Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Capital Punishment Discussion

So how many US states actually have the death penalty & how many don't? For the record I'm in the UK, we don't have the death penalty, I think we should have it & so do most (not all) people I know, my fiance is pro & my mother is anti.

32 states plus the Federal gov't and US Military have the DP while 18 states don't.

I agree we should ALL have it! We'll get rid of it when killers stop killing!

GIF Shows How Many People America Has Executed Since 1977

The Pew Research Center, sourcing the Death Penalty Information Center, has released a GIF illustrating executions in the United States from 1977 to 2014.

Texas far and away topped the nation in the number of executions in the country. According to Amnesty International, 40% of all executions in the U.S. in 2013 took place in Texas.

According to a Pew Research Center survey, 55% of U.S. adults still support the death penalty while 37% of adults oppose the practice.

Since 1996 there has been a marked decrease of support for the death penalty. Still, according to Amnesty International, the U.S. executes the fifth-highest number of people in the world.

China, according to the Amnesty International report, executed more people in 2013 than all other countries in the world combined.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gif-i...#ixzz2xMCwpC2D
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Cool graphic Heidi!

People should keep in mind the U.S. has the highest or among the highest murder rate in the developed world hence our need for a lot prisons and executions!

Weidmann1939
    Here we go again:

The last Gallop poll numbers were 55% support 35% oppose with % 5 don't know, can't tell, not sure or no opinion. + or - the margin of error

Now The Pew poll has it as: 55% support 37% oppose with 8% don't know, can't tell, not sure, no opinion. + or- the margin of error.

There is a pattern here!

I don't care about the poll findings. I just thought the GIF was cool.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Weidmann1939
    I like the GIF myself. I was just commenting on the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Weidmann1939 View Post
    Here we go again:

The last Gallop poll numbers were 55% support 35% oppose with % 5 don't know, can't tell, not sure or no opinion. + or - the margin of error

Now The Pew poll has it as: 55% support 37% oppose with 8% don't know, can't tell, not sure, no opinion. + or- the margin of error.
    There is a pattern here!
    If it happens to your loved one support is near 100%!

The New York Times has posted a "debate" on the future of capital punishment in the United States. Two of the six participants are actually in favor of the death penalty. One of the antis is, naturally, Richard Dieter of the DPIC.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...p&rref=opinion

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    The Death Penalty "Information" Centre would get more respect from me if they weren't so dishonest. They present themselves are an information source when they are in fact nothing more than an advocacy group. At least Amnesty, The ACLU and the like are honest that they want to abolish the death penalty. The DP"I"C put themselves across as a research group headed by a professor instead.

Much of the DP"I"Cs information is misleading, possibly deliberately so, like their innocent prisoners released on death row, most of whom were released on legal technicalities. Same with their executed but possibly innocent list, inclusion on the list appears to be based on the person claiming to be innocent and often little more of substance, even though the DP"I"C happily refutes the claim that Larry Griffin was innocent with the exhaustive report from the Missouri AG (unlike their prior claims about Roger Coleman, which they swept under the carpet). On that basis there are maybe 50 or so persons who were "executed but possibly innocent", but maybe they've realised that people would start reading more deeply into the individual cases if the claim was made that 5% of all executions were wrongful. It's madness that people use this list to claim that certain people on it (notably Cameron Todd Willingham, Carlos DeLuna and Ruben Cantu) were "probably innocent" when the DP"I"C only makes the "possibly" claim.

Other issues they raise are also nothing to do with the death penalty, any racial bias for instance in sentencing would exist with any other punishment.

The 2% of counties claims is accounting for half of all of executions is an erroneous claim as well. How many counties are there in the US? Wikipedia says 3144. Since there have been less than 2000 executions since 1976 it's impossible to draw any conclusions about statistical significance, since there is nowhere near enough statistical power in the number of executions. And even so, I'm not surprised that the death penalty is unevenly distributed, I've recently moved from a delightful suburb where I can happily keep my front door open to a perfectly pleasant but nowhere near as safe area where there are a couple of murders in the town every year. And that's moving from 2 towns in the London perimeter, in the US where states murder rates vary from lower than the UK's (New Hampshire) to as high as some developing countries (Louisiana) it's not surprising the same thing happens nationwide, and I'd imaging when counties are compared the extremes are amplified.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information