Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angelina Rodriguez - California Death Row

Angelina Rodriguez - California Death Row

Jose Francisco Rodriguez

Angelina Rodriguez

Summary of Offense:

Rodriguez tried at least three times to kill her husband Frank, finally succeeding, on September 9, 2000, by spiking his Gatorade with antifreeze. Her motive was a $250,000 life insurance policy. She was also convicted of threatening a witness to whom she had revealed her plan to kill Frank. The prosecution also proved in aggravation that Rodriguez had killed her baby in 1993 by breaking a pacifier and ramming part of it down the baby’s throat, and then bringing a tort suit against the manufacturer. While the defense lawyer stated to the press after the case that he couldn’t find much of a defense on the guilt/innocence issue, Rodriguez insisted to the judge that she had not committed the crime, and that Frank must have drunk the antifreeze on his own. In mitigation, the defense presented evidence that she had been sexually abused as a child.

Rodriguez was sentenced to death in Los Angeles County on January 12, 2004.

January 13, 2004

Woman Sentenced To Death For Husband's Poisoning Murder

LOS ANGELES -- A 35-year-old woman was sentenced to death Monday for poisoning her husband with a combination of antifreeze and an oleander plant.

Angelina Rodriguez, of Montebello, will become the 15th woman on California's death row unless her sentence is altered by the state Supreme Court on appeal. Death penalty cases are automatically appealed under state law
    In sentencing Rodriguez, Superior Court Judge William Pounders called the murder "the coldest killing I've ever seen."

"In the past 20 years, I've never seen a colder heart," Pounders said. "She seemed to have no care for the agony of her husband."

"Her conduct in administering poison to her husband over a week's time was exceptionally cruel and callous," the judge said. "Her attempt to blame the murder on an innocent third party and to persuade (a witness) not to testify against her and later her attempt to have that witness murdered exposed an abandoned and malignant heart uncaring for anyone but herself."

Jurors in Los Angeles found her guilty in October of murdering her schoolteacher husband, Frank, in September 2000 to get his $250,000 life insurance policy. A jury of seven men and five women deliberated for about a day before deciding last December Rodriguez should be executed. Many said their decisions were influenced by her lack of remorse.

In a lengthy statement Monday, Rodriguez maintained her innocence and suggested her husband poisoned himself.

"I don't have remorse for a murder I didn't do," she said.

Frank Rodriguez, a 41-year-old teacher for the Los Angeles Unified School District, died Sept. 9, 2000.

Prosecutors believe that Rodriguez put enough poisonous oleander in her husband's meals to send him to the hospital and then killed him at home by lacing his Gatorade with antifreeze. A medical toxicologist had testified that oleander root, bark and flower can be converted into a highly toxic liquid through boiling.

"She's a remorseless, cold-blooded killer, and that's why she's in the position she's in," Deputy District Attorney Doug Sortino said outside court. "Even to this day, she refuses to accept any responsibility for what she did.

It's all about her, and that's why she killed him ... It's all about her, and she wanted the money."

Rodriguez was also under investigation in Santa Barbara County for the 1993 death of her 13-month-old infant daughter, who died after swallowing part of a pacifier, Sortino said.

A call to Rodriguez's attorney was not immediately returned Monday.

Source

This sick demented lady was on "Happily Never After" on ID tonight. She is truly one evil black widow and shows why we ALWAYS need the DP!

Senior Member CnCP Legend JimKay's Avatar
    Antifreeze is the new poison of choice!

Intentional Ethylene Glycol Poisoning Increase after Media Coverage of Antifreeze Murders

The media can have a profound impact on human behavior. A sensational murder by ethylene glycol (EG) poisoning occurred in our state. The regional media provided extensive coverage of the murder. We undertook this investigation to evaluate our incidence of EG poisoning during the timeframe of before the first report linking a death to ethylene glycol to shortly after the first murder trial.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3117604/

She even suffocated her BABY with a pacifier just to get insurance money plus she got a $750,000 settlement eventhough she was never arrested for that!

I can't believe the pacifier company agreed to pay that!

Miss Englander
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKindExecutioner View Post
    This sick demented lady was on "Happily Never After" on ID tonight. She is truly one evil black widow and shows why we ALWAYS need the DP!
    I certainly won't be standing up for her but really? What about those who aren't guilty

That is what the appeals process is for. And just because Reprieve says someone is innocent doesn't make it true. When you can find an innocent person on death row, argue your point on that individuals thread. Your generalization that there are innocents on America's death row doesn't need to be mentioned in all of your posts. We get your assertion!
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Miss Englander
    Surely I am permitted to type it in whichever, and how many posts as I see fit, depending to whose opinion/post I am replying to. Is it offending you? Do our countries (US and UK) not believe in free speach?

Because you believe strongly in the DP you don't seem to like the alternative being viewed. A little biased for an Administrator is it not? You say "because reprieve says someone is innocent doesn't make it true". Can that not be said the t'other way around Heidi. Non?

The facts are that yes there are some dispicable human beings who comit unthinkable and heinous crimes. People who I care not for, whose safety or lives I care not for. I don't think they should breathe the same air asa the rest of us. People who shouldn't see the light of day again. I don't even care if they die a horrid death! BUT until it can be proven 110% that all deaths by the state were/are just, that all those put to death were/are guilty, then the DP is wrong. I am sure a high majority were/are guilty but a high majority is not 110%. If we could be 110% then I would be for the death penalty in certain cases/crimes. If I have to say this a hundred times in response to others, on this forum, then I shall.
    Last edited by Miss Englander; 07-16-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Heidi is trying to say that these threads are related to specific death row inmates and are not for general discussion of the death penalty. We know from experience, both here and previously elsewhere, that allowing every inmate-specific thread to be dragged off topic into generic debate is not conducive to the smooth operation of the forum. This is not a freedom of speech issue. You are welcome to maintain your assertion that there are innocent people on death row, but unless I am mistaken you have no evidence that Angelina Rodriguez is innocent and are not seeking to raise that argument. My learned friend Moh asked you in your introduction thread which inmates on death row are innocent and you have not replied to him. Ensuring that discussion takes place in the appropriate part of this forum is what administrators and moderators are for. It is not "bias."
    "I have adopted the Italian way of life... I may stab you!"
    — Heidi

"You make the British Lion seem like a declawed, toothless, neutered fat tabby with the mange."
    — Weidmann1939

"Maybe you think your being clever."
    — Weidmann1939

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Englander View Post
    Surely I am permitted to type it in whichever, and how many posts as I see fit, depending to whose opinion/post I am replying to. Is it offending you? Do our countries (US and UK) not believe in free speach?
    Surely you may not! Refer to Crime and Capital Punishment Site Rules

* Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.
    * Posts arguing about Crime and Capital Punishment policies are not allowed. Message an Administrator or Moderator with your grievance
    * Moreover, while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way
    * We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our forums is a privilege and not a right.

So prove your allegations with facts instead of useless banter. This is your only warning!
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information