Thread: Duryea Bennett Sentenced in 2014 AZ Murder of One-Month-Old Natalyah Bennett

Duryea Bennett Sentenced in 2014 AZ Murder of One-Month-Old Natalyah Bennett

Duryea Bennett

Dead baby had fractured skull, broken ribs, bite marks; father arrested

by azfamily.com

PHOENIX -- Phoenix police say they have arrested the father in the suspicious death of a 1-month-old girl.

Police spokesman Sgt. Trent Crump said the father, Duryea Bennett, will be charged with murder and child abuse.

Police and firefighters responded to a 911 call near 43rd Avenue and Baseline Road just after 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Crump said the caller gave limited information about a child being injured.

Based on the information received, the call was dispatched as a drowning incident, according to Phoenix Fire Capt. Tony Mure.

He said the incident apparently happened in a bathtub but had not officially been ruled a drowning.

Natalyah Bennett had no vital signs when first responders arrived on the scene.

According to Sgt. Trent Crump, paramedics noticed bruising as they worked on her and rushed her to Phoenix Children's Hospital. As doctors at PCH tried to save Natalyah, they discovered that the baby was more than bruised.

"The hospital staff found numerous injuries to the infant to include numerous bruises, a skull fracture, fractured ribs, bite marks and injuries consistent with a sexual assault," Crump wrote in an email to media outlets.

Natalyah died at the hospital.

Her mother was not home at the time of the incident, but there were six other children in Bennett's care, including Natalyah's twin sister. The oldest of those kids is 14.

"None of the other children showed signs of abuse however the investigation is ongoing," according to Crump.

Police arrested Bennett, 39, on suspicion of first-degree murder and child abuse.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Phoenix...278607721.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Defendant has case management conference scheduled on 9/26/2019

https://superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/m...e-list/?q=&t=7
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

He was admitted on 8/24/2021 for manslaughter and given 11 yrs. and 6 mths.

https://corrections.az.gov/public-re...ate-datasearch

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information