Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore

Singapore

Singapore hangs two convicted drug dealers

Singapore on Friday hanged two convicted drug dealers in the first executions since a moratorium was imposed in 2011 to review a mandatory death penalty law, the anti-narcotics bureau said.

Tang Hai Liang, 36, had been convicted of trafficking 89.55 grams (3.2 ounces) of pure heroin and Foong Chee Peng, 48, had been found guilty of dealing 40.23 grams of the same illegal drug. Both are Singaporeans.

Singapore law allows the death penalty to be imposed by a court if the amount of heroin trafficked involves 15 grams or more.

The Central Narcotics Bureau said that both men had chosen not to apply for resentencing under a law that took effect last year which abolished the mandatory death sentence in some murder and drug trafficking cases under certain conditions.

"Both of them understood the consequences of their respective decisions," the bureau said in a statement, adding that they had been represented by counsel during the entire legal process.

The death penalty used to be mandatory in the city-state for crimes such as murder, firearms offences and drug trafficking above a certain volume. This left judges with no choice but to impose capital punishment upon conviction.

But parliament in November 2012 passed the legal reforms which took effect last year.

Under the new legal regime, those facing the death penalty are given the opportunity to ask for resentencing under certain circumstances.

Judges now have discretion to impose life imprisonment on a person convicted of murder if the individual did not intend to kill.

They can also impose a life term on a drug courier who cooperated with authorities in a "substantive way" or is suffering from an abnormality that "substantially impaired his mental responsibility for committing the offence".

Since the law took effect last year, nine convicts have applied for resentencing and have had their sentences reduced to life imprisonment, the Ministry of Home Affairs said in a separate statement Friday.

Human rights groups have called on Singapore to abolish capital punishment, carried out by hanging since British colonial rule.

But the government has rejected the calls, arguing death sentences for the most serious cases must remain as a crime deterrent.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-...113705281.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Jan
    I don't like those laws. 15 grams is not much and the death penalty for a little street dealer is not right. I don't want to defend drugs but a mandatory death sentence for little drug offenses is wrong. They should execute the really big fishes in the drug business but not the small ones they can catch on the streets.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    I'm guessing it's due to the long time status of Singapore as a major transit hub and due to where it is. They want a draconian deterant in place to prevent their country being turned into a international drugs shipping route.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Shep3's Avatar
    They do it because Singapore is the size of Chicago and before independence was a natirisois drug and crime den since these harsh laws took effect Singapore has now got one of the lowest crime rates Of The world per capita.

What does "natirisois" mean?

Member Newbie
    Fifteen grams of pure Heroin is not a small amount. After being cut to street level dosage it will keep about 600 hardcore addicts pleasantly sated for a day or provide a joy ride for a couple of thousand recreational users.

Quote Originally Posted by Moh View Post
    LOL I thought he meant notorious??
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Well, you're Canadian. Do you think it might be a Québécois word?

Quote Originally Posted by Moh View Post
    Notorious. Shep views the site from a cell phone, and sometimes auto correct is stupid!
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    I was guessing autocorrect as well!

I just googled it and this page appears to be the only place that word has ever been used!

I have a phone that changes "Chelmsford", the name of a town I live near to "Agelordord", and there's also Backlame.

Ah, technology that doesn't quite work, you are funny

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information