Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Luis Toledo Sentenced to 3 Consecutive Life Terms Without Parole in 2013 FL Slayings of Yessenia Suarez and her Children

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    why dont they make it so they can retry the penalty phase if it isnt unanimous? isnt that how its done in california

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Luis Toledo on life prison sentence: ‘I’m a dead man walking’

By Frank Fernandez
    The Daytona Beach News-Journal

Luis Toledo, a former high-ranking Latin King who killed his wife and her two children, believes that he would have been safer on death row than serving life in prison where he said he would be a “dead man walking.”

Toledo will be sentenced Friday to two mandatory terms of life without parole for killing the two children. He was spared a possible death sentence when two of 12 jurors voted against recommending that he be executed for killing the children.

Toledo said during a closed hearing Oct. 31 — the day before the start of the penalty phase of his trial — that a target would be on his back because of media reports he testified against Jose Perez, aka “King Goofy,” who was the former leader of the Latin Kings in Florida.

Toledo also said that the Latin Kings don’t approve of killing women and children, according to a transcript of the hearing unsealed after Toledo’s trial.

“Second, I’ve been convicted of a crime against children so Latin Kings don’t sanction that,” Toledo said.

“And two, (sic) I have been convicted of a crime against a woman, and they don’t sanction that either,” Toledo said.

The hearing took place before Circuit Judge Raul Zambrano at the Richard O. Watson Justice Center in St. Augustine four days after Toledo was convicted. A jury found the 36-year-old Toledo guilty of second-degree murder in the killing of Yessenia Suarez, 28, and two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of her children Thalia Otto, 9, and Michael Elijah Otto, 8.

The family vanished from their Deltona home on Oct. 23, 2013. Police found only blood spots belonging to the little girl.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...ad-man-walking

'I don't believe your lies,' judge tells Luis Toledo during sentencing

By WFTV Web Staff

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. - A Volusia County judge on Friday sentenced a Deltona man convicted of killing his wife and her two children to three consecutive life sentences without parole.

A jury found Luis Toledo guilty during his trial in St. Augustine in November.

He was convicted of killing his wife in a jealous rage in 2013 because of an affair and then killing her two young children to eliminate witnesses. Their bodies were never found.

Toledo faced the possibility of the death penalty, but the jury recommended life in prison.

Felicita Perez, Suarez's mother, took the stand Friday and asked the judge to show no mercy toward Toledo.

"I want him to die in jail and -- every single night and day -- think about the horrible crime he committed," she said.

Perez said that although she was pleased with the sentence and was thankful that she wouldn't have to see Toledo again, she holds onto hope that he'll someday reveal where the bodies are buried.

"I just wish I could have my kids back," said Michael Otto, the children's father. "And I wish we could have a proper place to bury my children."

Circuit Judge Raul Zambrano said Friday that no one believed Toledo's lies.

"I don't believe you are remorseful, and as such, you will receive no mercy from the court," he said.

Toledo showed no reaction to the sentence.

"I'm very pleased because that's exactly what he showed: no remorse, nothing," Perez told Channel 9 after the sentencing. "It's all about him, all about him. He didn't even have a little (remorse), not even for my grandkids."

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/i-don...role/685991428
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Enjoy your trip Luis.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information