Thread: Daniel Scott Gentry Sentenced in 2012 AL Slaying of Carrie Elaine Gentry

Daniel Scott Gentry Sentenced in 2012 AL Slaying of Carrie Elaine Gentry

Carrie Elaine Gentry

Daniel Scott Gentry

Chelsea murder case continues, no trial date set

Daniel Scott Gentry, a 24-year-old Chelsea resident accused of murdering his grandmother, appeared before Judge Bill Bostick Sept. 9 for a motion hearing. No trial date has been set.

Gentry, after being charged with capital murder in 2012, pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect. In a hearing Sept. 9, Gentry’s attorneys asked for a trial date to be set for early to mid next year because of the large amount of evidence they would have to sift through.

Barry Alvis, one of Gentry’s attorneys, said they are in the process of gathering evidence from early years through the commission of the offense and thereafter, all pointing to “evidence of psychotic events.”

Bostick said his best guess for a trail date would be late January or early February, but they would revisit the issue at another motion hearing in late October.

Bostick also said they would revisit a motion filed by the defense to debar the death penalty at the Oct. hearing, when both the state and defense could make arguments for or against the motion.

Gentry, 24, of Chelsea, is accused of murdering his grandmother, Carrie Elaine Gentry, also of Chelsea. Carrie Elaine Gentry was reported missing March 29, 2012 and her body was found in a submerged vehicle in an abandoned Leeds quarry on April 10, 2012. Shelby County District Attorney Robby Owens said Carrie Elaine Gentry was allegedly stabbed, struck with a hammer and possibly strangled.

Daniel Gentry is being held without bond at the Shelby County Jail.

http://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/...rial-date-set/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Shelby County man accused of killing his grandmother gets new defense attorneys

A Chelsea man charged with capital murder for allegedly killing his grandmother in 2012 is getting different attorneys to handle his defense as his case could reach trial around the end of the year.

Daniel Scott Gentry, 26, requested new legal representation in a handwritten letter to Shelby County Circuit Judge Bill Bostick dated July 27. The request arrived after Gentry had filed handwritten motions to suppress evidence in his case in late June.

Bostick at the conclusion of a hearing on Monday afternoon granted the requested withdrawal of defense attorneys Barry Alvis and Scott Boudreaux.

Alvis in his Aug. 8 motion to withdraw as attorney stated that Gentry "has expressed displeasure with counsel's representation." Boudreaux in his motion dated Aug. 18 stated he had agreed to help Alvis represent Gentry.

Bostick during the hearing appointed Mickey Johnson and Victor Portella to represent Gentry. The judge said he would schedule a new arraignment for Gentry in the next three to four weeks.

Gentry in August 2012 pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect to the single capital murder charge contained in the indictment dated June 2012. The indictment accuses him of killing Carrie Elaine Gentry between March 28 and 29, 2012.

Carrie Elaine Gentry was a minister who allowed her grandson to live with her after he underwent drug rehabilitation.

The indictment alleges Daniel Gentry killed his grandmother by possibly stabbing her with a knife, striking her with a hammer, choking her or causing her asphyxiation with his hands or other object.

Carrie Gentry had disappeared about a month from her 65th birthday, and divers on April 10, 2012, located her inside her vehicle in about 40 feet of water in a Leeds quarry.

Bostick initially held a closed hearing on Monday afternoon with Alvis in attendance concerning his representation of Daniel Gentry, who had short dark hair and was dressed in bright orange Shelby County jail clothing with chains around his ankles and wrists.

Bostick said he wants to hold Gentry's trial in November, but he acknowledged the date may be "premature" and "impractical." With new counsel taking over Gentry's representation, Bostick said "some transition time is necessary."

The judge said he would hold several pending motions in abeyance until defense attorneys are ready to proceed. Although Gentry had already been arraigned and entered his pleas, Bostick wants to hold a new arraignment with Johnson and Portella representing him.

Bostick said the capital murder case means the potential punishment for Gentry if convicted includes the death penalty or life in prison without parole.

When the judge asked Gentry if he had any questions at the hearing's conclusion, the defendant replied, "Not right now, sir."

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...used_of_k.html

Shelby County capital murder case advancing to jury trial April 20

A Shelby County judge this afternoon denied an attempt by defense attorneys to strike down an indictment containing a capital murder charge against a Chelsea man accused of killing his grandmother in 2012.

Defense attorneys representing Daniel Scott Gentry, 27, argued before Circuit Judge William H. Bostick III that their client's indictment should not contain a capital murder offense based on the allegations in the case.

Bostick denied the motion argued by defense attorney Mickey Johnson of Pelham as Gentry's case proceeds to a jury trial set to begin April 20. The defendant continues to face a single charge of capital murder, which carries the death penalty as a potential punishment.

Gentry in August 2012 pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect to the capital murder charge contained in the indictment dated June 2012. The indictment accuses him of killing Carrie Elaine Gentry sometime on March 28-29, 2012.

Carrie Elaine Gentry was a minister who allowed her grandson to live with her after he underwent drug rehabilitation.

The indictment alleges Daniel Gentry killed his grandmother by possibly stabbing her with a knife, striking her with a hammer, choking her or causing her asphyxiation with his hands or other object.

Carrie Gentry had disappeared about a month from her 65th birthday, and divers on April 10, 2012, located her inside her vehicle in about 40 feet of water in a Leeds quarry.

Dressed in bright orange Shelby County jail clothes with chains around his wrists, ankles and waist, Daniel Gentry sat at a table and listened to the discussion about his case this afternoon. Also representing him is defense attorney Victor Portella, who also attended the hearing.

Johnson argued the alleged details of the crime do not constitute a capital offense. "I do not believe ... that there is any part of this particular offense that would make it a capital offense other than it occurred indoors" at the victim's residence, he told the judge.

The indictment alleges that Gentry committed murder when he was "unlawfully in a dwelling of another," which is the crime of burglary.

Because it was inside, "that doesn't make it any more egregious than if it occurred in a yard," Johnson said.

The prosecution, represented by Stephanie Billingslea and Leigh Gwathney of the Alabama Attorney General's Office, disagreed with the defense's argument.

"What makes this case a capital is that a murder was committed during the course of a burglary," Billingslea told the judge.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...l#incart_river
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Capital murder defendant: 'have mercy on me and save my family from a trial'

A Shelby County man accused of killing his grandmother in 2012 is seeking a plea agreement that would give him a life sentence with the possibility of parole and avoid the possibility of the death penalty, according to court documents.

In a letter filed May 15 in Shelby County Circuit Court, Daniel Scott Gentry, 27, expressed his desire for a plea deal to Shelby County Circuit Judge William H. Bostick III and prosecutors with the Alabama Attorney General's Office.

Gentry has been charged with capital murder in an indictment accusing him of killing Carrie Elaine Gentry sometime on March 28-29, 2012.

Carrie Elaine Gentry was a minister who allowed her grandson to live with herafter he underwent drug rehabilitation. She had disappeared about a month from her 65th birthday, and divers on April 10, 2012, located her inside her vehicle in about 40 feet of water in a Leeds quarry.

The indictment alleges Daniel Gentry killed his grandmother by possibly stabbing her with a knife, striking her with a hammer, choking her or causing her asphyxiation with his hands or other object. He has pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect.

"I cannot explain all of my thoughts at the time of this tragic incident, though a terrible mistake was made," Gentry wrote in the letter.

"Even though I know that I was not of sound mind I would like to respectfully request and I will respectfully accept a life sentence with the chance at parole and possible release," he wrote.

Gentry has handwritten several letters and motions filed in his court record in the case, and the handwriting in the latest letter matches other documents.

He had been scheduled for a trial on April 20, but his defense attorneys filed a request to continue the matter. Bostick granted the continuance, and a new trial date has not been filed in the court record.

Requests for comment from defense attorneys Mickey Johnson and Victor Portella have not been returned. The Alabama Attorney General's Office acknowledged receiving a request for comment about the case on Tuesday but has not provided an additional responded.

In Gentry's latest letter filed in court, he expressed concern about the handling of his defense.

"It has been over 3 years now I do not feel that waiting until a few weeks before trial is proper to handle all that is needed to be done in my case. No one except me has been requesting my medical records. And I feel a head exam is extremely necessary in my case," he wrote.

"I do not wish to go beyond my attorney's knowledge. But I am anxious and cautiosly [sic] preparing for the scenario that no plea agreement will be met because week and week goes by and no plea offer has been made," he wrote. "All this worries me because it's getting closer to an actual trial date."

He continued in the letter: "I am sending a request for a life sentence with the chance at parole and possibly release. If you will except [sic] my request for a life sentence with a chance at parole, please sentence me quickly. I am in solitary confinement and have been for over 9 months.

"However, I cannot except [sic] a life with out parole sentence. I am hoping your office will have mercy on me and save my family from a trial," Gentry wrote.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...l#incart_river
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen69 View Post
    and I will respectfully accept a life sentence with the chance at parole and possible release," he wrote.
    Very generous of him.

Gentry sentenced to life without parole for killing his grandmother

A Shelby County man charged with killing his grandmother in 2012 has been convicted of capital murder and sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange announced on Aug. 25.

Daniel Scott Gentry, 27, formerly of Chelsea, pleaded guilty to the March 28, 2012 murder of his grandmother, 64-year-old Carrie Elaine Gentry, at her home on Chelsea Road.

“According to information presented by prosecutors, Ms. Gentry’s son reported to the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office on March 29, 2012, that she was missing,” read a release from Strange’s office. “A search was conducted, but she could not be located. An investigation determined that Daniel Gentry was the last person to see her alive.”

Carrie Elaine Gentry’s body was found in a vehicle submerged in an abandoned Leeds quarry in April 2012. Former Shelby County District Attorney Robby Owens said she was allegedly stabbed, struck with a hammer and possibly strangled.

Daniel Gentry reportedly lived on his grandmother’s property, but not in her home. Investigators found blood in several areas of Carrie Elaine Gentry’s home that was linked to her by DNA.

Gentry was indicted on a capital murder charge and pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect to the charge during his arraignment before Circuit Judge Bill Bostick in July 2012. Bostick did not set a trial date during the arraignment, and said Gentry will have to have a mental evaluation by the state.

Earlier this year, Daniel Gentry had requested to be sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole in a letter filed in Shelby County Circuit Court and addressed to Bostick and the Alabama Attorney General’s Office.

“I am sending a request for a life sentence with the chance at parole and possibly release,” Gentry wrote in the letter. “If you will except (sic) my request for a life sentence with a chance at parole, please sentence me quickly. I am in solitary confinement and have been for over nine months. However, I cannot except (sic) a life with out parole sentence. I am hoping your office will have mercy on me and save my family from a trial.

“I do not feel that waiting until a few weeks before trial is proper to handle all that is needed to be done in my case,” Gentry continued. “No one except me has been requesting my medical records. And I feel a head exam is extremely necessary in my case. I do not wish to go beyond my attorney’s knowledge. But I am anxious and cautiously preparing for the scenario that no plea agreement will be met, because week and week goes by and no plea offer has been made.”

At the time of Gentry’s indictment in June 2012, Owens said Daniel Gentry entered Carrie Elaine Gentry’s home with intent to commit murder and burglary.

“I cannot explain all of my thoughts at the time of this tragic incident, though a terrible mistake was made,” Gentry wrote in the letter. “Even though I know that I was not of sound mind I would like to respectfully request and I will respectfully accept a life sentence with the chance at parole and possible release.”

As the investigation progressed, Daniel Gentry was interviewed and confessed to murdering of his grandmother in her home, the release read. He also admitted that he cleaned up the house and disposed of her body in the quarry, the Aug. 25 release read.

“This murder was a terrible violation of human decency that horrifies us all,” Strange wrote in the release. “At the very least, justice demands that he spend the rest of his life in prison, as provided by today’s sentence.”

Strange commended those involved in handling this case, including Assistant Attorneys General Stephanie Billingslea, Division Chief, Leigh Gwathney, Bill Lisenby and Kelly Godwin, all of his Criminal Trials Division, and Victims Service Officer Ashley Harbin of the Attorney General’s Office of Victim Assistance. Strange also thanked the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office for its investigation.

- See more at: http://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/....tASX8s4K.dpuf

Man who killed his grandmother in Shelby County found hanging in Alabama prison cell

By Carol Robinson
    AL.com

A Shelby County man who killed his grandmother seven years ago has taken his own life in an Alabama prison.

Daniel Scott Gentry, 31, was found hanging in his cell at William Donaldson Correctional Facility on Wednesday, authorities announced Friday. Jefferson County coroner’s officials said Gentry was found by correctional officers at 10:40 p.m. and pronounced dead on the scene at 10:56 p.m.

Gentry was serving a sentence of life without parole for the 2012 death of Carrie Elaine Gentry, a minister who allowed her grandson to live with her after he underwent drug rehabilitation. She had disappeared about a month from her 65th birthday, and divers on April 10, 2012, located her inside her vehicle in about 40 feet of water in a Leeds quarry.

According to court records, Daniel Gentry killed his grandmother by possibly stabbing her with a knife, striking her with a hammer, choking her or causing her asphyxiation with his hands or other object. He has pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect but later pleaded guilty to avoid the death penalty.

While he was in jail awaiting trial, Gentry wrote multiple letters to the court officials, including one in 2015 seeking the plea agreement. "I cannot explain all of my thoughts at the time of this tragic incident, though a terrible mistake was made," Gentry wrote in the letter. "Even though I know that I was not of sound mind I would like to respectfully request and I will respectfully accept a life sentence with the chance at parole and possible release."

In that letter, he wrote, "I cannot except [sic] a life without parole sentence. I am hoping your office will have mercy on me and save my family from a trial."

Earlier Friday, lawyers representing state inmates said the suicide rate in Alabama prisons has risen to a level that constitutes an emergency and that it shows the state is not fixing what a federal judge ruled in 2017 was an unconstitutional lack of mental health care for inmates.

Lawyers from the Southern Poverty Law Center held a news conference this morning in front of the Alabama State House and were joined by grieving family members of inmates who took their own lives in prison in the last year.

The SPLC said 13 inmates have committed suicide in Alabama prisons since December 2017.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...ison-cell.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information