Thread: Michael Jace (Actor, "The Shield") Gets 40 Years in 2014 CA Murder of His Wife, April Jace

Junior Member Stranger San Quentin's Avatar

Michael Jace (Actor, "The Shield") Gets 40 Years in 2014 CA Murder of His Wife, April Jace

"Shield" Actor Accused in Wife's Fatal Shooting

Actor Michael Jace was arrested early Tuesday morning on suspicion of murder in the shooting death of his wife after she was found with multiple gunshot wounds in the couple's Los Angeles home.

Jace is currently being held in lieu of $1 million bail, according to online jail records.

Officers responded to the 5400 block of Brynhurst Avenue, about 10 miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles near Slauson Avenue and Crenshaw Boulevard, around 8:30 p.m. Monday after neighbors reported the sound of gunshots.

Neighbors reported hearing arguing coming from the Jace home just moments before shots rang out.

Arriving officers were met by Michael Jace, 51, in the house's doorway and discovered April Jace, 40, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds to the upper body in a hallway of the home, according to LAPD detective Sal LaBarbera. She died at the scene.

Investigators were not looking for additional suspects, and believe the shooting was isolated to the Jace home, police said.

Police confirmed Jace, best known for playing an LAPD officer in the TV series "The Shield," was booked on suspicion of murder around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday. He was being questioned by detectives early Tuesday.

LaBarbera said Jace and his wife have been married for nine years.

The couple's two children, both boys under the age of 10, were in the home at the time of the shooting. LaBarbera said it is unclear whether the boys witnessed the shooting.

"It's a grieving process for both children," LaBarbera said. "They're without their mom and their dad is in jail for the murder of their mother."

The two boys are now with family members.

It remains unclear what led to the shooting.

"We have not received any calls here in the past of any domestic abuse or domestic violence," LaBarbera said. "It's a pretty quiet neighborhood. This is our first time responding in this area."

Neighbors describe a loving family.

“I didn’t know nothing was going on. I just thought they was the perfect family. That's why I'm so shocked, I guess," neighbor Hazel Royal said.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...#ixzz32Gv4lpd4

Murder trial for "Shield" actor begins in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES -- A murder trial began Monday for an actor who played a police officer on TV and is accused of shooting and killing his wife while their young children looked on two years ago in their Los Angeles home.

The trial of 53-year-old Michael Jace, who appeared on the FX series "The Shield," promises to explore unanswered questions about what led to the killing.

Few details about the slaying have been released, although a prosecutor has said the actor shot April Jace in the back and then again while their young children watched.

The actor then called a police dispatcher and said he had killed his wife, authorities say. A recording of the call has not been released.

Jace also phoned his father-in-law to pick up the children, according to another 911 call released by fire officials.

Jace has pleaded not guilty and his attorneys have said his state of mind on the day of the killing will be a key element of his defense.

Jury selection began Monday, with a judge telling 70 prospective jurors about Jace's work as an actor and noting the case has received some publicity. The trial is expected to last a week.

April Jace, 40, was a financial aid counselor at Biola University and had two sons with the defendant. The boys were 8 and 5 when she was killed.

Her family called her death a senseless act of domestic violence.

Neighbors described the actor as a doting father and said they never saw or heard signs of trouble from the family home in the Hyde Park neighborhood. A prosecutor has said there was no evidence of previous domestic violence by Michael Jace.

Text messages or other information that Jace saw on his wife's cellphone will likely be an issue in the trial.

A prosecutor told the judge a consultant had unlocked the iPhone so a defense expert could examine it.

The judge has said the jury might be told that April Jace was having an affair before her death, although a prosecutor said she would not say that to the jury.

Michael Jace worked steadily in small roles in films such as "Planet of the Apes," ''Boogie Nights," ''Forrest Gump" and the television series "Southland."

The actor had been experiencing financial difficulties and filed for bankruptcy in 2011 and had fallen behind on bill payments just months before the shooting.

If convicted, he could face 50 years to life in prison.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/murder-t...n-los-angeles/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Michael Jace: 'I did not want to kill my wife, just wound her'

In a transcript which was read out during the former The Shield star's murder trial in Los Angeles on Thursday, he stated he wanted to wound her during a row at their home.

"I was just angry," he wrote. "All I intended to do was shoot her in the leg. And then I shot her in the leg and that was it."

The 53-year-old also told detectives he felt instant remorse for what he had done and had no problem with facing his penalty - even if it was death.

"I just ruined lives," he added. "Four lives. I mean, you could put the needle in my arm right now and be done. I'm fine with that."

Earlier this week, Jace's 10-year-old son appeared in court and detailed the night of the tragedy, revealing he heard the gunshot that killed his mother in the hallway outside his bedroom.

Jace shot April, a keen runner, three times - in the back and in both legs. His son recalled his father telling her, "If you like running, then run to heaven."

According to the transcript, the actor, who also appeared in The Replacements and Forrest Gump, alleged his wife lunged at him before he fought back.

Jace faces 50 years to life behind bars if convicted.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/ente...just-wound-her

Jury finds 'Shield' actor Michael Jace guilty of second-degree murder

A Los Angeles jury has found actor Michael Jace guilty of second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of his wife two years ago.

The panel of six men and six women informed a judge Tuesday that it had reached the decision in the case against Michael Jace, who played a police officer on the television series "The Shield."

The verdict was read Tuesday after the weeklong trial. The actor bit his bottom lip when the verdict was read but showed no other emotion.

Jace's lawyers acknowledged that he killed his wife April and argued that he should be convicted of voluntary manslaughter because it wasn't a premeditated act.

A prosecutor, however, told jurors that Jace was upset because his wife wanted a divorce and shot her in the back before taunting her and then shooting her in each of her legs.

Jace's 10-year-old son testified that he heard his father say, "'If you like running, then run to heaven,'" before firing the second time.

Jace told detectives he didn't intend to kill his wife and only wanted to inflict pain.

Evidence showed the 53-year-old actor shot his wife three times in their home in May 2014.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ee-murder.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

June 10, 2016

Former 'Shield' actor Michael Jace sentenced to 40 years to life in prison in wife's killing

abc7.com

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Former "Shield" actor Michael Jace was sentenced to 40 years to life in prison in his wife's killing.

A jury found the 53-year-old guilty in May of second-degree murder. After deliberating for less than three hours over the course of two days, the jury also found true an allegation that Jace personally used a handgun.

Jace admits to fatally shooting his wife in May 2014, once in the back and twice in the legs in their Hyde Park home.

Before the sentence came down Friday morning, Jace told the court that there was "no justifications for my actions" when he shot his wife, April. He also turned to the family and said he was sorry.

"Why I'm being sentenced to the verdict of second-degree versus manslaughter, that doesn't matter. Neither verdict brings her back," he said. "But I thought it was important and I hear that it's important for the family to know that I didn't commit first-degree murder. There was no premeditated anything."

His former mother-in-law got up and simply left the courtroom, no longer wanting to hear what he had to say.

The 40-year sentence includes 15 years to life for the murder charge and 25 years to life for the gun enhancement.

Soon after the attack, Jace told detectives that he had retrieved the gun to kill himself but couldn't go through with it. Instead, he planned to shoot his wife, an avid runner, in the leg so she would feel pain, Jace said in a recorded interview.

Prosecutors cited testimony from the couple's 10-year-old son, who told jurors that he heard his father say, "'If you like running, then run to heaven,'" before firing the second gunshot.

Jace's defense attorney Jamon Hicks asked for voluntary manslaughter, arguing that the killing was not planned and was in the heat of passion.

However, a prosecutor told jurors that Jace was upset because his wife wanted a divorce and believed she was having an affair, although no evidence was presented during the trial that she was cheating.

Jace portrayed a police officer in the FX series, "The Shield." He also had small roles in films such as "Planet of the Apes," "Boogie Nights" and "Forrest Gump."

He turned himself in to police after the shooting and has been jailed ever since.

April Jace, 40, was a financial aid counselor at Biola University.

https://abc7.com/news/michael-jace-s...lling/1380085/

Thread Information