Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by ProDP View Post
    I agree. If Illinois were to reinstate it, that would be excellent. I am worried too about Wolf winning in PA, for Hubert Michael Jr, Mark Spotz and others, they may never see their date set again. Btw, I just saw that Bruce Rauner, the Republican governor just elected in Illinois wants the DP reinstated there.
    Rauner already said he wants to bring the death penalty back so I hope he does!

In the near future, bringing capital punishment back to Illinois is highly unlikely since both legislative chambers remain overwhelmingly Democratic.

Jan
    It's the G20 in Brisbane, Australia, and the German chancellor Angela Merkel walked to a pub, shook hands and made selfies with native Australians

One comment on a news page: Absolutely incredible! You have to ask why nobody could get probably 200m in Obama zone or 2 kilometers in Putin zone but here you have Europe's most powerful leader in physical face contact with a Brisbanite for a selfie and nobody seemed too bothered.

Edited:

Eric Holder on His Legacy, His Regrets, and His Feelings About the Death Penalty

By BILL KELLER and TIM GOLDEN

The Obama administration came in advocating transparency in the business of the federal government. Why hasn’t the Justice Department gotten involved in litigation in Oklahoma, Missouri, Florida and elsewhere involving transparency as it relates to lethal injection drugs? You’ve got all these states going to enormous lengths to keep secret the nature of the drugs they use. You guys have stayed out of those cases even when the states have tried to keep that information from judges.

What the president has asked me to do is to review the death penalty. Among the things we’re looking at are the protocols that we use. There’s essentially been a moratorium in the federal system, and given the issues that we have around these questions of drugs, where you get them, it will be interesting to see how that moratorium ultimately resolves itself.

This is something the president has asked me to look at. My hope is to have a report on his desk before I leave as attorney general, both with regard to the protocols and the policy behind the death penalty, or the use of the death penalty.

I think that the issue is made real when you look at some of the things that have happened in the states over the last year or so, where you had these botched executions, where you had an inability to get the appropriate drugs. We’ve had doctors unwilling to participate in the process. I think this is pushing this country toward some really fundamental questions about – even though, you know, people still support the death penalty by 55 percent, or WHATEVER THE NUMBER IS – some fundamental questions about continued use of the death penalty.

There was an execution that was just stayed by the Supreme Court in Missouri, that had to do in part with a case in which a defendant MISSED THE DEADLINE FOR FILING A HABEAS CLAIM IN FEDERAL COURT. That deadline came from the 1996 Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act. You were around when that came into being. Is that part of the array of issues that you’re looking at?”

Yeah, I would think so. When you’re talking about the ultimate penalty, when you’re talking about the state taking someone’s life, there has to be a great deal of flexibility within the system to deal with things like deadlines. There is always a need for finality in the system, that is a good thing. But there has to be enough flexibility so that you can look at the substance of a claim, especially when the death penalty is at stake. If you rely on process to deny what could be a substantive claim, I worry about where that will lead us.

I disagree very much with JUSTICE SCALIA’S certitude that we have never put to death an innocent person. It’s one of the reasons why I personally am opposed to the death penalty. We have the greatest judicial system in the world, but at the end of the day it’s made up of men and women making decisions, tough decisions. Men and women who are dedicated, but dedicated men and women can make mistakes. And I find it hard to believe that in our history that has not happened.

I think at some point, we will find a person who was put to death and who should not have been, who was not guilty of a crime.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...-death-penalty
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information