Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bali Nine

It's kind of a harsh punishment. Nonetheless, it's shocking to me that people still dare to smuggle drugs into zero-tolerance countries such as Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Red China and Saudi Arabia.

Agreed. Sadly I will never even want to visit any of those countries just in case someone somehow slipped something into my bag and I got blamed for it.

Senior Member Frequent Poster stixfix69's Avatar
    I have been following this case pretty closely, and i just feel with the new Prez, he had to make a statement, which pretty much sealed their fate....I'm torn regarding this case, and i guess it is because we are just accustomed to seeing DR inmates executed for heinous murders...Having said that, it's their law, and they have the right to hand down this sentence, and really is no different than how the Saudis execute drug smugglers...

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    For all it seems harsh by our standards, and with drug trafficking there is the risk of planted drugs or people (especially those with mental illnesses) being duped into being mules, I can't fault them. They appear to have some degree of due process, and the death sentence is at the top of the scale for punishments that this offense carries rather than a mandatory punishment. So there has been opportunity to consider whether the sentence is justified in this case, and being as illicit drugs destroy so many lives it perhaps is in some cases.

The last wishes: Bali nine men brace for execution on Tuesday

Myuran Sukumaran has painted what could be his last self-portrait: a torso with a palm-sized black hole over the heart dripping with blood.

The eerie painting, brought back from Nusakambangan by their lawyer Julian McMahon, is a portent of Bali nine pair's ghastly fate – death by firing squad.

Sukumaran and Andrew Chan were officially given 72 hours warning of their executions on Saturday.

Chinthu Sukumaran said his brother's last wish was to paint for as long as possible. Chan's was to go to church with his family in his final days.

The Indonesian government has not officially announced the execution date but the men are bracing for Tuesday night - the earliest it could be held.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-last...26-1mtr7q.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Bali Nine ringleaders refuse to sign execution papers

Preparation ... Mortician B. Suhendroputro has been stencilling crosses with the names of victims to be shot by firing squad

Bali Nine ringleaders Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan have refused to sign their execution papers, saying their impending deaths by firing squad are unjust.

The pair told prosecutors in Indonesia they had already been rehabilitated and deserved a second chance, Australia's Herald Sun reports.

Family and friends of the drug smugglers have almost given up hope of saving their lives, as the execution date looms.

The pair has been told they'll face the firing squad as early as tomorrow, with their crosses already having been engraved.

The Herald Sun showed photos of a mortician stencilling the death row convicts' names on crosses, showing their date of death as being April 29.

The crosses will be placed on their coffins, which will be handed over to their families or Australian authorities after the executions take place, according to the paper.

Chintu Sukumaran says both his brother and Chan are facing a grave injustice.

"My brother and Andrew and seven other people, we ask the President to please use his powers and show mercy, to show the same mercy that I know that he has asked for Indonesian citizens in other countries. We ask the Indonesian President to please show mercy."

Sukumaran has requested that he be able to paint as much as possible until his execution, while Chan has asked to be allowed to go to church with his family, the Herald Sun reports.

http://www.3news.co.nz/world/bali-ni...#axzz3YUW3xkqi

richard johnson
    The so-called Bali Nine ringleaders, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, are also waiting for the outcome of their judicial reviews in the hope they will also escape the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by MRBAM View Post
    Agreed. Sadly I will never even want to visit any of those countries just in case someone somehow slipped something into my bag and I got blamed for it.
    Yeah, I once traveled from Phnom Penh to Paris via Bangkok and, in Paris, found Cambodian cash had been stashed in my checked-in luggage. It scared the living bejesus out of me.

I once asked a woman I know who works for the DEA how likely it is for an innocent, unbeknownst to them, to have drugs stashed in their baggage by a stranger and to have the innocent person end up taking the fall if law enforcement discovers the drugs. She thought it highly unlikely. I'm still not so sure though.

Globetrotting is overrated. Stay at home.

Edited

'Bali Nine' Convict Andrew Chan Marries in Indonesia Hours Before Possible Execution

An Australian death row convict married his girlfriend in prison on Monday, a day before his possible execution by an Indonesian firing squad for drug offences.

Andrew Chan, who was convicted in 2006 along with fellow Australian Myuran Sukumaran for trying to smuggle heroin out of Indonesia, exchanged vows with Indonesian fiancee Febyanti at a maximum security prison in central Java. A small group of family and friends attended the ceremony.

"It's tough times but it's happy times at the same time," Michael Chan, Andrew's brother, told reporters outside the Nusakambangan island jail, where the executions will take place. "We just hope that the president somewhere will find some compassion and mercy for these two, this young couple so they can carry on with their lives."

The married couple met while Chan was imprisoned in a Bali jail. Febyanti, an Indonesian pastor, regularly visited the jail as part of her work, local media said. Febyanti and other family members will no longer be able to visit Chan starting from Tuesday afternoon, hours before his expected execution.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ba...cution-n348931

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information