Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: James Edward, Jr. and Chancey Luna Charged as Adults in 2013 OK Slaying of Christopher Lane

I can not find this allegation in US MSM but Fairfax Media seems to be a reliable source.

Chris Lane shooting a gang initiation, says father who called police

Chris Lane was murdered as a part of a gang initiation, according to James Johnson, the father of a boy who was also allegedly targeted by the three youths accused of killing Mr Lane.

Police have not commented on the claim, though court documents confirm the accused were eventually arrested in front of the boy's home.

In their car, police say they found a shotgun and the .22-calibre revolver they believe was used to kill Mr Lane, and a cache of ammunition.
    Advertisement

Mr Johnson told Fairfax Media that the three youths had been trying to recruit his 17-year-old son, Chris, into a gang, and that Chris had refused.

On Friday afternoon, two hours after Mr Lane's murder, Mr Johnson was working on his truck in the Immanuel Church car park opposite the home where Chris lives with his mother, Sheila Haynes.

From inside the home, Chris rang Mr Johnson and said he had received a death threat from the accused boys, who he knew from school, via Facebook. As he put his mobile phone away, Mr Johnson saw the three youths, whom he has known all their lives, in a black car in the middle of the car park.

Mr Johnson was unaware of the earlier shooting, or that police were already scouring the town for the car after it had been described at the scene of the earlier shooting.

According to Mr Johnson, one of the boys, James Edwards, got out of the car and appeared to either stretch or reach down for something. Pretending to still be on the phone to Chris, Mr Johnson called police, who were on the scene within minutes.

Court documents filed by police confirm that Mr Johnson called police to tell them three armed youths were in front of the home at 7.05pm, some four hours after Mr Lane was shot dead, and that officers were dispatched to the car park where they arrested the three accused.

But the documents also show that police found ammunition for a .22-calibre revolver like the one they allege was used to kill Mr Lane was by then hidden in the car's air intake, while a second weapon, a shotgun, was disassembled.

"I don't think it was an initiation – I know it was an initiation, my son told me it was an initiation," Mr Johnson told Fairfax Media.

Since the murder and the arrests, Mr Johnson has sent Chris away for safety to a youth program.

If Mr Johnson is correct, the revelation could go some way to providing a motive for the killing. Duncan residents — and people around the world — have struggled to accept that the youths would have committed the murder out of boredom, as one of the accused has told police.

"I just thank God I was there, and that Chris was not outside, they could have just driven past and shot him, I don't even like to contemplate that," Mr Johnson said.

"To be quite honest, if they were smarter, they could have come up behind me and shot me in the head."

He described the three youths - James Edwards, Michael Jones and the accused shooter, Chancey Luna - as good boys who had gone off the rails.

"They don't have proper fathers in their lives. You can't be a friend to your son, you got to be the father," he said.

"I feel very sorry for them, they have ruined their whole lives, but they did the crime, they have to do the time. Perhaps they can make a life inside, get God in their lives," he said.

"That Edwards was some talent, wrestling, football, he was an athlete. Satan has taken a lot of lives here."

He said a gang operating in nearby cities, such as Oklahoma City and Dallas, has been recruiting in Duncan. He said he believed the gang was responsible for the theft of guns in the area.

Sheila Haynes, who has three children with Mr Johnson, was not at home during the incident, which occurred on her birthday. Chris was at home with their youngest daughter, Shanelle, who is 15.

"I am just thankful that I did not have to lose a son on my birthday," she said. "But I am so sad that someone else did."

Asked if Chris had been scared by the incident, she said: "Well, if he is, he is not going to tell me, as his mom.

"He just said to me, 'Mom if it is my time, it is my time'."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/chris-la...#ixzz2cmsDPLaa
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Legend JimKay's Avatar
    Al Sharpton on Chris Lane Killing: ‘Nothing to Protest’ Because It Wasn’t ‘Racial’ and ‘System Worked’

Oklahoma DA: “Absolutely not, no way” would tougher gun laws prevented ‘thrill kill’ of baseball player

The shooting death of 22-year-old Christopher Lane is about as sad and tragic as it gets.

Lane, a native of Melbourne, Australia, who was attending East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma, on a baseball scholarship, was jogging down a tree-lined street in Duncan, Oklahoma, where his girlfriend lived, when three thugs pulled up along side him in a car and gunned him down in cold blood.

Their motive for killing Lane? Boredom, or so it appears based on statements from at least one police official.

“They saw Christopher go by, and one of them said: ‘There’s our target,’ Police Chief Dan Ford said at a press conference. “The boy who has talked to us said, ‘We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.’”

While police and the District Attorney’s office have not ruled out other possibilities as far as motives are concerned, all signs suggest that this was a “thrill killing” or a senseless act of violence in the most literal sense.

Details are still emerging, but arrests have been made. James Francis Edwards Jr., 15, and Chancey Allen Luna, 16, are being charged with first degree murder. It is believed that Luna fatally shot Lane from the backseat.

The third culprit, the driver, Michael Dewayne Jones, 17, is being charged with an accessory to murder and use of a vehicle while discharging a weapon.

In the aftermath of a tragedy like this one it’s human nature to question how the untimely death of this young man could have been prevented. One postulation that will indubitably crop up is the idea that tougher gun control laws would have made a difference.

Well, is there any truth to this claim?

“Absolutely not, no way,” said Stephens County District Attorney Jason Hicks, the lead prosecutor on the case.

“We’ve got statutes right now that prohibit those three from having a firearm. They’re not legally entitled to have a .22-caliber revolver in the first place. You can give me another five, ten, hundred, a thousand laws. It’s not going to stop them,” the district attorney told The Oklahoman.

“They’re criminals for a reason,” he continued. “It’s because they … don’t follow the laws that are there.”

Under Oklahoma law it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to possess a revolver, which is believed to be the murder weapon.

However, minors can have a rifle or shotgun under certain limited circumstances, “for participation in hunting animals or fowl, hunter safety classes, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting event,” as The Oklahoman noted.

Clearly, these exceptions don’t apply to these mindless murderers not only because they used a revolver and not a long gun, but because they are the antithesis of a responsible gun owner.

As for how they obtained the handgun, authorities are still looking for an answer but are concerned that they may never know for sure.

“I don’t know if we will ever be able to answer that question,” Hicks said.

Looking ahead, Hicks is going to seek the maximum sentence for each teen, that would include life in prison without the possibility of parole for the two charged with first degree murder.

“That’s as harsh as I can get. The Supreme Court back several years ago handed down a case that said you can’t seek death penalty in a case where you’ve got somebody under the age of 18 at the time of the commission of the crime,” he said. “Our hands are tied.”

When viewed through the eyes of gun control advocates, every gun-related homicide is a reason to pass tougher gun laws and regulations regardless of the circumstances of the case or the prevailing logic that when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Perhaps that is why it is so important for us to acknowledge what District Attorney Hicks has said. No gun control laws would have stopped these thugs from doing what they did. That’s the truth. But let us now hope that they get punished to the fullest extent of the law.

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/23/oklah...-player-video/

Junior Member Stranger babosula23's Avatar
    "That Edwards was some talent, wrestling, football, he was an athlete. Satan has taken a lot of lives here."

People dont kill people, Satan kills people.

Yes, by that logic, Lane's friends and families should be celebrating, because he's now in Heaven. (Video probably NSFW.)

Weidmann1939
    JimKay: I think your taking Babosula23's post just a tad too seriously. Keep in mind that one can follow any logic to a completely irrational conclusion.

Christopher Lane Murder Prompts Aussie Outrage, But Politician Gets His Facts Wrong

On Friday August 16, three Oklahoma teenagers stated they were “bored” and then decided to find someone to kill. Their victim was Christopher Lane, a 23-year-old Australian who was stateside on an athletic baseball scholarship. Lane was jogging and minding his own business when the three teens drove up behind him and fatally shot him in the back.

In the aftermath of the shooting, former Australian Deputy Prime Minister Tim Fischer stated, “It is another example of murder mayhem on Main Street. People thinking of going to the U.S.A. for business or tourist trips should think carefully about it, given the statistical fact that you are 15 times more likely to be shot dead in the U.S.A. than in Australia, per capita.” This chart from the Washington Post, using data from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, shows that the U.S. indeed has the highest rate of gun-related killings in the developed world.

There are two issues with Fischer's statement that need to be examined: The U.S. manufactures and harbors many more guns than Australia, and if you wish to boycott traveling to the U.S. due to violence, there are few places on Earth that can serve as adequate travel options. Human nature is the problem, not guns.

If more money is present, it is human nature to be more inclined to spend. If more alcohol is available, it is human nature to be more inclined to drink. If more stores exist in one location, it is human nature to be more inclined to shop (this is called a mall). If more joints are passed around, it is human nature to be more inclined to smoke. If more guns are present, more triggers are inclined to be pulled. According to this Business Insider article, there are over 80 guns per hundred civilians in the U.S. and the next highest number belongs to Yemen, at about 55 guns per hundred civilians. Are we really that surprised that the data tells us that a person is 15 times more likely to be killed by a gun in the U.S. than Australia, when guns are exponentially more prevalent?

Yes, the U.S. has a history of violence, but Australia is no stranger to this game. Deputy PM Fischer’s comments about Australia concerning gun violence should not be examined in a vacuum, because his country has massacred and discriminated against Aboriginal Australians for hundreds of years. Just last year, Australia was set to amend its constitution to outlaw discrimination and recognize the Aborigines as the first people of the continent.

If you wish to boycott the U.S. as a travel destination due to violence, do not make plans to travel to the World Cup in Brazil next summer. Brazilian citizens are rioting over government spending on the futebol tournament and being shot by police with rubber bullets. This country is building stadiums for the world stage at the expense of its people, who are in turn furious with the decision to spend money on a sport rather than support the country’s infrastructure. Mexico should be taken off the list as well, as it is constantly plagued by cartel-driven violence. Jamaica? Forget about it, mon. The Middle East? If you have been living under a rock for the past two years, ask Egypt how tourist numbers have been for the Pyramids in the last 24 months.

The bottom line is that human beings have been fighting with and killing each other with efficiency long before guns came on the scene. It is the one thing we are the best at: eliminating each other. Should we pretend that violence was not an issue during the days when the bow and arrow and the sword respectively had their chances to guide history? The weapons available have simply acted as a conduit, allowing human nature to come to fruition.

It does not matter where you travel. There will be blood.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/60...is-facts-wrong

DA Hicks: Lane murder will not be tried as hate crime; new 911 call released

A new 911 call has been released in the Chris Lane murder. we hear the call that led to the arrest of the three teens.

In the wake of this 911 call that was released Friday the caller, James Johnson, is saying he believes the killing of Chris Lane should be blamed on gang violence, not boredom. But, investigators aren't buying it.

Dispatch: "Duncan Police Department."
    Johnson: "Yes, I need to get a officer over to 111 West Ash. Some young kids over here with some guns."

This is the phone call James Johnson made to police after he says three teens, James Edwards Junior, Chancy Luna and Michael Jones were outside his home, threatening to harm his own son because he wouldn't join a gang.

"The guy from in the house told me he's supposed to have a gun and he got the texts that he threatened to kill him," Johnson told dispatch.

His call led to the arrest of the 15, 16 and 17 year olds.

Johnson tells other news outlets he did not know about the killing of Lane at the time of the call. Johnson says he believes Lane's killing wasn't just a random act, but a gang initiation.

The sister of one of the accused teens agrees.

"I believe that he may have joined in a gang because they promised him so much," Rachel Padilla said.

But Duncan Police Chief Danny Ford, and Stephens County District Attorney Jason Hicks said they have no evidence the teens belonged to a gang and there's no evidence of any gang activity in Stephens County.

Ford says James Edwards told investigators "We were bored and didn't have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody."

"The only way I can describe this is I'm appalled," Hicks said to the media Tuesday.

DA Jason Hicks says there's been criticism regarding the charges against the three men.

Edwards and Luna, have been charged as adults with first-degree murder. Jones is charged as being an accessory and using a vehicle in the discharge of a weapon.

Hicks released this statement:

"Questions have arisen regarding the offense not being prosecuted as a hate crime. At this point, the evidence does not support the theory that Christopher Lane was targeted based upon his race or nationality."

Hicks says he acknowledges social media postings allegedly made by some of the teens appear racial in nature but, "the evidence is insufficient to establish that race was the primary motive in the murder".

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...9797#post49797

Can you imagine being one of those kids? The rage, frustration and hopelessness? The System only picks them up after the violence is done, and then it has to invest a fortune maintaining them. Believing that some front-end investment would be a better approach isn't squishy liberalism, it's just rational pragmatism. Every decade, when we hit another economic speed bump, social programs are the first to go. Our incarceration rate is among the world's highest, despite our alleged economic and social superiority. There are no quick-and-easy solutions, but I'm not aware of any valid efforts to even look for solutions. We have a large and growing mass of dead-enders. Are we just going to suffer the occasional brutal murder and build more prisons, or try to steer them onto the right paths? For example, we give Egypt anywhere from $1.3-2 billion in military aid annually. To protect themselves from whom? Our ally Israel, to whom we give about $5 billion annually? That money goes right into the pockets of U.S. defense contractors, who are major political donors. Do the math. Egypt's safe from Israel, Israel's safe from Lebanon, but there are major areas of our own country where you and I would fear to tread, day or night. Does not compute.

Oklahoma Gov. Fallin: 'Would Be Nice' If Obama Sent Condolences to Slain Student's Family

Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin said Sunday that Australian college student Christopher Lane's death wasn't about gun control -- "it was about murder" -- and she believes it "would be nice" if President Barack Obama would express his condolences to Lane's family.

"I certainly am going to say something on behalf of the state of Oklahoma, to the family," the Republican governor told "Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace. "It would be nice if our nation were to certainly express their condolences, how very sorry we are."

Chancey Allen Luna, 16, James Francis Edwards Jr., 15, and Michael Dewayne Jones, 17. Prosecutors said they gunned down 22-year-old Christopher Lane in Duncan because they were "bored and just wanted to see somebody die."

After Lane's murder, Tim Fischer, the former deputy prime minister of Australia, advised tourists they should boycott the United States to make a statement about gun control, but Fallin denied gun control was at fault.

"It's an issue about murder," she said. "It's an issue about three young men who did something very terrible to a very innocent bystander, that was jogging through his community, and it's very unfortunate what has happened."

Fallin said she understands that Australians are upset because of the shooting, but "people in Oklahoma are very upset too," as are many in the United States," but the Obama administration should express its condolences. I certainly know that's what I'm going to do."

District Attorney Jason Hicks told Wallace that the investigation is revealing more about the suspects, especially 15-year-old James Edwards, who has put out social media posts that include videos of him playing with a gun and flashing gang sites, as well as tweeting a number of racist messages.

Hicks said, though, that he won't treat the murder as a hate crime because there is nothing "that would lead us to believe that Christopher Lane was killed simply because of his nationality, or because of his race."

In addition, Oklahoma's hate crime statute is a misdemeanor, pointed out Hicks, "and I believe that it's more important for us to focus on the death of Christopher Lane, than it is to focus on the hate."

Hicks, also said he doesn't know how he'll "ever be able to wrap my mind completely around the why or how three individuals could have such a callous attitude, and drive down the road, and pull the trigger, and take the life of somebody who's out for a jog. don't know that I'll ever be able to give an explanation as to why there."

Meanwhile, Hicks called the three teenaged shooters "thugs," saying that he doesn't think they're children, but have "decided to play an adult game, and it's taken the life of another human being."

If the shooters are convicted as adults, they face life in prison without parole, but not the death penalty because of their age.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/fal...#ixzz2d10fnsoM

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information