he would have not been in that unit,’’ Department of Correction spokesperson Christopher Fallon said.

The death of the once-promising NFL tight end came almost two years to the day when he was convicted of first-degree murder in the death of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd. The 15th selection in the 2010 NFL draft,

Hernandez was arrested in August 2013 in connection with Lloyd's June 2013 death.

On April 14, Hernandez was found not guilty in a double homicide separate from the Lloyd case; however, he was already serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole in connection with Lloyd's murder.

The disgraced NFL star played three seasons with the Patriots, scoring 18 touchdowns and forming a fierce tight end tandem with Rob Gronkowski. He had two touchdowns in six playoff games, including eight catches for 67 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Super Bowl XLVI loss to the Giants.

But his seemingly ascendant career came crashing down when police began investigating Lloyd's murder and eventually came to finger Hernandez as the trigger man. The Patriots quickly cut Hernandez from the team prior to the 2013 season.

The Patriots had yet to comment on the death of Hernandez, but the team was set to be at the White House on Wednesday in honor of their Super Bowl LI victory.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/19...cials-say.html
    Last edited by Helen; 04-19-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: posted article not just link

Saved taxpayers a whole lot of $$$. Wish more would do this!!!

It would have to be a trend for any real savings to come about; if anything, this gives the union an excuse to push for higher staffing levels.

Trend would be good

WEEI reporting that, as expected, all charges in the death of Odin Lloyd are voided and Hernandez is innocent in the eyes of the law.

Aaron Hernandez murder conviction thrown out by judge

A judge has agreed to erase Aaron Hernandez's conviction in a 2013 murder case because he died before his appeal was heard.

Judge E. Susan Garsh ruled Tuesday that a legal doctrine that calls for vacating convictions when a defendant dies before the appeal was binding precedent. She said she was compelled to follow it.

Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III said he plans to appeal the ruling and is willing to take the case all the way to the Massachusetts Supreme Court.

"Despite the tragic ending to Aaron Hernandez's life, he should not reap the legal benefits of an antiquated rule," Quinn said. "State and federal courts from across the country have rejected this antiquated rule. Massachusetts, in my opinion, needs to follow suit."

A lawyer for Hernandez's estate had asked the judge to overturn the conviction after the former New England Patriots tight end hanged himself in his prison cell last month. He was serving a life sentence in the killing of semiprofessional football player Odin Lloyd.

Appellate attorney John Thompson maintained that a conviction is not considered final until it is decided by a higher court.

Ursula Ward, Lloyd's mother, said the judge's decision will not affect her view on Hernandez's culpability and what happened to her son.

"In our book, he's guilty and he's going to always be guilty," Ward said of Hernandez. "But I know, I know one day I'm going to see my son, and that's the victory that I have and I am going to take with me. I am waiting for my master to say, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant, and welcome to the joys of my kingdom.' And that's when I'll see my baby again. ...

"I am not giving up. When [God] says the battle is over, the battle is over. So I'm holding on until He tells me to give up."

Lloyd's family could still proceed with a wrongful death lawsuit against Hernandez's estate, despite the ruling.

Prosecutors had said that dismissing the murder conviction would reward Hernandez's decision to take his own life. Prosecutor Patrick Bomberg had argued that Hernandez "should not be able to accomplish in death what he could not accomplish in life."

Garsh rejected the argument that Hernandez had forfeited his right to appeal by taking his own life, saying no one can ever know for sure why Hernandez killed himself.

Following Garsh's ruling, Thompson told reporters he still has doubts about whether Hernandez did kill himself. He also raised a question about the official manner of death during Tuesday's court hearing.

Thompson said he had recent correspondence from Hernandez in which he said he was interested in pursuing an appeal. The attorney also said because Hernandez died in prison, it will be difficult to definitively determine how he died.

Hernandez died five days after being acquitted in a separate double slaying in 2012. The lead attorney in the double murder trial, Jose Baez, has pledged to do an independent investigation into Hernandez's death.

State police said in an investigative report that Hernandez was found naked on April 19 and hanging from a bed sheet tied around the window bars of his cell. Correction officers found that cardboard had been shoved into the tracks of Hernandez's cell door to prevent the door from opening. Hernandez also had put shampoo on the floor to make it slippery, the report states.

An autopsy performed by the state medical examiner's office determined the cause of Hernandez's death was asphyxia by hanging and the manner of death was suicide.

Hernandez, who grew up in Bristol, Connecticut, and played football at Florida, was considered an up-and-coming star during his three seasons with the Patriots. He was cut from the team hours after his arrest in the killing of Lloyd.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...der-conviction

You have to wonder if Hernandez killed himself so his girlfriend and his daughter would get the six million from the NFL. If the Patriots have to pay out I wouldn't be surprised if Odin's family files a civil lawsuit.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

One of the suicide notes (allegedly) stated to his gf that "you are rich now". Patriots are unlikely to have to pay out because the firearms conviction stands and it predates the entire contract.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread Information