Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan carries out first execution of 2014

Japan carries out first execution of 2014

Japan Thursday hanged a man on death row in the first execution of the year and the ninth since the government of the Liberal Democratic Party came to power at the end of 2012, the government said.

Masanori Kawasaki, 68, was executed in Osaka in western Japan for the murder of his two granddaughters and sister-in-law in 2007, Japan’s Minister of Justice, Sadakazu Tanigaki said.

Japan, along with the US, is the only industrialised and democratic country that still uses the death penalty.

The execution is done under great secrecy, without prior notice to the offender and no witnesses, and is disclosed to the public only once it has been carried out.

Kawasaki was sentenced to death for killing his sister-in-law and three- and five-year-old granddaughters with a knife in the Kagawa province in southern Japan.

The convict went to his sister-in-law’s house “out of spite”, and after killing her and the two girls, he took their bodies to bury them in another location in an attempt to conceal his crime, according to police investigation.

“It is a very cruel case, since he took the valuable lives of three people for a selfish reason,” the Japanese minster said.

Tanigaki added that it was “very hard for the victims’ families”, and that the authorities “have reviewed the case carefully before carrying out the execution”.

The minister, however, did not give an explanation as to why Kawasaki was chosen to be hanged out of a total of 128 prisoners currently awaiting execution in Japan.

He also said that the government “has no intention of reviewing the death penalty system for now”.

The last round of executions took place Dec 12 last year when two prisoners were executed in Tokyo and Osaka.

Japanese media such as the Asahi daily attribute the gap between the December executions and the one Thursday to the case of Iwao Hakamada.

Hakamada was released in March after spending 46 years in prison awaiting the death penalty after new evidence was discovered about the multiple murders for which he had been convicted.

Hakamada, 78, considered to be the man who has spent the longest time on death row in the world, is an ex-boxer suffering from a mental illness.

He was sentenced to death in 1968 but his sentence was suspended by a Japanese court that decided to review his case.

The minister of justice has defended the death penalty on several occasions using the argument that most Japanese support this system.

http://freepressjournal.in/japan-car...ution-of-2014/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    The minister of justice has defended the death penalty on several occasions using the argument that most Japanese support this system.
    And no doubt most Germans supported Hitler's actions against the Jews, etc, etc,. After all he changed the laws so everything was legal!

Hmm, here in the United States, our President breaks laws, and is obviously against the death penalty, and his approval rating is low, while death penalty support remains the same. What's your point?

Weekly Obama Job Approval Dips to 41%, Near Personal Low

June 24, 2014

Jan
    What is wrong with you blackadder? You can't compare the holocaust with the death penalty. Hitler ordered the murder of million innocent people. The death penalty is for murderers who have the right to appeal.
    And why do you think that Germans supported the holocaust? There are no representative studies on this because everyone who said he was against it was killed too. What is wrong with the death penalty if most Japanese support it? This is democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    What is wrong with you blackadder?
    He/She is an anti death penalty idiot with opinions not facts!

Senior Member Member OperaGhost84's Avatar
    Godwin's Law, you loose! I'll say it again. You're continent has a rich and storied history of state sponsored mass death. Millions gassed and shot by the Nazi's, over fifty million shot, worked, and starved to death in Russia and that's only the last century.

And then there's my country which, in it's busiest year, only totalled 90 executions. All after extensive trials and appeals

And then there's Japan, which has a very intense Honor Culture (imagine that? Maybe we wouldn't have to execute so many if that virtue was installed early in our children) that demands retribution for grievances. That's why they still support it
    I am vehemently against Murder. That's why I support the Death Penalty.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OperaGhost84 View Post
    Godwin's Law, you loose! I'll say it again. You're continent has a rich and storied history of state sponsored mass death. Millions gassed and shot by the Nazi's, over fifty million shot, worked, and starved to death in Russia and that's only the last century.

And then there's my country which, in it's busiest year, only totalled 90 executions. All after extensive trials and appeals
    Godwin's law aside, there are 50 countries in blackadder's continent, all of which are very different. My girlfriend lives in a country which doesn't use the Latin alphabet and is as socially conservative as parts of the mid west, whereas a country that allows people to smoke cannabis is a short boat ride from me. Then you have Denmark with the highest government tax take in the world and the free market haven of Switzerland.

"European" as a social identity largely speaking doesn't exist, except in the minds of politicians and American outsiders. I was born in Britain, grew up in Britain with British culture and British values, and these are different to those of Germany. I'm only European in a legal sense, in that it gives me rights with regard to other countries who's citizens have the same status. Such as the right to enter and remain in Greece unimpeded, or work in France should I wish to.

And then there's Japan, which has a very intense Honor Culture (imagine that? Maybe we wouldn't have to execute so many if that virtue was installed early in our children) that demands retribution for grievances. That's why they still support it
    I think death sentences are actually quite restricted in Japan, even though the legislation limiting them is looser than it is in the US.

But I've also read when you account for murder rates and population, you get about the same rate of execution in Japan that you do in the US.

Which doesn't mean mistakes are made, incompetence and corruption employed.

So that 90 executions, not having much effect on the murder rate, is it? It could just be that the DP is not a deterrent and only an act of revenge!

The death penalty is the punishment not revenge!

Senior Member Member OperaGhost84's Avatar
    I'm not saying European countries are genocidal dictatorships, I'm just sick of people using Europe's previous genocidal dictators as an assault on the American Justice System. But what I can tell you for sure is that those 90 people will never kill another person again.
    I am vehemently against Murder. That's why I support the Death Penalty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information