Thread: Stephen Hagin Sentenced to 40 Years in Prison in 2014 MS Murder of Brian Bachtel

Stephen Hagin Sentenced to 40 Years in Prison in 2014 MS Murder of Brian Bachtel

Brian Bachtel

Amber Slocum

Stephen Hagin

Remains found in Pass Christian identified

HARRISON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - Officials in Harrison County have positively identified the skeletal remains of a man found in Pass Christian on Friday using dental records. Sheriff Melvin Brisolara said the

Harrison County Coroner‘s office identified the remains as those of 38-year-old Brian Bachtel on Wednesday.

WLOX News reported over the weekend that Stephen Hagin, 25, and Amber Slocum, 22, were arrested in connection with the remains. Brisolara said Hagin is charged with capital murder and Slocum is charged with accessory to the crime.

Authorities said Bachtel was reported missing on June 15. Brisolara said he was last seen in his car on June 5, leaving a friend's house in Saucier. Officials said investigators determined that Bachtel had met with Hagin on the day of his disappearance.

Witnesses pointed investigators to an apartment complex on Highway 49 where Hagin and Slocum where hiding out from police. Authorities arrested Hagin and Slocum on Friday.

Brisolara said investigators learned that Bachtel's car could be found on property near Hagin's mother's home in the 16000 block of Bell Creek Road in Pass Christian. A search warrant for the property was obtained around 10 p.m. on Friday. Brisolara said investigators found Bachtel's car and remains near the back of the property.

Brisolara said Hagin shot Bachtel during a robbery on the property and then attempted to dispose of the car and remains. Officials believe they have recovered the shotgun used in the shooting.

Brisolara said Slocum was involved in the planning of the robbery but not the murder.

Authorities tell us Hagin is being held without bond, and Slocum is being held on a $100,000 bond.

http://www.wdam.com/story/25861013/r...ian-identified
    Last edited by Helen; 06-25-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Bachtel family mourns loss of loved one

By Christina Garcia
    WLOX

HARRISON COUNTY, MS - The family of that Saucier man found dead in Pass Christian last week are preparing to bury their loved one Wednesday. According to Harrison County Sheriff's investigators, Brian Bachtel was shot in the head during a robbery and his suspected killer is behind bars.

While that's given some relief to Bachtel's family, they say they still can't make sense of his death.

Karen and Richard Bachtel say they're still in disbelief as they look at the future grave site of their son 38-year-old Brian Bachtel. The father of three was trained as a carpenter. Friends and family say he was outgoing, and protective of his family.

"I just will never understand it. It's something I'll never understand. And how anyone could takes someone's life is just barbaric to me," Karen said.

Family members say June 2nd was the last time he was seen by loved ones. On that day he was at the home of his sister Devan.

"He was always really good at helping people. When they called him, he ran and helped. And I needed some stuff moved out of storage and he came and helped me last minute. And then I gave him a hug goodbye," Devan said.

Devan says she noticed her brother wasn't acting normal that day.

"He was out of character. He was very out of character that day. I tried to get him to stay at my home, but he didn't he refused," said Devan.

Karen says she knew something was wrong when Brian when didn't respond to several text messages she sent him.

"When I said, son do you need anything? I'll come to you. I got good news about one of your sons and when he didn't answer that, I knew right then and there that he was gone," said Karen.

Three weeks later, Brian's body was discovered behind a home on Bell Creek Road in Pass Christian. After so many weeks of uncertainty, family members have found some relief from his body being recovered and his suspected killer being put behind bars.

"I've got that much justice already, even though he hasn't had his court date yet," said Karen.

As family members continue to grieve, Karen takes comfort in knowing he'll never be forgotten.

"You'll always be present at your home. And you'll always be loved by me and your dad and your children and your wife. And your friends," said Karen.

Stephen Hagin has been charged with capital murder in connection with Brian's death. Hagin's girlfriend, Amber Slocum has been charged as an accessory.

Brian will be buried next to his nephew at Wolf River Cemetery Wednesday, June 3 at 10 a.m. An account to cover his funeral costs has been set up at Hancock Bank under the name Brian Bachtel.

http://www.wdam.com/story/25931468/b...s-of-loved-one
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Hearing set in Harrison County capital murder case

BY ROBIN FITZGERALD
    The Sun Herald

GULFPORT -- A preliminary hearing has been set for Aug. 5 in the capital murder case against Stephen Hagin, accused of killing a man whose body was in the final stages of decomposition when his remains were found.

Hagin, 26, is accused of shooting 38-year-old Brian Edwin Bachtel of Saucier during a robbery near Pass Christian in June.

Hagin also is from Saucier.

The case is set before Harrison County Court Judge Gaston Hewes.

Hagin has been in custody with no bond since his arrest June 20. At the time, he was on probation for a felony conviction of taking away of a vehicle.

Bachtel was last seen leaving a friend's house June 5 and driving a black 1998 Honda Accord that belonged to his friend. His family reported him missing June 15.

Court papers show sheriff's investigators were told Hagin had bragged about robbing and shooting Bachtel and disposing of his body and the car at the house of his mother's boss.

Investigators searched the 16400 block of Bells Creek Road on June 20. They found skeletal remains and the car in woods behind the home.

Bachtel was identified with the use of dental records. An autopsy showed he died of a gunshot wound to the head.

He was married with children and was a carpenter by trade.

Hagin and Amber Leigh Slocum, also known as Amber Hagin, were arrested at Lyman Manor apartments.

Slocum, 23, is held at the county jail on a charge of accessory after the fact to capital murder. Her bond is $100,000.

http://www.sunherald.com/2014/07/21/...on-county.html

Last edited by Helen; 07-22-2014 at 12:13 PM.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Detective: Man shot to death and robbed of meth in Pass Christian

Grand jury to review capital murder case

BY ROBIN FITZGERALD
    The Sun Herald

GULFPORT -- Stephen Hagin shot Brian Bachtel in his left ear and robbed him of meth because he didn't have $100 to buy the drug, a Harrison County sheriff's investigator testified Tuesday.

Judge Gaston Hewes Jr. ordered the capital murder case bound over to a grand jury at a preliminary hearing in Harrison County Court.

Hagin, 26, is held with no bond. He is accused of killing Bachtel, a 38-year-old Saucier resident, in June.

Capital murder is a killing that occurs during the act of another felony. The underlying charge in this case is robbery. Capital murder is punishable by death or life without parole.

Herman Cox, county prosecuting attorney, said an investigator testified the evidence shows Hagin planned to rob Bachtel of meth and used a shotgun an acquaintance kept on his tractor in the rural Pass Christian neighborhood of Bell Creek Road.

Bachtel was last seen June 2 when he borrowed a woman's car. The woman later called his family to say he hadn't returned. He was reported missing June 15.

Deputies found his skeletal remains and the car June 20 after investigators received a call from a confidential informant. The informant said Hagin and his girlfriend had been living with a couple in Lyman, and Hagin had bragged about killing Bachtel and threatened to kill them if they told anyone.

Hagin, who has triangle-shaped tattoos above and below his left eye, was on probation for a grand larceny conviction. Deputies arrested him on a probation warrant and took his girlfriend, 23-year-old Amber Slocum, into protective custody.

Slocum told investigators Hagin had planned the robbery and she was going with him but they argued and she left, according to testimony.

Investigators arrested Slocum on a charge of accessory after the fact to murder. She is held on a $100,000 bond.

Slocum told them where they could find the body and the car, Cox said.

Deputies went to a home on Bell Creek Road and saw the car's tail lights in woods. They found Bachtel's remains nearby. The car and his remains had been covered with limbs and brush.

The evidence, Cox said, shows Bachtel was shot at close range inside the car and his body was dragged out. He said deputies found a bloody shotgun under a bed at the home of the unsuspecting acquaintance.

"This defendant killed a man just to get meth," Cox said. "This just shows how destructive the drug can be."

http://www.sunherald.com/2014/08/05/...-to-death.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Harrison County murder trial moved to March

By WLOX Staff
    WLOX News

HARRISON COUNTY, MS - The murder trial of Stephen Hagin has been moved to March 27. Prosecutors accuse Hagin of killing Brian Bachtel in June of 2014 and dumping his body behind a Pass Christian home.

Investigators believe Hagin shot Bachtel in the head during an armed robbery and dumped his body in a wooded area near his mother’s home off Bell Creek Rd. Officials used dental records and x-rays to identify Bachtel’s badly decomposed body.

Hagin’s girlfriend, Amber Slocum, is also charged in the case. She is charged with accessory after the fact. Authorities believe Slocum helped plan the robbery but not the murder.

http://www.wdam.com/story/34237622/h...moved-to-march

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Mistrial declared in slaying of man found near Pass Christian

By Robin Fitzgerald
    The Sun Herald

GULFPORT - A judge declared a mistrial Wednesday in the murder case against Stephen Hagin, arrested in the 2014 shooting of Brian Bachtel.

Bachtel’s skeletal remains were found near Pass Christian on June 20, 2014. He’d been missing more than two weeks when his remains were found in woods behind a Bells Creek Road home. Hagin, 29, is from Saucier. So was Bachtel, who was 38.

The defense on the first day of trial this week invoked a court rule that one’s spouse could not testify against them, District Attorney Joel Smith said.

Hagin’s wife was not allowed to testify for the prosecution, he said.

Circuit Judge Lisa Dodson declared a mistrial when testimony arose of hearsay comments Hagin’s wife gave deputies after his arrest.

Hagin had been arrested on a capital murder charge. A Harrison County grand jury indicted him on a murder charge.

Smith said the trial has been rescheduled for Sept. 11.

Hagin remains in custody. He is held with no bond.

http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/...141548374.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Saucier man sentenced to 40 years in 2014 murder

By WLOX Staff

HARRISON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - It was a drug deal gone wrong. That's why a Saucier man said he shot another man to death in 2014. Now, Steven Hagin will spend the next 40 years in prison for the murder of Brian Bachtel.

Prosecutors say Hagin, 29, pleaded guilty Tuesday to second degree murder in the death of Bachtel, who shot to death in June 2014 and dumped in a wooded area in Harrison County. Because Hagin is a habitual offender, officials say he will serve his sentence day-for-day without the possibility of parole.

Bachtel's family reported him missing on June 15, 2014, nearly two weeks after they had last seen him. Prosecutors say Harrison County Sheriff's Office quickly narrowed in on Hagin as a suspect. Deputies found Hagin hiding in a friend's apartment on June 20, 2014.

The district attorney's office said Hagin admitted to investigators that he shot Bachtel with a .410 handgun because he did not have enough money to buy drugs that he had asked Bachtel to bring him. Hagin reportedly told investigators that he hid the body in the woods after he shot him.

Sheriff's deputies were able to locate the body later that same night in a wooded area off Bell Creek Road in the northern part of Harrison County. Bachtel's vehicle - which had also been reported missing by family - was also found there, as well. Authorities say the body was badly decomposed, with only the skeletal remains left.

"Investigators also found the shotgun used to commit the murder in a nearby house," said Alison Baker, the assistant district attorney who prosecuted the case. "The shotgun was sent to the State Crime Lab, where DNA matching the victim's blood was found on it."

During his guilty plea, prosecutors say Hagin apologized to the Bachtel's family and said he may have hallucinated, thinking Bachtel was attacking him after the pair had consumed drugs together.

At that point, Harrison County Circuit Court Judge Lisa Dodson told Hagin, "You have ruined your life and Brian Bechtel's life, all because of drugs." She then sentenced him to the maximum sentence available for the crime - 40 years without parole.

http://www.wlox.com/story/37230956/m...in-2014-murder

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information