Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Canada

Edited:

What Is The Incel Movement?

USA Online

The Guardian reported in November 2017 that Reddit had banned subreddit, Incels. At the time it was removed, there were over 40,000 members of the page. A common theme on those Reddit pages were “Chads,” men who have casual sex with women.

A Change.org petition that spread in the summer of 2017 accused the group of advocating rape with titles of pages on subreddit including, “All women are sluts” and “Reasons why women are the embodiment of evil.”

The Guardian report adds that users on the subreddit who were viewed as too friendly to women were warned and subsequently banned if their behavior didn’t degenerate. Women were commonly referred to as “Femoids” on the page.

According to a study from Grinnell College on the Incel Movement, another common name for women on the site is “Stacy.” The study reads, “The female counterpart of a Chad is called a “Stacy,” and she is viewed as unattainable.

Incels talk about Chads in a reverent way, while talking about Stacies in a hateful way. They strive to be Chads, but demean the Stacies Chad is allegedly having sex with.”

The Grinnell study adds that many in the Incel Movement subreddit were also active in alt-right pages such as “The Red Pill,” “Mens Rights” and “Men Going Their Own Way.”

A Quartz piece included words such as “femoids” and “Chad” as being part of a new alt-right dictionary. That same article mentions that some on the subreddit referred to Elliot Rodger as “Saint Elliot” because he “martyred” himself for the Incel cause.

https://usa-online-news.com/news/wha...ncel-movement/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

At their best, incels are cringeworthy. At their worst, you get people like Elliot Rodger and this guy.

Didn't know the history. Something well intended was twisted and perverted by bottom feeders it seems.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

This happened last night 10 minutes from my home.

‘There’s a man with a gun!’ Madness descends upon the Danforth

By Rosie Dimmano
    The Star

Tanya Wilson was locking up her tattoo shop on the Danforth, heading out for dinner with a friend.

It was just before 10 p.m.

She heard shots.

“I thought it was firecrackers.” She pauses. “No, that’s not true. I thought it was shots.”

Because we think that way now in Toronto, at the sound of hard cracks. Not firecrackers, not a car backfiring. Bullets.

Wilson glimpsed a white man with longish hair, the shooter, and hastily pulled back inside. “Honestly, it was all happening so fast, I didn’t know what to do.”

Suddenly, two people outside were banging on the front door, pleading to be let in.

In her panic, Wilson at first feared these individuals might have been allied with the gunman in some way, trying to force themselves into her business, Skin Deep.

Then she saw the blood.

Both the older woman and a younger man had been struck.

“They were freaking out, crying, ‘There’s a man with a gun!’”

Wilson hustled them indoors. Put each in one of her tattoo chairs and set about applying first aid, first fashioning a tourniquet above the bullet holes. Both — a mother and her adult son, she’d learn — had been hit in the leg, below the knee.

“I know how to handle blood,” Wilson told the Star. “I put on my medical gloves. Mostly it’s just using common sense.”

She turned off the lights, hoping anybody outside would think it was empty. Then all of them huddled for the half-hour before paramedics discovered them.

Four hours later, with the victims removed by ambulance, Wilson and her friend were still being held on the premises, waiting to be interviewed by police.

A block away, her tattoo teacher, Trevor Boucher, had pulled up in a vehicle, trying to talk his way past a police cordon on Logan. But only cops and first responders were being allowed through. Even those who live on the Danforth, trying to make their way home on a Sunday night, were being turned away, advised to find somewhere else to sleep on this maddened night.

Boucher worked the phones in three-way conversations, trying to calm Wilson. “I’m covered in blood!”

“Let me get my girl,” Boucher implored officers, to no avail. “Or let her come to me. She’s terrified.”

To the Star, he said: “She’s a hero. She saved people tonight.”

“It’s just so weird,” said Wilson, when the Star reached her. “I mean, we’re all aware of the shootings that have been happening around the city. But this is the Danforth, you know? It’s a beautiful neighbourhood with always lots of people on the street, walking around, going to restaurants, sitting on patios.

“How did it get so crazy?”

Wilson’s thoughts were with the little girl, 9 years old, rushed to emergency in critical condition, as police Chief Mark Saunders confirmed in a hastily called session with reporters, also revealing that a woman had been killed in the shooting spree, and a total of 13 wounded. Hours later, the SIU announced that a second victim had died.

At Second Cup, on the corner of Danforth and Hampton Aves., the owner was pointing out three bullet holes that had pierced the front window.

The small patio out front had been full of patrons, enjoying the mild evening.

“I was in the back so I didn’t see what happened,” said one employee. “But suddenly all these people were running through here.”

Directly in front of the Second Cup, police had placed upturned coffee cups, marking the spots where shell casings had been found — a dozen of them in that chunk of sidewalk alone.

Nobody inside had been injured.

Jessica Young, an employee, said she’d seen the shooter.

“He was probably no taller than me, wearing a black baseball cap, dark clothes. He had light skin. I think he had short facial hair. That’s all I could make out,” Young said, adding that the suspect appeared to have a pistol or handgun.

“I was shaken, terrified. It’s not every day you almost get shot.”

Another man: “I heard at least 20 shots, in intervals. Clippings spent, reloading, shooting.”

Other witnesses said the man had his shirt sleeves rolled up, had walked back and forth across Danforth, shooting indiscriminately, taking a shooter’s stance, as if he knew how to handle a firearm. It appears to have been a semi-automatic, with a magazine, given the volley of shots — multiple bang-bang-bang — with pauses in between.

“He was skinny but he had this horrible look on his face,” another witness told reporters, “like he was under the influence or something.”

The shooter was only some 10 feet away.

“I fell down. He ran across, kept shooting and ran down the street.”

In the small hours, video captured on cellphones began surfacing on social media. A man is seen firing into storefronts and cafés, walking westward through Greektown. A man on a mission, apparently.

At some points — the details are sketchy — there was an exchange of gunfire between the shooter and police. It’s unclear if the suspect turned the gun on himself or was killed by a cop, but dead he is. The Special Investigations Unit arrived on the scene, late. Danforth, closed off to traffic and the TTC, was crawling with cops for hours afterwards, including the Emergency Task Force. The bomb squad also conducted a controlled detonation of a package, which may have been the bag some witnesses said they saw the shooter carrying.

“We’re going to blow up a package now,” an officer warned onlookers milling around the Danforth-Broadview intersection.

The thump of that detonation could be heard for blocks around 1 a.m.

Saunders and Mayor John Tory tried to reassure the public. They’ve done a lot of that over recent weeks and months as blood has been spilled on the streets, in a playground, on the Entertainment District sidewalk, in Yorkville.

But this mass shooting has more a feel of random terror and malice, bringing to mind the van attack along Yonge St. in North York in April, — 10 dead, 16 with non-fatal injuries, some of them grievous.

What in God’s name is happening?

Murders, van attack, a lone gunman rampage, in a city that has always boasted of its safeness.

Madness descending.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star...-danforth.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Moh View Post
    I love this!
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Edited:

Fredericton shooting: Police say four dead, including two officers, suspect in custody

CTV News

Police say a suspect apprehended in connection with a shooting in Fredericton that left four people dead, including two officers, is now being treated for serious injuries.

Police tweeted that two Fredericton police officers were among the four people killed in a shooting in a residential neighbourhood in the New Brunswick capital. The incident occurred in the area of Brookside Drive between
    Main Street and Ring Road at approximately 7 a.m. local time on Friday morning. The names of the victims are not being released at this time, police said.

“Please appreciate this is a difficult time for their families and our colleagues,” police said in the tweet.

Just after 11 a.m., police confirmed there was no further threat and that lockdowns in the area were no longer required.

“Police still have the crime scene contained, and will be working the investigation for some time,” police said.

Police also said the suspect in custody is being treated for “serious injuries” related to the shooting incident.

Horizon Health Network said its Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital was treating “multiple victims” following the early morning shooting.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/fredericton-s...tody-1.4047483

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I love this!
    Nah...I like this one better.

Mr DressUp/Mr. Selfie aka Little potato head

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Sentencing hearing underway for serial killer Bruce McArthur

The 67-year-old self-employed landscaper was arrested in January 2018

The Canadian Press

A sentencing hearing for a serial killer who preyed on men in Toronto’s gay village is underway, with prosecutors saying they will lay out the details of his crimes for the court.

Crown attorney Michael Cantlon warned victims’ family, friends and others in the courtroom that the specifics of the murders by Bruce McArthur will be gruesome and may even cause some to be sick.

McArthur, 67, pleaded guilty last week to eight counts of first-degree murder.

The self-employed landscaper admitted he sexually assaulted and forcibly confined many of his victims before murdering them.

Police found victims’ belongings in McArthur’s apartment, including a bracelet, jewelry and a notebook.

They also found a duffel bag containing duct tape, a surgical glove, rope, zip ties, a bungee cord and syringes in McArthur’s bedroom along with the DNA of several victims inside his van.

“For years, members of LGBTQ community believed they were being targeted by a killer,” Cantlon told the court. “They were right.”

Police arrested McArthur a year ago and eventually charged him in the deaths of Selim Esen, Andrew Kinsman, Majeed Kayhan, Dean Lisowick, Soroush Mahmudi, Skandaraj Navaratnam, Abdulbasir Faizi, and Kirushna Kanagaratnam.

https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/...ruce-mcarthur/
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

'Canada’s new death penalty’: How the McArthur and Bissonnette cases put life sentences for mass killers in spotlight

By Alice Chiche
    Globe & Mail

The crime was monstrous, unheard of in Canadian history: A man enters a mosque, shoots six people dead because of their religion. The Quebec prosecutor asked for parole eligibility to be set at 150 years, reflecting “the height of social censure.” But a psychologist testified that Alexandre Bissonnette is not a psychopath, just a mentally ill, former victim of bullying who wanted people to stop laughing at him; he can be rehabilitated, the psychologist said. The defence lawyer pleaded for 25 years.

The sentencing on Friday of Mr. Bissonnette, 29, is a primal test of the justice system’s values in the postcapital-punishment era – and of a punishment some label “Canada’s new death penalty.”

It is not the only such test on Friday. In Toronto, a judge is to sentence 67-year-old serial killer Bruce McArthur for eight counts of first-degree murder, whose victims were mostly connected to the city’s Gay Village. The Crown has asked for parole to be set at 50 years, taking him to 116. The defence urged 25 years.

Beginning in 2011, Canadian judges were given the authority to stack up parole eligibility periods for mass killers – adding 25 years for each first-degree murder, if they choose to do so.

Since then, U.S.-style sentences – those that bear no relation to the human life span, that amount in effect to life without parole – have become the norm for mass killers.

And the Liberal government has not challenged the trend by undoing the law written by the Conservative government that preceded it, despite a review of sentencing reforms ordered by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in his 2015 mandate letter to his first justice minister.

It falls, then, to judges – in how they use their discretion, and in whether they find the law to be a justifiable use of state power, under Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Now some judges, though a minority, are publicly speaking up against the stacking of parole periods. And Mr. Bissonnette’s lawyer is launching a constitutional challenge based on the preservation of hope as a requirement of Canadian law. It is not the first such challenge – two previous ones have failed in Ontario’s lower courts – but it could yet be the one that winds its way up to the Supreme Court.

The sentencing of Alexandre Bissonnette and Bruce McArthur could mark a turning point – reinforcing the trend to a retributive, rest-of-life sentence, or pointing the country in a new direction.

Capital punishment’s hold on the Canadian justice system lasted until recent times. Until 1961, murder was automatically punishable by death, unless the federal cabinet commuted the sentence to life in prison. From 1867 to that point, just less than half of all death penalties were commuted. Murderers could be released on parole; the average time spent in prison up to 1961 for murder was just less than 20 years. The last two executions were in 1962.

Capital punishment ended in 1976 with a Parliamentary compromise: an automatic life sentence for first-degree murder, with no parole hearing for 25 years; and, in a nod to those who felt 25 years was worse than death, a “faint-hope clause” that gave killers, even multiple murderers, the right to apply to a jury after 15 years for an early parole hearing.

Bit by bit, that compromise fell apart. In 1997, a Liberal government rewrote the law to deny early parole applications to multiple killers. In 2011, the Conservative government of Stephen Harper killed the faint-hope clause, and then gave judges the discretion to add parole ineligibility periods together for mass killers. The idea was that killers should not receive a “sentencing discount” after the first killing.

“I think it helps increase people’s confidence in the criminal-justice system,” Conservative MP Rob Nicholson, who was the justice minister in 2011, said in an interview.

He also said the government sought to protect victims’ families from being revictimized at parole hearings. Paul Bernardo, for instance, who sexually assaulted and killed three teenage girls in the early 1990s, had his first parole hearing last September. In a victim-impact statement for herself, her husband and her son, Debbie Mahaffy, mother of murder victim Leslie Mahaffy, said it was “gut-wrenching” to have to prepare for it. “We have to relive Leslie’s pain and horror – our pain and horror – as if it happened yesterday.”

During Stephen Harper’s tenure as prime minister, Mary Campbell was a senior adviser on parole policy. She abhors the parole-stacking law, dubbing it the new death penalty.

“Look, these cases are indescribably horrible,” she says. “But the question is not, ‘What do they deserve?’ It is, ‘What do we deserve as a just and democratic society?' If we respond to a callous killing by doing the same thing in return, are we any better than the perpetrator?”

In 13 of 20 mass killings in Canada since 2011 in which at least one count of first-degree murder was involved, judges have set parole eligibility well beyond 25 years. (One who received just 25 years was Elizabeth Wettlaufer, an Ontario nurse who confessed to killing eight elderly patients; the Crown and defence made a joint submission on sentencing, saying she had spared the families of her victims a trial by pleading guilty.)

Travis Baumgartner of Alberta was the first mass killer to be punished under the new law, in 2013. An armoured car guard, he shot to death three of his co-workers in 2012. One killing was deemed first-degree murder, and two were second-degree; the Crown and defence together asked for parole eligibility of 40 years. He was 21 when convicted; he will have his first chance at freedom at 61.

Since then, parole eligibility ordered under the 2011 law would take the 57-year-old Douglas Garland to the age of 132, for the killings of a couple and their five-year-old grandson in Alberta; Boris Borutski, 60, to nearly 130, for the murder of three former female partners in Ontario; 40-year-old John Ostamas to 115, for beating to death three homeless men in Manitoba; Derek Saretzky, 24, to 97, for three killings, including a two-year-old girl, in Alberta; and Justin Bourque, 24, to 99, for shooting three RCMP officers dead in New Brunswick.

Earlier this month, though, an Alberta judge refused to impose more than one 25-year period on Laylin Delorme, who at 24 participated in two cold-blooded killings of convenience-store employees. The Crown asked for 50 years. There was no Charter challenge. Justice Robert Graesser of the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench simply used his discretion to say no.

But in doing so, he set out multiple objections to the law – that it destroyed hope, precluded rehabilitation, was unduly harsh and ignored the special circumstances of Indigenous offenders (Mr. Delorme is Métis).

“I have greater faith in the National Parole Board than did Parliament in 2011,” he wrote in his ruling.

In the United States, 50,000 people are serving life sentences without parole, for a variety of crimes, from murder to drug trafficking to non-violent property crimes; in Canada, the numbers are still small, and reserved for mass killers. On Friday, judges will look down on two convicted killers and decide whether this country’s worst crimes merit U.S.-style punishment.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-in-spotlight/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thank God the judge didn't fall for this autism bs.

Top row, left to right: Anne Marie D'Amico, 30, Munir Najjar, 85, Andrea Bradden, 33, Sohe Chung, 22, Betty Forsyth, 94. Bottom row, left to right: Eddie Kang, 45, Renuka Amarasingha, 45, Geraldine Brady, 83, Ji Hun Kim, 22, Dorothy Sewell, 80

Alek Minassian found guilty for killing 10 people in Toronto van attack after judge rejects NCR plea

Judge Anne Molloy rejected Minassian’s defence that his autism caused such mental deficits he did not know that mass murder was wrong

By Adrian Humpreys
    National Post

The man who drove a rented van down Toronto sidewalks trying to kill as many people as he could has been found guilty of murdering 10 people and attempting to kill 16 more.

Judge Anne Molloy resoundingly rejected Alek Minassian's controversial defence that autism caused such mental deficits he did not know that mass murder was wrong.

Molloy accepted Minassian was capable of knowing right from wrong when he rented a large van and drove it for 1.2 kilometres along sidewalks of Yonge Street in north Toronto on April 23, 2018.

Prefacing her public reading of excerpts of her 68-page verdict, Molloy said she would not be saying his name during the hearing because Minassian told psychiatrists he committed the acts to attain notoriety.

She referred to him as “John Doe.”

“Mr. Doe thought about committing these crimes over a considerable period of time and made a considered decision to proceed. His attack on these 26 victims that day was an act of a reasoning mind, notwithstanding its horrific nature and not withstanding he has no remorse for it and no empathy for his victims,” Molloy said.

Minassian will automatically receive a life sentence — but it is not yet known if Molloy will issue consecutive or concurrent parole ineligibility periods for his multiple murders.

She could sentence him to a minimum of 25 years for each murder, meaning a potential, although symbolic, sentence of 250 years in prison. The issue of the constitutionality of consecutive sentencing is set to be addressed by the Supreme Court of Canada.

Robert Forsyth, whose 94-year-old aunt Betty Forsyth died after being hit from behind by Minassian, welcomed Molloy’s verdict of guilty.

“I’m happy with the decision, although it’s hard to use the word happy when you lose a loved one like this,” he said. “It was clear he knew what he was doing.”

Elwood Delaney, whose grandmother, Dorothy Sewell, was also killed in Minassian’s attack, was similarly satisfied with the verdict.

“I’m relieved that he was found guilty on all charges,” said Delaney, who watched the proceedings from his home in Kamloops, B.C., with his wife and oldest son. “We now can start to close this awful chapter and try to move on to a new norm.”

Minassian, 28, of Richmond Hill, Ont., was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder as a child. Facing overwhelming evidence that he deliberately perpetrated the van attack, his sole defence was a claim of being not criminally responsible for it due to a mental disorder.

It is a legal defence reserved for significant mental breaks that render an accused incapable of knowing or understanding what they were doing, or that it was morally wrong. It is what used to be called the “insanity defence.”

Autism had never before been argued in court in Canada as grounds for a not criminally responsible (NCR) verdict and Minassian’s claim drew condemnation from autism support groups.

In her written judgment, Molloy accepts autism could be a possible root for an NCR defence in theory, but not in this specific case.

“Everything depends on the particular circumstances of the individual and how they are affected by their disability,” she writes.

Autism support groups expressed relief the court did not accept Minassian’s defence that autism can be a reason or motivation for violent attacks.

“Autism does not predispose people to criminality, nor to the incapacity to make moral distinctions,” Dermot Cleary, Autism Canada chairman said after the verdict. “People on the Autism Spectrum are far more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators of it.”

In her verdict, Molloy said that Minassian “knew that his plan to run down and kill people constituted first-degree murder and that if arrested, he would go to jail for the rest of his life. That is why his plan was to ‘die-by-cop.’ Death being preferable to jail.”

“Mr. Doe knew that the vast majority of people in society would find an act of mass murder to be morally wrong. However, he apparently wanted to achieve fame and notoriety, believing that even negative attention for his actions would be better than to live in obscurity.

“He had been fantasizing about a crime such as this for over a decade.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/toront...nto-van-attack

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information