Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sirhan Sirhan - California

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Convicted RFK assassin Sirhan Sirhan stabbed in California prison - reports

By Alex Dobuzinskis
    Reuters

LOS ANGELES - Sirhan Sirhan, the Palestinian refugee found guilty of shooting U.S. presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy to death in 1968, was wounded in a stabbing at a California prison on Friday, according to media reports.

Celebrity website TMZ, citing unnamed sources, was first to report that Sirhan, 75, had been stabbed.

Replying to a request for confirmation that Sirhan was wounded, Jeffrey Callison, a spokesman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, said an inmate had been stabbed at the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility near San Diego.

The wounded inmate was taken to a hospital outside the prison and is listed in stable condition, Callison said in a statement, and a suspect has been identified in the assault.

In a follow-up email, Callison declined to identify the wounded inmate as Sirhan, citing department policy on not naming victims.

A jury in 1969 found Sirhan guilty of assassinating Kennedy the previous year by opening fire with a .22-caliber pistol into a small crowd surrounding the Democratic candidate in the pantry of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.

Kennedy, a U.S. senator from New York, was hit three times and died the next day. He was later buried at Arlington Cemetery, near his brother, President John F. Kennedy, who was assassinated in 1963.

Sirhan has said he fired at Kennedy because he was enraged by his support for Israel.

He was sentenced to death, but the sentence was changed to life in prison after California banned the death penalty for a time.

https://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFKCN1VL03Y

RFK assassin Sirhan Sirhan gets parole on 16th attempt

Sirhan Sirhan, the man convicted of assassinating Sen. Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, was recommended for parole on Friday. After spending 53 year in prison, the 77-year-old inmate's fate now rests in the hands of California's governor.

Two of Kennedy's surviving sons, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Douglas Kennedy, offered their support for parole during Sirhan's 16th appearance before the parole board Friday.

"I'm overwhelmed just by being able to view Mr. Sirhan face to face. I think I've lived my life both in fear of him and his name in one way or another. And I am grateful today to see him as a human being worthy of compassion and love," said Douglas Kennedy.

The two-person panel recommended parole, but said the decision is not yet final. Despite the recommendation for release, the board's decision could be reversed by California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who will review the case to determine if the parole grant is consistent with public safety, a process that could take a few months.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/27/us/si...ion/index.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    If Newsom is recalled, we will see if he dare preparing Larry Elder's reelection by issuing commutations before leaving office, somewhat a year before the 2022 regular election.

And if the state justices grant him a blanket assent to commute recidivists, we will see how that will affect their own reelection, or if they are subsequently recalled themselves.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 08-28-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

6 of Robert F. Kennedy's Children Say They Are 'Devastated' Father's Killer Was Granted Parole

"Our father's death impacted our family in ways that can never adequately be articulated," the family statement read

Six of Robert F. Kennedy's children are speaking out after the man who murdered their father was granted parole.

The decision was made on Friday, during Sirhan Bushara Sirhan's 16th parole hearing, after two of Kennedy's sons — Douglas Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. — supported his release, according to the Associated Press.

In a statement shared hours later, siblings Kerry Kennedy, Joseph P. Kennedy II, Courtney Kennedy, Christopher G. Kennedy, Maxwell T. Kennedy and Rory Kennedy wrote they are "devastated" by the decision.

"As children of Robert F. Kennedy, we are devastated that the man who murdered our father has been recommended for parole," the statement from the siblings began. "Our father's death is a very difficult matter for us to discuss publicly and for the past many decades we have declined to engage directly in the parole process."

"Given today's unexpected recommendation by the California parole board after 15 previous decisions to deny release, we feel compelled to make our position clear. We adamantly oppose the parole and release of Sirhan Sirhan and are shocked by a ruling that we believe ignores the standards for parole of a confessed, first-degree murderer in the state of California," they continued. "Our father's death impacted our family in ways that can never adequately be articulated and today's decision by a two-member parole board has inflicted enormous additional pain."

As the statement continued, the siblings wrote that they are "in disbelief that this man would be recommended for release."

"We urge the Parole Board staff, the full Board, and ultimately, Governor Newsom, to reverse this initial recommendation. It is a recommendation we intended to challenge every step of the way, and we hope that those who also hold the memory of our father in their hearts will stand with us," they continued as the statement concluded.

The California Parole Board now has 90 days to review the ruling before it is passed on to the Gov. Gavin Newsom for consideration.

During the parole hearing, Douglas Kennedy, who was a toddler when his father died in 1968, said he was "overwhelmed just by being able to view Mr. Sirhan face-to-face," the Associated Press reported.

"I think I've lived my life both in fear of him and his name in one way or another. And I am grateful today to see him as a human being worthy of compassion and love," he added.

"I would never put myself in jeopardy again," Sirhan said at one point during the parole hearing, , according to the AP. "You have my pledge. I will always look to safety and peace and non-violence."

Prosecutors did not attend the parole hearing or argue against Sirhan's release under a new policy from Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón, who implemented criminal justice reforms when he took office in December, The New York Times previously reported.

Robert F. Kennedy, who had served as the 64th attorney general before being elected, was mortally wounded in a shooting while leaving a campaign event for his presidency at the ballroom at The Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.

Sirhan was convicted of first-degree murder in 1969 and was sentenced to death. However, his sentence was commuted to life in prison three years later when the California Supreme Court outlawed capital punishment.

https://people.com/politics/6-of-rob...illers-parole/

This, friends, is a rare instance of rich "liberals'" policy preferences boomeranging and affecting them. RFK was a huge "liberal" who, if still alive, would doubtless champion the efforts by Soros DA's such as Gascon, Krasner and others, Governors, and activist judges to empty death rows and abolish capital punishment, let violent criminals back on the streets, and other actions meant to hasten the metastasis of the necrosis that has taken hold over our social and political corpus. Maybe one can argue that JFK allowed a federal execution, and that Democrats and "liberals" have gone far left since the days of RFK, but I would remind you that the current President has "evolved" not only to the point of opposing capital punishment after previously supporting it, but to the point of genuinely and unironically saying other such nonsense. Doubtless RFK too would have evolved on criminal justice issues.

Far too often, rich "liberals" such as the Kennedy Family,
    who foist "criminal justice reform," open borders, drugs, social and sexual decay, and other anathema to a well-constituted society upon us, insulate themselves from the consequences of their policies in their gated estates and mansions. And in this rare instance of the Ivory Tower nucleus being breached, they cry foul and expect the Stockholm Syndrome addled masses to feel sorry for them. Just as the politicians today who didn't care about the country burning all last summer, both literally and figuratively from the mass recession, expect us to care about their histrionics as they treat January 6 like a second 9/11.

If an elderly inmate who murdered the father, brother, friend, and loved one of us plebs were paroled, elites like the Kennedys wouldn't care. Perhaps they'd even cheer it as "progress." Well, I won't feel any outrage or sorrow that, every once in a while, the purveyors of progress must take their own medicine.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

What amazes me about the Kennedy family is that so many of them disappeared without a trace. Ted Kennedy is the only one I can think of that died from natural causes. Arnold Schwarzenegger was married to a Kennedy.
    Last edited by Neil; 08-28-2021 at 12:14 PM.

"Nobody should spend more than 20 years behind prison! OMG why did Chauvin only get 22 years?!"

"Commute Federal Death Row! See?! Dylan Roof got commuted and Brandon Bernard got executed! Two systems of justice in Amerikkka!"
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Ethel doesn't want him out. She should have the final say.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Ethel Kennedy states that RFK assassins “should not have the opportunity to fear again.”

By Dustin Tomlinson
    Ohio News Time

Robert F. Kennedy’s widow, Ethel Kennedy, said on Tuesday that “there should be no chance of terrorism again” after her husband’s assassin was offered parole last month. Kennedy, 93, said in a statement by Sirhan Sirhan, who was convicted of assassinating her husband in 1968. “He shouldn’t be paroled,” she said. Two California parol panels have recommended Sirhan to parol, but the decision is not final. The board’s decision may be revoked by Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom, who decides whether the grant is in line with public security. This process can take several months. Two of Kennedy’s surviving sons, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Douglas Kennedy, and Sirhan supported the release when they appeared 16 times before the parole committee, but some others in the family strongly opposed the move. bottom. “I was shocked by the ruling we believe that Sirhan Sirhan’s parole and release are categorically opposed and that he is ignoring the standards for parole of first-class murderers confessed in California,” said

Kennedy’s children Joseph. P’s statement last month said. .. , Courtney, Kelly, Christopher, Maxwell, Rory. s people. He took our father out of our family and he took him out of America, “they wrote. In 1968, Sirhan was sentenced to death for murder, but was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1972 after the California Supreme Court declared the death penalty unconstitutional. Sirhan’s lawyer, Angela Berry, has ruled with a focus on young clients. At the time of the murder — he was 24 — and his childhood. Explaining Sirhan as a Palestinian who became a refugee at the age of four, the memorandum states that “most of us witnessed the atrocities we see only in movies and the worst nightmares” before he emigrated. United States. At a hearing last month, Sirhan was asked what he thought of those who believed he was angry in prison for decades. “I totally disagree with them,” he said. “I am grateful that I saved my life from the gas chamber. I value my life very much …. I will never be in danger again.”

Robert F. Kennedy’s widow, Ethel Kennedy, said on Tuesday after her husband’s assassin was offered parole last month, “you shouldn’t have a chance to terrorize again.”

“Our family and our country suffered indescribable losses due to the inhumanity of a man,” Kennedy convicted in 1968 for assassinating her husband in 1968. Said in the statement received by Sirhan Sirhan. In life, but in tame his violence, he should not have the opportunity to fear again. “

“He shouldn’t be released on parole,” she said.

Two California parole commissions have recommended Sirhan to be released, but the decision is not final. The board’s decision may be revoked by Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom, who decides whether the grant is in line with public security. This process can take several months.

Two of Kennedy’s surviving sons, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Douglas Kennedy, supported the release during Sirhan’s 16th appearance before the parole committee, but some others in the family were on the move. I strongly opposed it.

“Given today’s unexpected recommendations by the California Parole Commission after the previous 15 decisions to refuse release, we feel we are forced to clarify our position. We are firmly opposed to Sirhan Sirhan’s parole and release, and the parole of a first-class murderer confessed in California last month, “said Kennedy’s children, Joseph P., Courtney, Kelly, Christopher, and Maxwell. , Rory’s statement said.

“But not only us, but six of Robert Kennedy’s nine surviving children, Sirhan Sirhan, committed a crime against our country and its people. He was our father. Was taken from our family and he was taken from the United States, “they wrote.

Sirhan shot Kennedy in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles after a campaign event in which Kennedy, who was nominated as Democratic presidential candidate in 1968, celebrated his first victory.

Sirhan was sentenced to death for murder, but was commuted to life imprisonment in 1972 after the California Supreme Court declared the death penalty unconstitutional.

Sirhan’s lawyer, Angela Berry, has filed a memorandum of understanding focusing on the young client at the time of the murder, 24, and his childhood. Sirhan explained that he was a Palestinian who became a refugee at the age of four, and before moving to the United States as a teenager, he said, “I witnessed the atrocities that most of us see only in movies and the worst nightmares. I did it. “

At a hearing last month, Sahan was asked what he would say about people who believed he was angry behind the bar for decades.

“I totally disagree with them,” he said. “I am grateful that I saved my life from the gas chamber. I value my life very much …. I will never be in danger again.”

Ethel Kennedy states that RFK assassins “should not have the opportunity to fear again.”

https://ohionewstime.com/ethel-kenne...-again/249457/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Sirhan Sirhan, RFK assassin, denied parole

CNN

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has denied parole for Sirhan Sirhan, the man convicted of assassinating Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, a news release from the governor's office said.

Sirhan was recommended for parole in August, after spending 53 years in prison for the 1968 killing. Two of Kennedy's sons, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Douglas Kennedy, supported the release during Sirhan's 16th appearance before the California Parole Board. But other family members, including RFK's widow Ethel, felt Sirhan should remain imprisoned.

Newsom decided to reverse the parole board's decision after determining that Sirhan "currently poses an unreasonable threat to public safety," a statement from the governor's office said.

"The Governor reached his decision based on several factors, including Mr. Sirhan's refusal to accept responsibility for his crime, lack of insight and accountability required to support his safe release, failure to disclaim violence committed in his name, and failure to mitigate his risk factors," the statement said.

In a Los Angeles Times Op-Ed explaining his decision, Newsom wrote that Sirhan had recorded his plans to kill Kennedy prior to the assassination and that decades after the killing, "Sirhan began dodging responsibility" and also recently dismissed the "relevance of his status as an ideological lightning rod."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/si...cid=uxbndlbing
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

RFK assassin Sirhan Sirhan asks to go home to live ‘in peace’

AP

The lawyer for Sirhan Sirhan, who assassinated presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, on Wednesday asked a judge to free him and played a recording of her client saying he is now dedicated to nonviolence and wants only to “return home to my brother and live the rest of our days in peace.”

Sirhan, 78, has spent 54 years in prison. In a 3 1/2-minute message played during a news conference held by his lawyer, he said he feels remorse every day for his actions.

“To transform this weight into something positive, I have dedicated my life to self-improvement, the mentoring of others in prison on how to live a peaceful life that revolves around nonviolence,” he said. “By doing this, I ensure that no other person is victimized by my actions again and hopefully make an impact on others to follow.”

It was the first time Sirhan’s voice had been heard publicly since a televised parole hearing in 2011, before California barred audio or visual recordings of such proceedings.

Sirhan shot Kennedy moments after the U.S. senator from New York claimed victory in California’s pivotal Democratic presidential primary. He wounded five others during the shooting at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.

Sirhan originally was sentenced to death, but that sentence was commuted to life when the California Supreme Court briefly outlawed capital punishment in 1972.

He was denied parole 15 times until last year, when a board recommended his release. But California Gov. Gavin Newsom rejected his freedom in January, saying that Sirhan remains a threat to the public and hasn’t taken responsibility for a crime that changed American history.

Sirhan’s attorney, Angela Berry, filed a petition Wednesday asking a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge to reverse Newsom’s denial. She said there is no evidence that Sirhan remains dangerous.

Sirhan’s younger brother, Munir Sirhan, has said his brother can live with him in Pasadena, California, if he is paroled. Sirhan Sirhan has waived his right to fight deportation to his native Jordan.

Berry filed a 53-page writ of habeas corpus asking the judge to rule that Newsom violated state law, which holds that inmates should be paroled unless they pose a current unreasonable public safety risk. Recent California laws also required the parole panel to consider that Sirhan committed the offense at a young age — 24 — and that he is now an elderly prisoner.

She is challenging the governor’s reversal as an “abuse of discretion,” a denial of Sirhan’s constitutional right to due process and as a violation of California law. She also alleges that Newsom misstated the facts in his decision.

Berry said the governor “acted with personal bias, incorporated the wrong law, ignored mitigation evidence, and did not afford Sirhan the same rights as others eligible for parole.”

The governor has cited RFK as his political hero and keeps RFK photos in both his official and home offices, including one of Kennedy with his late father. Berry accused him of politicizing the parole process.

Newsom’s office declined to comment.

Newsom overruled two parole commissioners who had found that Sirhan no longer was a risk. Among other factors, Newsom said the Christian Palestinian who immigrated from Jordan has failed to disclaim violence committed in his name, adding to the risk that he could incite political unrest.

The ruling split the Kennedy family, with RFK’s wife, Ethel Kennedy, and six of Kennedy’s nine surviving children opposing his parole.

“The political passions that motivated this inmate’s act still simmer today, and his refusal to admit the truth makes it impossible to conclude that he has overcome the evil that boiled over 53 years ago,” they wrote when Newsom rejected his parole.

They did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday’s court filing.

In his recording, Sirhan noted that one of his wounded victims, Paul Schrade, and two of Kennedy’s sons — Douglas Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. — supported his release.

“I’m humbled by their love and empathy as it very rare that an offender’s victims stand with them to support their freedom,” Sirhan said in a steady, unemotional voice during the recorded call made earlier this week from the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility in San Diego.

Jen Abreu, executive director of the rehabilitation program provider group Redemption Row California, said during the news conference that she helped coach Sirhan for 18 months before his parole hearing, helping him win a positive recommendation after so many denials.

“He needed help in being able to demonstrate these positive attributes,” Abreu said. “Sirhan has set a benchmark in prison-based rehabilitation” with no disciplinary reports in 49 years, she said. “To have an immaculate record for almost five decades is the exception, not the rule.”

Berry said the court process will take several months at a minimum, and either side could appeal. Sirhan is set for a new parole hearing on March 1 and she said the two could overlap and proceed simultaneously.

https://www.kktv.com/2022/09/28/rfk-...me-live-peace/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information