Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Gene Romero - California

Romero's habeas case has been fully briefed before the California Supreme Court since October 30, 2012.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...doc_no=S197824

On March 21, 2016, the US Supreme Court DENIED Romero's certiorari petition on direct appeal.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of California
    Case Nos.: (S055856)
    Decision Date: August 27, 2015
    Rehearing Denied: October 14, 2015

http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.a...es/15-7799.htm

Junior Member Stranger
    I just want to let everybody know that I am horrified with the crimes that Orlando and Christopher have committed. I do not defend their actions in anyway and I am disgusted with what I read and what I've heard regarding the details of their crimes. I was not engaged to nor was I with Orlando during the time these crimes were committed or even for the previous year. We had broken up when he began getting physical with me. I pray for The victims and families affected by these heinous crimes. My son is now 26 and about ready to be a father for the first time to his own son. He still has yet to deal with the situation and crimes that his father and uncle have committed. It has caused him to become angry in a lot of ways that I'm not sure he totally understands yet. My prayers are also with him that someday he will find peace. Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my questions and concerns. God bless you

March 2, 2016

Related:

By Beatriz Valenzuela
    Redlands Daily Facts

20-year-old homicide of Rialto grandmother may be linked to Redlands man’s murders

RIALTO - The 20-year-old cold case homicide of a Rialto grandmother may be connected to the slaying of a Redlands man killed more than two decades ago in San Timoteo Canyon.

“They played with him before they killed him,” said Rialto Police Detective Sgt. Paul Stella of the death of 22-year-old Jose Aragon. “When they shot him, they asked him, ‘Does it burn? How does it feel to be shot?’ ”

Aragon was fatally shot on Nov. 25, 1992 by Orlando Romero, then 24, and his younger brother, Christopher Self, 21 at the time, both of Mead Valley.

The brothers were arrested and convicted of killing two additional men. Self also was convicted of four attempted murders, including the shooting of an off-duty Ontario police sergeant in Moreno Valley.

Stella believes the brothers may be linked to the fatal shooting of 61-year-old Helen Alvarez and the wounding of her daughter, Sonia Alvarez, 31, gunned down in the driveway of their shared mobile home at the Santiago Parkside Estates mobile home park at 155 S. Riverside Ave. on March 3, 1996.

Sonia Alvarez was dating Romero at the time and the women had just returned from visiting him at a Riverside jail when they were both shot.

“We think he caught wind that she was about to testify against him and that’s why they were targeted,” said Stella. “This is a very involved case and unfortunately, because people are scared and are unwilling to come forward, it’s been a difficult road.”

Alvarez’s family members declined to be interviewed for this report. Romero and Self are currently sitting on death row for the chilling crime spree.

At the time of the double-shooting, Self and Romero were facing multiple murder, attempted murder and robbery charges for a terrifying random crime spree in western Riverside County from October to December 1992.

The brothers were convicted of the execution-style killings of Joey Mans, 26, and Timothy Kipp Jones, 24, both of Riverside, on Oct. 12, 1992, near Lake Mathews.

About a month later, Aragon, who was in his coveted classic Studebaker pickup truck and riding his motorcycle in an off-road area of San Timoteo Canyon, had the misfortune of crossing paths with the bothers.

“They pretended to be friendly to him, asking him about his motorcycle, asking him to do some tricks, all the while planning on killing him,” Stella said.

The two finally killed the man.

Two others, Jose Munoz and Daniel Ray Chavez, then 21, also of Mead Valley, were also arrested in connection to the crime spree and convicted.

During an appeal filed by the brothers, Aragon’s family noted how the 22-year-old’s death had devastated the family, according to a brief filed with the Riverside County Superior Court in 2008.

The brief described how his stepmother, Lydia Aragon, often thinks of the last moments of Jose Aragon’s life and how he was left alone to die in the bed of his own pickup truck.

When investigators returned the truck to the family, there were bullet holes in it and some of Jose Aragon’s blood still stained the bed of the truck, the brief goes on to say.

Friends of the 22-year-old, Lydia Aragon said, banded together and restored the truck to mint condition and even purchased custom license plates reading “Hoz,” Jose Aragon’s nickname.

Last summer, the California Supreme Court affirmed the brothers’ 1996 death sentences.

Since the fatal shooting, Sonia Alvarez moved out of California. She never testified at the brothers’ trial.

“They’re scared even after all this time,” said Stella. “Whoever did this is still out there.”

Soon after the double-shooting, frightened relatives hesitated to tell investigators where Sonia was and they didn’t even let officials know where their mother was buried, according to media reports at that time.

“I just need someone to give me that one call, and they can remain anonymous; that can be that missing link to this puzzle,” Stella said.

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/ge...s-mans-murders
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Here are additional details of the case. They are horrendous. If the briefs are online at the court site, there will be even more horrendous facts.

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinio...mero-and-self/

On April 25, 2020, the California Supreme Court DENIED Romero's habeas petition.

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....hSMCAgCg%3D%3D

On May 27, 2020, Romero filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ca...cv04717/783699

dpatty5
    Quote Originally Posted by tpg View Post
    Orlando and his brother also shot an officer during a carjacking attempt.
    This is incorrect. The brother and another person were involved; Orlando was not present, had nothing to do with it, and was not charged.

It amazes me that there are all of these animals preying on innocent folks in California, and Newsome won't do his duty and follow California laws.
    "I am the warden! Get your warden off this gurney and shut up! You are not in America. This is the island of Barbados. People will see you doing this." Monty Delk's last words.

State prison official: San Quentin death-row convict dies in hospital of apparent COVID-19 complications

Coroner will determine cause of death later this week

By George Kelly
    Mercury News

SAN QUENTIN — A 48-year-old man convicted of murder and robbery died Sunday of apparent COVID-19 complications, state prison officials said.

Death-row inmate Orlando G. Romero had been receiving treated at an outside hospital, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation officials said. A coroner will pronounce an exact cause of death for Romero later this week.

Romero had been on death row since Sept. 4, 1996, a week after his Riverside County sentencing for first-degree murder and second-degree robbery while armed with a firearm, as well as three life-with-parole sentences for attempted first-degree murder armed with a firearm, attempted first-degree murder with other offenses, and kidnapping/robbery while armed with a firearm and several robbery offenses.

Since June, several San Quentin prisoners have been sent to Bay Area medical centers for treatment in the wake of a COVID-19 outbreak that has sickened more than a thousand prisoners.

In an ongoing campaign, protesters have sought support to ease the pandemic’s deadly impact within state prison facilities, not only on its inmates but also vulnerable staff members.

Romero was one of 715 people awaiting execution on California’s Death Row, though Gov. Gavin Newsom has effectively suspended the death penalty here.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/...complications/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    what if COVID-19 ended up on the other states' death rows....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information