Thread: Patricia Krenwinkel - California

Manson follower faces parole hearing

CORONA, Calif. (AP) — A follower of Charles Manson who has been imprisoned longer than any other woman in California is facing a parole hearing on her conviction in the Sharon Tate killings.

Grey haired Patricia Krenwinkel, one of Manson's two surviving female followers, has maintained a clean prison record in her four decades behind bars, but her chances for release appear slim following the parole officials' rejections in other Manson cases.

Krenwinkel, 63, was convicted along with Manson and two other female followers in seven 1969 murders, considered among the most notorious crimes of the 20th Century.

None of those convicted has ever been paroled and one of them, Susan Atkins, died in prison last year after being denied compassionate release when she was terminally ill with cancer.

Leslie Van Houten, 61, the youngest of the women convicted was long thought to be the most likely to win eventual release. But she was denied a parole date last summer by officials who said she had not gained sufficient insight into her crimes.

Parole boards have repeatedly cited the callousness, viciousness and calculation of the seven murders committed by members of the Manson Family.

Krenwinkel admitted during her trial that she chased down and stabbed heiress Abigail Folger at the Tate home on Aug. 9, 1969 and participated in the stabbing deaths of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca the following night, Both homes were defaced with bloody scrawlings. She was convicted along with Manson, Van Houten and Atkins. Another defendant, Charles "Tex" Watson was convicted in a separate trial.

All were sentenced to death but their sentences were commuted to life when the U.S. Supreme Court briefly outlawed the death penalty in 1972.

In her 40 years at the California Institution for Women, Krenwinkel has earned a bachelor's degree and participated in numerous self help programs as well as teaching illiterate prisoners how to read. In recent years, she has been uninvolved in a program to train service dogs for the disabled.

She has had a discipline-free record in prison. But so have a number of other Manson followers who have been refused parole. Last year, a number of them came before parole panels but were turned away.

Manson follower Bruce Davis was able to win a parole date only to have it revoked by former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger who found that his release would be a danger to society. The 67-year-old Davis was convicted of the 1969 murder of musician Gary Hinman but had no involvement in the Tate-LaBianca killings.

Robert Beausoleil, 63, also convicted in the Hinman murder, was denied parole last year and told to come back to the board in five years.

Cult leader Manson, 75, has refused to appear at his most recent parole hearings where he was denied a release date. His multiple disciplinary violations and refusals to participate in rehabilitation activities make it likely that he will never be released. At times he has said that he does not want his freedom and considers prison his home.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...381cab60dd2226

Charles Manson follower convicted in Tate killings, denied parole in US for at least 7 years

Parole board officials turned aside Patricia Krenwinkel's claims of being a changed woman and ordered the Charles Manson follower to remain in prison, saying the deaths of seven people in the 1969 Tate-LaBianca murders still "remain relevant."

The two member panel said Thursday that the viciousness and notoriety of her crimes outweighs her efforts at rehabilitation behind bars.

"This is a crime children grow up hearing about," said parole commissioner Susan Melanson. She said they had received 80 letters from around the world advocating Krenwinkel's continued incarceration. "These crimes remain relevant."

Melanson and deputy parole commissioner Steven Hernandez not only refused Krenwinkel's parole bid but made her ineligible for reconsideration for another seven years., the longest denial handed down so far to any Manson family convict. Her four decades behind bars has made her the longest incarcerated woman in the California prison system.

Melanson and Deputy Commissioner Steven Hernandez issued their decision after the intense hearing and more than an hour of deliberations .

Krenwinkel, now grey haired and grandmotherly looking at 63, wept and apologized.

"I'm just haunted each and every day by the unending suffering of the victims, the enormity and degree of suffering I've caused," Krenwinkel said.

She was soft spoken and contrite in response to board members' questions, describing the downward spiral of her life after she met Manson and came under his spell.

"He sang to me and made love to me," she said. "...I left everything and went with him. He seemed like the answer to my salvation.".

Because of him, she said, "Everything that was good and decent in me I threw away."

It was her late father, she said, who helped her realize during his visits to her in prison, "what had happened, and the monster I became."

The panel had the option to deny parole for up to 15 years. Melanson said they felt that was unnecessary and commended Krenwinkel for her self-improvement and community service in her four decades at the California Institution for Women.

But they dismissed Krenwinkel's explanation that she was seeking approval from Manson by following his orders to kill.

"The panel finds it hard to believe a person can participate in this level of crimes and can't identify anything but 'I wanted him to love me,'" Melanson said.

Krenwinkel's claim that she is rehabilitated was met by anger and opposition from a prosecutor and families of the victims.

"If Patricia Krenwinkel has remorse, I don't see how she could walk into this room," said a tearful Anthony Di Maria, the nephew of Jay Sebring, who was killed along with Tate. "No punishment could atone for the cold-blooded murders in this case."

Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney Patrick Sequeira also suggested that if Krenwinkel was remorseful she would waive her parole hearings and accept her punishment.

Krenwinkel was convicted along with Manson and two other female followers in the seven murders. One of her co-defendants, Susan Atkins, died of cancer last year. The board's commitment to keep the Manson killers in prison was evident when they refused her compassionate release as she was dying.

Krenwinkel admitted during her trial that she chased down and stabbed heiress Abigail Folger 28 times at the Tate home on Aug. 9, 1969, and participated in the stabbing deaths of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca the following night. Both homes were defaced with bloody scrawlings. She was convicted along with Manson, Leslie Van Houten and Atkins. Another defendant, Charles "Tex" Watson was convicted in a separate trial.

All were sentenced to death after a tumultuous nine-month trial. But their sentences were commuted to life when the U.S. Supreme Court briefly outlawed the death penalty in 1972.

None of those convicted in the Tate-LaBianca killings has ever been paroled. Parole boards have repeatedly cited the callousness, viciousness and calculation of the murders.

Van Houten, 61, the youngest of the women convicted, was long thought to be the most likely to win eventual release. But she was denied a parole date last summer.

Manson, now 75, refused to appear at his most recent parole hearings where he was denied a release date, and it is likely that he will never be released.

Manson followers convicted of other murders remain behind bars.

Debra Tate, sister of Sharon Tate, who also tearfully testified during the hearing, said outside the prison afterward that she will continue attending parole hearings for Manson family members to assure that they are not released.

"People want to forget. I want to forget and forgive and I have forgiven," Tate said. "I want them to have full lives in a controlled setting. I would never trust them in a free society."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...?docId=5715975

Ex-Charles Manson follower Patricia Krenwinkel seeks parole 47 years after killings

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Patricia Krenwinkel, once a devout follower of cult killer Charles Manson and now the longest-serving female inmate in California, appeared again Thursday before a parole board - 47 years after she helped kill pregnant actress Sharon Tate and six other people.

Krenwinkel, 69, has been denied parole 13 times since her conviction in the 1969 slayings.

She acknowledged during her trial that she chased down and repeatedly stabbed Abigail Ann Folger, the 26-year-old heiress of a coffee fortune, at Tate’s home and helped kill grocer Leno LaBianca and his wife, Rosemary, the following night.

Los Angeles County prosecutors say Krenwinkel carved the word “war” into Leno LaBianca’s stomach, then wrote “Helter Skelter” in blood on the couple’s refrigerator.

Krenwinkel’s attorney, Keith Wattley, successfully petitioned the state to hold the hearing a year early at the California Institution for Women, about 40 miles east of Los Angeles, where Krenwinkel is imprisoned.

“Ms. Krenwinkel is fully aware of the difficulty she faces,” Wattley told The Associated Press in an email. “But California law officially recognizes a person’s capacity to change and to address the factors that contributed to their previous behavior so that they can safely be paroled.”

Krenwinkel contended at her previous parole hearing in 2011 that she is a changed woman. She has a clean disciplinary record, earned a bachelor’s degree behind bars, taught illiterate inmates to read and trained service dogs for disabled people.

Sharon Tate’s sister, Debra Tate, said before Thursday’s hearing that killers such as Krenwinkel cannot be rehabilitated.

“She was a very prolific killer,” Debra Tate said recently. “They may behave well in a controlled environment, but we cannot trust that, given the pressures of life, that they will be able to remain straight” outside prison.

Krenwinkel was a 19-year-old secretary when she met Manson at a party. She testified at her previous parole hearing that she left everything behind three days later to pursue what she believed was a budding romance with him.

She wept and apologized, saying she became a “monster” after she met Manson.

“I committed myself fully to him. I committed myself to the act of murder,” she said then. “I was willing to sacrifice others’ lives for my own.”

Prosecutors say the slayings were an attempt to ignite a race war after which Manson and his followers would rise from the rubble to rule the world.

Krenwinkel was initially sentenced to death, but the California Supreme Court invalidated the death penalty in 1972. If the parole panel recommends release, Gov. Jerry Brown could still block it.

Earlier this year, the Democratic governor overturned recommendations to free Manson followers Leslie Van Houten, 67, and Bruce Davis, 74.

Krenwinkel became the state’s longest-serving female inmate when fellow Manson follower Susan Atkins died of cancer in prison in 2009.

Anthony DiMaria, the nephew of victim Thomas Jay Sebring, said Krenwinkel’s age and long stint in prison should have no bearing on the parole board decision.

DiMaria noted that Krenwinkel has lived a long time but denied that opportunity to her victims.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ex-charl...fter-killings/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Manson family member Patricia Krenwinkel denied parole

By Stephanie Becker
    CNN

Los Angeles - Patricia Krenwinkel, a Charles Manson follower convicted in a 1969 killing spree by Manson family members, on Thursday was denied parole for the 14th time.

She will be eligible again for consideration in five years.

Krenwinkel, 69, was convicted of seven counts of first-degree murder in the August 1969 Manson family attacks that left seven people dead. Among the victims was pregnant actress Sharon Tate, who was married to director Roman Polanski, Folger Coffee heiress Abigail Folger, and celebrity hairstylist Jay Sebring.

The crimes captivated people during a turbulent time in the nation's history. Prosecutors say Manson hoped to spark a race war with the grisly murders.

Thursday's parole hearing was a resumption of a December 2016 meeting, which was suspended after Krenwinkel's attorney claimed that his client was a victim of "Intimate Partner Battery," often referred to as "battered wife syndrome," by Manson. The break allowed for an investigation into the claim.

Krenwinkel's attorney, Keith Wattley, had declined to predict how the panel would react, but said he was encouraged that they are considering the abuse issue.

"There is no new evidence, no new allegations," he said. "It's just that this time I asked the panel to consider the psychological and physical abuse. The fact is that the board had understood the influence" with other members of the Manson group.

Family members of the victims -- Sharon Tate's sister, Sebring's nephew and the grandson of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca -- planned on fighting a parole recommendation. Debra Tate dismissed the claim that Krenwinkel was abused, telling CNN, "She could have cut and run any time. She did it (the murders) because she enjoyed it."

Those killed at the home of Roman Polanski. From left, Wojciech Frykowski, Sharon Tate, Stephen Parent, Jay Sebring and Abigail Folger. The next night, Rosemary and Leno LaBianca, a wealthy couple who lived across town, were stabbed to death in their home.

Tony LaMontagne, the grandson of the LaBiancas, told CNN that he attends these parole hearings to support his grandparents, "but the hearings revictimize us," by having to listen to the details of the crimes.

Here are some quick facts about Krenwinkel's case:

-- She has been incarcerated for 47 years and is the longest-serving female inmate in the California prison system.

-- Krenwinkel was sentenced to death in 1971, but a year later the California death penalty was ruled unconstitutional and her sentence was commuted to life. The death penalty has since been reinstated.

-- Krenwinkel has now been denied parole 14 times.

-- On the first day of the killing spree, she pursued and stabbed Folger 28 times, Krenwinkel said in court testimony. She later complained her hand hurt from the stabbings, prosecutors said.

-- Krenwinkel testified that she stabbed Rosemary LaBianca on the second night while LaBianca pleaded for the life of her husband, Leno. Krenwinkel said she later scrawled "Death to Pigs" on the wall with the blood of Leno LaBianca.

-- Krenwinkel claims she met Charles Manson when she was a 19-year-old secretary, and has said that she both feared and loved him.

-- Because she was 21 years old at the time of the crimes, she now qualifies for youth parole consideration, based on a 2016 law.

-- Convicted Manson followers Leslie Van Houten and Bruce Davis were recommended for parole. Gov. Jerry Brown denied them both.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/21/us...ole/index.html

Parole recommended for California follower of Charles Manson

By Don Thompson
    Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A California parole panel recommended the release of Patricia Krenwinkel for the first time Thursday, more than five decades after she and other followers of cult leader Charles Manson terrorized the state and she wrote “Helter Skelter” on a wall using the blood of one of their victims.

Krenwinkel, 74, was previously denied parole 14 times for the slayings of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and four other people in 1969. She helped kill grocer Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary the next night in what prosecutors say was an attempt by Manson to start a race war.

The parole recommendation will be reviewed by the state parole board's legal division before likely going to Gov. Gavin Newsom before year's end. He has previously rejected parole recommendations for other followers of Manson, who died in prison in 2017.

New laws since Krenwinkel was last denied parole in 2017 required the parole panel to consider that she committed the murders at a young age and is now an elderly prisoner, though parole board spokeswoman Terry Thornton could not provide specific reasons for the commissioners' decision.

She remains incarcerated at the California Institution for Women east of Los Angeles.

Commissioners five years ago rejected her parole despite arguments then that she was affected by battered women’s syndrome when she helped in the bloody slayings.

Krenwinkel was a 19-year-old secretary living with her older sister when she met Manson, then age 33, at a party. She testified in 2016 that she soon left everything behind to follow him because she thought they might have a romantic relationship.

But she said Manson abused her physically and emotionally and trafficked her to other men for sex. She said she fled twice only to be brought back and that she was rarely left alone and usually was under the influence of drugs.

At her last parole hearing, Krenwinkel told how she repeatedly stabbed Abigail Folger, 26, heiress to a coffee fortune, at Tate’s home on Aug. 9, 1969.

The next night, she said Manson and his right-hand man, Charles “Tex” Watson, told her to “do something witchy,” so she stabbed La Bianca in the stomach with a fork, then took a rag and wrote “Helter Skelter,” ″Rise” and “Death to Pigs” on the walls with his blood.

She and other participants were initially sentenced to death. But they were resentenced to life with the possibility of parole after the death penalty in California was briefly ruled unconstitutional in 1972.

Krenwinkel became the state’s longest-serving female inmate when fellow Manson follower Susan Atkins died of cancer in prison in 2009.

Krenwinkel’s attorney, Keith Wattley, did not immediately comment on the parole panel's recommendation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...e2ccc23b3b7b7a
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Member Newbie
    highly likely gonna be blocked by governor. you don't need to be clairvoyant to see this result.

Thread Information