Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: De'Marquis Elkins Sentenced in 2013 GA Slaying of 13-month-old Antonio West

De'Marquis Elkins Sentenced in 2013 GA Slaying of 13-month-old Antonio West

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) -- Police arrested two teenagers Friday who are suspected in the shooting death of a 13-month-old baby in a stroller and wounding the baby's mother during an attempted robbery.

Seventeen-year-old De'Marquis Elkins is charged as an adult with first-degree murder, along with a 14-year-old who was not identified because he is a juvenile, Police Chief Tobe Green said.

Police announced the arrest Friday afternoon after combing school records and canvassing neighborhoods searching for the pair. The chief said the motive of the "horrendous act" was still under investigation and the weapon had not been found.

The mother, Sherry West, wept Friday while she told The Associated Press that she pleaded with the gunman and a younger accomplice who approached her Thursday morning while she walked near their home in coastal Brunswick.

"He asked me for money and I said I didn't have it," she said. "When you have a baby, you spend all your money on babies. They're expensive. And he kept asking and I just said `I don't have it.' And he said, `Do you want me to kill your baby?' And I said, `No, don't kill my baby!'"

West said the gunman fired four shots, the first into the ground. West didn't see a shell casing ejected and she assumed the gun wasn't real.

Then he fired at her head and the bullet grazed her left ear - she has a small scab and bruising there. He fired again and shot her in the left leg above the knee. "I didn't know I was hurt."

"The boy proceeded to go around to the stroller and he shot my baby in the face," she said. "And then he just shoved me when I started screaming and he ran down London Street with the little boy."

The mother lives in a rented house in the city's Old Town historic district. Beverly Anderson's husband owns the property and she said West has lived there for six or seven years.

"We're just very sorry about what happened and very aghast that something could happen in our little neighborhood," Anderson said. "It's a quiet, safe little neighborhood."

She said West stayed home to care for her baby, who was often spotted in his mother's arms.

"The house has a front porch with a swing and we'd see him out on the swing with his mother," Anderson said. "He was a happy, cheerful baby."

It's not the mother's first loss of a child to violence. Sherry West said her 18-year-old son, Shaun Glassey, was killed in New Jersey in 2008. She still has a newspaper clipping from the time.

Glassey was killed with a steak knife in March 2008 during an attack involving several other teens on a dark street corner in Gloucester County, N.J., according to news reports from the time.

"He and some other boys were going to ambush a kid," Bernie Weisenfeld, a spokesman for the Gloucester County prosecutor's office, told the AP Friday.

Glassey was armed with a knife, but the 17-year-old target of the attack was able to get the knife away from him "and Glassey ended up on the wrong end of the knife," Weisenfeld recalled.

Prosecutors decided the 17-year-old would not be charged because they determined that he acted in self-defense.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-22-16-18-27

http://www.facebook.com/demarquise.elkins
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Antonio Santiago

This photo provided Friday by Sherry West, of Brunswick, Ga., shows her son Antonio Santiago celebrating his first Christmas in December of 2012. West says a teenager trying to rob her at gunpoint Thursday asked "Do you want me to kill your baby?" before he fatally shot 13-month-old Antonio in the head. West was walking with Antonio in his stroller near their home in coastal Brunswick.
    Courtesy of Sherry West/AP

DeMarquis has absolutely NO DEFENSE for this horrendous murder!

Make sure to check out the Facebook page before it is taken down.

http://www.facebook.com/demarquise.elkins

choice quote from his FB page "ME IN MY NIGGA"S A TURN UR BLO5K IN TO MURDER SCENE"

Senior Member Frequent Poster elsie's Avatar
    Sick to death at this. Another slug for the prison system.

Thank goodness the Supreme Court ruling only abolished life without parole as a mandatory sentence for juvenile offenders.

Well, Thanks to The Supreme Court, this POS can't be executed, but he sure as Hell deserves it. They could execute him now if it was legal, but I have little doubt he would have been on Death Row eventually.

Georgia woman says she's certain teenage robbery suspect shot her baby

Luis Santiago tries to comfort Sherry West at her apartment Friday, March 22, 2013, in Brunswick, Ga., the day after their 13-month-old son, Antonio Santiago, was shot and killed. West says she was walking her baby in his stroller when a teenage gunman demanding money shot the baby in the face and shot her in the leg. (AP Photo/Russ Bynum)

The mother of a baby gunned down in his stroller says she has no doubt a teenage suspect is the man who killed her 13-month-old son, but family members say he wasn't anywhere near the scene.

"That's definitely him," Sherry West said Saturday when she saw the jail mugshot of 17-year-old De'Marquise Elkins, who is charged as an adult with first-degree murder. Police also arrested a 14-year-old who has not been identified because he's a minor.

"We're trying to determine which one actually was the shooter," police spokesman Todd Rhodes said Saturday.

But West said she was certain the gunman was the older suspect. "He killed my baby, and he shot me, too," she said.

On Thursday morning, West was pushing Antonio Santiago in his stroller after a trip to the post office. She said a teen, accompanied by a smaller boy, asked her for money.

"And he kept asking, and I just said, 'I don't have it.' And he said, 'Do you want me to kill your baby?' And I said, 'No, don't kill my baby!'" she said.

One of the teens fired four shots, then walked around to the stroller and shot the baby in the face.

Police announced the arrests of Elkins and the 14-year-old Friday afternoon. But Elkins' older sister said her family knows he wasn't involved in the shooting.

"My brother wasn't anywhere near that area as far as we know — not the scene or the shooting," she said Saturday. She said she didn't know whether Elkins had a lawyer.

"He couldn't have done that to a little baby," she said. "My brother has a good heart."

She said her brother had been living in Atlanta and returned to Brunswick only a few months ago. Typically, he would come by her house in the morning and they'd go to breakfast. But Friday morning, police came to her door as her brother was approaching along the sidewalk.

"The police came pointing a Taser at him, telling him to get on the ground," she said. "He said, 'What are you getting me for? Can you tell me what I did?'"

On Saturday, police released recordings of three 911 calls made by West's neighbors right after the shooting.

One caller, sobbing, tells the operator she heard three gunshots. The woman says she saw the mother lay the child on the ground to try to revive him with CPR.

"Yes, I heard the shots. Somebody shot this child," the caller said. "She's got him on the ground. Please, we need everything we can get."

One caller solemnly tells an operator: "No, the baby's not breathing." He says the child was shot "right between the eyes."

A woman can be heard screaming in the background just before police arrive and sirens drown out her cries.

No callers reported seeing the shootings, and police said the three calls were the only ones they knew of.

At her apartment Saturday, West had filled several bags with her son's clothes and diapers to donate to charity. She said she hopes prosecutors pursue the death penalty in the case.

"My baby will never be back again," West said, sobbing. "He took an innocent life. I want his life, too."

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/geor...es_certai.html

Baby Shot in Stroller Was Mom’s Second Son To Die in Violent Attack

This story has been difficult to believe from the beginning. And the latest details make it even stranger. The mom of the 13-month-old baby who was shot and killed in his stroller in broad daylight Thursday was no stranger to tragedy. She had already lost a son to violence. Sherry West’s 18-year-old son Shaun Glassey died five years ago after he was stabbed. Meanwhile, West says she is sure the 17-year-old police arrested is the one who killed her son. The 17-year-old, along with a 14-year-old who was also arrested, allegedly shot the baby after the woman refused to give them money. One of them apparently fired four shots, one of which hit West in the leg, before shooting the baby in the face. Yet the 17-year-old’s family insists he was nowhere near the scene of the crime at the time, reports the Associated Press.

Police on Saturday released recordings of three 911 calls placed right after the shooting. "A baby has been shot!" one woman said in one of the calls, according to CNN. None of the callers reported having seen the shooting, although they do say they heard the gunshots. One woman was apparently so distraught during the phone call that she passed the phone to a passerby. "No, the baby is not breathing," the man told the operator. "The baby was shot in the head?" the operator continued. "Yes, right between the eyes," the man said.

West told the AP she hopes prosecutors seek the death penalty. "My baby will never be back again," West said. "He took an innocent life. I want his life, too."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...on_to_die.html

Baby-shooting suspect has alibi, aunt says, but child’s mother is certain he’s the gunman

The mother of a baby shot dead in his stroller took one look at a teenage suspect’s jailhouse mugshot Saturday and said he was definitely the killer. Yet an aunt of the teen said he was eating breakfast with her when the slaying took place.

Despite the conflicting stories, police have charged 17-year-old De’Marquise Elkins with murder, along with a 14-year-old suspect whose name has been withheld because he’s a juvenile.

Brunswick police spokesman Todd Rhodes said even though Elkins’s aunt provided an alibi, authorities have good reason to bring the charges.

“That’s what she’s saying, but the evidence we’re looking at says something else,” Rhodes said, though he would not elaborate.

Also Saturday, police in this coastal port city released emergency call recordings from neighbours who sobbed and pleaded for help right after 13-month-old Antonio Santiago was shot in the head a few blocks from his mother’s apartment.

Sherry West said she was pushing her baby in his stroller as she walked home from the post office Thursday morning. She said a teenager, with a younger boy behind him, approached and asked her for money. West said when she told him she had no money, the teen drew a gun and said: “Do you want me to kill your baby?”

The gunman opened fire and West was shot in the leg, while another bullet grazed her left ear, she said. She watched helplessly as the gunman shot her son in the face, she said.

Two teddy bears, a vase of flowers and a decorative cross had been left Saturday against a wooden fence near the shooting scene.

Katrina Freeman said Saturday the shooter can’t be her nephew, Elkins, because he showed up at her house Thursday at 8:15 a.m. – roughly an hour before the killing. She said she cooked eggs, grits and sausage for breakfast and that Elkins accompanied her and her children to run errands when they left at about 11:30 a.m.

“He was with us the whole time,” said Freeman, adding that she gave police the same account of her nephew’s whereabouts. “There is no doubt in my mind that he is innocent.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle10262290/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information