Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Gene Romero - California

Orlando Gene Romero - California

K21400.jpg
    [I]Romero in 2007

Facts of the Crime:

Brothers Christopher Self and Orlando Gene Romero were sentenced to death in Riverside County on August 28, 1996 for being involved in a carjacking, kidnapping and robbery spree that resulted in the October 12, 1992 murders of Joey Mans, 26, and Timothy Jones, 24. The two brothers were part of a gang that had been terrorizing Riverside County.

For more on Self, see: http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...lifornia+death

Junior Member Stranger
    Can anyone out there help me?? Orlando Romero Jr was my fiance. We were together from 1988-1992. We have a son together. Our son Kevin is 22 now and has been to San Quentin to visit his dad several times. I, however, have not for reasons I dont even understand myself. Maybe sometime soon I can get some help dealing with those feelings as well. I'm often on line trying to keep up with any new information on him, his health, anything he may be involved in, basically just some sign of life from him. I've found a few things but not much. I also try to find out if there is an actual date set for his execution. I hate even saying that word. I just want to make sure that I know before our son does; I just want to make sure to be with him when he finds out. I have literally spent hours looking for anything, any person, any place I can get this info from and NOTHING...and of course no actual person can be reached at the prison. I just want to make sure to help prepare my son for the news. As you can imagine it has been emotional torture for him since his dad was arrested when he was just 2 years old...and it only seems to be getting worse. Can anyone help?

An execution date has not been set for Orlando Romero, or anyone else on California death row. It took 10 years to file Romero's direct appeal which has been fully briefed at this point. That is the appeal where the California Supreme Court affirms the conviction and death sentence. That decision is forthcoming.

Here are the names of his appellate attorneys

Michael Perry Goldstein
    Attorney at Law
    P.O. Box 30192
    Oakland, CA

Michael S. Magnuson
    Attorney at Law
    13215 E. Penn St., Suite 205
    Whittier, CA

Here is Romero's address

Orlando Gene Romero
    San Quentin State Prison
    San Quentin, CA 94974
    CDC Number: K-21400

As far as support, this isn't the appropriate website for you metalmom. We are pro-death penalty. Prison Talk Online http://www.prisontalk.com/ can answer any questions you may have concerning relationships with death row inmates. Good luck.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Passed away.
    Orlando and his brother also shot an officer during a carjacking attempt.

RIVERSIDE — Sheriff's homicide detectives arrested two men and are looking for two brothers in connection with three homicides and two other shootings, including a carjacking that left an off-duty Ontario policeman wounded, authorities said Wednesday.

Riverside County Sheriff's Investigator Harry Sawicki said the four men are all believed to be linked to the spate of shootings. The two still at large are considered armed and dangerous, authorities said.

Arrested were Jose Munoz and Daniel Ray Chavez, both 21 and residents of Mead Valley, an unincorporated area south of Riverside.

Munoz was arrested Friday on suspicion of murdering Joey Mans, 26, and Timothy Jones, 24, who were found dead from gunshots Oct. 12 at a popular scenic site near Lake Matthews, northeast of Corona.

Munoz also is suspected of robbing and killing Jose Aragon, 22, on Nov. 25 when he was riding his motorcycle in an off-road recreation area near Banning, Sawicki said.

Investigators believe Munoz also is connected to the Oct. 23 shooting of a Moreno Valley motorist who was shot in the face but escaped his assailants by driving off, and the Nov. 30 shooting and robbery of off-duty Ontario Police Sgt. John Feltenbarger.

Sawicki said Feltenbarger was forced off the road by carjacking gunmen while driving home in Moreno Valley. He was shot in the chest and his vehicle was found a few hours later in Mead Valley. He is recovering from his injuries.

Chavez was arrested Monday in connection with the Mans and Jones murders, Sawicki said.

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department is now looking for two remaining suspects in the shootings, Sawicki said. They are brothers Orlando Gene Romero Jr., 21, and Christopher Romero, also known as Christopher Self, 18.
    http://articles.latimes.com/1992-12-...ng-and-robbery

Junior Member Stranger
    Thank you all for your answers and help. I understand that this site is pro death penalty. It may surprise you to know that I am as well. The fact that Orlando and I have a son together does not change the way I feel about a person who takes another person's life. My son loves his dad and has his own opinions on capital punishment as well. I appreciate you all taking the time to reply. Thank you

ProDeathPenalty
    Your Fiancee should've thought about his 2 year old son when he beat down my uncle and put that shotgun in his mouth and blew out his brains!! Thanks for ruining my families lives!!!

Welcome to the site PDP. Sorry for your loss.

There has been no movement on Romero's case in the California Supreme Court.

Click here to request automatic e-mail notifications about this case.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Romero's case has been fully briefed on direct appeal before the California Supreme Court since May 17, 2011.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...doc_no=S055856

On June 2, 2015, oral argument will be heard before the California Supreme Court in Romero's direct appeal.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/SJUN215A.pdf

RIVERSIDE: State Supreme Court upholds brothers' death sentences

A California Supreme Court decision affirmed the 1996 death sentences for two convicted Mead Valley triple murderers, reversed a robbery conviction for one of them and addressed technical issues in a ruling announced Thursday, Aug. 27.

Christopher Self, 21 at the time of his trial, and his older brother, Orlando Gene Romero, then 24, were convicted of killing three young men during robberies in 1992. They were found guilty of a total of 19 felony counts, including the three murders, stemming from a western Riverside County crime spree that lasted from October to December 1992.

The brothers and two other men picked victims at random to rob and terrorize. The Supreme Court reversed Self’s conviction and sentence for one of the robberies.

The other change was on a technicality. During the trial, jurors were instructed to make two multiple-murder special-circumstance findings as to each count of murder, according to the court’s opinion. During the appeal, the state Attorney General’s office conceded the error.

The justices considered what happened harmless because the jury knew how many murders were committed. A special circumstances finding is required in order for the jury to recommend the death penalty, and in this case the circumstance was multiple murders.

Two of the murder victims, Joey Mans, 26, and Timothy Kipp Jones, 24, both of Riverside were shot to death execution-style Oct. 12, 1992, near Lake Mathews. Jose Aragon, 22, of Redlands, was killed when shots were fired from three weapons Nov. 25, 1992, in San Timoteo Canyon near Beaumont.

Self was also convicted of four attempted murders, including the shooting in Moreno Valley of an off-duty Ontario police sergeant who recovered from his injuries.

The defendants in the appeals contended that the cumulative effect of errors during the guilt and penalty phases of trial warranted reversal of the judgments, according to the court’s decision. But the justices concluded the errors were not prejudicial when considered cumulatively.

Two other defendants were convicted for their involvement in the crime spree. One was sentenced to 51 years to life in prison and the other was sentenced to life without parole.

As of the most recent report, Aug. 6, Riverside County had 88 inmates sentenced to death, about 11.64 percent of the population, and San Bernardino County had 40, or 5.29 percent, according to the state Department of Corrections.

http://www.pe.com/articles/death-778...convicted.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information