Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Endgame: The End of the Death Penalty

We are now almost into March and we haven't seen anyone besides Smith receive a serious execution date so far this year from the states.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

COVID is going to be reason for this. How pathetic are these states? Don’t even get me started on DeSantis on how pathetic he’s been.
    Last edited by Neil; 02-20-2021 at 03:14 PM.

It's the excuse they needed to stop. The fact they we aren't seeing any bills being passed in states, that actually execute to make the progress faster is proving my hypothesis that the death penalty is dead in the water.
    Last edited by Mike; 02-20-2021 at 03:19 PM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Tennesse is the biggest one with this. It’s been good while it lasted.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ...I think the executions that happened between 10 to 20 years we’re worthwhile for today’s executions. Once the appeals stretch over 20 years they aren’t worth carrying out...
    JLR + Neil = DPIC

Who want to believe this trick?:

If you have a badly enforced death penalty, it don’t fulfill its purpose. If you have a well enforced death penalty, you have frequent miscarriages of justice.

Both claims are indeed grounded on anecdotes and abusive generalizations.

As for Covid it is not an excuse it can be a serious problem. But it will not be eternal.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 02-20-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

Why did the federal government execute during all last year if Covid was such a big problem? why can’t Tennessee execute they keep giving COVID related stays. DeSantis hasn’t even signed a warrant since September of 2019.

Ever hear the term justice delayed is justice denied Steven? It’s not at all fair to those victims that those executions delayed for so long. In a lot of cases they caused a lot of stress and turmoil to them wondering when they’re going to carried out. Willie Crain is still on death row the father literally had a heart attack wondering when they’ll carry his execution out and that was in 2011.
    Last edited by Neil; 02-20-2021 at 03:54 PM.

– I agree that it is more a political than a sanitary problem. Politicians often can't handle multiple controversial situations at a same time. DeSantis is unduly criticized for his work on Covid and he must use all of his speech to defend it. He has little room to explain why the crisis does not require delaying executions since liberals have the media for them.

Look: even on this pro-death penalty website, posters say the same things that Robert Dunham.

– Even when the execution is scheduled after 20 or 30 years, victims often don’t call for its stay and travel to witness it at the correctional institution. And you claim that supporting the death penalty is renouncing to its enforcement for the well-being of these victims? Who can be fooled by this?

Justice delayed is justice denied is the rallying cry for swift and effective justice, not to abolish it.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 02-20-2021 at 05:29 PM.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

That’s why it’s important to go back to when we could execute within 3 years max. I don’t like it it’s not fair for them. It’s undue burden and stress. Crain is 71 now his words might be right he told the father he’ll never be executed for his crimes and at 71 it’s very likely he dies of old age on death row. The father had a heart attack for nothing.

I called for abolition in Texas because those inept politicians won’t do anything to change their ridiculous TCCA problems they’re the ones that passed that law and they don’t have the appetite to change it. While I didn’t put in that post the big Texas is a joke when it comes to executions anymore it can’t even execute 10 prisoners a year anymore and nobody cares enough to change that ridiculous law there. It’s absolutely disgraceful.

Ohio’s death penalty is an shambles right now and DeWine literally said there were wasn’t an appetite to change their protocol by the legislature. So it shows the politicians don’t care about depleting their death row population. They even passed a mental illness bill there this year which will reduce a good amount of their DR inmates to life in prison. The Pro life politicians in this country don’t care for tough on crime policies in this country anymore and the ones that are sponsoring Ohio’s repeal bill this year are pro life politicians.

Same thing happened in New Hampshire. The ones that override Sununus veto were pro life politicians. Had they sustained his veto New Hampshire’s death penalty would still be intact. I has this conversation with you yesterday and maybe you can see why I did so. If Texas and Ohio were to put in politicians that care for the death penalty I wouldn’t be on here calling for abolition. Texas still has Abbott at least to carry out executions but DeWine in Ohio is a huge problem and wasn’t that way when he was attorney general.
    Last edited by Neil; 02-20-2021 at 05:05 PM.

I believe the reason Tennessee hasn’t been execution is cause they only have 2 witness areas. One for injection and one for electrocution. When an execution occurs in Tennessee everyone is in one confined space. Victims and killers witnesses and the media. I can understand the risks involved but they should’ve fixed it by now
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information