Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC - Life on Death Row

Jan

BBC - Life on Death Row

BBC Three explores the reality of capital punishment in Life on Death Row

Talking to prisoners, their victims and their families this three-part documentary will chart the course of the capital punishment system in America

BBC Three will air a ground-breaking look at capital punishment tonight.

With support for the reintroduction of capital punishment among young Britons seemingly increasing, this three-part documentary explores what it is really like to live in the shadow of the death penalty.

Life on Death row will tell the story of capital punishment through the eyes of the young people whose lives have been shaped by it.

The BBC production received unprecedented access inside prison walls to speak to the prisoners, their victims and their families.

The first episode centres on two of the youngest men on death row in Texas, for whom execution day has arrived. Victim Nikki Daniels reflects on her kidnapping ordeal by murderer Richard Cobb and battles with her conflicting desires to forgive him, while the mother of death row inmate Anthony Haynes fights to use the final 72 hours to halt her son’s execution for the murder of a police officer.

* Life on Death Row airs tonight March 17 at 9pm on BBC Three

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/b...apital-3253615

Junior Member Stranger
    I'm looking forward to this, though I was concerned when BBC News commented that more than 50% of young people want the Death Penalty act in the UK - most youth have no idea how it works with appeals etc. I hope this informs people more than just a simple "do you want the DP back" as there is way more to it!

Are they showing this in America?

I am 41 & I've always believed that my country (UK) should have capital punishment. The show was interesting, I was pleased that Cobb was executed but disappointed that Haynes got a stay.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindExecutioner View Post
    Are they showing this in America?
    There live streaming it right now but I'm not allowed to watch in Canada. I assume that it is the same in the US.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

The live stream gave me the option to buy a TV license. I didn't.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Sbourne19
    Cobb was extremely anxious in the days leading up to the execution. To me he seemed to blame the system for what was to happen not himself for the crime he committed. Seeing the picture of the man Kenneth lying dead was something that reminds me why such crimes deserve the death sentence

Sbourne19
    Was a great show like part two next week. Ps don't buy a tv license its one of the biggest cons in British history

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    The live stream gave me the option to buy a TV license. I didn't.
    LOL...I passed too Heidi
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Life and Death Row, TV review: Compelling case for BBC3's own stay of execution

The "villains" featured in last night's BBC3 documentary Life and Death Row were about to receive justice, but in this instance our feelings were complicated.

Like over half of death row inmates, Richard Cobb from Texas was a young man – just 18, in fact – when he committed the crime for which he was sentenced to die by lethal injection.

After a decade in prison, he seemed to understand his position in the eyes of the state: "I'm an unregenerable speck of cancer that needs to be excised from humanity before I grow and develop into something darker," he said.

Anthony Haynes, another young inmate nearing the scheduled date of his execution for the murder of an off-duty police officer, was in a better mood. Call it denial or call it religion, but even as they were dishing up his last meal, Hayne's still had an unshakeable faith he'd be delivered from the executioner's table.

Werner Herzog's On Death Row mini-series remains the definitive documentary on this topic, but director Ben Anthony had sense enough to borrow Herzog's powerful technique of letting the camera linger on the interviewee's faces after they'd finished speaking. It's these moments that haunt the viewer long after the credits have rolled.

Life and Death Row is not only a cleverly structured, well-balanced look at both sides of the death penalty argument.

A documentary of this quality also makes a compelling case for BBC3's own stay of execution.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...n-9198065.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information