Thread: Two Alaska State Troopers Shot Dead in Remote Village

Two Alaska State Troopers Shot Dead in Remote Village

These undated photos released by the Department of Public Safety show Alaska State Trooper Gabriel "Gabe" Rich and Sgt. Patrick
    "Scott" Johnson.AP/DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

Two Alaska State Troopers were shot and killed Thursday

Two Alaska State Troopers were shot and killed Thursday when they were conducting an investigation in a small, isolated village in the center of the state, officials said.

Sgt. Patrick "Scott" Johnson and trooper Gabriel "Gabe" Rich were killed as they followed up on a report of a firearm being brandished a firearm in Tanana, about 130 miles west of Fairbanks.

Rich had been featured on the National Geographic show "Alaska State Troopers," according to Alaska Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Megan Peters.

One person has been detained, she said in a release. No further details were given.

Gov. Sean Parnell said in a statement that he and his wife, Sandy, "were deeply saddened to learn of the senseless, brutal crime that took the lives of two of Alaska's finest. These fallen heroes answered the call to serve and protect, and made the ultimate sacrifice, while keeping our communities safe."

No roads lead to Tanana and travel there is mainly by aircraft. Residents live a largely subsistence lifestyle.

Ruby Cruger, manager of the Tanakon Bed and Breakfast, told Alaska station KTUU that the troopers were shot while she was heading to her aunt’s house nearby. “So, I was heading up there to go visit my aunt, and so I was just not too far away from there when I seen people running,” Cruger said. “A young kid, a young adult shot the troopers -- that's all I know.”

An Alaska Bureau of Investigation crew was headed to Tanana, Peters said.

The village has a population of about 238, the Associated Press reported. Because of the location of the village, about two miles west of the junction of the Tanana and Yukon rivers, the community was a trading post for Koyukon and Tanana Athabascans long before European contact, according to a state website.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...village-n95391

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/04...tate-troopers/
    Last edited by Helen; 05-04-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information