Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inmates who "change" while on Death Row

Quote Originally Posted by Richard86 View Post
    undergo religious conversions, it's not anything special, but I think if there are tangible things that the condemned has done to pay back for their crimes
    As an atheist believing in sky fairies wouldn't be anything special, its actions that speak louder than words! Anyhow what happened to those secure supermax prisons?

Senior Member Member OperaGhost84's Avatar
    Gutless wonders like Mike Huckabee and Jon Corzine keep letting the criminals out of them.
    I am vehemently against Murder. That's why I support the Death Penalty.

What did Huckabee do?

I know he's a religious nut but he does favor the DP.

Weidmann1939
    Arkansas has carried out a total of 27 executions since Gary Gilmore in 1977

Of those 4 were carried out under Bill Clinton, 6 under Jim Guy Tucker and 16 under Mike Huckabee. The last one being in November 2005. No executions have been carried out under the current Democrat Governor.

Let's stick to facts and leave the tooth sucking snarky comments and simple minded condemnation about faith and religion to other more appropriate forums.

Senior Member Member OperaGhost84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKindExecutioner View Post
    What did Huckabee do?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouPDx6SDSTM
    I am vehemently against Murder. That's why I support the Death Penalty.

I don't know much about Huckabee, but the guy in the video is a windbag.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Weidmann1939
    Quote Originally Posted by OperaGhost84 View Post
    While I take "The Gentlemen's" point. The phrase "Irrational Exuberance" leaps to mind with regard to his general demeanor and deportment. He's probably not the best possible face put on these otherwise perfectly valid points. ( Where's the head shrink?, when people need one.)

Just to clarify, in addition to having been governor of Arkansas from 1996 to 2007, running for president in 2008 and hosting Huckabee on Fox News Channel, Mike Huckabee is an ordained Baptist minister. The last may have been a big factor in some controversial commutations and pardons he was involved with.
    Last edited by mostlyclassics; 06-12-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
    As an atheist believing in sky fairies wouldn't be anything special, its actions that speak louder than words! Anyhow what happened to those secure supermax prisons?
    That and great evil has been done in the name of religion (as well as great good.) Plus the fact that these religious conversions tend to attract support from fundamentalists of that religion (Karla Faye Tucker attracting support from Pat Robertson) and consequently imply that a conversion to a particular religion (and worse, a particular branch of that religion) is morally virtuous compared to conversions to other religions, which is an attitude we should not be encouraging in a secular legal system.

I'm not sure I know enough about the cases Huckabee oversaw, or how his record compares to other Arkansas governors, I find it a bit odd that he was irked by executing a woman apparently solely because the condemned was a woman though.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    Possible example of significant change warranting commutation: The last person sentenced to death in France (which had discretionary death sentencing), Phillipe Maurice, transformed himself into a renowned medieval historian while in prison.

------

In his twenties, Philippe Maurice was sentenced to death by guillotine for murdering a policeman. Saved by a change of government, he transformed himself through prison study into one of France’s leading medieval historians. William Smith reports.

On October 28th, 1980, death sentence was passed at the Paris Cour d’Assizes (central criminal court), the first time the penalty had been applied in France for seventeen years. In the dock stood a young man of twenty-four, Philippe Maurice, indicted for the murder of a police officer. In summing up, the president of the court, reciting the penal code, informed the accused that ‘everyone condemned to death will have their head cut off’. Justice was seen to be done and, in a scene reminiscent of a revolutionary tribunal, part of the court stood up and applauded. All that remained was for the law to take its grim course.

Staff at the prison at Fresne, Val-de-Marne, where Maurice was held, prepared the scaffold where this recalcitrant’s life would soon end, by guillotine, unless his counsel could secure a presidential pardon. With hardliner Valéry Giscard d’Estaing as president, this was highly unlikely in view of public opinion at the time. Eighteen months previously, during 1979, a wave of violent crime had shaken Paris, provoking fierce debate about capital punishment. Matters came to a head one night in early December when two gendarmes were killed in an incident near the Rue Monge on the Left Bank. One of the malefactors, wanted for car theft, was gunned down after shooting one of the officers. Maurice, his accomplice, had returned fire, fatally wounding a second policeman before being injured himself and arrested. ‘I opened fire out of fear and killed without wanting to, for the only time in my life,’ he writes in his autobiography, De la haine ŕ la vie (2001).

http://www.historytoday.com/william-...ast-redemption

------

I can unfortunately find very few English language sources for a more complete biography, however one crudely translated source I've found says he's never tried to seek forgiveness from his victim's family, saying that what he's done now doesn't erase what he did then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information