Thread: Expecting Death Row Inmates to just give up and die

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar

Expecting Death Row Inmates to just give up and die

Let me first say I support fully executing those who have murdered children and murdered more than one person. Capital punishment will always have issues and not everyone executed was executed justly(innocent people, law of parties, etc.)

One common theme I have found among extreme pro-death penalty proponents(most I guess would be Democrats, since they happen to support abortion as well) is that they just expect those being executed to lay down and be like ok come and kill me no problem. Human beings like all other animals want to live so they aren't just going to lie down without a fight(whether physical or legal) when they know they are going to be killed. Doesn't take a genius to recognize self-preservation instinct.

I fully recognize that 80% of those being given a death sentence deserve it and support them being executed. I also fully recognize that those murderers are selfish and are going to do everything they can to try and stay alive. Whether you think they should make an effort to stay alive is a completely different issue on whether they will or not, even the smallest cell wants to maintain its instinct as much as possible. Read the selfish gene by Richard Dawkins

Most death row inmates do try to keep living. Even the ones who claim they "found god". They are hypocrites to the core. In more ways than one!

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    I think the only grounds for appeal should be arguing that the sentence is disproportionate relative to the sentences given to similar crimes or other participants in the same crime (and this would have to be argued convincingly by the claimant), the only case where I've seen this is Tommy Lee Waldrip. The only other grounds of appeal should be actual innocence, in which case the defendant should be required to put forward a testable claim, not put forward at the trial, that would either disprove or call into serious question the defendant's guilt.

The needle hurting, or constitutional objection to the death penalty itself are not valid grounds for appeal for any specific inmate. These are issues that should be resolved generally for all inmates.

lolli
    Most death row inmates spend 8 plus years on death row waiting for their appeals to be exhausted and their execution date to be set. This is evidence enough for me that nobody is expecting these individuals to accept their lot and die. When we had capital punishment here in the UK, prisoners were lucky if they got a week after the end of their trial before meeting the hangman. Of course, innocent people were executed but my point is, that isn't how it is in the US - I believe they get more than enough time to prove either their innocence or that their sentence should be commuted.

Thread Information