Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: William Brandon Aydelott Found Not Guilty in 2013 FL Slaying of Sharon Aydelott

Aydelott ruled not guilty by insanity

After almost three long years, a tragic case came to a close on Tuesday. William “Brandon” Aydelott, 20, was found not guilty due to a finding of insanity for the charge of first degree murder of his mother, Sharon Aydelott, 48. Based on evidence and testimony presented to the Court, Aydelott was found to still be a danger to society and qualified for involuntary commitment. He will now be in the custody of the Department of Children and Families and from there placed in a state mental health facility.

Presiding Santa Rosa County Circuit Judge John F. Simon Jr. spoke prior to delivering the verdict.

“Obviously this is a very tragic situation,” he said. “Ms. Aydelott, as the evidence has demonstrated, was killed by her son; a thing that frankly is just heartbreaking.”

In making its ruling, the Court relied upon video of Detective Monica Toole interviewing Aydelott the night the crime occurred, photographs of the crime scene supplied by SRCSO Sgt. Scott Haines, photographs of the autopsy presented by Chief Medical Examiner for District One Dr. Andi Minyard and testimony of Dr. Richard “Scott” Benson, the psychiatrist who has evaluated Aydelott on multiple oc- casions and diagnosed him with schizophrenia.

Dr. Benson quoted Aydelott as stating that this was “a good time to kill his mother.” He stated that he believed that Aydelott was forced to follow command hallucinations in carrying out the egregious act and that he felt Aydelott “believed clearly that he was doing ‘a right thing.’”

Dr. Benson concluded on cross examination by the State that Aydelott still presented a danger to the community and that he meets the criteria for involuntary commitment.

Much of the evidence was uncontroverted and the State did not refute Dr. Benson’s findings.

The judge trial was rather short, beginning just before 9 a.m. and ending around 1:30 p.m. with an hour recess in anticipation of Dr. Benson’s arrival (postponed due to a scheduling conflict) and a second hour recess for lunch while the Court made its determination.

Judge Simon said, “I complement the attorneys for working well and getting this evidence to the Court in a very efficient manner.”

Sister of Sharon Aydelott and Aydelott’s aunt, Pamela Hill, read a statement to the Court following the deliverance of the verdict.

“Sharon could make you feel like you were the most special person in the world,” Hill read as she recalled the kind of person she remembered her “baby sister” to be. She even recalled her persona the day she died stating, “She was not just in the Christmas spirit, she was the Christmas spirit.”

Hill also spoke about Sharon as a mother stating, “There is no love greater and stronger than a mother’s love” She recalled Sharon saying, “I just love being their (Brandon and Elizabeth “Biz”) mom.”

Hill said their mom, Aydelott’s grandmother, would always say of Aydelott, following Sharon’s death, “He is still my grandson and I love him.” And she more sadly spoke of her now estranged niece, Aydelott’s sister, “I’m sure she never dreamed of not having her momma or her brother.”

Judge Simon spoke to Hill regarding her statement saying, “It brings it home.” He said on a more personal note, while you never get over the loss of a loved one, you gradually learn to “just cope” with it.

The State said based on today’s outcome it is choosing ‘nolle pros,’ or to dismiss, the case against Aydelott for battery of an officer while incarcerated, as it has been determined that Aydelott was not in his right mind.

http://news.gulfbreezenews.com/news/..._insanity.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    I feel sad for the mom.
    Last edited by CharlesMartel; 08-28-2017 at 02:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information