Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin Gregory Myers - Ohio Death Row

Austin Myers guilty of all counts in murder trial, eligible for death penalty

LEBANON, Ohio — A jury has found Austin Myers guilty on all counts in the murder of Justin Back in Warren County.

Myers, 19, was found guilty of aggravated murder, aggravated murder with specifications, kidnapping, aggravated burglary, aggravated robbery, theft of a firearm, tampering with evidence, safe cracking and abuse of a corpse.

Justin Back was killed during a burglary in Wayne Township in January.

Two men were charged in the case. Myers' trial concluded Wednesday. He faces the possibility of the death penalty.

Timothy Mosley was also facing the death penalty, but agreed to testify against Myers in order to avoid the death penalty.

Myers’ attorney didn't call any witnesses and rested his case Wednesday morning. Myers sat emotionless with his arms crossed in court as the verdict was read.

Assistant prosecutor John Arnold began his closing argument against Myers, saying "He chose to kill."

"He selected Justin as his target and he carried out his plan. That's why we're here today," Arnold said.

But Myers' attorney called Mosley a liar and said "Timmy (Mosley) has a reason to save his own skin at this point."

Jurors deliberated for about five hours Wednesday afternoon and declined to have dinner brought in.

The jury asked for clarification on three counts.

The judge told the jury to take a few days off and the trial would continue with the sentencing portion on Monday morning.

The jury can sentence Myers to three sentences of life in prison or the death penalty.

The sentencing portion could take up to two days.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/jurors-begi...campaign=wlwt5
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Ohio teen could face death penalty

LEBANON, Ohio (AP) - Jurors in a southwest Ohio county will decide whether to recommend a death sentence for a 19-year-old man convicted in the slaying of a U.S. Navy recruit.

If Austin Myers is ultimately sentenced to execution, he would become the youngest person on Ohio's death row. He's about five years younger than the youngest death-row inmate currently, according to the Dayton Daily News (http://bit.ly/1vIGlVu).

The same jury in Lebanon that found Myers guilty last week of charges including aggravated murder will hear evidence beginning Monday and then recommend whether he should be executed or sentenced to life in prison. The judge will have the ultimate decision.

Myers was convicted of killing 18-year-old Justin Back during a burglary in January at Back's home and disposing of his body several counties away.

http://www.fox19.com/story/26711507/...-death-penalty
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Convicted killer asks jury to spare his life

Convicted killer Austin Myers took the stand Monday and asked the jury that will consider imposing the death penalty to spare his life instead.

Myers, 19, faces the death penalty or up to life in prison for killing a 2013 Waynesville High School graduate who was a week away from entering the military.

"If you choose for me to die, it's only going to cause more pain and suffering for another family, not me," Myers told jurors, referring to his family. "It won't hurt me. I won't feel anything."

"I want to help people. I want to help stop tragedies like this from happening. All I'm asking for is a chance for me to become a better person," he said.

A Warren County jury last week convicted Myers of aggravated murder, kidnapping, aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary, grand theft of a firearm, tampering with evidence, safe cracking and abuse of a corpse.

Myers and Timothy Mosley, 19, are accused in the Jan. 28 killing of 18-year-old Justin Back at his Wayne Township home.

Authorities said Mosley and Myers visited Back the day before the slaying at the home he shared with his parents to case the home for a burglary.

The two returned Jan. 28 and watched movies with Back before attacking him in the kitchen of the Corwin Road home. Investigators said they tried to choke Back before stabbing him repeatedly.

Mosley and Myers then took a gun, a safe and some of Back's clothing from the home to make it look like Back had run away. They dumped Back's body in Preble County.

Mosley testified against Myers during the trial in an agreement with prosecutors that removed the death penalty from his possible sentence.

Gregory Howard, Myers' attorney, urged jurors to consider a "more complete picture" of the teen. His mother, Danielle Copeland, described Myers as a gifted student and piano player who began to harm himself following his parents' divorce while he was in middle school.

Copeland teared up as she told the jury that Myers continues to play a role in the lives of his five younger siblings.

"I'm very much hoping you'll consider a life option because my kids need him. We need him to be part of our family and they don't understand any of this. None of us do," she said.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...life/16805915/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    "I'm very much hoping you'll consider a life option because my kids need him. We need him to be part of our family and they don't understand any of this. None of us do," she said.
    I'm betting the victims families would like their son back in their life too and needed him in their family...

Jury recommends death for convicted killer Austin Myers

LEBANON — The jury in the case of Warren County killer Austin Myers recommended the death penalty Monday night.

Myers was convicted of killing 18-year-old Justin Back during a burglary in January at Back's home and disposing of his body several counties away.

If the jury's recommendation is ultimately approved by the judge, Myers, 19, would become the youngest person on death row in the state of Ohio.

Myers took the stand earlier in the day Monday asking the jury to spare his life.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/jury-recomm...myers/28980862

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Austin Myers: Judge to rule on whether teen killer will get death penalty

LEBANON, Ohio – A Warren County judge will make a decision Thursday to sentence a 19-year-old killer to the death penalty or to spare his life.

In a previous hearing, a jury recommended Austin Myers be sentenced to death for his role in the fatal stabbing of 18-year-old Justin Back.

The jury's decision came after the mother of Austin Myers, 19, pleaded for her son's life.

Myers also asked jurors to spare him on behalf of his family.

"It's only going to cause more pain and suffering for another family," Myers said.

The jury took about six hours to decide he deserved to die but Judge Donald Oda II will have the final say at the hearing slated to begin at 10:30 a.m.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/austi...-death-penalty

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Judge sentences 19-year-old man to death for killing teen, will be youngest on Ohio death row

A southwest Ohio judge has sentenced a 19-year-old man to death for the slaying of an 18-year-old U.S. Navy recruit.

Warren County Common Pleas Judge Donald Oda (OH'-duh) on Thursday followed the jury's recommendation for Austin Myers, to make him the youngest inmate on Ohio's death row. He's about five years younger than the next-youngest person awaiting execution.

Myers was convicted of aggravated murder for the death of Justin Back, who was about to enter the Navy. Back was killed in a burglary and his body dumped in a rural county. Another youth involved will face life in prison after prosecutors dropped death penalty specifications in exchange for his testimony against Myers.

Myers had urged that his life be spared for his family's sake.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/sto...y-Teen-Killed/

Related

Illness delays teen killer's sentencing

LEBANON, OH (FOX19) - The sentencing of a convicted Warren County killer was delayed Friday for six weeks after he fell ill during the hearing.

Timothy Mosley - one of two men accused of killing Justin Back, 18, of Waynesville earlier this year - pleaded guilty and has testified against his co-defendant, Austin Myers, as part of a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Prosecutors are pushing for life in prison without the possibility of parole. Warren County Common Pleas Court Judge Donald Oda has the final say.

Mosley and Myers, both 19, admitted to creating an elaborate plan to kill Back, a U.S. Navy recruit. Back was killed in a burglary. After, the teens dumped his body in a rural area.

Myers became the youngest inmate on Ohio's Death Row Thursday when Oda followed the jury's sentencing recommendation.

http://www.fox19.com/story/26813152/...ers-sentencing

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related

Victim's mother speaks at killer's sentencing

LEBANON, Ohio (WKRC) -- The second of two men, who killed an 18-year-old in Waynesville, officially enters his guilty plea.

Timothy Mosley pleaded guilty Friday to choking, stabbing, and shooting Justin Back last January. Mosley and Austin Myers killed him during a burglary and dumped his body in Preble County.

Mosley agreed to the plea deal and testified against Myers, who convicted and sentenced to death. In exchange for his testimony, Mosley is expected to receive a sentence of life without parole.

Justin Back's mother spoke at the hearing. "I will never, never understand how you could stab my son 21 times without a thought when he did nothing to you. If not for Justin, why didn't you think about what this would do to your family?"

Mosley became physically ill during today's hearing, forcing the court to take a break. He'll be sentenced in about six weeks.

Myers became the youngest person on Ohio's death row, when he was sentenced for the murder Thursday.

http://www.local12.com/news/features...ng-19338.shtml

Related

Co-defendant in Navy recruit's murder to be sentenced

A man who pleaded guilty last month to the murder of an 18-year-old U.S. Navy recruit is set to be sentenced Wednesday morning in Warren County Common Pleas Court.

Timothy Mosley, 20, is expected to receive a sentence of life in prison without parole for the Jan. 28 murder of Wayne Twp. teen Justin Back.

Mosley, of Dayton, had faced a potential death sentence, but agreed to a deal requiring him to testify against co-defendant Austin Myers in exchange for removing the death penalty from his possible sentence.

Myers, 19, became the youngest inmate on Ohio's death row when a judge sentenced him to the death penaltyon Oct. 16.

Myers and Mosley visited Back at his home on Corwin Road Jan. 28 and watched movies with him before attacking him in the kitchen. Investigators said they tried to choke Back before Mosley stabbed him 21 times as Myers watched and ignored his pleas for help.

Mosley and Myers then took a gun, a safe and some of Back's clothing from the home to make it look like Back had run away. They dumped Back's body in Preble County.

Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell previously told The Enquirer he struck a deal with Mosley in order to better secure a death penalty conviction for Myers, who targeted Back and concocted multiple and elaborate plans for carrying out the crime.

Back, a 2013 Waynesville graduate, was set to enter the military the week after his murder. His parents, Mark and Sandy Cates, have created a "Pay it Forward, Justin-style" campaign calling for random acts of kindness and are working with legislators to pass a new law calling for tougher sentences for those convicted of aggravated murder in Ohio.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...nced/18863769/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information