Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Ruiz Lobo Sentenced to LWOP in 2014 FL Murder of 11-year-old Martha Guzman

Miguel Ruiz Lobo Sentenced to LWOP in 2014 FL Murder of 11-year-old Martha Guzman

11-year-old Martha Guzman

Police arrest Miami man in stabbing death of 11-year-old girl

By Charles Rabin and Brenda Medina

Miguel Ruiz Lobo, upset that his girlfriend broke up with him, sneaked into her home and stabbed her 11-year-old daughter to death on June 22, 2014. He then tried to make the stabbing look like it was a suicide, police said.

When Amaury Alvarenga returned to her Little Havana home, she found her daughter, Martha Guzman, in a pool of blood, with a knife sticking out from her throat.

“The daughter and him didn’t get along. She convinced her mother to dump him,” Miami Police Chief Manuel Orosa said Monday.

Police said Lobo made a crucial mistake in his attempted coverup: In trying to make the death look like a suicide, he sliced through tendons in the girl’s wrists, making it impossible for her to be able to stab herself in the throat.

The child had a history of cutting herself in what her mother described as a cry for help.

Lobo, 42, was brought to police headquarters Monday and charged with first-degree murder and occupied burglary. Police said he refused to cooperate and asked for an attorney.

Police had Lobo on their radar since the June 25 death. They said they had a copy of video surveillance from a neighboring home that shows him entering and leaving between 10:28 and 11 a.m., the time the medical examiner believes Martha was killed.

Martha’s mother discovered the body when she returned home from the laundry at 3:28 p.m., police records show.

Fearing Lobo would try to make a run for his native Honduras, police denied he was a suspect at the time of the killing.

Police said they have matched DNA found in skin under Martha’s fingernails to Lobo, who — when first contacted by police — had cuts and scratches on his body.

“It shows she was fighting him off, but he was so big she wouldn’t have been able to,” Orosa said.

Lobo is six feet, four inches tall, and weighs at least 220 pounds. A records check with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement shows he was arrested in February for driving without a license. There were no other crimes listed.

Orosa said that Alvarenga had been adamant from the start that Lobo had killed her daughter. Shortly after the death, Alvarenga spoke of her daughter’s troubled history — she suffers from bouts of self-mutilation — but said the child would not have had the courage to commit suicide.

“I took her to the doctor and the doctor talked to her and she said she would never do it again,” she said of the cutting.

The family had a history with the state’s Department of Children & Families.

Public records also indicate Alvarenga was involved in a troubled relationship and that she made an attempt to keep herself and her daughter safe.

Alvarenga, who works at a school on Fisher Island, filed a petition on March 31 with Miami-Dade County Circuit Court to have a restraining order placed on Lobo.

In the filing, she said she was on her way to work and was waiting for the ferry to Fisher Island in late March when she spotted Lobo, who was intoxicated. She said that Lobo grabbed her shirt, but that she broke free and got on the ferry as security guards subdued him. Police were not called.

The motion before Acting Circuit Court Judge Judith Rubenstein was denied initially when she ruled “there is no appearance of an immediate and present danger of domestic violence.”

A hearing was set for April 14, when Alvarenga’s request was denied for a final time.

Jorge Guzman, Martha’s father, said on Monday that he hopes Lobo pays for the death of his daughter with a harsh sentence.

“I feel a little better knowing he was arrested. I know this is not going to bring back my daughter,” Guzman said.

A week after Martha’s death, Guzman and Alvarenga brought her body back to Olanchito, Honduaras, where both parents are from, and buried her.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/2...-stabbing.html

Last edited by Helen; 07-21-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Miguel Ruiz Lobo proclaims innocence in Miami girl's death

A man accused of killing an 11-year-old Miami girl and trying to make it look like a suicide was denied bond Tuesday.

Miguel Ruiz Lobo proclaimed his innocence as he faced a judge during his initial court appearance.

Miami Police Chief Manuel Orosa said Lobo, 42, killed Martha Guzman on June 22, slashing the girl's wrists to make it look like she killed herself.

"I am innocent," Lobo told the judge through an interpreter. "I had nothing to do with that."

Orosa said Lobo, who was an ex-boyfriend of Guzman's mother, used a hidden key to enter the girl's Little Havana apartment while she was home alone.

"He restrained her and after he killed her he slashed her wrists, but the wrists were slashed so far deep that they almost came off her arm and there's no way that a suicide victim would go that deep to be able to cut almost her entire wrist off her arm," Orosa said.

Orosa said Lobo was upset Guzman convinced her mother to break up with him.

According to the police report, surveillance video showed Lobo entering the home.

The police investigation found DNA underneath Guzman's fingernails linking Lobo to the crime.

Guzman's father cried as he watched Lobo face the judge.

"He killed my daughter," Jorge Guzman told Local 10 News.

Jorge Guzman said he feels better knowing Lobo will remain in jail.

http://www.local10.com/news/miguel-r...death/27088880
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Grand jury indicts Miami man in murder of 11-year-old girl

By David Ovalle

A grand jury Wednesday indicted a Miami man for first-degree murder in the vicious stabbing death of an 11-year-old girl in Little Havana.

That means prosecutors can now seek the death penalty for Miguel Ruiz Lobo, 42, for the June 25 slaying of Martha Guzman.

Authorities say Lobo, upset that his girlfriend had broken up with him, broke into the woman’s home. Martha was home and he stabbed her to death, then tried to make it look like a suicide, according to Miami police.

Martha’s mother came home to find a knife sticking out of the girl’s throat.

Detectives say Lobo, in trying to make the death look like a suicide, sliced through tendons in the girl’s wrists, making it impossible for her to be able to stab herself in the throat. Lobo’s DNA was also found in skin cells under her fingernails, suggesting she tried to fight the large man off when he attacked.

A neighbor’s surveillance video also shows Lobo entering and leaving the home at the time the girl was believed to have been murdered, police said.

Lobo is scheduled to make an appearance Thursday in court. He is also charged with armed burglary with assault.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/0...mi-man-in.html

Last edited by Helen; 08-06-2014 at 08:40 PM.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Father says he is ready to face his daughter's accused killer in court

Jorge Guzman, 51, said he was nervous Wednesday.

He also said he misses his 11-year-old daughter Martha, a sixth-grader at Lincoln-Marti in Little Havana, who was killed.

"She is resting in peace in Olanchito, in Honduras," Guzman said.

Her accused killer, Miguel Ruiz Lobo, 42, was set to appear in Miami-Dade court in front of Judge Stacy Glick Thursday. Guzman plans on being there.

"There is no sense in attacking him. I'll be sitting among guards, and I know justice will be done," Guzman said in Spanish. "He will get the electric chair. I know he will."

Both Guzman and Ruiz Lobo are from Honduras, and had children with Amaury Alvarenga, 40.

On June 22nd, Alvarenga left her Little Havana apartment to run an errand. When she returned she found Martha dead in a pool of blood in the living room.

When police arrived the girl had a knife sticking out of her throat, deep cuts in her wrists and her lips were swollen. Alvarenga was so distraught she was hospitalized.

Alvarenga told police that the father of her three-year-old boy, Ruiz Lobo, had been stalking her since they broke up earlier this year. He was her live-in boyfriend for about four years. There was domestic violence and substance abuse, she said.

Relatives said Martha had been suffering, because of the abusive relationship her mom had with Ruiz Lobo. She started cutting herself. The impulse-control behavior problem is often used to cope with emotional pain, intense anger and frustration.

Martha had asked her mom to end the relationship with Ruiz Lobo. He was aware of Martha's struggles, so police believe he tried to stage a suicide. He failed. Police said that he cut her tendons so severely that she couldn't have stabbed herself in the throat or vice versa.

"What he did was horrific," Guzman said in Spanish.

Ruiz Lobo said he is innocent. But surveillance video shows him entering the Little Havana building at 10:28 a.m. and leaving at 11 a.m. It was about the time, the medical examiner said Martha was killed.

Detectives also found Ruiz Lobo's DNA in the girl's nails. And he had scratches on his face and arms, when police were questioning him.

Ruiz Lobo is facing a first-degree murder charge and armed burglary and assault on occupants. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty. He will be in court about 9:30 a.m. Steven Yermish is his defense attorney.

http://www.local10.com/news/father-s...court/29284022
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member Member OperaGhost84's Avatar
    "There is no sense in attacking him. I'll be sitting among guards, and I know justice will be done," Guzman said in Spanish. "He will get the electric chair. I know he will."
    You and I both wish, Jorge Guzman.
    I am vehemently against Murder. That's why I support the Death Penalty.

Remembering a girl from Little Havana a year after her death

By Brenda Medina
    Miami Herald

A few months before her death, 11-year-old Martha Guzmán was watching a police TV show with her dad, Jorge Guzmán, when she asked him: "Dad, what is DNA?".

"I explained it to her as best as I could," said Guzmán, a Honduran immigrant living in Miami. "I told her that the police use it to find evidence in criminal cases."

The girl was murdered a short time after, on June 22, 2014, at her home in Little Havana. Authorities arrested her mother's ex boyfriend, Miguel Ruiz Lobo, as the suspect of the crime, partly due to a DNA test that revealed the skin found underneath Martha's fingernails matched Ruiz Lobo's.

"I think she fought and scratched him to leave evidence because of what I told her that day when we were watching television," Guzmán whispered while he stared at the floor. "She was so intelligent, so intelligent. My little girl was so intelligent."

A year after his daughter was found in a puddle of blood, with a knife stuck in her throat, Guzmán, family members, friends and neighbors cling on to memories to cope with her absence.

Meanwhile, the criminal case is still pending. However, it could be months or even years until Ruiz Lobo — who claims he is innocent and remains in jail — is taken to trial.

The tragic case profoundly impacted a community that knew the girl since she was born and affectionately called her Martica.

Shortly after the tragedy, her mother Amaurys Alvarenga — who has a 4 year-old son with Ruiz Lobo — moved to another neighborhood, taking nothing but a small plant in a pot. Alvarenga declined to comment for this article.

Family members and friends gathered once again last month at a Mass in honor of Martha's on the anniversary of death. Her friends from school and the neighborhood wore black shirts with pictures of Martha and the words "Rest in Peace" and "Rest in Paradise" printed on them. Almost all of them cried while they listened to the sermon.

"This was not an act of God. This was an expression of the level of violence that exists in the world," said the Rev. Yader Centeno at the San Juan Bosco Catholic Church in Little Havana.

According to authorities, Ruiz Lobo waited for Alvarenga to leave her apartment the morning of June 22 and, realizing that Martha was alone, entered and stabbed her.

The suspect cut the girl's forearms in an attempt to make it seem as if she had committed suicide, police said. He was aware that she had cut herself before.

Alvarenga had separated from Ruiz Lobo a few months earlier, after her daughter asked her to kick him out of the house. A security video from a nearby building shows the man entering and leaving the apartment during the hours in which authorities said the crime took place.

When Alvarenga found her daughter thrown on the floor, her screams were heard throughout the building and neighbors ran to the apartment. The scene that day — of a distraught mother hugging her bloodied daughter — remains intact in the memory of children and adults who witnessed it.

"My granddaughter still has her tough nights. She has nightmares and comes to my bed to sleep with me," said Mayra Vilar, a Cuban neighbor whose 13 year-old granddaughter grew up and went to school with Martha. "Her death impacted my granddaughter so much. They were best friends. There's photos of them in their baby walkers right along this hall."

Vilar said last year's Christmas and New Year's parties, as well as any birthday celebrations held, were not the same without Martha.

"I see my granddaughter go to a corner and stay silent and sometimes I ask her what's wrong. She doesn't want to talk but we know she misses Martica."

Guzmán, who after separating from Alvarenga rented an apartment in the same neighborhood so he could remain close to his daughter, says holidays are now painful for him.

"On Father's Day, I was there locked in my room, alone," said Guzmán, who works in the construction industry and has four other children in New York and Honduras. "This is difficult. You just don't know how to continue on with your life."

But Vilar, who said she considered Martha as another granddaughter, is convinced that the beloved mischievous girl figured out how to continue accompanying her parents and her friends even in death.

Some days, Vilar goes out for a smoke close to an improvised playground for the girls living in the building, where Martha's parents had put in a swing with a green tire. She liked sitting on the tire for hours, moving side to side.

Martha's friends don't play there as often and they filled the walls with messages written with markers, wishing her eternal rest and telling her that they won't forget her.

When Vilar sees the tire moving with the breeze, she smiles and repeats the phrase she always told her:

"Martica, is that you? Be a good girl."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e26492239.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury selection continues in trial of Miami man accused of killing 11-year-old girl

By Cody Weddle
    Local 10 News

Nearly nine years after an 11-year-old’s brutal death, jury selection continued Tuesday in the trial of Miguel Ruiz Lobo, the man accused of fatally stabbing her.

Ruiz Lobo, then 42, is accused of killing Martha Guzman on June 22, 2014.

Police said Ruiz Lobo, who was an ex-boyfriend of Guzman’s mother, used a hidden key to enter the girl’s Little Havana apartment while she was home alone. Officials said Guzman slashed the girl's wrists to make it look like she killed herself.

They said he did it because the girl convinced her mother to break up with him.

During jury selection Tuesday, the state and defense questioned potential jurors about their opinions on the death penalty and whether they may be able to impose it should they find the now-51-year-old guilty.

Attorneys revealed the state will argue that Ruiz Lobo deserves to die because of the heinous and cruel nature of the crime, since his alleged victim was a young child, and since he also burglarized the home.

The defense mentioned that they may use Ruiz Lobo’s childhood living in poverty as a reason to spare his life.

The state is expected to present surveillance video showing Ruiz Lobo entering the home, as well as Guzman’s DNA, which was found under his fingernails.

Jury selection is expected to end on Monday. Opening statements in the trial were set to begin on April 3.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...year-old-girl/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man stands trial over 8 years after girl’s murder in Miami’s Little Havana

By Liane Morejon and Andrea Torres
    Local 10 News

MIAMI – Amaury Alvarenga told police officers that she walked into her apartment in Miami’s Little Havana to find her 11-year-old daughter, Martha Guzman, with a knife sticking out of her neck.

Detectives said the killer had attempted to stage a suicide, but the medical examiner reported the stabber had slashed Martha’s wrists so deep that the knife cut through her tendons.

“There’s no way that a suicide victim would go that deep to be able to cut almost her entire wrist off her arm,” Manuel Orosa, the then-Miami Police chief, said after the murder on June 25, 2014, at 834 NW 4 St.

Prosecutors said DNA and surveillance video pointed to Alvarenga’s ex-boyfriend Miguel Ruiz Lobo, who was standing trial for the murder over eight years later on Monday in Miami-Dade County court.

Investigators identified the DNA under Martha’s fingernails belonged to Ruiz Lobo and found surveillance video that showed he arrived at the crime scene shortly before 10:30 a.m. and left at about 11 a.m.

Ruiz Lobo, who claims to be innocent, has been in the custody of Miami-Dade Corrections and Rehabilitation since July 21, 2014, after a grand jury indicted him when he was 42 years old. Records show he marked his 51st birthday in March at the Metrowest Detention Center.

Miami-Dade County Circuit Judge Marisa Tinkler Mendez is presiding over his trial for first-degree murder and occupied burglary.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...rder-in-miami/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Miami surgeon says slain girl suffered ‘destructive’ stab wounds ‘over and over’

Local 10 News

MIAMI – Martha Guzman was 11 years old and home alone when a man she knew used a key her mom had kept hidden to enter the Miami apartment that she shared with her family and stab her, prosecutors said.

Miguel Ruiz Lobo used to be her mother’s live-in boyfriend. It had been about five months since he and her mother had broken up. Her mother’s requests for restraining orders had been denied.

Nearly nine years later, prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Ruiz Lobo who is on trial for first-degree murder and occupied burglary. He appeared in court Wednesday before Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Marisa Tinkler Mendez, as the jury listened to the testimony of a crime scene technician, and Dr. Nicholas Namias, a trauma surgeon who saw Martha at Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center.

“I just remember seeing this horrible — more than a stab wound on the left neck and wrist,” Namias said. “Suicide attempts with a knife are usually some clean single wound, not over and over or destructive.”

Ruiz Lobo’s defense claims he had absolutely nothing to do with the girl’s murder. Prosecutors say they have incriminating DNA evidence and surveillance video to show otherwise.

Detectives believe it took Ruiz Lobo about 30 minutes to kill Martha. Prosecutors played a video in court showing Ruiz Lobo arriving at the crime scene shortly before 10:30 a.m. and leaving at about 11 a.m. Investigators reported the DNA under Martha’s fingernails belonged to Ruiz Lobo, who had scratches on his face and arms.

Martha’s mother Amaury Alvarenga told the jury on Tuesday that she walked into her apartment on June 25, 2014, at 834 NW 4 St., in Miami’s Little Havana, to find her daughter curled up on the floor — with a knife sticking out of her neck and cuts on her wrists.

“She had three cuts in the neck and the knife stuck in her throat,” Alvarenga said in Spanish later adding, “I ripped it off her throat and tossed it aside ... Her eyes were all glued together with tears.”

Alvarenga also said that the decision to break up with Ruiz Lobo was related to his alcoholism and emotionally abusive behavior. During her opening statement, Miami-Dade Assistant State Attorney Laura Adams said Ruiz Lobo had blamed Martha for asking her mother to break up with him.

“This was personal,” Adams said.

Ruiz Lobo had cut Martha’s wrists in an attempt to fool others into thinking that she had committed suicide, but detectives didn’t buy it, Adams said.

Before the trial, the medical examiner reported the stabber had slashed her wrists so deep that the knife cut through her tendons, so she couldn’t have stabbed herself in the neck.

The witness testimony on Monday included Martha’s older sister Stefanie Rivera who said Ruiz Lobo had told her that he didn’t like her sister, and Officer Suney Lastra, a Miami police veteran, who said Martha was “somebody innocent who did not deserve this.”

The trial is scheduled to continue at 9 a.m., on April 10.

Ruiz Lobo has been in the custody of Miami-Dade Corrections and Rehabilitation since July 21, 2014, after a grand jury indicted him when he was 42 years old. Records show he marked his 51st birthday in March at the Metrowest Detention Center. If the jury finds him guilty, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...over-and-over/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

By fighting back, girl helps forensic investigators to identify suspect in her Miami murder

Local 10 News

MIAMI – DNA evidence took center stage on Tuesday afternoon during the trial of a man who stands accused of killing his ex-girlfriend’s daughter nearly nine years ago in Miami.

The skin under 11-year-old Martha Guzman’s fingernails indicated that she had fought back and by scratching her killer she had helped investigators to identify him as Miguel Ruiz Lobo, according to prosecutors.

“That foreign male DNA profile from the fingernail clippings matches the DNA profile from Miguel Ruiz,” Sharon Hinez, a forensic investigator, said about the skin under Martha’s fingernails.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Ruiz Lobo, 51, who insists he didn’t kill Martha. His trial for the June 22, 2014 murder in Miami’s Little Havana neighborhood began on April 3.

A woman who lived with Ruiz Lobo also testified on Tuesday. Aracely Andino said she was never going to forget the day when Martha, who she lovingly referred to as “La Chinita,” was killed.

“I screamed and cried, and cried,” Andino said in Spanish about her reaction to the news.

Andino said her son is married to Martha’s older sister. She said that when Martha’s mother, Amaury Albarenga, and Ruiz Lobo broke up, she rented a room to him at her apartment for $400 a month — a decision she would come to regret.

After learning about Martha’s murder, she said she quickly knocked on Ruiz Lobo’s door and told him Martha had been killed. She said the two rushed to the crime scene to meet with Albarenga.

Andino also said that even after she learned that he was a suspect, Ruiz Lobo continued living in her house.

“I didn’t think he would do anything to me,” Andino said in Spanish.

Detectives accused Ruiz Lobo of slashing Martha’s wrists and stabbing her in the neck after obtaining surveillance video showing him arriving at Albarenga’s apartment when Martha was home alone and leaving before Albarenga found her dead.

The jury recently watched the video. Detectives believe it took Ruiz Lobo about 30 minutes to kill Martha. The video shows Ruiz Lobo arriving shortly before 10:30 a.m. and leaving at about 11 a.m. Earlier in the trial, Albarenga testified about the gruesome crime scene through tears.

“She had three cuts in the neck and the knife stuck in her throat,” Albarenga said on April 4 in Spanish.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...-miami-murder/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information