Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak

Closing of business happened to early and the stay at home orders aren't being followed. While driving to work I can see hundreds of people walking around, biking and playing. All this is doing is hurting businesses and creating another depression. As we can see hasn't been effective at cutting the virus off simply lowering the amount of infections. The state governors either go all in and actual ENFORCE a stay at home or open everything back up, halfassing this isn't stopping it.

I live in Bucks County one of the first counties that had a shutdown in this nation. At multiple locations where I work there have been infected people, the places where my parents work there are infected people. I have to touch every single door at my work locations for a living, my company has had to layoff half of our workforce because we've lost so many clients. I've lost half of my workload in the first week of the order going down. The government response so far has only helped big box companies and no one else. Typical.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Stopping the virus isn't even the goal anymore, just keeping the bodies from piling up waiting for an ICU bed is the standard. Slowing the infection rate while ramping up capacity is the order of the day.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    This one is to sketch what is happening on a huge scale throughout Europe and probably already in New York too.

This evening a Dutch IC doctor told about his conversation with an 83-year old man with corona. The man had been through the "triage tent" in which they decide who lives and who dies. He was send in the direction nobody wants to go to.

The man refused to accept the verdict and was received in the so-called "shock room". The IC doctor there tried to convince the man that the IC wouldn't benefit him. Still the man refused to accept his fate, and insisted on IC help.

This is the conversation they had, according to the doctor:

Doctor: You're 83 years old, you've had hart and lung problems in the past. You're chances of surviving an IC hospitalisation are small, so perhaps you shouldn't do this to yourself.

Man: I make music. I still play in a rock band, I play the drums. I'm still very active and want to continue to do so. (With gestures he tried to show the doctor how he was still able to move quickly while playing the drums, in order to convince him he deserved a place on the IC)

Doctor: This is a lost battle. I'm sorry, but this is where your music stops.

------

And then imagine the number of times the doctors have these conversations. I don't think anyone of them went into medical training with the idea they would ever have to do this.
    Last edited by Alfred; 03-28-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Alfred, that story truly is a heartbreaker. All four of my grandparents were in their eighties when they died, and several other of my relatives and ancestors died in their nineties. Losing an older relative is never easy, let alone if it seems preventable such as the case you made mention of.

Mike you are correct that half and half isn't cutting it. It's just prolonging everything and exacerbating the economic harm. Either close everything and provide direct payments to citizens until it's over or shutter everything and actually enforce the stay home orders. I'll admit I'm not a fan of limiting individual freedom, as Neil has said. I'm at least somewhat inclined to believe that the government is testing just how easily people will acquiesce to restrictions on liberty. But on the other hand, extraordinary action that borders on authoritarianism is sometimes required in extreme circumstances. And sometimes the individualism and selfishness endemic to libertarianism and liberal democracy will be the death of orderly society if not sometimes checked with law and order.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Floridians practicing social distancing at church this morning

"I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    My church could take in 60 people from other, more crowded churches, and still have everyone six feet apart; even more if families that sleep under the same roof cluster together.

Wuhan residents estimate, based on calculations of cremations and urns now being returned to families, that between 42k-46k (!!) died in city + surrounding areas in the 2.5 months of lockdown. Far more than official figure of 2535 deaths.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/chi...020182846.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

UK Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jenny Harries warns that the UK could be up to 6 months before life can return to some kind of normality. At current, 19,522 confirmed cases and 1,228 have since died of COVID-19.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Ryan, those are horrendous counts!

The hellovit is that, no matter when the shelter-in-places and quarantines end, even if they lift by mid-April or so, it'll take months and months to restore all these economies.
    "Sorry for the delay, I got caught in traffic." — Rodney Scott Berget, South Dakota, October 29, 2018 — final words.

Katherine Schwarzenegger begs Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti To Close Brentwood Farmer’s Market

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information