Thread: Botched execution nothing to lose sleep over

Botched execution nothing to lose sleep over

By CHUCK MUTH

So bleeding heart liberals are in a tizzy over the fact that it took almost two hours for Joseph Rudolph Wood to die after his lethal injection in Arizona on Wednesday. His attorneys claim their client was “gasping and snorting” for an hour, and death penalty opponents will certainly use this incident to complain of cruel and unusual punishment.

You know what I think is cruel and unusual? What Wood did to land on death row in the first place, that’s what.

According to the Arizona Department of Corrections website, Wood “had been involved in a turbulent relationship for 5 years,” including “numerous breakups and several domestic violence incidents” with his ex-girlfriend, 29-year-old Debbie Dietz.

Twenty-nine years old. Her whole life still ahead of her. Now here’s the rest of the story…

“Debbie was working at a local body shop owned by her family. On August 7, 1989, Wood walked into the shop and shot Gene Dietz, age 55, in the chest with a .38 caliber revolver, killing him.

“Gene Dietz’s 70-year-old brother was present and tried to stop Wood, but Wood pushed him away and proceeded into another section of the body shop.

“Wood went up to Debbie, placed her in some type of hold, and shot her once in the abdomen and once in the chest, killing her. Wood then fled the building.

“Two police officers approached Wood and ordered him to drop his weapon. After Wood placed the weapon on the ground, he reached down and picked it up, and pointed it at the officers. The officers fired, striking Wood several times. Wood was transported to a local hospital where he underwent extensive surgery.”

So this guy beats up his girlfriend multiple times. She breaks up with him. He shows up at her place of business without warning. Kills her father for no reason. Kills his ex for breaking up with him. Then tries to kill two police officers.

And I’m supposed to feel badly that this murderous piece of human garbage didn’t die a quick and totally painless death? Wood got to live almost 25 years longer than the two people whose lives he snuffed out. How are their murders not cruel and unusual punishment for both the victims and their families?

As for death penalty opponents who claim the death penalty is not a deterrent, let me assure you that thanks to the death penalty Joseph Rudolph Wood absolutely, positively, without a doubt, will never, ever murder an innocent person again. He has been permanently deterred!

As for the afterlife, I can only hope that when Wood reaches the Gates of Hades, Saddam Hussein is the greeter, takes a fancy to him, and makes him his boy-toy for eternity. Rest in pain, Mr. Wood. Rest in pain.

http://elkodaily.com/news/opinion/co...ment_form=true
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    I agree. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Gasping/snorting/snoring during unconsciousness is not a sign of suffering, and not at all uncommon. Definitely nothing cruel or unusual.

PHILLIPS: The myth of botched executions

By Judson Phillips

On Wednesday, the State of Arizona executed Joseph Wood.

The left-wing media immediately jumped on the case, calling it a “botched execution.”

To begin with, the execution wasn’t botched. He’s dead, isn’t he?

Wood was convicted of two counts of first-degree murder. The murders occurred in 1989. Wood was convicted and sentenced to death in 1991. He spent 23 years on death row while tax payer funded lawyers cranked out every strategy possible to stop or delay his execution.

The botching was not the execution. The botching was that it took 23 years.

There was never any doubt about Wood’s guilt. He killed the father of his ex-girlfriend and then killed his ex-girlfriend. The killed was witnessed by employees of the auto shop where the father worked.

The problem with the death penalty in America is that liberals have taken a system that worked, broke it and then claimed the system is so broken it must be abolished. This is sort of like Barack Obama’s approach to immigration.

In the ‘80s and ‘90s, the left made two major pushes against the death penalty. The first was the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act, which Bill Clinton signed in 1996. The left claimed there were massive numbers of death penalty cases being set aside for “ineffective assistance of counsel.” There weren’t that many, but that did not stop the left. What the Effective Death Penalty Act did was create a gravy train for anti-death penalty lawyers. Judges were trained to never turn down a request by court appointed lawyers for funds in death penalty cases. Lawyers were taught out to get everything they wanted, driving the costs of these cases up.

But the left also pushed for the abolition of other forms of execution in favor of lethal injection. They argued lethal injection was more “humane” than the other forms of execution that were being used at the time, such as the electric chair, the gas chamber, hanging or the firing squad.

By the early 2000s, most states had gone to lethal injection. Then the left made a coordinated attack on lethal injection. Anti-death penalty lawyers have gone after the sources of the drugs that are used, often forcing states to use alternative drugs or compounding pharmacies. These same lawyers demanded the identity of these pharmacies be revealed so presumably the pharmacy could then be harassed.

Chief Judge Alex Kozinski, of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, suggested that the states should go back to firing squads for execution.

The Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishments. At the time the time the Constitution was written, being drawn and quartered or boiled in oil were punishments our founding fathers wanted to prohibit. For decades after the Constitution was ratified, flogging was still a legal punishment aboard Navy Ships.

Judge Kozinski is right.

If the left wants to make war on lethal injection, let’s go back to the old fashioned killing of condemned prisoners. Ten to 20 shooters with high powered rifles at short range firing several shots each rapidly is going to quickly kill someone.

The real outrage with executions is not that a convicted murderer like Joseph Wood may have suffered some discomfort. According to the State of Arizona he was sedated the whole time so he would not have felt anything.

The real outrage is that it takes 23 years for a sentence to be executed.

That is the outrage.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz38h5mxsI7

Senior Member Frequent Poster elsie's Avatar
    Love the article by Mr. Phillips.
    Proverbs 21:15 "When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous but terror to evil doers."

'Botched execution nothing to lose sleep over', well it's against your constitution, so what else in there is not worth bothering about? I think you should tell us?

First off the execution was not botched. (botch /bäCH/ verb informal past tense: botched; past participle: botched carry out (a task) badly or carelessly) Which was not the case in the execution of Joseph Rudolph Wood III. Wood went unconscious and remained that way until his death. Where is the violation of the Bill of Rights Amendment VIII?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardal View Post
    'Botched execution nothing to lose sleep over', well it's against your constitution, so what else in there is not worth bothering about? I think you should tell us?
    By the way, blackadder, I didn't approve your membership. Let's see how long it takes you to get banned this time.

I don´t believe that he suffered much. In fact I don´t care much. Centuries ago we had real cruel ways to execute inmates here in Europe, but L.I. is far away from being cruel. If the antis hadn´t tried to use the european anti-torture-act to stop drug export in the US it would be easy to buy the necessary and established drugs for the executions. Instead there was public pressure on companies like Lunkdbek (pentobarbital) or Fresenius (Propofol). They can´t sell these drugs to the US. Pentobarbital e.g. is used by Dignitas (a Swiss organisation that organizes suicides for terminally ill/handicaped persons). Over the decades there was no problem with the cocktail and no one blamed Dignitas. I bet many more people committed suicide with the assistance of Dignitas than DR-inmates in the US who've been executed.

So again - shame on you if you blame the state for being cruel. It´s the antis' fault that it seems that these murderers have a longer death!
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

I agree with you Michael, it is hypocritical of the European countries that have legal assisted suicide for people, to complain about the US putting to death a few dozen people a year who have committed atrocious crimes. If you want to say something is "cruel and inhumane", you should look at the lawyers who drag out the appeals for decades and the courts that grant last minute stays for frivolous reasons. Victims families are put through hell and it is those reasons why they often agree to LWOP, because they don't want to go through years of appeals and possibly even die before they get justice. If the courts and the DP lawyers really cared about the DP inmates they wouldn't put them on this "roller coaster ride" of justice and respect the decision of the 12 members of the jury that made the decision to sentence these people to death. Shame on them all for perverting the course of justice to suit their own anti agenda!
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information