Thread: Donnie Lee Abernathy - Alabama Death Row

Donnie Lee Abernathy - Alabama Death Row

Victims in Cherokee County triple homicide identified

By William Thornton
    AL.com

Cherokee County officials have released the names of the three people killed in an early morning homicide this morning in a remote area north of Centre.

Coroner Jeremy Deaton said the victims were Sylvia Sue Duffe, 71, Clara Lee Edwards, 68, and Pamela Collette O'Shel, 49, all of Centre.

Donnie Lee Abernathy, 38, of Centre, has been booked into the Cherokee County Detention Center on charges of capital murder during kidnapping, first degree kidnapping, first degree criminal mischief and attempting to elude police. He is being held without bond.

The murders took place about 12:30 a.m. in the Round Mountain community off Weiss Lake on County Road 664. The home is at the end of a winding dirt road within sight of the water.

Cherokee County Sheriff Jeff Shaver said a woman has been hospitalized following the incident, which Shaver said was a "domestic situation." The woman was treated and released.

Shaver said Abernathy attempted to flee the scene with a woman he abducted when he was met on the road by authorities. He struck a deputy's vehicle, triggering a pursuit, which ended when Abernathy wrecked in Sand Rock.

http://www.al.com/news/anniston-gads...rt_river_index
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

October 24, 2018

Alabama murder trial postponed for 5th time

By Charlotte Underwood
    The Winterset Madisonian

The man accused of killing three Madison County women in Alabama in November of 2015 has had his trial postponed for the fifth time.

Accused killer Donnie Lee Abernathy had a jury trial set for March of this year. That court date got continued and set for this fall, after his court-appointed attorneys requested both more time and additional funds to mount a defense. Abernathy was scheduled to appear in Cherokee County Court on Oct. 29, with Judge Randall Cole presiding.

According to court officials, the defense had been under instruction to either have a plea agreement ready by that date or to have the case ready to go to jury trial. That has changed once again and Abernathy’s new court date is set for May of 2019. Judge Cole is set to retire in January of 2019. According to court officials, another circuit court judge will most likely have to step up and take on the case. Alabama District Attorney Mike O’Dell is in charge of prosecuting the case.

Abernathy is charged with three counts of capital murder under Alabama law, along with other charges, including kidnapping.

Charges relate to the shooting deaths of Clara Lee Edwards, 68; her sister, Sylvia Sue Duff, 71; and Edwards’ daughter, Pamala Collette Oshel, 49. They were slain in a home near Round Mountain, Ala., on Nov. 16, 2015.

Cherokee County Sheriff Jeff Shaver said the triple homicide case centered around a domestic violence and child custody issues involving 38-year-old Donnie Lee Abernathy of Centre, Ala., and one of the victims, who was kidnapped at the scene. Abernathy was arrested after a brief car chase when he crashed.

Abernathy is still being held at the Cherokee County Detention Center without bond on the three counts of capital murder.

Bond had been set on Abernathy’s other charges of first-degree kidnapping, first-degree criminal mischief, and attempting to elude law enforcement officials. The combined bond is $525,000.

https://www.wintersetmadisonian.com/...004fd3696.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Donnie Lee Abernathy Sentenced to Death by Lethal Injection

By Marc Summers
    WELS Radio

A Centre man has been sentenced to death, in connection with slayings that occurred back in November of 2015 here in Cherokee County.

Donnie Lee Abernathy has been sentenced to death by lethal injection with the order being handed down Monday (November 29th) by Ninth Judicial Circuit Judge Andrew J. Hairston.

That was District Attorney Mike O’Dell from a conversation WEIS Radio had with him just over a month ago following Abernathy’s conviction.

He went on to say Hamilton informed investigators that Abernathy entered the home on County Road 664 in an isolated area of the Round Mountain community, where he shot the victims before forcing her into his car and fleeing the scene.

Law Enforcement was able to take Abernathy into custody, after he lost control of the car and crashed.

The death sentence comes from the two counts of Capital Murder that Abernathy was facing. The date of execution will be set by the Alabama Supreme Court. Additionally Abernathy was given time for convictions on three other charges: Attempted Murder, Attempting to Elude and Criminal Mischief 1st Degree.

We’ll continue to follow the case and will also announce when the execution date has been set.

https://www.weisradio.com/donnie-lee...hal-injection/

Oh my gosh, this came out of the blue.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Yeah I’ve never even heard of this guy, which is strange considering my dad and his family are from Cherokee County, Alabama. My paternal grandparents are buried there.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Abernathy is at Cherokee County Jail awaiting transition to Alabama death row at Holman 12/2/21.

http://www.doc.state.al.us/DeathRow
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Abernathy entered Alabama’s death row on December 3, 2021.

http://www.doc.state.al.us/InmateHistory
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 02-18-2022 at 12:24 AM.

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Look at the new photo from Hollman at the top. He has really greyed in five years.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Oral arguments in Abernathy’s direct appeal are scheduled for January 30, 2024.

https://publicportal.alappeals.gov/p...e-3304199afb9e

Thread Information