Thread: Serial Killer Salvatore Perrone Sentenced in 2012 NY Slayings

Serial Killer Salvatore Perrone Sentenced in 2012 NY Slayings

Accused serial killer “Son of Sal” can represent self at trial

Accused serial killer and oddball apparel salesman Salvatore Perrone added another title Monday: defense attorney.

Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Alan Marrus agreed to the defendant's request even after strongly urging the 64-year-old loner to not represent himself at trial and telling him, "You are very confused when it comes to attorney issues."

Perrone, wearing a crumpled oversized shirt tucked into velvety brown sweatpants, seemed confused about other matters.

He said he's charged with six murders and facing the death penalty, when he's actually facing life without parole for allegedly killing three Middle Eastern men in July, August and November of 2012. He was arrested shortly after the third murder.

In statements to cops, he said he's been working for "the Palestinian section of the CIA."

The Staten Island man, nicknamed Son of Sal by his neighbors, also claimed that a surveillance video from a subway station will exonerate him, declaring, "You got the wrong guy here. The videos will speak for themselves."

But prosecutor Melissa Carvajal countered that the defendant is confused about that as well, basing his alibi on the time the last body was found, not the time of the murder. She added there are no cameras at the subway entrance Perrone referenced.

There are 127 actual surveillance video and nearly 1,000 police reports, Carvajal said. The voluminous evidence, along with the pro se psycho at the defense table, means that a trial is still many months away and the judge's patience will likely be tested to the limit.

After much back and forth with Perrone, Marrus allowed defense lawyer William Martin to be fired by the alleged killer.

"I officially relieve you from representing the defendant," the judge told him. "Try not to smile."

Martin indeed looked relieved when he left the courtroom.

"As you can see, reality is a problem in this case for Mr. Perrone," Martin said. "There's an adage that says, 'a defendant who represents himself has a fool for a client.'"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...#ixzz2Znvb3Agn
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Accused killer Salvatore Perrone's turn as lawyer "singularly ineffective," judge scolds

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The Staten Island man accused of killing three Brooklyn shopkeepers two years ago, isn’t doing very well acting as his own lawyer, a justice told him.

Brooklyn state Supreme Court Justice Alan Marrus told Salvatore Perrone his courtroom handiwork is “singularly ineffective,” according to a report in the New York Post.

Perrone had handed the judge a witness list with 49 people listed as John or Jane Doe, the Post said.

Marrus made his remarks during a pretrial proceeding on Friday. A trial date has not been set.

Perrone, 65, a garment salesman from Sunnyside, is accused of slaying three victims in their stores over a four-month period in 2012.

Perrone, dubbed “Son of Sal” by his neighbors because of his odd ways, systematically shot the victims to death with a sawed-off rifle as they worked alone, allege authorities.

An NYPD source close to the investigation said Perrone told detectives he gunned down the victims to “promote world peace.”

Court documents said he told cops he was a CIA operative paid by Arab men to kill Jews, said published reports.

Perrone previously underwent a court-ordered psychiatric exam.

That evaluation was ordered in December 2012 after Perrone denied that court-appointed lawyer William T. Martin was representing him.

Martin said then he requested the test to determine the defendant’s competence to stand trial.

Martin told the Advance on Monday he hasn’t represented Perrone “for a while.”

The court appointed another attorney to represent Perrone after he left the case, but the defendant is apparently representing himself now, said Martin.

During his latest court appearance, Perrone ranted that prosecutors hadn’t provided requested pretrial documents and yelled, “Give it to me!” at the judge, according to the Post.

Authorities allege Perrone killed his first victim on July 6, 2012.

Mohamed Gebeli, 65, an Egyptian immigrant and a Muslim, was found shot in the back of his shop, Valentino Fashion Inc., in Bay Ridge. Less than a month later, on Aug. 2, Isaac Kadare, 59, also Egyptian but Jewish, was shot in the head in his store, Amazing 99-Cent and Up Deals, on 86th Street in Bensonhurst, said authorities.

The final slaying happened three month later on Nov. 16, when Rahmatollah Vahidipour, a Jewish man from Iran, was shot three times in the head and chest at his store, the She-She Boutique, in Flatbush, officials said.

Ballistic reports conclude the victims were slain with the same .22-caliber semiautomatic rifle, prosecutors said. Police lifted one of Perrone’s fingerprints from the weapon, said police.

Perrone sells clothes for a living, working as what’s called a “jobber,” according to a police source. Jobbers typically buy fabrics from textile mills, and clothing from manufacturers, and sell them to stores, smaller manufacturers and designers.

Perrone who is divorced, owns a dilapidated home at 1173 Clove Rd., a longtime sore spot with neighbors.

Residents said Perrone was derisively labeled “Son of Sal,” a reference to David Berkowitz, the infamous “Son of Sam” murderer of more than 35 years ago who claimed a demon in possession of his neighbor’s dog had commanded him to kill.

Perrone was almost universally loathed, yelling at and berating people and acting erratically, said neighbors.

http://www.silive.com/northshore/ind...killer_sa.html

Accused serial killer ‘Son of Sal’ is clueless on routine legal matters while acting as his own lawyer: judge

Salvatore Perrone, aka “Son of Sal,” is having trouble while acting as his own lawyer in his upcoming murder trial, a Brooklyn judge said Thursday.

As the trial of an accused serial killer who’s acting as his own lawyer gets closer, the defendant’s cluelessness in legal matters is becoming ever more glaring.

A veteran Brooklyn judge Thursday chided Salvatore Perrone, 65, for his apparent inability to effectively defend himself against charges that he killed three Middle Eastern shopkeepers in separate shootings in 2012.

“You really don’t know what you’re doing,” said Supreme Court Justice Alan Marrus. “You’re in way over your head.”

A murder trial is scheduled to begin next month, but how smoothly it’ll be conducted remains a big question.

Perrone spent long minutes during the pre-trial hearing complaining about his court-appointed legal advisor, claiming he has yet to receive discovery documents and griping about being unable to view surveillance evidence in jail.

While most of these issues have been addressed, his biggest problem seems to be lack of legal know-how.

When the judge scheduled a Huntley Hearing — a routine proceeding to examine the legality of statements the defendant allegedly made to police, Perrone asked: “What’s a Huntley hearing?”

Perrone continued to ask routine legal questions at his latest hearing.

And after Marrus and prosecutor Melissa Carvajal finished a discussion about what’s known as Rosario material, or prior statements by witnesses that must be turned over to the defense, the judge remarked: “I don’t know that Mr. Perrone even knows what we’re talking about, but there’s nothing I can do about that.”

Marrus again urged Perrone to get his own lawyer and got a cryptic reply that one might show up at some point and that an unknown entity “will take care of that” financially.

In the meantime, the defendant asked that his legal advisor — an attorney he referred to as “a dirty liar” — won’t have any contact with him.

The Staten Island loner, dubbed “Son of Sal” by his neighbors, is facing life without parole if convicted.

Prosecutors said that DNA and other evidence connects him to the homicides and that they’ve turned over thousands of documents and scores of DVDs.

“There’s a voluminous amount of material you have no grasp of,” the judge told him.

http://newsnyork.com/accused-serial-...-lawyer-judge/

Senior Member CnCP Legend JimKay's Avatar
    Accused serial killer ‘Son of Sal’ found unfit for trial after psychiatrist calls him a ‘delusional paranoid’

Salvatore Perrone, 65, is accused of killing three shopkeepers and will now be under round-the-clock observation at a state psych ward.

BY Oren Yaniv
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Son of Sal is now officially insane.

The trial of accused serial killer Salvatore Perrone was put on an indefinite hold Friday after a psychiatrist found him to be a delusional paranoid.

The conclusion came after the Staten Island loner — charged with killing three Brooklyn shopkeepers in 2012 — had spent the past two years acting as his own lawyer while displaying irrational and erratic behavior.

A mental exam found that Perrone’s “ambivalence towards defense assistance, his paranoia regarding court personnel and his rigid, repetitive manner of thinking all point to the presence of a psychiatric disorder,” said Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Alan Marrus.

The shrink found a “diagnosis of either delusional disorder or a paranoid personality disorder.”

The 65-year-old defendant, whose trial was planned for early next year, will now be under around-the-clock observation at a state psych ward to further assess his condition.

He was found fit to proceed in early 2013, even after allegedly telling detectives he’d committed the homicides under orders from “the Palestinian section of the CIA.”

Since then, he insisted of proceeding pro se, incessantly complained about not getting discovery documents, submitted a witness list consisting mostly of different variations of “John Doe,” spoke about a litany of lawyers who visited him in jail and always wore the same clothes.

Frustrated family members of the victims left the courtroom shaking their hands.

“From the beginning, he basically used every reason to get attention, to play the game, to get off the hook,” said Rabbi Uziel Admoni, speaking on behalf of relatives of the second shooting victim, Isaac Kadare.

Perrone, dubbed “Son of Sal” by his neighbors, was not present in court.

The apparel salesman is charged with using a shotgun to kill the Middle Eastern merchants on three different occasions over a five-month period.

Howard Kirsch, who served as his legal advisor even as the defendant refused to see him, was appointed his lawyer in light of the mental diagnosis.

“He’s impossible to talk to,” the lawyer said outside court. “The psychiatrist thinks he’s a lunatic - that’s my technical term.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2043191

Accused serial killer flirted with me hours before taking final victim

A man on trial for a murder spree that took the lives of three Brooklyn shopkeepers of Middle Eastern descent flirted with a Flatbush dress designer just hours before the final killing nearby, the woman testified on Monday.

Clothing designer Gail Lynch told Brooklyn jurors that Salvatore “Son of Sal” Perrone waved and smiled at her through the front window of her store at around 6 p.m. on Nov. 16, 2012, the same evening fellow merchant Ramatollah Vahidipour was found dead down the block.

Lynch said Perrone was peering into her window, carrying a large black duffel bag when she looked up and they locked eyes. Prosecutors have repeatedly called the duffel bag Perrone’s “kill kit.”

“Automatically, our eyes made connection. We both saw each other,” she said, not looking at the defendant.

Perrone waved, she testified, and mouthed that he’d “be back.”

An hour later, he reappeared in her store asking for a “garment” he could take and show someone, Lynch told jurors.

“I told him I don’t do business like that. He said OK, and he saw that I was busy and he was going to come back another day,” she said.

Defense attorney Howard Kirsch asked, “When he came into your store, he had his bag with him?”

“That is correct,” Lynch replied.

“Did he open it up to show you samples?” Kirsch asked.

“No,” she answered.

The next time she saw Perrone was on the TV news when his picture was shown in connection with the murder.

Various elements of the ‘kill kit” were entered into evidence Monday, including five screwdrivers, two switchblades, a bloody eight- inch serrated knife, three ladies’ blouses, some shredded stockings and a loaded, sawed-off rifle.

Prosecutors say Perrone used the .22-caliber Ruger rifle — which had a flashlight affixed to the barrel with tape and rubber bands — to shoot all three victims in the head. They charge he also slit the throat of his second victim with the knife.

The bag also contained latex gloves, a magnifying glass, wirecutters, pliers, a bottle of bleach, ammunition and a bloody handkerchief, NYPD Detective Mark Beelitz told jurors.

In court, Perrone demanded to inspect and record the serial number of each item. He even had Kirsch don gloves and bring over the black duffel, prodding at it with his pencil and grumbling.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/02/accused...-final-victim/

Judge in alleged ‘Son of Sal’ serial killer’s case tells suspect to knock off outbursts: ‘Your life is on the line’

Alleged “Son of Sal” serial killer Salvatore Perrone had yet another bizarre outburst in court Tuesday — leading the judge presiding over his triple murder trial to warn him to shut up or get shut out.

“This is your trial...Your life is on the line,” Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Alan Marrus told Perrone, who interrupted testimony to protest evidence presented by the prosecution in the case.

“You’re not allowed to speak out,” Marrus told him. “If you can’t keep quiet I’m going to have to have you removed.”

Marrus quickly dismissed the jury and witness, Det. Elizabeth Cutrone, when Perrone could not control his temper.

“Can you present this?” the alleged killer yelled, shaking a stack of papers at his lawyer, Howard Kirsch.

“I’m not going to be the scapegoat in this case! I feel bad for the families...but this is a fabricated document,” he added, referring to a search warrant Cutrone processed for the apartment of his ex-girlfriend, Nataha Charova, where Perrone lived at the time of the 2012 murders.

Inside that apartment was what prosecutors said was Perrone’s “kill kit” — a duffle bag loaded with a rifle, ammo, knives and gloves.

“They’re distorting the trial! We’re presenting half-truths!,” he shouted, as woman in the courtroom muttered, “Killer.”

Perrone, 66, is accused of slaying three Middle Eastern shopkeepers, Isaac Kadare, 59, Mohammed Gebeli, 65, and Rahmatollah Vahidipour, 78. Perrone, who suffers from “severe personality and delusional disorder,” faces 75 years to life in prison if convicted.

Perrone had other outbursts earlier in the case that led to him missing much of jury selection.

Yasmin Vahidipour, the daughter of Rahmatollah Vahidipour, who sat in the audience Tuesday, said she is detached from Perrone’s courtroom drama.

“His outbursts are nonsense,” she said. “Whatever he does is meaningless. I don’t even consider what he’s saying. For me, he doesn’t even exist. I already feel he is convicted.”

http://businessnewsusa.org/new-york/...icle-1.2517692

Accused ‘Son of Sal’ serial killer takes the stand in his own defense with long-winded, contradictory testimony

It’s the story the alleged “Son of Sal” serial killer said he’s waited three years to tell— and it didn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Salvatore Perrone took the stand in his own defense in his triple murder trial at Brooklyn Supreme Court Tuesday, but repeatedly contradicted himself on whether a bag prosecutors said was “a kill kit” was actually his.

"I've waited for this moment for three years ... I want everyone to know the truth," Perrone, 67, told the jury, insisting he never shot three Middle Eastern shopkeepers in 2012. "I was set up."

Perrone said he doesn't deny surveillance video shows him toting a black duffel bag in the vicinity of the Brooklyn murders.

But the former salesman swore under oath he swapped bags with an Iranian business associate by the name of Michael Bila only to learn later the bag he said Bila gave him contained the murder weapons: his own rifle and a serrated knife.

"He gave me a duffel bag," Perrone, 67, said during questioning from defense attorney Howard Kirsch. "I put the duffel bag down. I never looked at that bag," he added, noting he did not bother to unzip the luggage.

Attorneys could not track down a man by the name of Michael Bila, Kirsch said.

Perrone's long-winded and winding explanation of why the blood-spattered bag did not belong to him continued during questioning from prosecutor Melissa Carvajal.

"Yeah, that's one of my bags," Perrone said, pointing to the black leather luggage on the prosecutor's table. "But the duffel bag that I had in the apartment ... was not that duffel bag."

"I did own that duffel bag, of course I own that duffel bag," he added. "I own four to five different bags. Every person in the apparel business has a duffel bag."

Perrone, who suffers from "severe personality and delusional disorder," is accused of killing Isaac Kadare, 59, Mohammed Gebeli, 65, and Rahmatollah Vahidipour, 78.

Perrone said he couldn't possibly have committed Gebeli's murder on Friday July 6, 2012, because he was eating dinner in the basement of his friend Louis Bosquino's garment shop, as he does every Friday night.

"We have a whole gathering of friends," he said. "We're just a bunch of guys ... every Friday night we would get together ... I think they (still meet.) I don't know, I'm in jail."

Carvajal asked him repeatedly why Perrone never bothered to ask Bosquino to testify.

"You're on trial for three murders. You never bothered to call the one man (who can give you) an alibi? Did you make any attempts to get him here?" she said.

Perrone did not answer the question.

Instead, he went on about his list of 65 witnesses that he handed in on Monday that weren't permitted to speak.

Many of the people named were "John Doe." Kirsch could not confirm Bosquino even exists. At one point during the two-hour testimony, an agitated Perrone went on a tangent about how cops "tortured" him after his arrest.

“They beat me for three days," Perrone yelled, facing the jurors. "With the seriousness of what happened I could understand, but they crossed the line," he claimed. Perrone faces 75 years to life in prison if convicted.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2525934

'Son Of Sal' Convicted Of Killing New York Shopkeepers

A New York clothing salesman known as the "Son of Sal" serial killer was convicted on Wednesday of three counts of second-degree murder in the 2012 shooting deaths of three shopkeepers in Brooklyn, prosecutors said.

Salvatore Perrone, 67, faces a maximum prison sentence of 75 years to life for the killings of Mohamed Gebeli, 65, Isaac Kadare, 59, and Rahmatollah Vahidipour, 78, who were shot from July to November 2012.

Perrone has maintained he was framed by a business associate. His attorney could not immediately be reached for comment.

Perrone was arrested the month of the final shooting when a witness matched his likeness to a security camera image circulated to the public by police.

On arresting Perrone, police said a .22-caliber rifle was recovered in a duffel bag belonging to him at his girlfriend's apartment, and that ballistic tests found shell casings retrieved from the three crime scenes were fired from the same rifle.

Perrone's fingerprint was found on the weapon, and he made statements implicating himself, police said.

Each shooting occurred near closing time when the victims were alone in their shops.

The heads of all the victims "were covered by either cardboard or clothing" when they were discovered, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

Perrone, who worked as an independent seller of apparel, was known to neighbors of his dilapidated three-story Staten Island home as an eccentric with a combative personality.

He was dubbed "Son of Sal" by neighbors, presumably after serial killer David Berkowitz, who went by "Son of Sam," and was convicted of murdering six people in the 1970s, according to local media.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b40245c56499

Serial killer salesman Salvatore Perrone gets 75 years to life in Brooklyn murders

A salesman from Staten Island will spend the rest of his life in prison after killing three Brooklyn shopkeepers in 2012.

Brooklyn Supreme Court Judge Alan Marrus gave Salvatore Perrone, 67, the maximum sentence of 75 years to life in prison on three counts of second-degree murder, Brooklyn D.A. Ken Thompson announced Friday.

On July 6, Perrone walked into Valentino Fashion at 7718 Fifth Avenue in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and shot Mohamed Gebeli, 65, once in the neck, killing him.

A little over a month later, Perrone executed 59-year-old Isaac Kadare inside his Amazing 99 Cent Deals store at 1877 86th Street in Bensonhurst by shooting him once in the head and slitting his throat.

Finally, on November 16, Perrone murdered 78-year-old Rahmatollah Vahidipour by shooting him in the head, face and chest, inside Vahidipour’s She-She Boutique at 834 Flatbush Avenue.

All three killings happened just before closing time, and the victims’ bodies were found hidden under piles of clothing and other items.

District Attorney Thompson said, “It’s hard to think of anyone who deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison more than this cold-blooded and unrepentant serial killer. He murdered three innocent, honest and hard-working business owners and then spent years acting up in court to delay the fate he received today. I hope his life sentence will bring some comfort to the victims’ families who have suffered so much loss and grief.”

Detectives broke the case after publicly releasing surveillance video of Perrone carrying a black duffle bag near the scene of the last murder. After searching his girlfriend’s home, investigators uncovered the .22-caliber rifle registered to Perrone that was used in all three murders, according to ballistics evidence. DNA taken from a knife also found inside the bag belonged to one of the victims. Perrone’s cellphone data linking him to two of the three scenes further convinced the jury of his guilt.

http://pix11.com/2016/03/04/serial-k...klyn-murders/#

Thread Information