Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikko Allen Jenkins - Nebraska Death Row

Related

New Details Revealed In What Lead To Nikko Jenkins' Arrest

The bench trial began Monday for the man accused of providing the shotgun and two bullets that Nikko Jenkins used to, allegedly, murder four people. Two of the witnesses called to testify revealed how police were able to connect the dots that led to Nikko's arrest.

Anthony Wells, Nikko Jenkins' cousin, is charged with felon in possession of a handgun.

In court Monday, Nikko's former girlfriend, Sherry Floyd took the stand. She testified that she was at the Travelodge with Nikko, his mother, and sister when "Tone" aka Anthony Wells gave Nikko the gun. The gun was presented as evidence and Floyd confirmed it was the gun she saw Wells give Nikko.

Floyd testified another woman arrived at the hotel and got into a fight with Erika Jenkins. Floyd said she told the group she was leaving because she was afraid the noise would lead to someone calling police. Erika Jenkins allegedly gave Floyd the gun to take, in case the police did show up.

Floyd said she waited at the Burger King for some time, until Nikko and Erica called and asked her to pick them up. She testified that she got them from the Travelodge and took them to Motel 6 on July 31st. She testified that she got angry when Nikko's "other women" kept showing up, so she left the hotel on August 1, 2013.

Floyd testified that she is no longer dating Nikko and that she is terrified of his family. She alleges that Nikko had her followed and his sisters called and threatened her repeatedly. That's when she decided to go to Omaha police on August 28, 2013.

Omaha Police Detective Michael Dose testified Monday that Nikko was already a "person of interest" when Floyd came forward, but her story tied together Nikko with the murders. Detective Dose said he went to Travelodge and security video there corroborated Floyd's story.

Nikko was arrested on August 29 for making terroristic threats. His mother and sister allegedly started calling and threatening Floyd again, so she went back to police and gave them information about "Tone." At that point, police got an arrest affidavit for Nikko's mother and sister, as well as, Anthony Wells.

Wells' attorney cross-examined Floyd, asking whether it was true she was the one who bought the gun. She allegedly admitted telling Nikko she would get him a gun while he was in prison. Floyd responded that was just talk and that she didn't plan to follow through.

Wells shouted out several times during Floyd's testimony, saying "you lying" and "liar." The judge ordered Wells to calm down.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/N...1.html?ref=611
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Related

Judge issues ruling in Anthony Wells case

A judge has decided the fate of a man accused of being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm -- the firearm prosecutors say Nikko Jenkins received hours after his release from prison.

In a bench trial, Judge Peter Bataillon said based on beyond reasonable doubt, Anthony Wells is not guilty.

"There are no clean hands in this case. You have three kids. You shouldn’t be around these people. You should be at home supporting your kids,” said Bataillion.

-- Video: Judge finds Anthony Wells not guilty in Jenkins' case

Prosecutors argued that Wells handed Jenkins a .12-gauge shotgun at a party the night Jenkins was released from prison.

The judge said he looked for how the gun got into the motel. He said Wells was seen on video entering the motel three times, but could not see in the video that Wells brought in the gun. He said there was no evidence.

But the defense said it was actually Jenkins' ex-girlfriend, Sherry Floyd, who brought the gun to the Travel Lodge at 72nd and Grover streets and gave it to Jenkins.

According to the video, Floyd, who admitted she had the gun at one time, was also seen entering the motel with a number of bags.

Jenkins is charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the August 2013 deaths of Juan Uribe-Pena, Jorge Cajiga-Ruiz, Curtis Bradford and Andrea Kruger.

Wells will not be released from jail just yet. He has two holds on him.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/judge-issue...#ixzz2vpxyqsUZ

Nikko Jenkins sends KETV childhood medical records

The man accused charged with killing four people made his case outside the courtroom Tuesday.

Nikko Jenkins sent KETV NewsWatch 7 his childhood medical records.

It's an unprecedented move in a murder case of such a high magnitude.

Being his own attorney allows Jenkins access to all kinds of records.

Those medical records paint a troubled picture of a child who spent most of his life in trouble.

In a phone call Tuesday with Adrian Whitsett, he said his mom took him to the doctor for an evaluation when he was 8 years old after he brought a gun to school.

The reports from nearly 20 years ago describe a kid who's angry and scared with suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

"He speaks much about taking a gun and shooting his peers."

Just one sentence of many in the mental evaluation of a very young Jenkins.

He also is accused of chasing his sister around the house with a butcher knife and told his family, "I wish I were dead and I wish you were dead."

During his conversation with Whitsett, he said he sent the medical records to KETV as proof of a conspiracy because state corrections would have had access to these documents before he was released last July.

Jenkins also said it's proof that he never lied to anyone about his mental illness.

Driven by anxiety, the report details a self concept conflict based on power and vulnerability and said Jenkins drew a picture of himself as a split face showing two different sides to the world.

Jenkins also sent a medical record from the state prison in Tecumseh where he split his face on May 1, 2012, seen in the emergency room for self-mutilation.

At the time, he stated he didn't remember how it happened. In the report it said, patient states, "he woke up writing on the wall in his blood."

Jenkins is accused of killing Juan Uribe-Pena, Jorge Cajiga-Ruiz, Curtis Bradford and Andrea Kruger in Aug. of last year.

Wednesday morning, Jenkins is scheduled to represent himself again on several motions including suppression of evidence and dismissal of all 14 felony charges.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/nikko-jenki...#ixzz2xj1ddTx0

Nikko Jenkins Calls County Attorney To Witness Stand

The man accused of killing four people in Omaha last August was back in court Wednesday, putting Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine on the witness stand.

Nikko Jenkins, being allowed to serve as his own attorney, wanted Kleine kicked off the state's case for prosecutorial misconduct after telling reporters in January about the state psychiatrist's opinion that deemed Jenkins competent to stand trial. Douglas County District Court Judge Peter Bataillon dismissed Jenkins' claim, saying the evidence did not support it.

The morning was filled with interruptions and objections.

Jenkins: "[Kleine's] going to be impeached, he knows that."
    Judge: "Mr. Jenkins, you don't get to argue. You ask the witness questions. You're not entitled to argue with witnesses."
    Jenkins: "He understands the question. He doesn't want to answer it."
    Judge: "You've gone over this ad nauseam. Anything you have that's new?"

There are a number of additional motions being considered, including Jenkins' request that all charges be dismissed. Several Omaha police officers are expected to take the stand Wednesday afternoon.

Jenkins is accused of murdering Juan Uribe-Pena, Jorge Cajiga-Ruiz, Curtis Bradford and Andrea Kruger. He has pleaded not guilty, claiming he didn't receive proper mental health treatment while previously in prison.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/N...1.html?ref=851

Judge won't accept Jenkins' plea

The man accused in four Omaha murders now wants to change his plea, but the judge on the case won't accept it.

Nikko Jenkins, 27, faces a number of charges, including four counts of first-degree murder in connection with the August 2013 deaths of Juan Uribe-Pena, Jorge Cajiga-Ruiz, Curtis Bradford and Andrea Kruger.

In his latest move, Jenkins, who's representing himself in the high-profile case, told Judge Peter Bataillon that he wants to plead no contest to the charges.

At a hearing Tuesday afternoon, Bataillon refused to accept the plea.

"If you want to enter a plea of guilty, I'll consider that," Bataillon said. "But that's my right."

Bataillon said he wouldn't accept the no-contest plea because the state has asked for the death penalty in the case, which would require Jenkins to be found guilty.

Jenkins argued with Bataillon.

"I can't be forced to stand trial for a crime I'm pleading no contest to," Jenkins said. "You are obligated to uphold my constitutional right."

"You don't have a constitutional right to enter no contest. But you may enter a plea of guilty. If you want to enter a plea, we'll proceed with that right now," Bataillon said.

Jenkins did not enter a guilty plea, and Tuesday's hearing continued onto several matters of evidence before adjourning.

In October, Bataillon entered a "not guilty" plea on Jenkins' behalf.

Right after his arrest in August, Jenkins initially told investigators he wanted to plead guilty to the charges.

The case is set to go to trial July 28.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/nikko-jenki...#ixzz2yKBnpQPB

Omaha hearing set on guilty pleas in Nikko Jenkins case

A Wednesday hearing is set on a motion by Nikko Jenkins to plead guilty to killing four people in Omaha last summer.

Douglas County District Judge Peter Bataillon scheduled the hearing and is expected to tell the 27-year-old he is giving up several rights by changing his earlier pleas.

Jenkins filed the motion Friday. He'd previously pleaded not guilty to four murder and eight weapons charges. Last week, he tried to plead no contest to the charges but Bataillon said he wouldn't accept the pleas because of the severity of the cases.

In February, the judge ruled that Jenkins was mentally competent to stand trial.

Police say the four victims were shot within three weeks of Jenkins' release from prison on July 30, 2013.

The case has put Nebraska prison reform in the spotlight

http://journalstar.com/news/state-an...49c938a58.html

Jenkins Tells WOWT 6 News He's Sticking With Guilty Plea

Nikko Jenkins, charged with four counts of first-degree murder, is expected to plead guilty in court Wednesday morning.

Jenkins is scheduled to appear before Douglas County District Judge Peter Bataillon at 10 a.m. If those pleas are entered, the case would move forward to the death penalty phase.

The 27-year-old filed a handwritten motion Friday saying he wants to plead guilty. Jenkins, acting as his own attorney, is accused of shooting four people to death in three separate attacks over 10 days after being released from prison last July 30th.

Jenkins called WOWT 6 News on Tuesday, telling reporter Brian Mastre that he believes higher courts will ultimately free him in spite of his admissions to killing Juan Uribe-Pena, Jorge Cajiga-Ruiz, Curtis Bradford, and Andrea Kruger “because that was not me admitting it, that was under police trickery. That was under police interrogation of lying and tactics they were doing to me and preying on me for my mental illness."

Not only did Jenkins tell police he was guilty after being arrested last August, but he admitted it to WOWT 6 News weeks later. He then pleaded not guilty, claiming he didn't receive proper mental health treatment while in prison.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/J...1.html?ref=271

Nikko Jenkins found guilty of 4 murders

After weeks on the verge, Nikko Jenkins said in court Wednesday that he executed four people in a vicious spree.

He said so, in typical fashion, using a thousand words to get to one.

Guilty.

Guilty of killing Juan Uribe-Pena and Jorge Cajiga-Ruiz on Aug. 11.

Guilty of killing Curtis Bradford, a former fellow prisoner and the man he once described as “my little homie,” on Aug. 19.

Guilty of killing Andrea Kruger, a mother of three who was on her way home from work, on Aug. 21.

But as with all things Jenkins, it wasn't that easy.

After initially pleading guilty, he disputed prosecutors' accounts of the factual basis of the crimes.

At times, he spoke in what he said was the language of his serpent god, Opophis.
    Prosecutors say he is faking the purported voices — that his real reason for the killings was robbery.

After the hearing bogged down over the factual basis of the killings, Douglas County District Judge Peter Bataillon reversed his stance from a week ago and said he would accept “no-contest” pleas from Jenkins.

The judge then found Jenkins guilty of 12 counts over the four deaths.

The crimes were committed in Jenkins' first three weeks of freedom after serving 10 years in prison.

The latest courtroom drama was anything but the guilty declaration Jenkins vowed to make last fall, when he said he wanted to spare the victims' families a trial where they would have to see grisly crime-scene photos of their loved ones.

No, Wednesday's hearing was — as are most things in this case — all about Jenkins. He aired various grievances: that he wasn't receiving discovery information, that prosecutors and police have violated his rights. And he indicated he wanted to get the criminal case over so he could proceed with a civil lawsuit claiming he was held on illegally obtained evidence.

“What prompted to me to plead out is I feel my constitutional rights and human rights are not being recognized,” Jenkins said. “I feel I have no other choice but to plead guilty.”

Bataillon repeatedly told Jenkins, 27, he had other choices. Go to trial, plead not guilty, or plead not guilty by reason of insanity.

The judge said he met with Jenkins and his advisory counsel in chambers, in a rare move, to answer any questions Jenkins had — with the permission of prosecutors. In the 45-minute delay before the plea hearing began, Jenkins aired various complaints about prosecutors, police and jailers, Bataillon said.

“Some of these complaints can be resolved by this court,” Bataillon said. “However, I had advised if he pleads guilty, he is waiving all these concerns and complaints.”

“The main thing is, I'm ready to go where I'm going to go,” Jenkins told the judge. “I'm not trying to sit in Douglas County Jail. I don't want to be sitting here going through this little dumb litigation bullshit ... in this jurisdiction.”

Jenkins entered the courtroom in leg chains and handcuffs.

Kruger's husband, Michael-Ryan Kruger, sat a couple of seats down from Bradford's mother, Velita Glasgow. Michael-Ryan cupped Glasgow's hand as he shuffled past her on the way into the courtroom.

Both of them — along with other family members — watched as Jenkins approached the defense table.

Jenkins, who is representing himself, entered the guilty pleas.

For a couple of weeks, he has been declaring he wanted to enter pleas as part of his apparent legal strategy. Jenkins has said he thinks he can succeed in getting any conviction overturned in the civil arena on the grounds that authorities violated his constitutional rights and obtained illegal evidence to convict him.

Such a move is a long shot, at best, according to legal observers and death-penalty attorneys.

Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine said Omaha police and Douglas County sheriff's deputies collected overwhelming evidence against Jenkins, including the rifle and shotgun used in the slayings, admissions from Jenkins' family members, who also are charged in the case, and Jenkins' confession.

Jenkins was characteristically cold during the hearing — laughing briefly, and incredulously, as Kleine detailed the victims' deaths.

Glasgow, Bradford's mother, rushed out of the courtroom as Kleine detailed her son's death.

In that death, Kleine described how Jenkins corrected his sister, Erica, on how to execute someone. At that, Jenkins smirked.

“You lying,” Jenkins shot at Kleine. “Dude is crazy.”

When Kleine described four shots to Kruger, Jenkins piped up.

“Where was the gunshot wound — to the head?” Jenkins asked. “I didn't hear him.”
    “To the head,” Bataillon said.

Wednesday didn't go entirely as Jenkins had planned. He wanted to be sentenced to death row immediately.

Bataillon informed him, however, that a three-judge panel must weigh whether his crimes merit the death penalty. Prosecutors charged Jenkins with these aggravating factors: that he committed multiple murders, that he killed to cover up a crime and that he has a substantial history of violent behavior.

The panel of judges will convene, likely this summer, to consider those factors and to weigh his case against other death-row cases.

“Do you understand you're facing the death penalty?” Bataillon asked.

“Yes,” Jenkins said loudly.

Outside of the court, Kleine said prosecutors still plan to seek the death penalty. "He made admissions to these incidents after his arrest, and we have no questions to his responsibility," he said. Kleine said he thinks the judge allowed Jenkins to enter a plea because he was satisfied Jenkins knew what was going on.

"Obviously, this is a very serious case from every perspective, and the judge just wants to ensure that the process is working the way it is supposed to," Kleine said.

Glasgow waited outside the courtroom until the proceedings ended. Her family and friends piled out of the courtroom crying and saying, "He's guilty, baby." Glasgow said going through the death-penalty hearing will be just as tough as Wednesday's hearing.

"I am ready for this next stage. This is too hard for me. This is too hard for my family," Glasgow said. "I am ready for all parties to have closure. We need closure now."

Bradford's and Kruger's families met with homicides detectives after the trial. Kruger's mother, Teri Roberts, thanked Omaha Police Officer Mike Dose for his detective work.

"I'm glad this part is over," Roberts said.

http://m.omaha.com/article/20140416/...late=mobileart

Sen. Ernie Chambers tries to undo Nikko Jenkins' convictions

The Nebraska Supreme Court should refuse to appoint a three-judge panel to consider whether Nikko Jenkins deserves the death penalty — a move that would effectively nullify, for now, Jenkins' convictions in the killings of four Omahans, a state lawmaker says.

Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha, a watchdog of both judges and death penalty cases, said he will write a letter to Chief Justice Michael Heavican asking him to halt the formation of the panel and to set aside Jenkins' no-contest pleas to the murders of Juan Uribe-Pena, Jorge Cajiga-Ruiz, Curtis Bradford and Andrea Kruger.

Chambers, who holds a law degree, said District Judge Peter Bataillon was “as crazy in his handling of this (case) as Nikko Jenkins has proved himself to be.” Chambers said Jenkins, who represented himself in court, will not walk free again, but he shouldn't go straight to death row.

“Nothing about any of these proceedings has gone forward in a way that could be called judicious,” Chambers said. “There are so many irregularities that this could be called nothing but a kangaroo court.”

Bataillon declined to comment.

However, both Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine and Public Defender Tom Riley, who served as Jenkins' adviser, said Bataillon governed his courtroom as well as any judge could when dealing with a defendant who insists on representing himself and presenting his grievances.

Chambers said he is not advocating that Jenkins “walk free” — saying the 27-year-old will spend the rest of his life in prison.

However, he questioned how Bataillon could allow Jenkins to essentially plead to death row and make a “Barnum & Bailey” circus of the justice system.

Chambers said Bataillon committed the following “irregularities”:

» Allowing Jenkins to essentially fire the Public Defender's Office and act as his own attorney. Chambers pointed to a 2008 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that states that even if a defendant is ruled competent to stand trial, that does not mean he is competent to represent himself.

Riley said, however, that there are nuances in that and other high court rulings. In one such ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court said that all defendants, if deemed competent to stand trial, have a right to enter guilty or no-contest pleas, even if they may not be skilled enough to handle a trial.

» Allowing Jenkins to plead no contest for Jenkins' stated reason: that he wanted to proceed with a civil rights lawsuit claiming he was being held on unconstitutionally obtained evidence. Jenkins clearly didn't understand the law, Chambers said.

Jenkins, he said, bought into the folly that other prisoners sometimes follow: that another judge, or a federal judge, will throw out the evidence and free him. Such actions, called writs of habeas corpus, rarely succeed.

» Allowing Jenkins to plead no contest after Bataillon initially said he would accept only a guilty plea.

Just last week, Bataillon rejected Jenkins' attempts to plead no contest to the killings. Bataillon said he had concerns about Jenkins' “competency to act as his own attorney” — noting Jenkins' “incongruent” requests. On one hand, he was complaining about his access to documents to prepare for trial. On the other hand, he was saying he wanted to plead.

With the death penalty on the table, Bataillon said then, Jenkins would have to plead guilty or go to trial.

Fast forward to Wednesday. Jenkins initially pleaded guilty to all the charges.

Prosecutors then gave the factual basis for the crimes, as is customary. The judge turned to Jenkins and asked if he had any problems with the factual basis.

Jenkins, who had scoffed at parts of the accounts, said he did.

Bataillon then asked him if he shot each victim.

To that, Jenkins claimed to have remembered being at the crime scenes but said he didn't remember any of the actual shootings because a serpent god had ordered him to shoot the people.

The judge leaned his head back and let out a long sigh.

He asked prosecutors if they had any objection to Jenkins' pleading no contest — reversing his stance from the week before. Prosecutors stated no objections.

Bataillon then asked Jenkins if his plan to plead no contest was his own “free and knowing” act.

“I wouldn't say 'free,' ” Jenkins said.

Bataillon noted that if the pleas weren't freely given, he couldn't accept them.

Seconds later, Jenkins agreed he was doing it of his own volition. He entered the no-contest pleas.

Chambers noted that Jenkins entered the pleas after he had made several complaints about his ability to prepare for trial, including access to police reports and the jail law library.

“There has been so much confusion in this case,” Chambers said. “The judge makes statements and then contradicts himself.

“What the judge should have done is just adjourn the hearing. It's clear from the way (Jenkins) comported himself in court that he was not competent enough to represent himself.”

Attorneys inside and outside the courtroom disagreed.

They pointed to signs that Jenkins knew what he was doing and several safeguards the judge took before accepting Jenkins' pleas:

» Kleine said Jenkins was crafty and calculating — far from “deranged,” as Chambers described him.

Jenkins capably argued some points, including a motion in which he attempted to get his confession thrown out. In that motion, he argued that detectives had coddled him and baited him, even hugging him, as he made his statements.

» A rare in-chambers meeting between Jenkins and the judge. Jenkins — accompanied by Riley and Scott Sladek, assistant public defender — aired several grievances, including his ability to access the jail law library.

No court reporter was present at that in-chambers meeting. However, Bataillon said he advised Jenkins that he would resolve those issues.

And, the judge said, he told Jenkins to be cautious — that Jenkins would forfeit all of his rights if he pleaded to the charges.

» A detailed recitation of Jenkins' rights.

Before allowing Jenkins to enter his pleas, Bataillon rattled off the battery of rights and challenges that Jenkins would be giving up. Judges typically recite that litany before accepting a plea.

Both Riley and Kleine said there wasn't a “circus atmosphere” as Chambers claimed. Outside the courtroom and on his way out of the courtroom, Jenkins often cursed or carried on — at one point, howling like a hound at the moon.

In court, Bataillon wasn't afraid to cut off Jenkins — once pounding his palm on the bench to get Jenkins to be quiet. On Wednesday, he didn't allow Jenkins to present crime scene photos of the killings.

“I don't think he lost control of the courtroom at all,” Riley said.

He said judges are obliged to give defendants representing themselves “a little bit of leeway. I think the judge did that — he allowed him to state his case, except when the defendant made statements that were not germane.”

Riley said Jenkins has a few options now.

He could try to withdraw his plea. In his more than 35 years as an attorney, Riley said, he can recall only one or two defendants who have been allowed to do so. High courts almost always uphold pleas.

He could seek civil relief. Chambers and several attorneys say Jenkins' civil lawsuit — seeking to throw out his arrest — is a long shot at best.

He could appeal Bataillon's ruling finding him competent to stand trial and competent to serve as his own attorney. Riley said that is Jenkins' most likely route — after his sentencing.

He said he doesn't know if the Nebraska Supreme Court would have recourse to intervene before appointing the three-judge panel, as Chambers has suggested.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140418/NEWS/140418406

Weidmann1939
    Nebraska state senator Ernie Chambers.........think Reverend Al (aka the snitch ) Sharpton only no ordination or money and in public office.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information