Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obama's executive amnesty/how are your immigration laws?

So Richard or anyone else from the UK how do your immigration laws compare to the USA? Are the equivalent of 12 to 20 million illegals in the UK now like there are here?

How does the UK deal with people who cross their border illegaly? How would the UK deal with all those thousands of illegal kids who crossed into America if it were the UK instead?

Interesting article from CNN about the far right and immigration in Europe. Can any of the Europeans comment?

With jobs and financial opportunities at a premium, Marchetti said, many young fascists see immigration as “a real threat to society and their work.”

“The recent Mediterranean revolution, the so-called Arab Spring, has amplified the seed of fear and racial intolerance among young people in much of Europe,” Marchetti said.

http://cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2014/...ope/?hpt=hp_c4

I love it. Someone from another country illegally enters your country, takes the jobs, steals money from the state, attacks the people, deals drugs, etc. etc. etc., and if you complain you're a racist.

Yeah... and my 96-year-old grandmother who worked in a converted cotton mill making parachutes during WWII doesn't have prescription drug coverage under medicare! I am about to be an extremely LOUD RACIST!
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

That's despicable Heidi that your grandmother doesn't get drug coverage. Anyone here in Canada gets medications free once they hit 65 years old. However, there was a stink raised a while ago because Canadians were complaining about immigrants coming here and getting drug coverage, while poor working families did not qualify, and also refugees getting fast tracked for subsidized housing, while there are Canadian-born people who have been waiting years to get into affordable housing.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindExecutioner View Post
    Interesting article from CNN about the far right and immigration in Europe. Can any of the Europeans comment?]With jobs and financial opportunities at a premium, Marchetti said, many young fascists see immigration as “a real threat to society and their work.”

“The recent Mediterranean revolution, the so-called Arab Spring, has amplified the seed of fear and racial intolerance among young people in much of Europe,” Marchetti said.
    As I'm sure you're well aware, World War Two has long been over. Dyed-in-the-wool fascists are now a fringe minority in Italy and are simply not worth concerning oneself over.

As I wrote earlier, most Italians are not entirely opposed to immigration in principle. However, a great many are opposed to what has become seemingly unlimited illegal immigration. Lots of Italians also distinguish between different groups. The most feared and loathed of all illegals are not black (sub-Saharan) Africans (so, you can put aside the tedious, facile charge of racism), rather they are young Arab men (especially from Morocco and Tunisia) and young Albanian men. These two groups are especially dreaded because of their propensity for rape and all sorts of other violence and criminal activity. The fear of them is fact-based and has little to do with out-and-out racism. Indeed, Albanians and North Africans are often quite similar in appearance to Italians; whereas, sub-Saharan Africans, Filipinos and Chinese couldn't look much more different (that is, be more "racially" different) than most Italians and, yet, they aren't feared and despised nearly as much as Albanians and North Africans are.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKindExecutioner View Post
    So Richard or anyone else from the UK how do your immigration laws compare to the USA? Are the equivalent of 12 to 20 million illegals in the UK now like there are here?

How does the UK deal with people who cross their border illegaly? How would the UK deal with all those thousands of illegal kids who crossed into America if it were the UK instead?
    There have been some recent high profile deportations of people who'd arrived in the UK illegally, some of whom as children.

The system in Britain should catch most people residing illegally (although quite what the problem with someone living in Britain, not working and not using any public services and not committing any crime is...), it's nigh on impossible to rent somewhere without drawing the attention of the apparatus of state for example. Only place I can think of that's different is London where there are slum flats with dodgy landlords, but London more or less behaves as a different country to the rest of Britain.

Thing is because there are high profile illegal immigrant cases, or those who are not strictly illegal, but are clearly abusing the system, it makes government policy to restrict legal immigrants very popular. I've mentioned the American scientist example, but there was also my girlfriend (from another EU country) who had to travel to the other side of London (where we don't live) early in the morning, in order to have a National Insurance number "interview" which essentially amounted to checking her passport (she doesn't need a visa due to the EU). Couldn't they have done that in the employment office where we live, or even at the British embassy in her country, being as it's urm... a minimum wage job that someone working in a shop can do! I also know a Brazilian PhD student who's found that she'll need to apply for a new visa to come back to the UK in order to do her viva! She says the visa rules for her change weekly.

Another common moan is that EU workers can reclaim all the tax they've paid in the UK, which isn't strictly true. What actually happens is that your tax liability in the UK is related to how much money you earned in a complete tax year that you were in the UK. So for example I was planning to move to Switzerland next August if we don't get the grant we're applying for, but I'd have paid tax in the UK for May to August, at a rate that assumes I've been working that entire tax year, so I'd be entitled to the same tax refund as a foreigner would be even though I'm British. Perhaps to be equitable, the UK could negotiate tax treaties with other countries so that workers can be transitioned from one country to another easily?

Heidi, I sent you a PM about a free prescription drug plan that could help your grandma and you too if you want it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information