Thread: Gregory Aaron Kinsey Gets 70 Years in 2013 AR Machete Murders

Gregory Aaron Kinsey Gets 70 Years in 2013 AR Machete Murders

Brandon Prince, 39

Nathan Young, 32

Prosecutor to seek death penalty in machete slayings

An Arkansas prosecutor plans to seek the death penalty for a man accused of hacking two men to death with a machete.

Gregory Aaron Kinsey, 20, faces two counts of capital murder in the June 26 deaths of 39-year-old Brandon Prince and 32-year-old Nathan Young, both of Fort Smith.

Sebastian County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Shue filed a letter Thursday outlining his plans to seek the death penalty against Kinsey, the Times Record reported.

Shue said factors that led to his decision included sufficient evidence linking Kinsey to the crimes and the seriousness of the offense.

"After consulting with law enforcement and the victim's families and considering the above-listed factors, the state of Arkansas will be seeking the death penalty during the anticipated trial of this matter," Shue wrote.

A video of Kinsey's interview with police following his arrest showed he remained calm as he described becoming angry at Prince and Young during an oral confrontation, pulling out the machete to scare but not hurt the men, feeling that "they weren't going to let me go" and then swinging the machete at them.

When a detective told Kinsey he didn't believe he didn't intend to kill Prince and Young, Kinsey said, "I told you what happened," adding he acted out of pure instinct.

Kinsey told authorities he only carried the machete because the blade of his knife broke and he hadn't bought a new one yet.

Four machetes — not including the one that was recovered from his mother's home — two 10-inch buck knives and a stainless-steel hunting knife were recovered from Kinsey's apartment, according to a police report.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...ings/?f=latest
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Accused Machete Killer’s Murder Trial Set

A trial date has been set for the Fort Smith murder suspect accused of killing two men with a machete in June, according to the Sebastian County Circuit Clerk’s Office.

The murder trial of Gregory Aaron Kinsey, 20, is set for Feb. 10. Jury selection is scheduled for Feb. 6 and 7, according to the circuit clerk’s office.

Sebastian County Prosecutor Daniel Shue announced last month he would be seeking the death penalty in the case. Kinsey is accused of attacking and killing two men, Nathan Young and Brandon Prince, with a machete in Fort Smith on June 26. Kinsey is charged with two counts of capital murder.

In a letter to the circuit clerk’s office announcing his intentions, Shue states the sufficiency of the evidence linking the defendant to the offense, the seriousness of the offense, the defendant’s culpability, and the defendant’s criminal record as factors in why he feels the death penalty is appropriate.

According to court documents, Kinsey said he was walking back from the Dollar Store when he was confronted by three people. Kinsey and the victims exchanged words and Kinsey pulled out a machete to warn them, the documents state.

Kinsey told police he didn’t think the men would let him go so he started swinging the machete, striking and killing two of them.

“The death penalty is definitely what needs to be done,” said Pamela Hearne, whose son Prince, was killed in the attack. “He killed my son, he killed Nate, and it just kills me. I mean I don’t sleep at night.”

Prince and Young were with Maynard on June 26 during the attack. Maynard is the only survivor.

“I just try not to relive it,” Maynard said. “Nothing’s going to bring my friends back. So I mean I have rough nights and rough days. I just try to cope with it as best as I can.”

Maynard says he feels the death penalty is appropriate in this case.

“To have a massacre done like that to me, I really hope he does have justice served.”

5NEWS did reach out to Kinsey’s mother for reaction, but she declined to comment. The suspect is still being held at the Sebastian County Detention Center without bond.

http://5newsonline.com/2013/09/10/ac...der-trial-set/

Weapons seized from Kinsey’s home

Machete Murder Case Delayed Until November

The murder trial was delayed Monday for the Fort Smith murder suspect accused of slashing two men to death with a machete in June.

The murder trial of Gregory Aaron Kinsey, 20, was set to begin Feb. 10 in Sebastian County Circuit Court. Judge Steven Tabor granted the defense’s request for a delay in the case because Kinsey’s attorneys need more time to prepare, they told the judge Monday.

Kinsey’s trial was moved to Nov. 17, with jury selection set to take place Nov. 13 and 14.

County prosecutor Daniel Shue announced in August he would be seeking the death penalty in the case. Kinsey is accused of attacking and killing two men, Nathan Young and Brandon Prince, with a machete in Fort Smith on June 26. Kinsey is charged with two counts of capital murder.

He remains in the Sebastian County Detention Center without bond.

In a letter to the circuit clerk’s office announcing his intentions, Shue states the sufficiency of the evidence linking the defendant to the offense, the seriousness of the offense, the defendant’s culpability, and the defendant’s criminal record as factors in why he feels the death penalty is appropriate.

According to court documents, Kinsey said he was walking back from the Dollar Store when he was confronted by three people. Kinsey and the victims exchanged words and Kinsey pulled out a machete to warn them, the documents state.

Kinsey told police he didn’t think the men would let him go so he started swinging the machete, striking and killing two of them.

“The death penalty is definitely what needs to be done,” said Pamela Hearne, whose son Prince, was killed in the attack. “He killed my son, he killed Nate, and it just kills me. I mean I don’t sleep at night.”

Prince and Young were with Maynard on June 26 during the attack. Maynard is the only survivor.

“I just try not to relive it,” Maynard said. “Nothing’s going to bring my friends back. So I mean I have rough nights and rough days. I just try to cope with it as best as I can.”

Maynard says he feels the death penalty is appropriate in this case.

“To have a massacre done like that to me, I really hope he does have justice served.”

http://5newsonline.com/2013/10/21/ma...ntil-november/

Accused Machete Killer’s Trial Reset For Nov. 17

The murder trial for Gregory Aaron Kinsey, accused of killing two men in a machete attack last year in Fort Smith, has been scheduled to begin Nov. 17, according to court records.

The trail was set to begin Monday (Feb. 10) but was reset by order of Circuit Judge Stephen Tabor at the request of Kinsey’s defense lawyers.

Jury selection for the trail is set for Nov. 13-14, according to the judge’s order.

Kinsey is accused of attacking and killing Nathan Young and Brandon Prince with a machete on June 26. He is charged with two counts of capital murder.

Sebastian County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Shue has said he will seek the death penalty in the case.

http://5newsonline.com/2014/02/05/ki...hed-to-nov-17/

Prosecutor Seeks Exam In Machete Slaying Case; Defense Asks For Closed Hearing

A judge won’t determine whether to close a fitness-to-proceed hearing, in whole or in part, in a Fort Smith capital-murder case before learning more about what evidence the prosecution and defense intend to introduce at a Thursday hearing.

Gregory Aaron Kinsey, 21, faces two counts of capital murder in the June 26, 2013, deaths of Brandon Prince, 39, and Nathan Young, 32, both of Fort Smith. Police found the two men dead outside a duplex in the 1600 block of North D Street.

Although Terri Chambers and Katherine Streett, co-counsels with the Arkansas Public Defender Commission, previously announced Kinsey would claim self-defense at trial, the state is seeking an examination to determine whether Kinsey is fit to proceed.

A hearing on the matter is scheduled for Thursday at 9 a.m. before Sebastian County Circuit Court Judge Stephen Tabor.

In a Monday teleconference with Tabor and Chief Deputy Prosecutor Linda Ward and deputy prosecutor Jeff Claybrook, Chambers asked Tabor to close the courtroom for the hearing, claiming confidential medical records for Kinsey will be discussed as will matters that a jury likely will never hear that would contaminate the jury pool if made public.

Tabor said without knowing what evidence and witnesses will be offered and in the interest of Kinsey’s right to a fair trial and the presumption that hearing will be open to the public, he won’t determine how to proceed until he has more information.

Jury selection for the death-penalty trial is scheduled for Nov. 13-14, with the trial scheduled to begin Nov. 17.

Tabor set aside two days — Thursday and Friday — to handle 40 pending pre-trial motions and go over detailed juror questionnaires filled out by prospective jurors.

Just before 10 p.m. June 26, 2013, Fort Smith police responded to a stabbing call at the duplex where they found Prince and Young dead from extensive cuts with a sharp instrument. A witness, Nathan Maynard, 21, who lived in the unit next door, told police he was sitting with Prince and Young drinking beer on the front porch when they noticed a man, later identified as Kinsey, acting suspiciously as he walked down a nearby alley, the Times Record reported in June 2013.

Maynard said Prince and Young confronted Kinsey about what he was doing before the situation escalated. Kinsey threw down grocery bags he was carrying and pulled a machete from his pants. Maynard told his friends to back off, but Kinsey continued to go after them with the blade. Maynard said he tried to help Prince and Young, and struck Kinsey with a piece of wood. Maynard locked Prince’s two sons, ages 15 and 2, inside.

Kinsey told police he was walking home from the Dollar Store when he thought he saw a man who used to date his mother. Kinsey was looking in the backyard when he was approached by Prince, Young and Maynard, who were “argumentative” toward him, he said. Kinsey told police he attacked Prince and Young after he told them to back off and he felt they weren’t going to let him go, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Kinsey told the detectives he kept cutting until he heard a gurgling noise in Young’s throat. When asked if he sharpened the machete, Kinsey replied, “indeed.”

Kinsey remains at the Sebastian County Adult Detention Center without bond.

http://swtimes.com/news/prosecutor-s....eMSsHCPr.dpuf

Judge: No Mental Exam Required In Machete Killing Case

A Fort Smith man accused of killing two people with a machete in 2013 is not going to be required to have a mental exam, a judge ruled.

Gregory Aaron Kinsey, 21, will claim self defense in the deaths of Brandon Prince and Nathan Young, who were killed in June of 2013, KTHV reported.

After listening to testimony, Judge Stephen Tabor said that Kinsey was not going to be required to have a mental exam, according to KTHV.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty, and his next court date is scheduled for Nov. 17, KTHV reported.

http://5newsonline.com/2014/10/10/ju...-killing-case/

Jury Selection Begins in Kinsey’s Capital Murder Trial

FORT SMITH (KFSM) – Jury selection began in the capital murder case of a Fort Smith man accused of killing two others with a machete. The jury pool reported to Judge Stephan Tabor’s courtroom Thursday morning (Nov.13) at the Sebastian County Courts Building.

Tabor will spend the next day and a half deciding which jurors will hear Gregory Kinsey’s capital murder case.

Kinsey faces two counts of capital murder in June 2013 deaths of Brandon Prince and Nathan Young.

Authorities found the two men dead from extensive cuts outside a duplex on North D street near downtown. Investigators ruled that Kinsey killed both of them with a machete he was carrying at the time of his arrest. During his investigation, Kinsey told authorities he was walking home from the Dollar Store when he was approached by the group of three men who became argumentative.

Kinsey told police he attacked Prince and Young after he told them to back off and felt they wouldn’t let him go. Kinsey’s been behind bars, without bond, at the Sebastian County Detention Center since his arrest that night.

Sebastian County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Shue is seeking the death penalty in this case.

Jury selection is to wrap up sometime Friday (Nov.14). Kinsey’s trial is then expected to begin Monday morning (Nov. 17).

http://5newsonline.com/2014/11/13/ju...-murder-trial/

Prosecution Rests, Defense Begins in 2013 Fort Smith Machete Murder Trial

NOTE: This is a comprehensive account of testimony and evidence presented in the trial. For that reason, some content can be disturbing to readers.

FORT SMITH, AR (KNWA) - Prosecution has rested Tuesday and defense began, wrapping up day two of the murder trial for Gregory Aaron Kinsey.

Kinsey is charged with two counts of capital murder, accused of using a machete to kill Nathan Young and Brandon Prince on June 26,2013.

On Tuesday, prosecutors introduced pictures of the crime scene and the physical evidence like the boots, shirt, pants Kinsey was wearing that night in June. Prosecution also introduced other items for evidence including the machete, dollar general bags, a lemon/lime pop bottle and bath tissue.

Two Fort Smith police Department detectives, Joe Armor and Troy Williams, testified for the prosecution.

Kinsey sat quietly in the courtroom as prosecution played a couple recorded phone calls Kinsey made from jail. In one call, Kinsey could be heard saying it "Started out as self defense and went beyond that." In another, he said 'When I swung that blade I knew I was pretty much giving up everything, my freedom.'

Cole Prince, the 16-year-old son of Brandon Price also took the stand. He said was at the house that night, staying with his dad for fathers day, along with his three-year-old brother, Cane.

Cole said his dad, Price, had gone outside to smoke a cigarette while he and his brother were inside, watching a movie. Cole stated ran outside when he heard his dad screaming and saw Price running up to the door with blood and cuts.

Cole said he saw Kinsey picking up bags of groceries. He said he grabbed towels to try and stop his dads bleeding but Price died in his arms while his neighbor was on the phone with 911.

Prosecution rested and the court recessed around 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.

When court reconvened, defense began. Defense called Fort Smith firefighter Peter Gross who testified he could smell blood and alcohol in the air when he arrived on scene. He described where the blood was located at the crime scene, telling the jury it was on the porch, alley, street and under a tree near the home.

Gross said it would have and that it was the most blood he had ever seen at a crime scene.

Fort Smith firefighter David Ulrich also testified to the smell of blood and told the jury where the blood, which he said had presented a bio-hazard, had been washed away.

Defense asked Fort Smith Police Department's Ricky Brooks, the evidence custodian for the case, about flip flops that were checked into evidence. Brooks said 4 flip flops were logged on the log check in but that only 3 were actually checked in.

Fort Smith EMS worker Jake Tucker was also questioned about the blood and alcohol smell when he arrived on scene. He said that he had smelled blood and alcohol and also saw cans on the porch but couldn't say for sure if they were beer cans. He told the jury that by the time he got to the scene, he wasn't able to do anything for the victims.

Court recessed less than an hour after convening. Judge Stephen Tabor said court would be back in session at 9am Wednesday morning and could rap up sometime in the afternoon. The jury could begin deliberations as early as Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/story...4ky0dMDzHcrvgA

Fort Smith Machete Suspect Found Guilty Of 1st And 2nd-Degree Murder

FORT SMITH (KFSM) – The man accused of hacking two men to death with a machete was found guilty Wednesday night of first-degree murder and second-degree murder.

The verdict came after three days of court proceedings and hours of deliberation by a Sebastian County Circuit Court jury.

The case of Gregory Kinsey, charged with two counts of capital murder, was turned over into the hands of the jury just after 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Just before 5:30 p.m., jurors sent word to the judge they wished to stay and wanted to order pizza, officials at the courthouse said.

The jury delivered a verdict at 7 p.m., finding Kinsey guilty of first-degree murder in the death of Nathan Young and of second-degree murder in the death of Brandon Prince.

Sentencing for Kinsey is set for 10 a.m. on Thursday.

Kinsey was accused of hacking two men to death with a machete in June 2013. The prosecution and defense presented closing arguments Wednesday afternoon in Fort Smith and turned the case over to 12 jurors, comprised of seven women and five men.

Wednesday’s portion of the trial began with the defense calling three witnesses to the stand, including two eyewitnesses from the night of the incident and a “fight or flight” expert.

An eyewitness who said he saw the prelude to the altercation said Young, Prince and Nathan Maynard first approached Kinsey in the alley and spread out in a “half moon”.

Dennis Miles, who was out looking for his loose dog, said two of the men then started moving toward Kinsey and Kinsey started backing up. Miles said he did not see the actual fight that then ensued and led to the deaths of Prince and Young.

Maynard was injured in the fight, but survived. He testified earlier this week that it was Kinsey who approached the three men and said, “I am Satan,” before the fight.

The trial began Monday in Sebastian County Circuit Court with opening arguments and witnesses for the prosecution. Prosecutors called their last witnesses Tuesday and rested before the defense called its witnesses and rested Wednesday morning. Prosecutor Dan Shue said he is seeking the death penalty in the case.

Prosecutors said Kinsey meant to kill the two men, while the defense attorney said the suspect was only acting in self-defense against three drunk men who were being aggressive with him.

Tuesday’s proceedings ended shortly after the testimony of Cole Prince, the teenage son of one of the victims.

Prince, 16, recounted for jurors the night of the killing, saying he held his father in his arms as he died.

Cole Prince said his father Brandon Prince went to the store the night of June 26, 2013, returned to the house and went outside to smoke a cigarette. Cole Prince then heard his father scream and went outside to find Brandon Prince with machete wounds to his shoulder and hand.

Cole Prince testified he heard suspect Gregory Kinsey then say, “I shouldn’t have done this.”

Prince ran to get a towel for his father and held him in his arms until he died, the son testified.

A medical examiner on Monday testified blood tests showed Prince had a .22 blood-alcohol level at the time of his death, while Young’s blood-alcohol level was .10.

Authorities found Prince and Young dead from extensive cuts outside a duplex on North D Street near downtown Fort Smith. Investigators said Kinsey killed both of them with a machete he was carrying at the time of his arrest. During his investigation, Kinsey told authorities he was walking home from the Dollar Store when he was approached by the group of three men who became argumentative.

Kinsey told police he attacked Prince and Young after he told them to back off and felt they wouldn’t let him go. Kinsey has been behind bars, without bond, at the Sebastian County Detention Center since his arrest that night.

The trial comes after several resets in the case so that both sides could properly prepare. Authorities released surveillance video last year showing Kinsey at a nearby Dollar General buying paper towels, soda and tea bags the night of the incident. Moments later, police said he and two men fought in an alley near the store.

911 calls at the time indicate that the confrontation had turned violent.

911: “Where’s your emergency?”

Caller: “I need an ambulance at 1618 North D like right now, I don’t know what just happened someone is bleeding to death.”

The 911 call continues, as a frantic neighbor describes the scene and comforts screaming children in the background.

Police found the bloody Dollar General bags inside Kinsey’s home, according to court documents. They also seized several knives from his home.

According to the medical examiner, Young’s cause of death was “multiple chop wounds,” while Prince sustained “injury to axillary artery due to chop wound of left arm.”

Video was also released of Kinsey interviewing with police after his arrest. In the video Kinsey offered his account of what happened, telling officers, “He (Nathan) asked me why I was creeping around in the shadows like that. I became angry. I tossed my bags and yelled and told him, ‘Please, I don’t want to go to prison today.’”

Kinsey told police he had a clear mind at the time of the attack and once it began he described feeling like he was watching a movie.

“I remember he tried to flee, but I don’t think I registered it at the time. I pursued him. I kept trying… I wasn’t trying to kill him. I was trying to incapacitate him. It’s just once I started swinging, I just kept swinging,” said Kinsey to police.

Judge Stephen Tabor issued what attorneys called a “partial gag order” in the case. The order blocked some photos from being released, including two photos of Young and Prince taken at the crime scene as well as photos from inside Kinsey’s home.

Two videos from Kinsey’s cell phone were also blocked from being released.

Before the gag order was issued, though, photographs were released showing the inside of Kinsey’s apartment, where walls were smeared with a red substance, showing finger-marks and handprints.

http://5newsonline.com/2014/11/19/da...in-fort-smith/

Jury Sentences Kinsey To 70 Years In Machete Killings

By Jeff Arnold
    Times Record

A Sebastian County jury sentenced a Fort Smith man to 70 total years for killing two men with a machete last summer.

The state had sought a capital murder conviction and the death penalty in the June 26, 2013, deaths of Brandon Prince, 39, and Nathan Young, 32, both of Fort Smith. Police found the two men dead outside a duplex in the 1600 block of North D Street.

Wednesday evening, the jury found Gregory Aaron Kinsey, 21, guilty of second-degree murder in Prince’s death and first-degree murder in Young’s death after deliberating about three and a half hours. The trial began Monday.

Testimony and oral argument during the sentencing portion of the trial took up most of Thursday. The seven-woman and five-man jury deliberated for an hour and 45 minutes before returning with the sentencing recommendation just before 5 p.m.

Jurors heard from Kinsey’s siblings, Cody, Summer and Dillon Kinsey, who all testified about the drug use, violence, deprivation and instability to which they and their brother were exposed while growing up and the effect it had on him.

Dillon Kinsey, who’s younger than Gregory Kinsey, said once their father went to prison and was gone for good, their mother, Kimberly LeClaire, moved in a succession of men who were violent drug addicts.

When he tried to count how many different places he lived growing up, Dillon Kinsey said he got up to 23 or 24 different residences — several without utilities — and five of six different school districts.

Dillon testified they moved any time the Arkansas Department of Human Services was called to the home, and usually went to a different city.

All of LeClaire’s children went into foster care around 2010 when she was arrested and convicted of possession of drug paraphernalia when components for a methamphetamine lab were found in the home, according to the testimony of multiple witnesses.

Both Dillon Kinsey and Summer Kinsey testified that going into foster care put their lives on a better path. Gregory Kinsey was close to 18, so he was allowed to stay with Cody Kinsey, who was already over 18, while the younger two went into foster care.

The siblings all testified that Gregory Kinsey became more withdrawn and isolated the worse the environment got at home.

When Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Linda Ward asked the jury to sentence Kinsey to life in prison, she showed them the pictures of Prince’s and Young’s bloody, lifeless bodies and told them to remember “this is not all about Gregory Aaron Kinsey.”

Cole Prince, Brandon Prince’s 16-year-old son, took the stand and read a victim impact statement telling Kinsey he took the best thing in his life away from him.

“I can’t describe how it feels to sit there with someone you love in your arms bleeding to death … I had cried myself to sleep each night for over a month. Now my tears are all dried up,” Cole told jurors.

Cole said as a result of his father’s death, his younger brother, Cayne, was forced to go into foster care and he rarely gets to see him now.

Misty Smith, Cole’s aunt, said Prince brought out a “creative, happy, joyous side” of Cole that his family doesn’t see much now.

“I have watched him be sad, angry and strong all at the same time. I can’t describe how much pain he is going through. The joy has left his eyes and he will never be a carefree child again,” Smith said, reading from her impact statement.

Smith told the jury the only way to assure this “vicious” and “unrepentant” murderer never kills anyone in Sebastian County again is to sentence him to life.

Teri Chambers, court-appointed co-counsel for Kinsey, argued the reason a range exists for sentencing is because not every conviction deserves a maximum sentence. Chambers requested a sentence in the low to middle range.

Kinsey faced 10 to 40 years or life in prison for first-degree murder and six to 30 years in prison for second-degree murder.

She pointed out Kinsey never harmed anyone before; argued that he wasn’t the aggressor June 26, 2013; said he goes out of the way to avoid trouble; has caused no trouble during about 17 months in jail; was cooperative when arrested and questioned by police; and isn’t the machete-wielding maniac Ward made him out to be.

“He went too far (in defending himself), but he didn’t want it,” Chambers said.

While he avoided a capital-murder conviction and potential death sentence, jurors rejected Kinsey’s self-defense claim when they found him guilty of two counts of murder.

In a statement to police played for jurors on Monday, Kinsey told investigators he was walking home from shopping at Dollar General, 1620 Grand Ave., through an alley near North D and 16th streets, and he stepped into a backyard when he thought he heard the voice of a man who was abusive to his mother when she previously dated him.

The yard Kinsey stepped into was Young’s, who was across the street on Nathan Maynard’s front porch drinking a beer.

Young yelled at Kinsey, and Young and Prince and possibly Maynard approached him.

What happened beyond that is disputed.

Kinsey claimed he pulled the machete and warned the men to back off before he began swinging it at them, hitting Prince once and Young between eight and 11 times.

Maynard said Young approached Kinsey about what he was doing in his yard and Prince was on the sidewalk when Kinsey announced he was Satan and started swinging the machete.

It’s also undisputed that Kinsey pursued Young when he ran and hit him with the machete multiple times while Young was on the ground, before Kinsey finally quit and fled.

Kinsey will be eligible for parole after 35 1/2 years.

http://swtimes.com/news/jury-sentenc...chete-killings

Thread Information