Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Scott Lee Peterson - California

Scott Peterson lawyer can't shake juror testimony over trial

By Don Thompson
    Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Lawyers trying to overturn Scott Peterson’s conviction in the sordid slaying of his pregnant wife 20 years ago completed their questioning Monday without shaking a former juror from her crucial testimony that she acted properly before and during his 2004 trial.

They must first prove to California Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo that juror Richelle Nice lied on her pre-trial jury questionnaire to get on the panel that convicted Peterson of murdering Laci Peterson, 27, and the unborn son they were going to name Conner. The judge then would have to find that Nice was biased against Peterson from the start, tainting his jury and denying him a fair trial.

But Nice swore in testimony Friday and again Monday that, while she may have answered juror questions improperly, she did so truthfully.

Peterson’s attorneys plan to spend the next two days of the weeklong hearing putting on witnesses they say will contradict Nice’s answers.

"When I filled out that questionnaire, honestly and truly, nothing of this ever crossed my mind, ever,” Nice said Monday of her failure to disclose that she had sought a restraining order in 2000 against her then boyfriend’s former girlfriend, saying then that she feared for her own unborn child.

That, Peterson’s attorneys say, colored her view of their client, accused of killing his wife when she was eight months pregnant and dumping her body into San Francisco Bay on Christmas Eve 2002.

“I didn’t write it on the questionnaire because it never crossed my mind, ever. It wasn’t done intentionally — it didn’t cross my mind," Nice swore.

She also disputed any financial motive in the case.

Jurors never discussed jointly writing a book until after the trial and verdict — “Absolutely not,” she swore.

Another juror loaned her $1,000 only after the trial ended — “Way after the trial, maybe even a year.”

She denied selling a series of post-trial letters between herself and Peterson to People Magazine.

Nice said she doesn’t recall a fellow juror’s account that when she joined the jury in deliberations she declared that “We should get Scott for what he did to Laci and ‘little man.’ ”

“It doesn’t sound like something I would say, but I have no idea,” she said. “I don’t remember this.”

She said to her recollection, the first time she used “little man” to refer to Conner was in her first television interview after the trial.

Peterson’s attorneys argue that she lobbied to get on the jury.

But prosecutors on Monday called that into question with a transcript of the jury selection process showing that the trial judge had dismissed Nice from the jury pool because of financial hardship and she was ready to walk out the door without complaint — until Peterson’s celebrity attorney, Mark Geragos, called her back.

It was only then that she said she could afford to serve during what was expected to be a five-month trial despite being paid by her employer for just two weeks.

Nice said she could afford to go without pay because she was living with her mother and boyfriend, who could help financially.

But Peterson attorney Pat Harris said Friday that they can’t find Nice’s then-boyfriend, who he said told a defense investigator that he was concerned at the time about the financial toll and Nice’s need to care for a sick child.

Massullo is weighing whether to allow the investigator to testify instead.

Defense attorneys plan to call Geragos to the stand, contending now that his allowing Nice to serve amounted to ineffective assistance of counsel.

Geragos has said in court papers that had he known of Nice’s personal history he would have immediately bounced her from the jury.

Peterson's attorneys plan to call to the witness stand three former fellow jurors; a co-author of “We the Jury,” the book written by Nice and six other jurors; and filmmakers who say Nice had on her wall a photograph of a young child in pajamas with printing on the pajamas that said “Little-man.”

They also plan to question a People magazine reporter who wrote a story based on the 17 letters Nice wrote to Peterson after his conviction and the eight letters Peterson wrote to Nice.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/scott-peterson-lawyer-can-t-shake-juror-testimony-over-trial/ar-AAUqX4z
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Scott Peterson hearing canceled after lawyer tests positive for COVID, Peterson exposed

The last hearing before a judge determines if Scott Peterson should get a new trial was postponed Tuesday after the convicted killer was exposed to COVID and one of his lawyers tested positive.

The hearing for oral arguments following an evidentiary hearing in March to determine if a juror on Peterson’s 2004 murder trial committed misconduct was scheduled for Wednesday in San Mateo Superior Court. But during a hastily called pretrial hearing Tuesday, it was revealed that one of Peterson’s attorneys, Pat Harris, has COVID and that Peterson is on a “loose quarantine” after being exposed to COVID in his pod at San Quentin State Prison, said Sarah Lind, a deputy court executive officer for San Mateo Superior Court.

Peterson still is being housed at San Quentin but no longer is on death row after being resentenced in December to life without the possibility of parole.

The California Supreme Court in 2020 overturned Peterson’s death sentence, saying the trial judge erred by excluding potential jurors opposed to the death penalty.

The Stanislaus County District Attorney’s Office initially said it would seek the death penalty again.

In a separate decision 6 months later, the state Supreme Court returned the guilt phase of the trial to San Mateo Superior Court for a judge to decide whether a juror committed misconduct when she failed to disclose on a jury questionnaire that she’d been the victim of a crime or party in a lawsuit.

Judge Anne-Christine Massullo has 90 days from the date of the oral arguments to make a decision about whether Peterson should get a new trial.

A decision would have been due by the end of September had the hearing gone as planned Wednesday. The hearing now is scheduled for Aug. 11, Lind said, so a decision will not be due until mid-November.

Peterson was convicted of killing his wife, Laci, and their unborn son, Conner, in 2004. A pregnant Laci disappeared from their Modesto home on Christmas Eve 2002, and her and Conner’s bodies were found in the San Francisco Bay 4 months later.

The case was moved from Stanislaus County to San Mateo County due to pretrial publicity.

(source: modbee.com)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

California woman collected $145,000 in jobless benefits using names of death row inmates Scott Peterson, Cary Stayner

By Melissa Hernandez
    Los Angeles Times

A Sacramento, California, woman has been charged with multiple counts of felony grand theft and forgery after she allegedly collected more than $145,000 in unemployment benefits using the identities of convicted killers Scott Peterson and Cary Stayner, the state attorney general’s office announced Wednesday.

From April 2020 to September 2021, Brandy Iglesias allegedly filed and collected unemployment benefits from the California Employment Development Department using the names of Peterson and Stayner.

“Don’t let the infamous names distract you from who this crime really hurt — the most vulnerable in our society,” California Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a statement. “EDD theft hurts families in need, parents left without jobs during a pandemic, and Californians struggling to get by. That’s why I’m thankful for my agents, and for our partners in the EDD and CDCR, for their work together on this case.”

Prosecutors said Iglesias worked for a private company that contracted with San Quentin State Prison, and it may explain how she was able to obtain access to prisoners’ personal information. According to the criminal complaint, Iglesias is charged with using Peterson’s identity to collect $18,562 in unemployment benefits in June 2020, and she later filed for additional benefits using Stayner’s identity, collecting $20,194.

Death row inmates Stayner and Peterson are serving life sentences in San Quentin. Stayner, a convicted serial killer, was sentenced to the death penalty in 2002 for the kidnap and murder of four women at Yosemite National Park in 1999. Peterson is facing the death penalty for the murder of his pregnant wife, Laci, and unborn son, Connor, in 2004.

Iglesias was arrested Saturday in Contra Costa County and was arraigned in Sacramento County Superior Court on Wednesday. She did not enter a plea and was ordered to be held on $20,000 bail pending an Oct. 26 court date.

California has one of the largest public benefits systems in the country, with more than 28 million unemployment claims filed across the state since March 2020, according to the state’s Employment Development Department website.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...jobless-benef/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Scott Peterson finally moved off California’s death row

Scott Peterson has been moved off death row more than 2 years after the California Supreme Court overturned his death sentence for killing his pregnant wife 2 decades ago, corrections officials said Monday.

Peterson was moved last week from San Quentin State Prison north of San Francisco to Mule Creek State Prison east of Sacramento. A new mug shot taken Friday shows Peterson, 50, with salt-and-pepper stubble compared to his previous clean-shaven look.

Jurors imposed the death penalty after convicting Peterson of the 1st-degree murder of Laci Peterson, 27, and 2nd-degree murder of the unborn son they were going to name Conner, dumping them into San Francisco Bay on Christmas Eve 2002.

The state’s high court overturned that sentence in August 2020 after finding that potential jurors were improperly dismissed for saying they personally disagreed with the death penalty but would be willing to follow the law and impose it.

A state judge is now considering if Peterson deserves a new trial after the justices separately said his jury may have been tainted by a biased juror.

Peterson was mainly kept at San Quentin during that monthslong hearing process in part so he would have better access to his attorneys.

(source: Associated Press)

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Sent to the same prison where Roger Kibbe and Gregory Miley were murdered at. I wonder if he’ll end up like them considering that one San Quentin documentary where several inmates said that Peterson wouldn’t last long in Gen Pop due to being considered a “prize”.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    One can hope!

Judge says decision to give Scott Peterson new trial will not require hearing

The judge who will decide whether convicted Modesto murderer Scott Peterson will get a new trial will no longer hold a hearing to announce the decision.

The hearing was originally scheduled for Friday, December 2, but now the judge says she will issue a written decision by December 16.

Peterson was convicted of killing his wife Laci and their unborn son, back in 2004. The case went back to court in 2020 after claims of juror misconduct.

In October, Peterson was moved off death row. That came more than 2 years after the California Supreme Court overturned his death sentence. He was moved from San Quentin State Prison north of San Francisco to Mule Creek State Prison east of Sacramento.

(source: CBS News)

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Scott Peterson loses new trial bid; convicted killer to remain behind bars for life

By Stephanie Pagones
    Fox News

Scott Peterson's bid for a new trial was denied on Tuesday, when a judge ruled that the man convicted of murdering his wife and unborn son was not warranted a new trial despite allegations of a biased and deceptive juror.

Judge Anne-Christine Massullo issued the long-awaited ruling on Tuesday, when she wrote in her 55-page decision that the juror accused of wrongdoing – Richelle Nice, otherwise known as "Juror No. 7" – had acted out of emotion, rather than a bias against Peterson, and she had made "honest mistakes."

"The Court finds that several of the answers provided by Juror No. 7 on her juror questionnaire were false in certain respects," Massullo wrote. "The Court concludes that Juror No. 7’s responses were not motivated by pre-existing or improper bias against [Peterson], but instead were the result of a combination of good faith misunderstanding of the questions and sloppiness in answering."

Massullo was originally scheduled to release her ruling by Dec. 16 regarding whether Peterson would be granted a new trial. But she suspended the deadline on Dec. 8, until attorneys could fix errors related to personal information that was left unredacted in recent exhibits.

Last Friday, she wrote that the issue was resolved after four exhibits were fixed to redact personal information.

Dec. 24 will mark 20 years to the day since Laci Peterson disappeared.

Meanwhile, Peterson, now 50, is currently serving a life sentence at California’s Mule Creek State Prison.

He was convicted in 2004 in the murders of his 27-year-old wife, Laci, and their unborn son, Conner. Prosecutors argued at the time that he killed Laci and disposed of her body on Christmas Eve 2002 in San Francisco Bay.

The California Supreme Court overturned Peterson’s death sentence in 2020 after news that prospective jury candidates were improperly dismissed came to light, but the court maintained his conviction.

Peterson was transferred from California's San Quentin State Prison to Mule Creek State Prison in October as he awaits his fate.

Peterson's attorneys have argued that a new trial is warranted because Nice was biased and lied in her questionnaire to get on the jury. Meanwhile, prosecutors have argued that Nice "did the best that she could when faced with a 23-page questionnaire that had 163 questions.

"She's inconsistent on her answers," prosecutor David Harris previously told the court. "But being wrong does not necessarily make it false or make her a liar. It just might be that she's really bad at filling out forms."

Nice previously testified that she did not have any bias against Peterson until after hearing the evidence presented at trial.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/scott-pet...hind-bars-life

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information