Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Frazier Glenn Miller, Jr. - Kansas

Cross recalls picking up black prostitutes just to pummel them

OLATHE, KS (KCTV) - Frazier Glenn Cross Jr., the 74-year-old Aurora, MO man who has admitted to the killings at two Jewish community sites, began and ended his rambling defense on Friday.

Cross maintains he was a compassionate killer on a mission to slay Jews. The three killed in April 2014 were Christians who were active in their churches.

"I anguished over it of course. I'm not a violent person," said Cross, who is also known as Glenn Miller. "I wanted to convince myself I was doing nothing wrong."

Before the court was in session, Cross was talking to anyone who would listen, saying it was his chance to run his mouth. He was even captured during a candid telephone call this week with a supporter, saying he planned to raise hell.

Because he fired his defense attorneys is representing himself, while on the stand, Cross can make any statement he sees fit. He had said plans to take up three to four days to tell his side, because that is how much time the prosecution took.

Cross took the stand just before 8 a.m. saying he wanted to explain, “What was in my head that caused me to kill three people and try to kill more.”

After announcing his son would testify Cross said, “The state must prove my criminal intent and I had no criminal intent, I had a patriotic intent.”

Cross then tried to introduce a video that shows him from 20 years ago and the people he associated with. The state objected to the video and the judge sustained the objection. Cross said the judge “kicked his legs out” from him.

As he got more comfortable, he also became more excitable. At one point Cross reminisced that he used to pick up, “black prostitutes and beat the hell out of them.”

Cross escalated to yelling at the judge from the podium before the judge needed to take a break.

The jury was released on a recess just after 11 a.m. with the judge saying there are several issues that have come up.

The court reconvened about 2:45 p.m. when Cross returned to his routine rhetoric, saying if he could pinpoint why he did it was to "satisfy my own conscious." He also admitted to visiting the JCC at least five times to plan his killing spree.

The prosecutor pointed out, "You went to JCC that day knowing the KC Superstar was going on that day, a talent show for young high school students."

Cross tried to back track about knowing a lot of kids would be at JCC that day. He admits he would have intentionally killed a 14-year-old child if they were Jewish, however was less confident after having his inconsistencies exposed.

Cross finally had enough and rested at 4:10 p.m.

One exchange simplified it all. Cross said to the judge, “We do have a failure to communicate.”

The judge whipped back, “You have a failure to listen.”

Cross had sought to plead guilty in exchange for life for prison. Prosecutors rejected that because they are seeking the death penalty.

Closing arguments and jury instructions will be given Monday morning and then it's in the hands of the jury. It's universally expected that the jury will take little time to convict Cross with his punishment the only issue in doubt.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/29908918/...#ixzz3kBMY6tct

F. Glenn Miller Jr. tells jurors he regrets not killing more people

By Tony Rizzo
    The Kansas City Star

The shooting spree on April 13, 2014, at the Jewish Community Center and Village Shalom care center was fueled by Miller’s virulent hatred of Jewish people and his belief in a Jewish conspiracy to destroy the “white race.”

“On most days,” he said, “it’s the first thing I think about in the morning, and the last thing I think about at night.”

Miller, who is representing himself, was the only defense witness to testify after prosecutors rested their case Thursday. After Miller rested his case late Friday afternoon, District Judge Kelly Ryan dismissed jurors and told them to return Monday morning for closing arguments.

If jurors find him guilty of capital murder, a second trial phase will be held to determine if the 74-year-old man will be sentenced to death or life in prison with no parole.

Miller’s testimony Friday mirrored previous written and oral statements he has made since his arrest minutes after the shootings.

He said his intent was to kill as many Jewish people as he could.

But the three victims — William Corporon, 69, his grandson Reat Underwood, 14, and Terri LaManno, 53 — were all Christians.

Miller said he was surprised there were Christians at a Jewish facility and chose that day for the assault because a talent competition was being held at the community center. Reat was there to compete, according to previous testimony.

Miller said he felt no remorse for killing the adults because they was associating with Jews, but he said he regretted killing “the boy,” who he thought was older.

If Reat had been a 14-year-old Jewish boy, District Attorney Steve Howe asked Miller on cross-examination, would he have shot him?

“Yeah, I probably would have,” Miller told Howe. “If you had been there, I’d have probably shot you too.”

Miller said he had driven to and around the facilities on several previous occasions to scout the layout. On the day of the killings, he arrived in the morning, but not seeing people outside, he decided to leave and drive back to his home in southern Missouri.

But he changed his mind and drove back. He spotted Corporon and his grandson in a pickup truck parked near the entrance. Two others were walking by, so Miller said he stopped with the thought of shooting all four.

Parking behind Corporon’s truck, he retrieved a shotgun from his car trunk and pointed it at Corporon.

“He looked me in the eye,” Miller testified. “He showed no fear.”

Then Miller pulled the trigger, striking Corporon in the head with a load of buckshot. By then, the two who had been walking were running away. He fired one shot but didn’t hit them.

He then pointed the shotgun at Reat and shot him in the head.

Miller then turned toward the center and fired into the front doors. When he ran out of ammunition, he retrieved a rifle from his trunk and fired it until it jammed.

He fired shots at three other people in the parking lot, but none of them was hit.

Driving from the center, he went to Village Shalom nearby and came across LaManno, who was there to visit her mother. Miller said he spoke to her briefly, telling her he was looking for a friend.

He then attempted to shoot her, but the weapon didn’t fire. He then pulled out a second shotgun and fired as she screamed. The shot hit her in the neck, severing her spine.

Miller said he chose to use buckshot because he didn’t want them to suffer.

“I wanted to kill them, and I wanted to kill them quick,” he said.

Before giving his account of the killings, Miller spent about an hour on the witness stand delivering a rambling, disjointed soliloquy about his anti-Semitic beliefs.

Prosecutors objected to his attempts to introduce videos and news articles, which the judge had already told him would not be allowed.

Miller, also known as Frazier Glenn Cross Jr., raised the issue of black-on-white crime and how it angered him in the past.

He told jurors about picking up black prostitutes and taking them to secluded areas to “beat the hell out of them.”

But now, Miller said, he blames Jews for inciting blacks to hate whites through the mass media that he says they control.

Miller told jurors he wanted them to understand what was on his mind on the day of the crime.

To do that, he said, he needed to show them news articles and videos that filled his mind with information and “vivid images.”

Miller has been consumed for more than 40 years by what described as the “Jewish problem,” he said.

He said he tried to work in the system legally, running for political office several times.

He also compared himself to George Washington, a patriot who rose up to fight tyranny.

“I submit I had no criminal intent,” Miller said of his actions. “I had patriotic intent.”

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...e32624178.html

"I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

The Latest on Jewish site shootings: Trial heads to closings

OLATHE, Kan. (AP) - The latest on the trial of a white supremacist charged with capital murder for the deaths of three people at two Jewish sites in the Kansas City area (all times local):

11:25 a.m.

The capital murder trial of a white supremacist who admitted killing three people at two Jewish sites in the Kansas City area is headed to closing arguments.

A judge briefly halted the proceedings Monday morning after the defendant, Frazier Glenn Miller, made disparaging comments about the court system. Miller is representing himself in the case.

After a recess during which Miller was ejected from the courtroom, the judge allowed him back in and continued with a discussion about jury instructions. Miller made several objections that were overruled, at one point even citing George Washington.

Each side is allowed 40 minutes for closings. Prosecutors will begin and also can save some of their time for the end, after Miller addresses the jury.

If convicted, Miller could face the death penalty.

10:45 a.m.

A Kansas judge is warning a white supremacist that he will permanently eject him from the courtroom or declare a mistrial if there are further outbursts during his murder trial.

While discussing jury instructions Monday morning, Judge Thomas Kelly Ryan told Frazier Glenn Miller that he must "behave" in order to continue to represent himself in the death penalty case. Miller groused before finally agreeing, "I will take it under advisement and try to improve."

Ryan ejected Miller from the courtroom before closing arguments scheduled for Monday after Miller said he didn't respect the process by using an anti-Semitic comment to criticize the court system.

Miller has admitted but pleaded not guilty to fatally shooting three people in April 2014 at two Jewish sites in the Kansas City area.

10 a.m.

A judge has ejected a white supremacist from a Kansas courtroom after the man objected to jury instructions in his murder trial, saying he doesn't respect the process.

Frazier Glenn Miller is acting as his own attorney. The 74-year-old repeatedly complained Monday that the court was telling the jurors what to think.

Judge Thomas Kelly Ryan had been preparing the jury for closing arguments.

Miller called the instructions unconstitutional. The judge told him to show some respect and Miller replied that he had none, prompting his ejection.

Miller has admitted he fatally shot three people at two Jewish sites in the Kansas City area in April last year, but pleaded not guilty, calling the death of Jews necessary.

http://www.keyc.com/story/29923210/t...atens-mistrial
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

​Edited:

Jury finds Frazier Glenn Cross guilty of capital murder

OLATHE, KS (KCTV/AP) - A jury took less than two hours to find a white supremacist guilty of killing three people at two Jewish sites in Johnson County.

Frazier Glenn Cross Jr. listened intently but didn't interrupt the verdict reading.

This came after the trial was interrupted twice on Monday, but the jury got the case at 1:57 p.m. The verdict was reached before 4 p.m.

The jury came back about 3:24 p.m. and asked the judge if they find the defendant, Frazier Glenn Cross Jr., guilty of capital murder do they have to fill out the instruction pages for lesser included offenses.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/29920950/...after-outburst

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Testimony: F. Glenn Miller Jr.’s son loves his dad but not his hateful beliefs

By TONY RIZZO
    The Kansas City Star

They share the same name but not the same beliefs.

Frazier Glenn Miller III, the son of convicted killer F. Glenn Miller Jr., testified Wednesday that he and other family members do not possess the anti-Semitic views that prompted his father’s deadly shooting spree outside Jewish facilities last year in Overland Park.

“I don’t know where he learned all the things he learned about hating Jews and about hating other races,” the younger Miller testified in the penalty phase of his father’s capital murder trial in Johnson County District Court.

The 39-year-old truck driver described his dad as a good father who took care of his family and looked out for other people in need.

Though they had many disagreements over the years about politics, Miller III said he still loves his father.

After his testimony, Miller III spoke to reporters outside the courthouse and expressed sympathy to relatives of his father’s victims.

“We prayed for the families,” he said.

Although his father had espoused hateful beliefs for decades, no one in the family had any inkling that he was going to kill over them, Miller III said.

“I cannot tell you why,” he said. “I’ll never understand the reasons.”

Miller III said his father had always treated others with respect and always tried to help the underdog.

Wednesday marked the second day of penalty phase testimony in Miller Jr.’s trial.

Miller Jr., an anti-Semite who believes Jews too deeply influence American politics and finances, plans to call more witnesses as he tries to convince jurors to sentence him to life in prison instead of the death penalty for killing three people last year in Overland Park.

The jury already found him guilty of capital murder in the deaths of William Corporon, 69, and his grandson Reat Underwood, 14, outside the Jewish Community Center and Terri LaManno, 53, outside the nearby Village Shalom retirement community.

According to trial testimony, a heavily armed Miller drove from his Aurora, Mo., home to Johnson County intent on killing as many Jews as he could while a high school talent competition was taking place at the Jewish Community Center. Instead, he fatally shot three Christians.

Prosecutors say that Miller’s “heinous, cruel and atrocious” actions on April 13, 2014, deserve the death penalty.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...e33370443.html

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Jurors to begin deliberating Tuesday on death penalty for Jewish center killings in KC

TESTIMONY COMPLETE IN F. GLENN MILLER JR.'S DEATH PENALTY TRIAL

F. Glenn Miller Jr. never denied killing three people last year in Overland Park. All he wanted, he said, was a chance to explain why.

He got that chance, and on Friday, with the testimony of one last witness, all the evidence has been submitted in Miller’s capital murder trial.

It will be up to the Johnson County jury that found him guilty Aug. 31 to decide if Miller, 74, should be sentenced to death or spend the rest of his life in prison.

The jury will be back in the courtroom Tuesday for closing arguments before it begins deliberations.

Throughout the two-week trial, Miller, who is acting as his own attorney, has admitted his guilt in the April 13, 2014, rampage.

He testified he was motivated by his belief that Jewish people are engaged in a conspiracy to destroy “the white race.”

He has been described as “the fringe of the fringe.”

Miller drove from his home in Aurora, Mo., to Johnson County intent on killing as many Jews as he could while a high school talent competition was taking place at the Jewish Community Center, according to testimony.

Instead, he fatally shot three Christians: William Corporon, 69, and his grandson Reat Underwood, 14, outside the Jewish Community Center, and Terri LaManno, 53, outside the nearby Village Shalom retirement community.

He expressed disappointment that his victims weren’t Jewish and said he wished he had killed more people.

On Friday, Miller said he didn’t much care what sentence the jury imposes. In fact, he said, a death sentence would be doing him a favor.

“I want to be a martyr,” he told District Judge Kelly Ryan after the jury left the courtroom. “The death penalty is very low on my priority list.”

Miller, who has chronic lung disease, testified earlier that he had feared he would die before he got the chance to kill Jews.

On Friday, Miller called his final defense witness, a California doctor who estimated Miller’s life expectancy at about five years.

The prosecution’s case included witnesses who identified Miller as the shooter. Prosecutors also used forensic testing to link evidence from the crime scenes with firearms found in Miller’s car after his arrest.

Jurors watched police dashcam video of Miller asking, “How many did I get?” They heard him confess during a phone conversation with a friend after his arrest.

For his part, Miller, also known as Frazier Glenn Cross Jr., used the trial as a platform to express the anti-Semitic and anti-government beliefs he has harbored for more than four decades.

He repeatedly argued with the judge and received numerous admonitions from him about unsolicited comments during testimony. On Friday, Ryan once again reminded Miller that he was in a court of law, not in “a public square where you can get up and talk endlessly.”

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...a21d786bb.html

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Kansas Jury Weighs Death Penalty for White Supremacist

Cross, a former senior member of the KKK, was found guilty of killing three people outside of Jewish centers.

REUTERS - A Kansas jury could decide on Tuesday whether a Missouri white supremacist should be sentenced to death in the killings of three people outside two Jewish centers in April 2014.

Frazier Glenn Cross, 74, a former senior member of the Ku Klux Klan, was found guilty in August of the murders he told jurors he had committed. He is seeking life in prison, but told the jury last week he was not afraid should they decide he should die.

Cross was found guilty of killing Reat Underwood, 14, and his grandfather, William Corporon, 69, outside the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City, as well as Terri LaManno, 53, outside a Jewish retirement home in Overland Park, Kansas.

The jury also convicted Cross of three counts of attempted murder for shooting at three other people. Cross said he assumed everyone he shot at was Jewish. None of the dead were Jewish.

Cross, also known as Glenn Miller, suffers from emphysema and was wheeled into and out of the courtroom during a two-week trial in which he represented himself. He frequently clashed with Johnson County District Court Judge Thomas Kelly Ryan, who ordered Cross removed from the courtroom three times.

Cross took the stand in his own defense, admitting to jurors that he committed the killings. He said he hated Jews, who he said control the media, financial institutions and the movie industry, and wanted to kill as many as he could.

Cross talked to the media and public during the trial, made comments to jurors and complained that his rights were being violated.

His son, Frazier Glenn Miller III, was among the several witnesses whom Cross called last week.

Miller told jurors he loved his father and was surprised by his crimes and the motives behind them. "I don't agree with him at all," Miller testified.

Kansas restored the death penalty in 1994, but no one has been executed in the state since 1965. Nine inmates are now on death row, according to the Kansas Department of Corrections.

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...-news/1.675104

Families express their continuing grief as the jury recommends death penalty for Frazier Cross

OLATHE, Kan. -- After less than two hours of deliberations, the jury decided on Tuesday that Frazier Glenn Cross should receive the death penalty.

Last week the jury convicted Frazier Glenn Cross last week of killing three people at two Jewish centers in Overland Park in April of 2014. William Corporon, 69, and his grandson, Reat Underwood, 14, died outside the

Jewish Community Center in Overland Park. Terri LaManno, 53, died when she was shot outside the Village Shalom retirement home.

"I believe the criminal justice system worked effectively, and the people from the state of Kansas have spoken loud and clear," said William LaManno, Terri's husband.
    Corporon family members also thanked the jury.

"Your positive actions and words of encouragement to us and to each other strengthen our belief that love kindness and understanding Will triumph over ignorance and hate. For our loved ones there is no greater legacy," said Tony Corporon, William Corporon's son.

During closing arguments Tuesday in the trial's sentencing phase, Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe asked for the death penalty.

The 74-year-old Cross, an avowed anti-Semite, told jurors: "Frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn."

Cross claims he targeted Jewish centers to stop genocide against the white race. The white supremacist acted as his own lawyer and in discussing jury instructions, he claims he is more likely to be considered a martyr if he's put on death row. Initially, when the verdict was read, Cross turned his back to the jurors, but at one point he yelled, 'Death to the Jews.'

"Hopefully the nightmares will be over for a lot of people, and that we can all get back to regular normal lives and just remember love wins," said Jay Coombes, who survived the shooting.

"I have a lot of hate in me, everyone knows that," Cross said earlier in his final plea before the jury to avoid the death penalty. "I want to express it. I have a lot of hate. I want to have my say. I have a constitutional right and lawful right to do that."

The state has not carried out the death penalty since it was reinstated in 1994. Steve Howe, Johnson County Prosecutor, says formal sentencing is scheduled for November 10.

Complete statement from Jim LaManno:

Statement from the LaManno & Hastings Families following the sentencing verdict in the Frazier Glenn Cross Case

First of all, I would like to thank, Mr. Howe, Mr. McMullin, and all the ancillary staff in the District attorney's office. I would like to thank the jurors, the witnesses and all those who had a hand in this most repugnant case. I thank members of the media for the professional way in which they handled the sensationalism of this act and allowing my family privacy and time to grieve. I would like to commend The Kansas City Star for the insightful and well-written articles about this case. My family appreciated Mary Sanchez's candor and tell it like it is column regarding this case. I am in debt to my friend of 35 years, Tony Rizzo, who was given the unfortunate task of covering these proceedings. I would especially like to thank the law enforcement officers, who without them, our American way of life would be in jeopardy. I believe the criminal justice system worked effectively and the people from the state of Kansas have spoken loud and clear.

Three people's lives were taken needlessly because of ignorance and unfounded hatred. My wife lived an exemplary life displayed by her belief in God, her Catholic faith, and her belief in service before self. Regrettably, her life was taken way too soon. I want the people of the Greater Kansas City area to know that she did not die in vain, for her good works will continue to benefit children and students for generations to come. I thank the people of Kansas City and of the nation for your support and prayers for our causes to make our community and country a better place for all. Remember a small act of kindness causes a ripple that can change the world and make it a better place for all of us.

Statement from the Corporon and Losen families following sentencing verdict of Frazier Glenn Cross:

Today, we have witnessed justice in action.

We extend to the Jury our heartfelt gratitude for their time and attention throughout the trial.

We are grateful to the District Attorney's office for their diligence and advocacy on our behalf. We offer our gratitude to the witnesses in this case. We admire your bravery, courage and willingness to stand with us and stare down the face of hate.

We are very thankful for the continuing support from family, friends, the Greater Kansas City community and across the globe. Your positive actions and words of encouragement to us and to each other strengthen our belief that love, kindness and understanding will triumph over ignorance and hate. For our loved ones there is no greater legacy.

We remain strong in our conviction to God and we find comfort in the knowledge that His justice will prevail.

http://fox4kc.com/2015/09/08/frazier...death-penalty/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    Hmmm he is in his 70's and sentenced to death in Kansas. Death by natural causes and not execution in the next ten years.

Almost certainly... The last executions to be carried out in 1 day was June 22, 1965

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information